watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Commonwealth Games

Started by CorkedHat, September 23, 2010, 07:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

This will be of no interest whatsoever to our American friends but what is the consensus of opinion over in the UK about the Commonwealth Games? We have athletes in Australia who are pulling out and as I understand it countries like Canada, N Ireland and even Jersey are thinking of boycotting the event completely.
Should we just abandon it altogether? In Australia people tend to laud it up because it is an opportunity to do battle with the old foe, the Poms, but do people really care?
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Fletchino

It's one of the few times we compete as England so I love it but I think a new venue is needed for this event to go ahead 

FatFreddysCat

I haven't been interested in Athletics since the days of Coe, Ovett and Cram. But i dont think teams should bottle out, just as embarrasing as them brave Chelsea hero's that backed out of going to Israel a few years back, if a Fulham player had done that i'd have booed them every time they touched the ball. How did that song go about the bottle jobs? I've forgotten who the players were now as well.

TonyGilroy

I can't say I'm interested.

If there are genuine security issues they shouldn't go but if it's just that the accommodation lacks a few stars then f**k 'em. Put up with it.

Vinnieffc

The stadia haven't been built, the transport infrastructure ain't there and accommodation substandard. But you can call to complain as there are 4 call centres in the area  :005:

FC Silver Fox

It would be a shame if it didn't go ahead. This is the only athletics meeting where England gets to feel like Americans for a week.  We're the big, rich brother here. We're competing against atheletes from a couple of islands in the Pacific or the Caribbean who turn up to run in just their vest and pants.  Ok, I exaggerate just a tad.
   This said, I think the event will be cancelled though.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

CorkedHat

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on September 23, 2010, 09:21:54 AM
I haven't been interested in Athletics since the days of Coe, Ovett and Cram. But i dont think teams should bottle out, just as embarrasing as them brave the dark side hero's that backed out of going to Israel a few years back, if a Fulham player had done that i'd have booed them every time they touched the ball. How did that song go about the bottle jobs? I've forgotten who the players were now as well.

It isn't just an athletics meet, Fred. These are the sports being competed in Delhi. I must say that I enjoy the athletics, swimming, diving and cycling but I can take or leave the rest.
•   Archery
•   Athletics
•   Badminton
•   Boxing
•   Cycling
•   Diving
•   Gymnastics
•   Hockey
•   Lawn Bowls
•   Netball
•   Rugby Sevens
•   Shooting
•   Squash
•   Swimming
•   Table Tennis
•   Tennis
•   Weightlifting
•   Wrestling
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Lighthouse

Run over the falling bridge
Hunt the Bed and the Toilet
Search for the stadium.

I am rather looking forward to it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FatFreddysCat

Cant say i'm really fussed about any of them sports  Corky. Do the wrestlers wear silly masks etc?  :doh:

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

not my thing as I'm not into Athletics only team sports
but the thing is,is as long as it's safe I've no problem with it,roofs falling,bridges collapsing,real risk of flooding,not my idea of fun!

finnster01

As there is no biathlon myself and Salcido will not be watching... :red:

Why isn't real English empire sports in there such as darts and snooker? I mean they have lawn bowling?

They should also add real men's sports such as a 4x5km Pub Crawl, the Yard, fastest pint, the Boat Race, hottest ruby etc. Now that I would watch.  :045:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: finnster01 on September 23, 2010, 12:31:00 PM
As there is no biathlon myself and Salcido will not be watching... :red:

Why isn't real English empire sports in there such as darts and snooker? I mean they have lawn bowling?

They should also add real men's sports such as a 4x5km Pub Crawl, the Yard, fastest pint, the Boat Race, hottest ruby etc. Now that I would watch.  :045:

I'd watch that to Finny, infact i'd like to think i'd have a chance of getting in a few of the teams  :beer: