https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

N really FR: Ancient TV for ancient viewers

Started by cmg, February 12, 2018, 04:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

Couple of bits of dialogue from afternoon cop shows

Minder (I think).
Waterman to bloke claiming to have an interest in 'exotic ballerinas': "Give over Sunshine, the nearest you've come to exotic ballerinas is watching Chelsea on the tv."

Sweeney.
Regan: "Fancy going to QPR tonight?"
Carter: "Do you like QPR?"
Regan: "No. Do you?"
Carter: "No."

This series, now over a thousand years old, still has some of the crispest dialogue ever written for television (Ian Kennedy-Martin).

mrmicawbers

I know Dennis Waterman character on minder was a Fulham fan.Seem to recall on The Sweeny talk of Reagan and Carter going down to watch Fulham play.Both great programme's and we'll written as you said.We used to get lots of mentions around that era. Citizen Smith and Budgie.Maybe the writers were Fulham fans or the Characters were likeable Losers a bit like our Club at the time.

Steven Ageroad

When Dennis Waterman appeared with "Arthur Daley" the used car site they used was situated just South of Hammersmith but just North of Shepherds Bush, probably why FFC was mentioned often.

Woolly Mammoth

You mean south of Shepherds Bush and North of Hammersmith don't you.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fulham Tup North

I used to like Big Deal, with Robbie Box(?). Don't remember them ever mentioning Fulham, but I know he and Sharon Duce were both Fulham fans. Used to see Sharon at a few away games in the early 90's. 😁
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Ged

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on February 12, 2018, 07:45:27 PM
I used to like Big Deal, with Robbie Box(?). Don't remember them ever mentioning Fulham, but I know he and Sharon Duce were both Fulham fans. Used to see Sharon at a few away games in the early 90's. 😁
He still goes sits in the riverside

Ged

Budgie had a greyhound called the glory of Fulham

mrmicawbers

Remember an episode of Please Sir.when talking about their names.One was called Craven and someone chipped in with çraven çottage and all the class banged their desks and shouted Fulham.

cmg

I was rather impressed by scriptwriter Ian Prager, three of whose main 'Silent Witness' characters are called Hodgson, Mullery and Chamberlain, who, in an episode of 'Inspector George Gently', managed to have Scott Parker murdered by a bloke called Magath with the forces of law and order being aided by Chief Inspector Lewington and PCs Baird, Stockdale and Sidwell.

BedsFFC

I played "Young Thug"in Minder. Was winding Aurthur up and shaking a car he was in. Along came Terry who chased me off down the road. I was about twice the size of Terry and even though I was about 17, I would have blown him over. Ladbroke Grove.

Good times

Logicalman

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 12, 2018, 07:27:42 PM

His map was printed in Aussie!!!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 12, 2018, 07:27:42 PM
He knows what he means ,he is just being Fulhamish with his geography.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: BedsFFC on February 13, 2018, 09:40:44 AM
I played "Young Thug"in Minder. Was winding Aurthur up and shaking a car he was in. Along came Terry who chased me off down the road. I was about twice the size of Terry and even though I was about 17, I would have blown him over. Ladbroke Grove.

Good times

Terry was very short for his height.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

mrmicawbers

During the Mickey Adams Promotion season got chatting to a lad from the Midlands who started supporting Fulham after watching Budgie.I wonder how many more out there are like that.We were once a lot of people's second team not so sure now.

daveyork

I believe that in Big Deal every episode contained something 'Fulham', ie tie, badge or pennant on wall.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: mrmicawbers on February 14, 2018, 09:28:51 AM
During the Mickey Adams Promotion season got chatting to a lad from the Midlands who started supporting Fulham after watching Budgie.I wonder how many more out there are like that.We were once a lot of people's second team not so sure now.

I'm from Birmingham and support fulham

cmg

Quote from: BedsFFC on February 13, 2018, 09:40:44 AM

Good times

Ah. You might have been able to take out Dennis Waterman (Terry), although I believe he was a useful amateur boxer. But you might have had a little more trouble with his brother, Pete (no, not the musical one - although as  an ex-railway fireman he was probably quite tough, too), who was European Welterweight Champion in the late 50s. A really nice bloke, he ran a hot-dog stall from a car park on the edge of Mitcham Common. Unfortunately boxing had damaged his faculties and he died at quite a young age.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on February 14, 2018, 09:49:53 AM
Quote from: mrmicawbers on February 14, 2018, 09:28:51 AM

I'm from Birmingham and support fulham
Great but was it Budgie that did it for you?

filham

Those little Fulham connections on TV were always encouraging and made us feel as if we mattered as a club. It does not seem to happen nowadays and in fact rarely do we see any mention of Fulham in the media.

Has the club just given up on PR.