watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (02/02/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 02, 2018, 07:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Officials - Fulham v Nott'm Forest (3/2/18)

The Football League have now announced the Match Day officials that will take charge of the game between Fulham and Nottingham Forest this Saturday.

Fulham host Nottingham Forest on Saturday February 3 for the game at Craven Cottage and the match carries a 3pm kick off.

Referee: Tim Robinson
Assistant Refs: Andrew Fox and Robert Hyde
Fourth Official: James Linington

Match Day referee Robinson has officiated 32 games in 2017/18, showing 101 yellow cards and nine red cards already.

He took in 44 games in 2016/17 with a return of 185 yellow cards and nine red cards.

That year his highest card count was ten yellows in the game between Portsmouth and Wycombe Wanderers. He also showed nine yellows in the game between Leyton Orient and Exeter City.

He took charge of 43 games in 2015/16 and in those games, across all competitions and football divisions, he handed out a total of 149 yellow cards and nine red cards.

He was most card happy in the match between Yeovil and Carlisle in the FA Cup on January 19 where he showed a remarkable nine yellow cards and two reds.

Robinson was appointed to the EFL Referees List for the start of the 2012/13 season, taking charge of his first game between Southend United and Accrington Stanley. He was the fourth official at Wembley for the League Two Play-Off Final between AFC Wimbledon and Plymouth Argyle in May 2016. As part of the development programme, he represented the PGMOL at the Dallas Cup 2012 and at the Nike Cup in China in 2012.

Source - EFL.

Let`s hope it`s not another repeat and more of the players edge closer to automatic bans.

Read more: http://www.forest.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=589614#ixzz55vwGb7aY

WhiteJC

Cyrus Christie Secures 11th Hour Switch To Championship Rivals

Cyrus Christie's brief stay at Middlesbrough has come to an end with confirmation late last night that he has signed a three and a half year deal with another Championship club.

Christie, since leaving Derby County for the Teesiders last summer, made 26 appearances for the north-east outfit but has now secured a move to Craven Cottage where he will be lining out for Fulham.

The fee is undisclosed and it is also subject to deadline day clearance but the 25-year-old's arrival certainly excites Fulham's Director of Football, Tony Khan.

"I am very excited to welcome Cyrus into the Fulham family on a three-and-a-half-year deal.

"He is a fantastic young player who brings both an international pedigree and a wealth of Championship experience with him. I can't wait for him to join us and help the squad continue to push for promotion."

Fulham currently lies in 6th place in the EFL Championship and are just six points off an automatic promotion spot. They are three points ahead of his now former club, Middlesbrough and it will be interesting to see whether the West London side secure promotion to the Premier League come the end of the season.

To help achieve this, they have also bolstered their attacking options with the news that they have secured Newcastle United and Serbian striker, Alexander Mitrovic on loan until the end of the season.

http://www.punditarena.com/football/smcmahon/cyrus-christie-11th-hour-switch-championship/

WhiteJC

Fulham transfer window verdict: Slavisa Jokanovic has all the tools for a Premier League promotion push

After the double Deadline Day signing, Slavisa Jokanovic has been handed the tools needed to mount of a serious promotion push

What a last hour that was.

After the Stefano Okaka deal fell through it looked like it could be a quiet night in SW6 , with very little happening as the clock ticked its way down to the 11pm deadline.

But it's funny how a failed move at one club can open the door for so many opportunities.

Aleksandar Mitrovic, who had been in Belgium in the morning, was suddenly on a plane to Fulham to complete a move, while Middlesbrough fullback Cyrus Christie had popped up at Motspur to undergo a medical - all in the last half hour.

Last summer, Deadline Day was a bit of a disappointment to Fulham fans - a move for Dwight Gayle fell through but Yohan Mollo and Jordan Graham were signed, and it was easy to see why supporters were apprehensive heading into the final few hours.

But my word, Tony Khan and the recruitment team pulled it out of the bag and have now handed Slavisa Jokanovic all the tools necessary to mount not only a Play-off push, but an automatic promotion challenge to get into the Premier League.

After the outburst at the start of the window from the head coach, there was a worry that the recruitment team and Jokanovic weren't seeing eye to eye again, and it looked like it could be another one of those windows for Fulham.

But it only took a couple of more weeks for those fears to be extinguished, when Matt Targett arrived on loan from Southampton to fill that left back spot Jokanovic so desperately wanted.

Not only does that add a left back to the team that can play as wing back, but it also allows Fulham to unleash Ryan Sessegnon further forward - which they've been doing to devastating effect in recent weeks.

Michael Madl, Ragnar Sigurdsson, Yohan Mollo, Rafa Soares and Jordan Graham all departed the club, clearing space in the squad while freeing up wages, and crucially a loan space, for any more potential incomings.

Fulham have been crying out for a striker and a defender for a while now - and cometh Dealine Day, cometh the men.

Mitrovic, with Premier League and Championship experience, something Jokanovic was keen for, has the potential to be a stunning signing for the club, adding quality and experience to the current duo of Rui Fonte and Aboubakar Kamara.

New man: Aleksandar Mitrovic

(Image: Ker Robertson/Getty Images)

Christie, with Championship and international experience for the Republic of Ireland, is another one who knows the division, as well as adding cover at right back and in defence.

He might not be the centre back that some were hopeful for, but the club now have two players at right back with quality - Christie's signing will give competition to Fredericks who hasn't really had that before, and competition can only make a player better.

Fulham haven't stood still this window - the opportunity to get into not just the Play-offs, but the top two is doable for the club in the final part of the season, and the recruitment team have seen the opportunity and given Jokanovic the tools needed to mount a serious promotion push.

They're the form team, they're in Championship winning form in fact (Wolves are way too far ahead for the Whites to catch them) and now with quality reinforcements who knows where they will end up come May.

In terms of keeping players, this is where the club has really done well.

Teams were interested in Sessegnon, Fredericks and Tom Cairney, but Fulham's position all winter was that no key players would be sold, and they stuck to it.

All three remain at the club.

Forget the incomings, the fact the club were able to keep hold of those three key players shows how serious they are about getting into the Premier League.

It would've been easy to cash in, especially with Fredericks, but with the potential money the Premier League could bring, and the position the side are in, why not go for broke?

They haven't been in a better position since dropping down to the Championship to get back into the top flight.

I gave credit to the recruitment team after the summer window, I felt they had done well to add depth, if not overall quality, to the team.

This time around, I think Mr Khan has learnt from the summer, and last January to a degree, and added quality where Fulham have needed it.

I think it also shows what kind of model Fulham could be working with under James Lovell - all three signings were English based with either Premier League or Championship experience, something that hasn't been a key thing under Craig Kline's transfer model.

I imagine Jokanovic will be a very happy man in his press conference tomorrow - what a difference a month makes.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-window-fulham-slavisa-jokanovic-14231688

WhiteJC

Cyrus Christie joins Fulham from Middlesbrough in deadline day move

The Republic of Ireland defender beat the 11.00pm transfer deadline to sign a three-and-a-half year deal

Ireland's Cyrus Christie

Cyrus Christie landed a late night move to Fulham from Championship rivals Middlesbrough.

The Republic of Ireland defender beat the 11.00pm transfer deadline to sign a three-and-a-half year deal with the Londoners.

Cyrus Christie landed a late night move to Fulham from Championship rivals Middlesbrough.

The Republic of Ireland defender beat the 11.00pm transfer deadline to sign a three-and-a-half year deal with the Londoners.

He made 26 appearances for Middlesbrough in the first-half of the season but featured just three times since Tony Pulis took charge at Christmas.

Fulham's Director of Football, Tony Khan, said: "Cyrus is a fantastic young player who brings international pedigree and a wealth of Championship experience.

"I can't wait for him to join us and help the squad continue to push for promotion."

Meanwhile, Irish goalkeeper Stephen Henderson has joined Portsmouth for a second time.

The 29-year-old moves to the League One club from Championship side Nottingham Forest on a loan deal until the end of the season.

Henderson, who played for Pompey in 2011/12, said: "It's good to finally be back. It's been on the cards in the past and so I'm delighted to be here.

"I got a call in the morning and was on the motorway down to Portsmouth as soon as I got the green light."

Henderson continued: "My time here before was very short – that was out of my hands as everybody knows. I never really got settled after that.

"The club needed money back then and told me I was sold (to West Ham), but I'm back now, so it's happy days."

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/cyrus-christie-joins-fulham-middlesbrough-11952042#r3z-addoor

WhiteJC

Benitez will regret Mitrovic departure

OPINION

Rafa Benitez froze Aleksandar Mitrovic out at Newcastle United and with the star joining an exciting Fulham side on transfer deadline day, the Magpies boss will soon regret his decision to let him go.

Sky Sports confirmed on Wednesday that the Serbian international had joined Fulham on loan until the end of the season, and was in line to make his debut against Nottingham Forest on Saturday.

Mitrovic played seven times for Newcastle United this season scoring two goals, but found himself on the fringes of their squad.

The 23-year-old revealed in December that he felt he hadn't been given a chance this season, with Benitez opting to play Dwight Gayle and Joselu ahead of him.

"I have persistently waited for the chance over the past months and I do not welcome it," admitted Mitrovic, as quoted by the Daily Mirror.

"And the fact that I did not get a chance is simply not up to me, everyone knows that I was left unintentionally in the background."

It was a weird scenario that Mitrovic found himself in as Benitez wasn't willing to give him a run of games despite his side goalscoring problems.

Newcastle United have only scored 23 goals in 25 league games, which has been the main reason why they're only a point above the relegation zone.

Also Gayle and Joselu have only scored a combined total of seven goals despite both regularly featuring in the team.

When you consider Mitrovic is only five goals short of the striking duo combined, it seems like a foolish decision to have let him go.

However, the Magpies boss was thought to have been less than impress with Mitrovic's disciplinary record as he managed to earn himself a suspension this season despite hardly featuring.

Even though this might be the case, surely it might have been best to forgive and forget in order to do what was best for the club, and play a centre-forward capable of scoring goals.

Ahead of joining Fulham, Mitrovic looked like he was heading to Anderlecht where he would be out of sight and out of mind, but now that he's gone to Fulham, Benitez will be forced to see he has made a horrible mistake.

The 23-year-old will no doubt score plenty of goals in a very attacking Fulham side, as they have the ability to score for fun given their attacking threats of Ryan Sessegnon, Tom Cairney and Aboubakar Kamara.

Mitrovic may have only scored four Championship goals with the Magpies, but playing in Fulham's side given their current form, he'll grab over double that with half of the season to go.

The Serbian international will get a lot of attention as England's second-tier garners a ton of media coverage, which will see Benitez be force to regret letting another side benefit from a clinical Mitrovic.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/02/blogs/premier-league/benitez-will-regret-mitrovic-departure/

WhiteJC

Reliable journalist predicts a summer war for signature of key Fulham man

Fulham are expected to face a battle to keep hold of teenage superstar Ryan Sessegnon in the summer, according to Sky Sports reporter Lyall Thomas on Twitter.

The 17-year-old announced himself last season after breaking into the Cottagers first team on a regular basis, banging in five goals in only seventeen starts.

However it is this season that the player has seriously shone, with Sessegnon already amassing an incredible eleven goals from his left back berth in only twenty-nine outings.

The Roehampton-born England U19 international is tipped for big things, with the likes of Manchester United, Tottenham and Real Madrid all reportedly interested in the future England international.

Thomas expects a scramble in the summer, with Europe's elite set to battle it out to secure the player's signature.

The Verdict

Sessegnon is without a doubt one of the brightest prospects in English, and perhaps even world football, with his form in the English second tier absolutely remarkable.

A defender scoring over ten goals a season is almost unheard of, let alone surpassing that landmark around the halfway stage of the campaign.

Sessegnon will go for huge money in the summer, and although that remains to be seen is where the teenager decides his future lies.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/reliable-journalist-predicts-a-summer-war-for-signature-of-key-fulham-man/

WhiteJC

U23s Host Blackburn

Peter Grant's Under-23 side face Blackburn Rovers at Motspur Park on Friday evening in a 7pm kick off.

They Whites come into this game off the back of their first loss in 10 league fixtures. A late comeback on Monday afternoon saw the Baggies finish 2-1 winners.

Fulham lost 4-0 in the reverse fixture back in late September, their biggest defeat of the season, however the Whites have only lost two matches since.

Fulham sit in the final play-off spot in the PL2 in fifth, Blackburn are second and also with two matches in hand over league leaders Aston Villa, trailing by two points.

Grant had this to say to fulhamfc.com after his side's 2-1 loss to West Brom:

"We will buckle ourselves down and start again, that is the beauty of football. We know what we have to do.

"Blackburn gave us a bit of a doing up there, they put us under pressure, we didn't have a few people available to us in that particular game and there were a few things that went their way as well.

"We know what we are up against, a very physical side that don't ask anyone questions.

"They put the ball forward and we have to match that. We will want to get the ball down and create chances. If we match their commitment with guile, I expect us to do well."

The match will be streamed live on fulhamfctv for subscribers, alliteratively, live updates will be provided on the Club's official twitter account, @FulhamFC.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/february/01/u23s-host-blackburn

WhiteJC

Forget Arsenal and Man United, Fulham were the true winners of the January transfer window

They strengthened their squad without losing their stars unlike so many other sides in January

Amid major interest from a number of Premier League clubs, Fulham retained their best players, plugged the holes in their squad and cut loose the deadwood no longer needed at Craven Cottage.

If any side can boast of 'winning' the January transfer window it has to be the one managed by Slavisa Jokanovic, himself a regular target for topflight teams with the cash to cause a Championship outfit to fear the worse.

There is a compelling argument that the Cottagers had a better month of business than any other club in the English game, let alone the second division.

Arsenal may have signed Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang but they lost Alexis Sanchez to Manchester United and saw another highly-rated prospect escape their clutches in Marcus McGuane. Chelsea's window was a mixed bag too.

Tottenham Hotspur fans were happy with Lucas Moura in otherwise quiet period while West Ham fans ended up rounding on their owners to protest the lack of incomings to reinforce David Moyes' squad - Crystal Palace have had their critics too.

Ryan O'Donovan has given his verdict on Fulham's work over the last few weeks for our friends at Get West London - who do you think were the masters of the transfer window in January?

Slavisa Jokanovic, manager of Fulham looks on prior to the Sky Bet Championship match between Fulham and Burton Albion at Craven Cottage. (Image: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images)

After the Stefano Okaka deal fell through it looked like it could be a quiet night in SW6 , with very little happening as the clock ticked its way down to the 11pm deadline.

But it's funny how a failed move at one club can open the door for so many opportunities.

Aleksandar Mitrovic, who had been in Belgium in the morning, was suddenly on a plane to Fulham to complete a move, while Middlesbrough fullback Cyrus Christie had popped up at Motspur to undergo a medical - all in the last half hour.

Last summer, Deadline Day was a bit of a disappointment to Fulham fans - a move for Dwight Gayle fell through but Yohan Mollo and Jordan Graham were signed, and it was easy to see why supporters were apprehensive heading into the final few hours.

But my word, Tony Khan and the recruitment team pulled it out of the bag and have now handed Jokanovic all the tools necessary to mount not only a Play-off push, but an automatic promotion challenge to get into the Premier League.

After the outburst at the start of the window from the head coach, there was a worry that the recruitment team and Jokanovic weren't seeing eye to eye again, and it looked like it could be another one of those windows for Fulham.

But it only took a couple of more weeks for those fears to be extinguished, when Matt Targett arrived on loan from Southampton to fill that left back spot Jokanovic so desperately wanted.

Not only does that add a left back to the team that can play as wing back, but it also allows Fulham to unleash Ryan Sessegnon further forward - which they've been doing to devastating effect in recent weeks.

Ryan Sessegnon of Fulham celebrates scoring his side's fifth goal during the Sky Bet Championship match between Fulham and Burton Albion at Craven Cottage. (Image: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images)

Michael Madl, Ragnar Sigurdsson, Yohan Mollo, Rafa Soares and Jordan Graham all departed the club, clearing space in the squad while freeing up wages, and crucially a loan space, for any more potential incomings.

Fulham have been crying out for a striker and a defender for a while now - and cometh Deadline Day, cometh the men.

Mitrovic, with Premier League and Championship experience, something Jokanovic was keen for, has the potential to be a stunning signing for the club, adding quality and experience to the current duo of Rui Fonte and Aboubakar Kamara.

Christie, with Championship and international experience for the Republic of Ireland, is another one who knows the division, as well as adding cover at right back and in defence.

He might not be the centre back that some were hopeful for, but the club now have two players at right back with quality - Christie's signing will give competition to Fredericks who hasn't really had that before, and competition can only make a player better.

Fulham haven't stood still this window - the opportunity to get into not just the Play-offs, but the top two is doable for the club in the final part of the season, and the recruitment team have seen the opportunity and given Jokanovic the tools needed to mount a serious promotion push.

They're the form team, they're in Championship winning form in fact (Wolves are way too far ahead for the Whites to catch them) and now with quality reinforcements who knows where they will end up come May.

In terms of keeping players, this is where the club has really done well.

Tom Cairney celebrates after scoring for Fulham against Leeds United in March 2017. (Image: Alex Pantling/Getty Images)

Teams were interested in Sessegnon, Fredericks and Tom Cairney, but Fulham's position all winter was that no key players would be sold, and they stuck to it.

All three remain at the club.

Forget the incomings, the fact the club were able to keep hold of those three key players shows how serious they are about getting into the Premier League.

It would've been easy to cash in, especially with Fredericks, but with the potential money the Premier League could bring, and the position the side are in, why not go for broke?

They haven't been in a better position since dropping down to the Championship to get back into the top flight.

I gave credit to the recruitment team after the summer window, I felt they had done well to add depth, if not overall quality, to the team.

This time around, I think Mr Khan has learnt from the summer, and last January to a degree, and added quality where Fulham have needed it.

I think it also shows what kind of model Fulham could be working with under James Lovell - all three signings were English based with either Premier League or Championship experience, something that hasn't been a key thing under Craig Kline's transfer model.

I imagine Jokanovic will be a very happy man in his press conference tomorrow - what a difference a month makes.

https://www.football.london/championship/forget-arsenal-man-united-fulham-14233676

WhiteJC

New Fulham signing issues message to fans

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic was incredibly busy in the final hours of the transfer window, with the Serbian boss looking to bolster his squad ahead of a push for the play-offs.

The Cottagers lie just inside the top six, and with the echoes of play-off heartbreak last season sure to still be resonating with the former Watford manager, Jokanovic will hope to go one step further this term and guide his side to a Premier League return.

A striker was procured in the form of Aleksandar Mitrovic from Newcastle on a loan deal until the end of the season, as well as the addition of Middlesbrough defender, Cyrus Christie.

The Irish international only linked up with the Teessiders from Derby in the summer, but was deemed surplus to requirements by new boss, Tony Pulis.

With a fresh challenge ahead of him at Fulham, the player cannot wait to get started.

"The club looks like it's going in the right direction," he told Fulham's official website.

"I'm looking forward to the challenge ahead, it's definitely a club that suits me.

"I'm eager to get going."

The Verdict

Christie is an experienced international and has plenty of exposure to second tier football, so this really is a top signing by Jokanovic.

The player impressed during his spell with Derby before things didn't quite work out at Boro despite the player appearing regularly, and Fulham now have plenty of options on either side of defence.

The Cottagers appear to be a club heading in the right direction as the player says, and the addition of Christie will go a long way in helping the club secure promotion this season.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/new-fulham-signing-issues-message-to-fans/

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic looking to lead Fulham promotion charge after 'stressful' deadline day

The Newcastle forward saw a deadline day loan move to Anderlecht fall through, but insists he is happy to have joined the Cottagers

Aleksandar Mitrovic (Image: Newcastle United)

Newcastle forward Aleksandar Mitrovic admitted his transfer deadline day was 'long and stressful' but is glad he has linked up with Fulham until the end of the season.

The Serbian forward had seemed set to return to former side Anderlecht on loan, but after flying to Brussels, that move fell through late in the day.

With Newcastle securing the loan signing of Islam Slimani, Mitrovic was left frantically searching for an alternative move, or he would have to face up to being the Magpies' fourth choice forward.

A move to French side Bordeaux had been mooted, but it was Championship side Fulham who Mitrovic opted for in the end.

And after completing a deal at the 11th hour, Mitrovic revealed it was the Cottagers' style of play and manager Slavisa Jokanovic that convinced him to move to West London.

"It was a really long and stressful day but I am here and I want to be here," Mitrovic told Fulham's official website.

"There were a lot of clubs (interested) but I chose Fulham, first of all because of the coach and second of all because of their style of football.

"Fulham have a young and good team and they have scored a lot of goals this season and last season as well.

"For me, Fulham played the best football in the Championship last season and they have continued to play like that this season as well."

Jokanovic is a fellow Serbian and Mitrovic revealed he had twice been in contact with the Fulham boss over a move in January..

The former Anderlecht forward has spoken openly about the need to play more football and he hopes his spell at Fulham will ensure he will remain Serbia's key forward at this summer's World Cup.

"He was a big player and now he is a big coach. He is a big name in Serbia," Mitrovic added.

"I talked with him yesterday and a few weeks ago and he told me his plans.

"It is a big thing for me and for my country after seven or eight years without a big competition.

"We are finally back where we should be and I am looking forward to it. Yes, I need games, I hope I will get games and I hope I will score goals."

The 23-year-old helped Newcastle win the Championship title last season.

For the most part, he played second fiddle to Dwight Gayle in the Magpies' pecking order, but he feels his experience of the division can help Fulham achieve automatic promotion.

"The key is to get promoted this season," Mitrovic continued.

"I think we should be in the top two. We are not at the moment but if we continue like this I think we have a big chance of getting promoted.

"The Championship is a really long competition and we have to go game by game but we will see.

"I played last season in the Championship with Newcastle and it is a really physical league.

"It is a marathon not a sprint and there is no easy games in this league. We are in the top six at the moment and we need to aim to get promoted.

"Fulham has a big history, we have good players, good staff and we have all that we need to get promoted."

Mitrovic enjoyed a positive relationship with Newcastle fans, and he hopes his passion on the pitch will help him establish a similar rapport with the Fulham supporters.

"I had a really good relationship with the fans of Newcastle since the first moment. I don't see why I can't do the same here.

"I am passionate and all fans are like this so I think we will have a good relationship."

Mitrovic is in line to make his Fulham debut on Saturday, as they welcome Nottingham Forest to Craven Cottage.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aleksandar-mitrovic-looking-lead-fulham-14234611

WhiteJC

Fulham v Nottingham Forest
SAT 03 Feb 2018  Championship
Venue: Craven Cottage

Fulham are on a seven-match unbeaten run in the Championship, winning six of those games to move into the play-off places

Fulham will assess captain Tom Cairney (knee) and forward Floyd Ayite (calf).

Defender Cyrus Christie and striker Aleksandar Mitrovic may make their debuts after joining on deadline day.

Nottingham Forest have seven new faces available after a hectic end to the January transfer window, but most of the players have not much game time.

Costel Pantilimon is likely to start in goal, with Joe Lolley, Lee Tomlin, Jack Colback, Adlene Guedioura and Ashkan Dejagah all in contention.

SAM's prediction
Home win 60%   Draw 23%   Away win 17%

SAM, the Sports Analytics Machine, is a super-computer built by @ProfIanMcHale of the University of Liverpool.

Match facts
    Fulham haven't won three consecutive league matches against Nottingham Forest since October 1952 (four in a row).
    Forest haven't ended on the losing side in both league matches against Fulham in a season since 2000-01, when Fulham were promoted to the Premier League.
    The Cottagers have won six of their past seven league games (D1), including each of the past four; they last won five or more in a row under Jean Tigana's stewardship (12 successive wins).
    Forest have failed to score in five of their past six Championship games, although they won their last away game against current league leaders Wolves.
    Fulham have scored a goal in the 88th minute or later in each of their past three Championship outings, winning with 90th-minute goals against both Barnsley and Middlesbrough.
    Indeed, Fulham have won 13 points from losing positions this season; two more points than any other Championship side.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42841901

WhiteJC

The Sean Davis Column

I'd turned the telly off and gone to bed last night, so I had no idea about our last minute transfers! I woke up this morning and saw it on Instagram, which was a great start to my day as I was over the moon about it. My honest opinion was that, because we were on such a good run, the board might have taken the approach that we didn't need new players. But fair play to everyone involved, to get two quality signings in on the last day is superb work. This window we've strengthened with a right-back, a left-back and a top striker, whilst also keeping Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon, so overall it's been a very productive window and I've been very pleased with our business.

Aleksandar Mitrović was the last one through the door, and he'll give us a real presence in both boxes. Aerially he's very good, he's strong, big. His main job will be to hit the back of the net and hopefully he can hit the ground running. I think the fans will definitely be happy with Mitrović, and if he puts himself about, works hard and scores goals then he can quickly become a crowd favourite. He's already got a connection with the gaffer so hopefully Slaviša can get the best out of him. Mitrović is a Premier League player, and he's looked at us and seen an opportunity to join a side who play an attractive standard of football.

I was pleasantly surprised with the arrival of Cyrus Christie. That gives the manager another string to his bow. Ryan Fredericks has been in great form this season, but both he and Christie can play further forward if need be, so that gives us another option. If those two are both playing on our right flank, imagine the pace we'd have going forward. Christie is a very, very good player, an Irish international who knows the division well. I've seen him many times over the years and he's quick, aggressive and good on the ball, so he's an ideal signing for us.

We had a perfect January with regards to our league form, and I think I'm probably like any other Fulham fan in terms of getting carried away with the table and how close we are to the automatic places. The players, though, have just got to concentrate on the next game, and that's Nottingham Forest at home. They've proved recently that on their day they can beat the likes of Arsenal and Wolves, but on the whole they've not had a great season. Our home form is spectacular at the moment, winning the last five, so it's one we can look forward to. We've got the momentum now so let's carry it on. Forest signed a lot of players on deadline day, including Jack Colback who I really like, but they won't have had a lot of time to gel. It will be nice to see Ashkan Dejagah back at the Cottage, but hopefully he doesn't score one of his trademark screamers!

Last time out we claimed a gritty 3-1 win at Oakwell. The red card changed the game in our favour but you've still got to score the goals. It was nice for Kevin McDonald to get on the scoresheet; he doesn't get many, but he bundled in what was a very, very important strike. And the goal scoring machine Ryan Sessegnon was doing his thing again, too, to cap what's been a fine month for him. It's a tough place to go, Barnsley, as they've got a young energetic side full of enthusiasm, so it was a great result.

Make sure you're at the Cottage next Saturday when the new boys could potentially make their debuts as we aim to secure a fifth straight league win when Nottingham Forest come to town.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/february/01/the-sean-davis-column

WhiteJC

Tim Ream interview: Red-hot Fulham targeting promotion to Premier League following last term's play-off anguish

Tim Ream has helped Fulham to six wins and a draw from their last seven matches (Source: Getty)

When asked to recall the scene in the dressing room after Fulham's hopes of a Premier League return were dashed by Reading in last season's play-off semi-final second leg, Tim Ream ends his answer unequivocally.

"Nothing needed to be said," the American defender tells City A.M. "We all knew just by looking at each other what our end goal was and where we wanted to be. There is no doubt we can get there."

Evidence suggests that Ream is on the money. Fulham are the Championship's form side and in the midst of a scintillating run which has seen the Cottagers win six and draw one of their last seven matches.

Slavisa Jokanovic's Fulham are the form team in the Championship (Source: Getty)

Following a home draw with Derby on 18 November, Slavisa Jokanovic's outfit were 17th with a stack of teams between them and the upper echelons, but their rise since has been stark.

"Losing in the play-offs like we did was not as much deflating as it was motivating," says Ream, whose side sit sixth, in the play-off places and just six points adrift of an automatic promotion slot.

"We came into the season with very high expectations of ourselves and we all put a lot more pressure on ourselves than maybe we did last year.

Aboubakar Kamara has scored seven goals for the Cottagers this season (Source: Getty)

"For whatever reason, it wasn't clicking. But it's all turned around now. In every game, all over the pitch, things are just clicking. We haven't done anything differently, done anything special or changed anything. We have just plugged away and it's turned around for us."

Fulham's bid for a first taste of top-flight football since 2014 was boosted this week by the loan signing of Newcastle and Serbia striker Aleksandar Mitrovic and the capture of Middlesbrough full-back Cyrus Christie.

The retention of skipper Tom Cairney despite a bid in the region of £15m from West Ham was another statement of intent which Ream is only too happy to reiterate.

Aleksandar Mitrovic joined Fulham on loan from Newcastle on transfer deadline day (Source: Getty)

"Promotion is the end game. You want to get there and stay there. Getting there is hard, staying there is even harder," he says.

"If you asked anyone in a Fulham shirt they would tell you the same thing. That's where we want to be, that's where all the players want to be. It's in our hands and down to us to get there."

In many ways Fulham's campaign mirrors Ream's stint at the club. The 30-year-old uses words such as "rocky" and "iffy" to reference the start to his Craven Cottage career, having joined from Bolton in 2015.

But his fortunes and performances improved and he is now a fixture at the heart of the Fulham defence as well as a notable favourite among supporters.

Ryan Sessegnon has been linked with a move away from Craven Cottage (Source: Getty)

"It sounds such a cliche but it's a comfort thing; we're not robots," adds Ream. "It's hard when you move teams and don't know anyone; it's a big adjustment.

"If you're not settled off the pitch and things aren't going well on it, it's a recipe for disaster. I have to give a lot of credit to the staff, who have really got the best out of everyone, including myself. Right now, I'm as comfortable, settled and happy as I have been and I think that's showing."

The St Louis-born centre-half is one of only a handful of players in the Fulham squad to have tasted life in the Premier League, having signed for Owen Coyle's Bolton from New York Red Bulls in 2012.

Ream's top-flight debut was a baptism of fire as he was thrust into action against Chelsea battleaxe Didier Drogba and Bolton slumped to a 3-0 reverse at Stamford Bridge.

Tim Ream played for Bolton Wanderers in the Premier League (Source: Getty)

He describes the Premier League as a "different animal" compared to the second tier, but his experience affords him an insight into what is required to succeed at the highest level.

Precocious 17-year-old Ryan Sessegnon – Fulham's top scorer this term with 11 goals – has been strongly linked with a move to the Premier League elite, with Manchester United oft-mooted suitors.

"He can be as good as he wants to be," adds Ream. "The things I have seen from him in a season and a half have been nothing short of incredible.

"He may not take a game over and completely control it but he is always in the right spots on both sides of the ball and that's hard to teach young kids these days. They want to go forward and do everything going one way but he has no problem doing the dirty bits.

"He is only going to get better and there is no doubt he is going to be at a top club whether in England or somewhere else."

Ream's United States failed to reach the 2018 World Cup (Source: Getty)

Had circumstances been different, Ream would have a World Cup at the season's end to contest but a shock defeat to Trinidad and Tobago in their final qualifier shattered the United States' hopes.

"It was probably my one shot to play at a World Cup and it's come and gone," says Ream. "I'd like to have one eye on a World Cup but it is nice to have both eyes wide open and fully focused on promotion."

A cause derived from anguish, drive, ambition and a smattering of star quality – that sombre Madejski Stadium changing room could be a very distant memory come May.

Tickets for Fulham v Nottingham Forest at Craven Cottage this Saturday (3pm kick-off) are on general sale priced from £25 adults and from £15 juniors (under 18s).

To purchase tickets, call the Fulham FC Ticket Office on: 0203 871 0810 or visit: www.fulhamfc.com/tickets

http://www.cityam.com/279928/tim-ream-interview-red-hot-fulham-targeting-promotion

WhiteJC

Jokanovic to make 1 change – Strongest 4-2-3-1 Fulham lineup to face Nottingham Forest

Predicted Fulham Lineup To Face Nottingham Forest In EFL Championship

Fulham have been on a good run of form and go into the match against Nottingham Forest full of confidence. Their moves in the transfer market have been modest but it has been important for them to hold on to players like Ryan Sessegnon.

This is a Fulham side overloaded with talent that occasionally doesn't perform as well as the players that are in the side suggest they should. They will be hoping to overcome an equally inconsistent Nottingham Forest this weekend.
Probable Fulham XI
Formation: 4-2-3-1
GK – Marcus Bettinelli

The upturn in Fulham's form has coincided with Bettinelli replacing David Button between the sticks at Craven Cottage. He will be hoping to keep his good form going again this weekend.
RB – Ryan Fredericks

Ryan Fredericks has begun to come of age in a Fulham shirt. The speedy right-back will provide width and cover for the attacking players.
CB – Tim Ream

The USA international is a calm presence at the heart of the Fulham defence, and having played so many games for them this year, he cannot be overlooked.
CB – Tomas Kalas

Tomas Kalas had an excellent game against Barnsley last time out and will be looking to continue his good form this weekend.
LB – Matt Targett

Matt Targett came on at halftime against Barnsley and had a real positive impact on Fulham. Will surely start this game.
DM – Kevin McDonald

McDonald was at the heart of everything that was good about Fulham last time out, provides vital defensive cover, while also being able to break forward and help attacks – an all-round player.
DM – Oliver Norwood

The Northern Irish international is a tireless worker and a creative presence in the middle of the park for Fulham.
RW – Lucas Piazon

Having recovered from injury, Piazon can only go back to doing what he does best, scoring goals. He has a point to prove to a management team that has shown a lot of faith in him.
AM – Stefan Johansen

Being at home, Jokanovic may be tempted to start the more attack-minded Aboubakar Kamara but Johansen will provide solidity as well as creativity.
LW – Ryan Sessegnon

The young attacker managed two second-half goals last time out and will be hoping to add to his goal tally now that he is playing further forward.
ST – Rui Fonte

The big man up front knows his role, which is to let the talented and smaller attacking players around him shine.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/02/02/jokanovic-to-make-1-change-strongest-4-2-3-1-fulham-lineup-to-face-nottingham-forest/

WhiteJC

Fulham favourite Sean Davis believes Forest have made a good acquisition in Jack Colback

Fulham host Nottingham Forest this weekend with Jack Colback a new signing for the Reds.

Former player Sean Davis has written in his column on Fulham's official website that he likes new Nottingham Forest signing Jack Colback as the Reds travel down to Craven Cottage this weekend.

Fulham had a successful transfer window deadline day with the arrival of Aleksander Mitrovic and Cyrus Christie, yet it was Forest who surprised most with as many as six new players moving to the City Ground.

New boss Aitor Karanka managed to bring in Costel Pantilimon, Adlene Guedioura, Joe Lolley, Lee Tomlin, former Fulham man Ashkan Dejagah and Jack Colback on a busy day in the East Midlands.

While Fulham will be familiar with Dejagah after the Iranian spent two years at the club back in 2012, it was Colback who really caught Davis' eye as the former player previews the Cottagers' upcoming opponents.

"They've [Forest] proved recently that on their day they can beat the likes of Arsenal and Wolves, but on the whole they've not had a great season," Davis told Fulhamfc.com.

"Forest signed a lot of players on deadline day, including Jack Colback who I really like, but they won't have had a lot of time to gel. It will be nice to see Ashkan Dejagah back at the Cottage, but hopefully he doesn't score one of his trademark screamers!"

Colback joined Forest on loan from Premier League side Newcastle United for the remainder of the campaign, having failed to make a single appearance for the Magpies this season.

The former Sunderland man has plenty of experience, making over 100 appearances for Newcastle following his controversial switch from North East rivals Sunderland back in 2014.

Fulham have been on an excellent run of form lately pushing themselves in the top six, but Forest have the ability to cause them problems as they showed recently with victory at league leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/01/tt-fulham-favourite-sean-davis-believes-forest-have-made-a-good/

Jims Dentist

Quote from: WhiteJC on February 02, 2018, 08:03:35 AM

Jokanovic to make 1 change – Strongest 4-2-3-1 Fulham lineup to face Nottingham Forest

Predicted Fulham Lineup To Face Nottingham Forest In EFL Championship

Fulham have been on a good run of form and go into the match against Nottingham Forest full of confidence. Their moves in the transfer market have been modest but it has been important for them to hold on to players like Ryan Sessegnon.

This is a Fulham side overloaded with talent that occasionally doesn't perform as well as the players that are in the side suggest they should. They will be hoping to overcome an equally inconsistent Nottingham Forest this weekend.
Probable Fulham XI
Formation: 4-2-3-1
GK – Marcus Bettinelli

The upturn in Fulham's form has coincided with Bettinelli replacing David Button between the sticks at Craven Cottage. He will be hoping to keep his good form going again this weekend.
RB – Ryan Fredericks

Ryan Fredericks has begun to come of age in a Fulham shirt. The speedy right-back will provide width and cover for the attacking players.
CB – Tim Ream

The USA international is a calm presence at the heart of the Fulham defence, and having played so many games for them this year, he cannot be overlooked.
CB – Tomas Kalas

Tomas Kalas had an excellent game against Barnsley last time out and will be looking to continue his good form this weekend.
LB – Matt Targett

Matt Targett came on at halftime against Barnsley and had a real positive impact on Fulham. Will surely start this game.
DM – Kevin McDonald

McDonald was at the heart of everything that was good about Fulham last time out, provides vital defensive cover, while also being able to break forward and help attacks – an all-round player.
DM – Oliver Norwood

The Northern Irish international is a tireless worker and a creative presence in the middle of the park for Fulham.
RW – Lucas Piazon

Having recovered from injury, Piazon can only go back to doing what he does best, scoring goals. He has a point to prove to a management team that has shown a lot of faith in him.
AM – Stefan Johansen

Being at home, Jokanovic may be tempted to start the more attack-minded Aboubakar Kamara but Johansen will provide solidity as well as creativity.
LW – Ryan Sessegnon

The young attacker managed two second-half goals last time out and will be hoping to add to his goal tally now that he is playing further forward.
ST – Rui Fonte

The big man up front knows his role, which is to let the talented and smaller attacking players around him shine.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/02/02/jokanovic-to-make-1-change-strongest-4-2-3-1-fulham-lineup-to-face-nottingham-forest/
Big man up front?
He's one of the smallest in the squad, in both height and weight.

mrmicawbers

Wear them out.Then bring the big guns on?