watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (21/09/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 21, 2010, 07:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/football/8404992.Speroni_wanted_Fulham_switch/

Palace keeper Speroni wanted Fulham switch

4:15pm Tuesday 21st September 2010

By Graham Moody »

Julian Speroni has revealed his disappointment at not completing a deadline day switch to Fulham.

The Premiership club made a last-ditch attempt to sign Crystal Palace's number one as a replacement for Arsenal target Mark Schwarzer, but talks between the Eagles and the Cottagers broke down.

Speroni has made no secret of his desire to play at the highest level and admitted he was keen on the move, but has no problems staying in SE25.

"Of course I knew of the interest and I must admit at the time it was a bit disappointing," said the 30-year-old.

"It was a good opportunity for me to go and play at the highest level but in the end I'm not sure how talks went and it is not myself that makes the last decision.

"I have been here a long time and I am very happy here so I have no problem staying.

"It was more the chance to play in the Premier League, not that I want to leave Palace.

"I am not thinking of that now though, I just want to concentrate on my football.

"I don't try to mix things.

"One thing is what happens off the pitch and the other is what I do on it."

Talks have begun between the Argentine and Palace over a new deal and Speroni is hoping to sit down with the Palace hierarchy again in the near future.

"We have had one meeting about the new contract already," said Speroni.

"We will have to meet again soon as we need to get together and keep talking."

Speroni was in fine form on Saturday as Palace secured their first clean sheet of the season with a 0-0 draw against Burnley, leaving manager George Burley delighted they turned down Fulham's overtures.

"We have a top class keeper in Julian and you could see why we worked very hard to keep him during the transfer window," he said.

"It doesn't surprise when he makes these kind of saves as he is someone who is still maturing.

"He has been an important player for this club, a joy to work with and someone who has a big personality.

"People here know full well what he can do as he has been player of the year for the last three seasons."