watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Man Management?

Started by love4ffc, February 07, 2018, 04:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

I've listened to a few podcasts this week and it seems to be that time of season where games come fast and furious.  People seem to be talking about Sess being maybe tired in the last match.  I can't say it was he's best game against Forest but I'm not sure that he was tired.  With that said....we have brought in some good signings for the January window and look to have a strong bench.   So, is it time for Joka too do a little bit of man management and start resting a few players?  Especially if it looks like we are going to be in the playoffs  :023:

Sess is 17 and has played in almost every game by my account.  Ream seems to be in a similar situation as is McDonald and other players.  Could and should some of these players be rested a bit for the long push through the rest of the season? 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

RaySmith

These days the players are scientifically monitored and assessed all the time - so   a player would be rested if he  was seen as having a problem.

Sometimes intensity drops during a season -it can be hard to maintain the same level for many reasons. I'm sure one reason  is that opposition teams now target Sess.

There's also the fact that fans study every player all the time,  looking for any mistake and signs of weakness - but in reality no- one can be  perfect all the time.

love4ffc

What you say makes sense Ray.  However for me it just seems wise to rest a player here and there so as to prevent any unneeded down time for a player.  I know that there are all kinds of science put into man management along with rigorous physo body work/rest but it still just seems smart to rest players here and there.  Especially when it looks like we have such a strong bench.  Obviously, we should field the best team for each game but surely we can rest a few players here and there for the push to promotion. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

RaySmith

Carborundum

I agree with the points about squad rotation.  Two games a week is going to be hard going.  But I'd do it based on knocks and twinges rather than mental freshness.  The lads keep winning and that's invigorating.

Sess on Saturday found it difficult in the first half through a combination of the wrong studs, receiving a whack (he's a target these days) and being marked by the very capable Eric Lichaj.  But the way he ghosted to get his header in showed his class as did the way he worked with Targett such that it seemed they had played together for years. 

If and when he does get rotated, then selfishly I'd like it to be in the away games.  I'd like to keep watching him at the Cottage.

toshes mate

I thought the conditions for the Forest match were not ideal and it isn't the first time Mr Sessegnon has had problems keeping upright this season.  I would suggest that tiredness shows up more in attitude 'at work' overall than it does on specific occasions and those will be things that coaches are readily able to spot and treat.  However the three window signings do, IMO, make competition for selection much more likely across a wider range of positions than before and I am sure that once the players have settled in and reached high levels of fitness we will start to see more variations in tactics and selection.  February is mid-winter and so it is the month that does see the more difficult playing conditions more often than not.   I am not a fan of rotating players for its own sake but I am excited by the prospect of seeing the options made possible because of the three signings. 

VicHalomsLovechild

You can also rest a player so he can get his focus back. Doesn't necessarily have to be a physical thing.

Marcel_Gecov

There was some thoughts that Sess' poor game was due to wearing wrong boots...

filham

Johnny Haynes played almost every game , league, cup and English internationals season after season and he must have had the most touches of the ball of any player on the heavy pitch.

Never heard even a whisper to the effect that he should be rested.

davew

Quote from: filham on February 07, 2018, 06:57:34 PM
Johnny Haynes played almost every game , league, cup and English internationals season after season and he must have had the most touches of the ball of any player on the heavy pitch.

You had to work hard in those days to get your £100 a week.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

gang

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on February 07, 2018, 03:27:38 PM

Certainly had stud problems.

SG

If they are in need of a rest Jok can always give them a few days off during the week. Man City given 3 days off this week

davew

Quote from: gang on February 08, 2018, 09:39:30 PM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on February 07, 2018, 03:27:38 PM

Certainly had stud problems.
I never had them when I was younger (so the wife tells me)!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

YoungsBitter

Football and footballers are confidence driven and so good results lead to good form and then good results. So its a brave manager who rotates and then breaks the virtuous cycle. Bolton is going to be tough, they are a team fighting to get up the table away from relegation and having just turned over Bristle City will fancy their chances against us.
I hope we see Joka rotate well using the subs but do not expect any change to starting line up. He is more likely to rotate the front three to keep competition for places but would be amazed if he did something like switch to 5-3-2 with Christie in the middle 3 of the 5 on the right and Odoi on the left while resting Sess and Ream.
I think we have the depth in the squad now to deal with tiredness as it occurs rather than try and mess things up through trying to pre-empt it. Our fitness looks higher than other teams but it helps that with us keeping the ball for 70% of the time the opposition gets knackered trying to catch us.
Quark, strangeness and charm

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on February 07, 2018, 07:21:29 PM
Quote from: filham on February 07, 2018, 06:57:34 PM

You had to work hard in those days to get your £100 a week.

I have to work hard chasing the wife round the bedroom.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.