more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (23/02/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 23, 2018, 07:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Marcus Bettinelli making up for lost time at Fulham

After the last three seasons Marcus Bettinelli has endured, you could forgive him for being bitter.

Thrust into first team action by Felix Magath in the summer of 2014, the Fulham goalkeeper had the world at his feet after emerging as one of the shining lights in a torrid first season outside of the Premier League for the Whites.

But a week prior to the first anniversary of his debut, just as he was establishing himself once more, all the early promise was shattered.

An inadvertent clash with former team-mate Matt Smith away at Hull left the pair nursing knee ligament injuries and while the frontman has since moved on, Bettinelli remained at Craven Cottage and is now revelling in regaining the No 1 shirt, having jostled with team-mate David Button over the past few seasons.

Speak to the 25-year-old himself, however, and you'll discover he is anything but bitter about the predicament he found himself in.

Fulham lost to Reading in the playoff semi-final last season

"It's been weird," he tells Sky Sports.

"In the second season under Kit [Symons] I had an absolute freak injury that came completely out of the blue. Thankfully I managed to come back and play 10 games or so and the season after that, I wasn't really expecting to be Fulham's No 1 and at the end of that season they brought David in.

"It was one of those things that I had to reassess and I had to come down to earth and face the reality that I might have to fight for my place here and it's going to be a struggle because David is a very good goalkeeper. I sat on the bench for pretty much the whole season and it was really frustrating.

"Obviously I wanted to be playing, but because of the year I had before that, I wanted to be playing even more because I missed out on such a big chunk of games, so it was a case of really trying not to get too frustrated with myself and out in training."

Bettinelli re-established himself as Slavisa Jokanovic's man between the sticks last April as the Whites suffered a 2-1 aggregate defeat to Reading in the Championship play-offs and looked to have cemented a return to the lineup on a permanent basis as the current campaign dawned.

Fulham's next five Championship fixtures
Wolves (H)    24 February
Derby (A)    3 March
Sheffield United (A)    6 March
Preston (A)    10 March
QPR (A)    17 March

The footballing gods failed to receive the memo, however, and half an hour into the final pre-season friendly against Bundesliga outfit Wolfsburg, he was forced off through injury.

"I was back to square one," he continues. "David got his chance - and fair play to him, he did really well - and the gaffer's stuck with him for 20-odd games. I can't complain - as a goalkeeper when you lose your place because someone is playing really well, you have got to sit there and take it and that's part and parcel of being a goalkeeper.

"Thankfully, since I've been given a chance to get back in, I think I've done really well. The last two-and-a-half years have been frustrating but I think there is going to be times in my career when I'm even more frustrated. It's never been easy, but the most important thing was I stayed focused and waited for my chance and when it came last year I was ready, and the same this year as well."

The club rewarded his patience with a contract extension last summer, keeping him on the banks of the Thames until 2020 with a club option of a further year's extension, though after his first league start of the season - a 1-0 win over struggling Birmingham on December 9 - the stopper made it clear he had reached a point where he needed to be playing week-in, week-out. Sitting on the bench was simply no longer an option.

Bettinelli spent time on loan at Dartford and Accrington Stanley before making his Whites debut in 2014

South-west London neighbours Chelsea are long-term admirers of their Championship counterparts' goalkeeping talent and have expressed interest in a move for Bettinelli on several occasions since 2015. It was an attractive prospect, but not the solution he craved.

"They needed a goalkeeper as a No 2 and in that sense, I didn't really want to go because I'd missed such a big part of games and I love playing. I knew I wasn't going to play games in front of Thibaut Courtois of course and I didn't even know if I was going to be No 2, so it didn't really jump out at me as one where I thought, 'I've got to go, I've got to move'.

"The season before, after coming off the back of having a good season, it was a case of 'will this boat ever come again?' Jose Mourinho was the manager at the time and to sit there and say I don't want to play under him would be a complete lie because he's one of the best managers to ever manage in the Premier League.

Slavisa Jokanovic is looking to guide his side to a second successive playoff campaign - at the least

"At the same time games were the most important thing to me and in my head I was telling myself to get another season under your belt and play another 40-odd games. It didn't work out like that and I got injured but at the same time, I don't ever regret not going."

While drawing the interest of the Blues during that 2014/15 campaign, it was also one where Bettinelli was given the chance to display his ability on the international stage. Initially called up by then England U21 boss Gareth Southgate in November, he made his U21 national team bow against the Czech Republic the following March.

The untimely pause in his progress prevented any further caps, but as he makes up for lost time, does he harbour hopes of a return to the international fold?

"Of course, I can't ever say never now because when I look back to being at Accrington I would never have said I'd have played for the 21s and now that I'm at Fulham I can't ever say I won't play for England.

"That moment was incredible for me, by far the best moment of my career, really. I know it sounds so silly because all it was was a friendly against the Czech Republic and the game meant nothing, but to me it was something that I had only dreamed about as a kid.

To do that again there's obviously a lot of good young goalkeepers that I need to get past: Joe [Hart] is obviously still involved with the squad, but I'm sure Jack [Butland] will take over that rein soon I'm pretty sure and obviously Jordan [Pickford] is playing really well.

"It's one of those things I'd love to happen; I'm not going to sit and home and cry that it's not happened, but at the same time it is one of those ones where you've just got to keep working and keep progressing and hopefully one day soon."

For now, however, his focus remains on his club side. The Cottagers are fifth in the Championship standings after 33 games and have lost just once since his introduction to the team at the tail end of 2017 - a run of 13 games where Bettinelli has kept five clean sheets.

Saturday evening's encounter with champions-elect Wolves marks the beginning of a challenging two weeks for Jokanovic's men in which they face Derby, Sheffield United and Preston, though. And despite his optimism, Bettinelli knows the run-in will be anything but plain-sailing.

Bettinelli says Fulham are focused on finishing second

"I think if you were to say would we have a chance a month ago, I would've said no, " he admits.

"But we've given ourselves an incredible starting block and a chance to get promoted this season. Obviously Wolves are a great side and I can't see anyone catching them, but Derby and Villa are well within our sights and everyone in that dressing room is fully prepared and fully ready to push on now and get that second spot.

"Since December we've worked together as a team and I think we've become more streetwise, a little more nasty and to get promoted from this league I think you have to have that side of you where there is the never-say-die attitude.

"Our aim two months ago was playoffs and just to get into those playoffs we would've been buzzing with. But now we are here, we know we are just kicking on at the right time, invested in January and brought in two or three really good players.

"We have to be aiming for second place and that has to be our main focus, but if we fall short of that and get playoffs then we'll deal with that but at the same time, we want second place and we are going to keep fighting for it. It is going to be tough, it's never going to be easy but we'll give it our best shot."

Don't miss the Sky Bet Championship clash between Fulham and Wolves on Saturday, live on Sky Sports Football and Main Event from 5.15pm.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11247959/marcus-bettinelli-making-up-for-lost-time-at-fulham

WhiteJC

EFL and Mind join forces in mental health mission

(From left to right) EFL Chairman Ian Lenagan, Mind Chief Executive Paul Farmer, Mind Ambassador Alastair Campbell and EFL Chief Executive Shaun Harvey

The EFL and mental health charity Mind are joining forces to promote the benefits of healthy bodies and healthy minds.

From the start of the 2018/19 season, Mind will become the EFL's new Official Charity Partner with a goal to enhance and improve the way that football, sport and society approach mental health.

With one in four individuals affected by mental health problems, the EFL will work with its network of 72 clubs and community trusts to promote Mind's message and services to millions nationwide with four ambitions to promote better mental health.

The EFL's objectives include:

a) Supporting EFL players, managers and staff

b) Raising awareness about mental health with fans, clubs and staff

c) Raising funds to deliver life-changing support

d) Improving the approach to mental health in the EFL, in football and in wider society

EFL Chief Executive, Shaun Harvey, said: "The partnership between the EFL and Mind offers us a unique opportunity to foster positive health and wellbeing of millions of individuals who have a connection with football, whether they are players, supporters or work within the game.

"We know that improving mental health is a huge challenge in society, especially for men, but through this partnership, we will be proud to help raise awareness about mental health, reduce stigma and hopefully have a positive impact on the lives of millions of individuals who currently suffer in silence."

In addition, the EFL has confirmed that a legacy relationship will remain in place with Prostate Cancer UK beyond the end of the current season.

Over the last six years, the EFL has forged a highly successful charity partnership with Prostate Cancer UK that has raised over £3m oflife-changingg funds for the cause, reached millions of football supporters and raised awareness of the disease which now kills one man every 45 minutes in the UK.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11261957/efl-and-mind-join-forces-in-mental-health-mission

WhiteJC

Wolves dealt disappointing blow ahead of key clash with Fulham

Wolverhampton Wanderers are set to head to Fulham without Ruben Neves on Saturday, with the midfielder beginning a two-match suspension in the Sky Bet Championship. 

Tim Spiers from the Express and Star confirmed during last night's clash with Norwich City that Neves had picked up a caution, meaning he will now be suspended for Wolves' clash with Fulham and the fixture with Reading.

Wolverhampton Wanderers are set to head to Fulham without Ruben Neves on Saturday, with the midfielder beginning a two-match suspension in the Sky Bet Championship. 

Tim Spiers from the Express and Star confirmed during last night's clash with Norwich City that Neves had picked up a caution, meaning he will now be suspended for Wolves' clash with Fulham and the fixture with Reading.

Nuno Espirito Santo's side will head to Craven Cottage on Saturday without Neves, who has been key this season in helping Wolves into such a commanding position in the race for the title.

The 20-year-old midfielder has featured in 32 Championship fixtures this season, scoring four goals.

The Verdict

Neves' absence on Saturday will be a huge blow for Wolves, who are facing one of their most difficult fixtures this weekend.

Fulham are on a good run of form, with Jokanovic's side particularly impressive in midfield.

Neves' absence in that central area will hurt Wolves, but Nuno will be confident that he has the depth to deal with the midfielder's absence in the coming weeks.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/wolves-dealt-disappointing-blow-ahead-of-key-clash-with-fulham/

WhiteJC

Bettinelli buzzing after putting injury hell behind him
by Dan on February 22, 2018

Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli is delighted to have been able to put two seasons worth of injury hell behind him – and is determined to repay the faith of the Whites' management team and fans by pushing for promotion to the Premier League this season.

The 25 year-old graduate from Fulham's much vaunted academy has suffered with serious injuries that have interrupted his progression into Slavisa Jokanovic's first team after a bright start when he was promoted from the club's under 23s by former manager Kit Symons. Bettinelli told Sky Sports that his injury woe and the experience of a tough battle with David Button for the Craven Cottage goalkeeping jersey has made him relish regular football once again:

It's been weird. In the second season under Kit [Symons] I had an absolute freak injury that came completely out of the blue. Thankfully I managed to come back and play 10 games or so and the season after that, I wasn't really expecting to be Fulham's No 1 and at the end of that season they brought David in.

It was one of those things that I had to reassess and I had to come down to earth and face the reality that I might have to fight for my place here and it's going to be a struggle because David is a very good goalkeeper. I sat on the bench for pretty much the whole season and it was really frustrating. Obviously I wanted to be playing, but because of the year I had before that, I wanted to be playing even more because I missed out on such a big chunk of games, so it was a case of really trying not to get too frustrated with myself and out in training.

Having worked hard to get back into the team and help Fulham reach the Championship play-off semi-finals last season, Bettinelli's bad luck struck again this summer when he injured a hamstring in August's final pre-season friendly against Hamburg.

I was back to square one. David got his chance – and fair play to him, he did really well – and the gaffer's stuck with him for 20-odd games. I can't complain – as a goalkeeper when you lose your place because someone is playing really well, you have got to sit there and take it and that's part and parcel of being a goalkeeper.

Thankfully, since I've been given a chance to get back in, I think I've done really well. The last two-and-a-half years have been frustrating but I think there is going to be times in my career when I'm even more frustrated. It's never been easy, but the most important thing was I stayed focused and waited for my chance and when it came last year I was ready, and the same this year as well.

Bettinelli, who has now made 82 senior appearances for Fulham having joined the club in 2006, turned down the chance of joining Chelsea on two occasions over the past three seasons – and insists he doesn't regret committing his future to the Whites having signed a contract extension earlier this year.

They needed a goalkeeper as a No 2 and in that sense, I didn't really want to go because I'd missed such a big part of games and I love playing. I knew I wasn't going to play games in front of Thibaut Courtois of course and I didn't even know if I was going to be No 2, so it didn't really jump out at me as one where I thought, 'I've got to go, I've got to move'. The season before, after coming off the back of having a good season, it was a case of 'will this boat ever come again?' Jose Mourinho was the manager at the time and to sit there and say I don't want to play under him would be a complete lie because he's one of the best managers to ever manage in the Premier League.

At the same time games were the most important thing to me and in my head I was telling myself to get another season under your belt and play another 40-odd games. It didn't work out like that and I got injured but at the same time, I don't ever regret not going.

The popular goalkeeper freely admits that his belief that Fulham can win promotion from the Championship has grown since the winter as Slavisa Jokanovic's side have strung together an eleven-match unbeaten run, which will be severely tested when league leaders Wolves come to the Cottage on Saturday night.

I think if you were to say would we have a chance a month ago, I would've said no. But we've given ourselves an incredible starting block and a chance to get promoted this season. Obviously Wolves are a great side and I can't see anyone catching them, but Derby and Villa are well within our sights and everyone in that dressing room is fully prepared and fully ready to push on now and get that second spot.

Since December we've worked together as a team and I think we've become more streetwise, a little more nasty and to get promoted from this league I think you have to have that side of you where there is the never-say-die attitude. Our aim two months ago was playoffs and just to get into those playoffs we would've been buzzing with. But now we are here, we know we are just kicking on at the right time, invested in January and brought in two or three really good players.

We have to be aiming for second place and that has to be our main focus, but if we fall short of that and get playoffs then we'll deal with that but at the same time, we want second place and we are going to keep fighting for it. It is going to be tough, it's never going to be easy but we'll give it our best shot.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/02/bettinelli-buzzing-after-putting-injury-hell-behind-him/

WhiteJC

EFL clubs agree to early closure of summer transfer window after officials from QPR, Fulham and Brentford vote at Villa Park

The vote, which took place today, was to decide whether the summer transfer window should be closed earlier in the month of August, as opposed to at the end of the month.

Clubs in the EFL have voted in favour of an early closure of the summer transfer window.

The vote, which took place today, was to decide whether the summer transfer window should be closed earlier in the month of August, as opposed to at the end of the month.

The proposal will see the window close at 5pm on August 9, while the loan window will stay open unti August 31.

Of the 72 teams from the Sky Bet Championship, League One and League Two, 40 voted in favour of the change while 29 went against.There were no abstentions and the remaining three clubs instead sent their apologies.

EFL Chief Executive Shaun Harvey said: "After discussing the options throughout the course of the last few months, I'm pleased that the matter has been determined by Clubs ahead of the start of next season.

"This new approach will give Clubs and managers the stability they crave earlier in the season whilst also providing the flexibility to add to their squads after the traditional deadline until the end of month if required."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/efl-clubs-including-qpr-fulham-14325483

WhiteJC

Kavanagh Departs

The Club can confirm, following completion of the necessary paperwork earlier today, that Sean Kavanagh has joined Shamrock Rovers for an undisclosed fee.

The left-sided player joined Fulham for the 2011/12 season, and progressed through the ranks before making his First Team debut at Craven Cottage against Wolverhampton Wanderers in August 2014.

Kavanagh made 23 appearances for the Whites that term, with his finest moment coming in a 1-0 victory over Norwich City when he hit the winner at the Putney End.

A handful of subsequent appearances followed, as well as loan spells at Hartlepool United and Mansfield Town, but the 24-year-old Dubliner will now continue his career back in his home city with the League of Ireland Premier Division outfit, who have former Fulham hero Damien Duff among their staff.

Everyone at the Club would like to thank Sean for all his efforts during his time with us, and wish him every success in his future career.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/february/22/sean-kavanagh-departs

WhiteJC

Fulham man issues Wolves warning ahead of weekend clash

Fulham extended their unbeaten run of form to eleven games in the Championship as they took on Bristol City last night.

The men from Craven Cottage are one of the sides to beat at the moment in the second tier and their run of form has made them once again serious promotion contenders.

For sure, then, they'll be confident of giving league leaders Wolves something to think about when they meet on Saturday night and it looks as though Slavisa Jokanovic is willing to let his players of the reins a little.

Indeed, Fulham are one of the best attacking sides in the league and, as quoted by the Evening Standard, the Lilywhites boss has warned Wolves that his men are going to go for it from the off.

He said:

"We have good momentum. Our unbeaten run is 11 games and we need to be confident and we need to trust in ourselves and try and play our style."

The clash has all the makings of a great game between two strong sides and it'll certainly be entertaining if Fulham look to open things up.

The Verdict

Fulham are looking good right now and will be eager for Saturday to come around.

They will feel as though they can take on anyone at the moment and if they can get on the front foot early on you could see them beating the league leaders.

This could be one of the games of the year.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-man-issues-wolves-warning-ahead-of-weekend-clash/

WhiteJC

8 clearances, 53 passes: The Fulham star helping to preserve club's unbeaten run

Fulham are looking good at the moment and it's hard to see how they won't finish in the top six at least this year.

The men from Craven Cottage have got a handy knack of timing their play-off surges well and it looks as though they've done so once again.

Indeed, they remained unbeaten last night against Bristol City and whilst the likes of Ryan Sessegnon has got the plaudits in recent weeks, it was our latest FLW Spotlight subject that perhaps helped preserve things most last night: Tim Ream.

Fulham's attacking talents are rightly marvelled at and it certainly looks as though they're going to be even stronger now with Aleksandar Mitrovic off of the mark.

However, they needed to be resolute against a strong Robins attack last night and defender Ream certainly led by example.

His eight clearances and two interceptions helped snuff out much of what the home side looked to do at Ashton Gate as they looked to get back to winning ways after a number of frustrating results.

Fulham, though, were not to be beaten in a game that underlined that this is a side that is really starting to come of age.

Momentum is one thing in the Championship, balance is another and with Ream and co. at the back the Cottagers have got both in abundance at the perfect time.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/8-clearances-53-passes-the-fulham-star-helping-to-preserve-clubs-unbeaten-run/

WhiteJC

QPR, Fulham and Brentford among clubs restricted from fielding weakened teams after EFL introduce new rule

As part of the new rules which come into force this season, the EFL state that at least 10 outfield players from the previous fixture must continue in the side

The EFL have introduced new measures to ensure clubs are fielding full-strength teams.

As part of the new rules which come into force this season, the EFL state that at least 10 outfield players from the previous fixture must continue in the side.

The alterations come into force on March 4th.

Crossing paths again: Slavisa Jokanovic and Ian Holloway (Image: Lewis Darling)

The debate around full-strength teams was sparked after Birmingham City's 2-0 win against Huddersfield Town in April last year.

Terriers boss David Wagner made 10 changes to his side, who had already qualified for the play-offs.

Birmingham ran out comfortable winners to take a step closer to survival, which was secured the following week with a victory at Bristol City.

The EFL investigated Huddersfield's team selection but was unable to take any action because there are currently no guidelines on how to define what a full-strength team is.

However the issue was debated at the governing body's summer conference, with the EFL now set to introduce a new rule.

Following the confirmation of the new rule, a statement said: "Clubs supported the implementation of guidance on the following basis: 'for any league match played on or after the Thursday March 4 (including season 2017/18) any team sheet for a league game should include at least 10 outfield players who featured on the team sheet for the League match before."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qpr-fulham-brentford-among-clubs-14325705

WhiteJC

Has Christie's Fulham debut enhanced West Ham's Fredericks hopes?

West Ham United want to take Ryan Fredericks to the Premier League when his contract at Fulham expires.

Fulham fans will have to wait to see the best of Cyrus Christie, but they got a reassuring image of life without Ryan Fredericks in Wednesday night's 1-1 draw away to promotion rivals Bristol City.

The Republic of Ireland international moved to Craven Cottage from Middlesbrough on transfer deadline day and made his debut at Ashton Gate. And, while he looked a little suspect defensively at times, it was his outstanding assist that laid the opening goal on a plate for Newcastle United loanee Aleksandar Mitrovic.

This was a promising sign for Fulham. Try as they might to tie him down to a new deal, the rampaging right-back Fredericks looks set to leave in the summer when his contract expires.

Football London claim that West Ham manager David Moyes has made the one-time Tottenham Hotspur youngster one of his top transfer targets.

And the sight of Christie performing impressively in Fredericks' place against Lee Johnson's hosts should give West Ham hope that Fulham will perhaps be more willing to accept the 25-year-old's departure at the end of the season.

Like Fredericks, Christie is a powerful and pacey full-back who offers so much attacking intent and can be a real outlet on the wing when required.

He is, in many ways, a like-for-like replacement for Fredericks. And if Christie builds on this impressive start, it could make West Ham's hopes of bringing his potential predecessor to the London Stadium a little easier.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/22/do-has-cyrus-christies-fulham-debut-enhanced-west-hams-ryan-fred/

WhiteJC

Fulham Vs Wolves Preview

This is one of those fixtures you start fretting about weeks in advance.

Had we got the win over Norwich, I would have viewed it as a free hit with the two points per game average already in the bag for February.

But alas, the stoppage time heartbreaker leaves us with 8 points from 4 matches, so anything but a win in this one will see us fall short of that particular benchmark.

I still look at our remaining fixtures, those of the chasers and the head start and struggle to see us throwing it away.

I've been wrong before though.

Fulham

As they did last season, Fulham started slow and have gradually picked up the pace. The only difference being this time they could still gatecrash the automatic shake up.

They're not going to catch us, but the eight point deficit to Cardiff is more achievable if they sustain their current form.

Five wins and two draws from their last seven makes them the league's top dogs and they've scored some notable successes in that run.

Villa were brushed aside in their last game at Craven Cottage and they backed it up with a solid point at Ashton Gate in midweek.

Aleksandar Mitrovic was a notable deadline day addition and the big striker adds to a frontline already boasting the correctly hyped Ryan Sessegnon who is still, unbelievably, just 17 years old.

Wolves

I've been repressing the idea Neves would eventually get that tenth booking of the season, but it was always coming.

With the maestro out and Costa possibly injured, I would be sorely tempted to return to frontline that got us moving in the early parts of the campaign.

If Leo is fit and firing, I'd like to see him linking the play and bringing Jota and Cavaleiro into the game.

Saiss and N'Diaye must start in midfield. I like Gibbs-White but I just don't think he's ready to anchor the team in such a crucial part of the pitch.

John Ruddy came in for some deserved stick after letting that late goal slip through his grasp, but I think it's too late in the season to be making a change between the sticks. It could de-stabilise the whole defence and isn't worth the risk.

Predictions

Getting a result against the division's in form team after such a kick in the guts against Norwich would be another huge statement.

But being honest, I can see this one getting away from us.

Without Neves I'm concerned that we won't control the midfield and against such a good attacking side, that could be crucial.

I fear defeat but will back us to get what would be a very tidy point.

1-1.

Up The Wolves!

http://www.wolvesblog.com/11602/fulham-vs-wolves-preview-7

WhiteJC

Will Wolves Wander away from the Cottage?
by Lydia on February 23, 2018

I honestly didn't know what to think in the aftermath of Wednesday night's 1-1 draw at Ashton Gate. It is always a game that seems to favour the away side, but we know that fixtures against promotion rivals, with so much on the line often write their own history. My nerves were massively eased when Aleksandar Mitrovic stabbed home from a delightful Cyrus Christie cross after just 14 minutes, but I was put back on edge when Bobby Reid fired home a well worked effort later in the first half. Overall I guess a point was a fair result. Both teams had chances to win, and with the other teams around us dropping points as well, no ground has been lost in the play-off race, albeit the second automatic spot edged further away.

But as always with football, we don't have time to mull over the past as attentions must quickly be placed upon tomorrow evenings kick-off against Championship leaders Wolves. Just a week after dispatching Aston Villa at the Cottage, the home side should be reasonably confident going into this one, even with Wolves undoubtedly being one of the best sides that the Championship has seen in recent years. During one of our poorest stints of the season they quite easily brushed us aside 2-0 in the reverse fixture, but Fulham are thankfully much stronger than they were back then. To be honest, when I was looking ahead to the 'big-6' of our season, the games against the teams around us one after each other, I thought that if we were able to pick up points against the other teams, then this would be the one that we could afford to drop points in. However, I think that we need to keep the momentum going as much as possible, and what better way to do this that beating the top side in the division?

Despite drawing two out of our last three games, Fulham are still the form side in the division and we haven't lost at home in the league since Bristol City beat us on Halloween night. Wolves have drawn their last two games, including letting a 2-1 lead slip in injury time on Wednesday evening against Norwich. Results like that can knock the wind out of players and supporters alike so hopefully they will still be feeling the effects of that come Saturday. They will want to wrong the right, obviously, but they will now have to do it without key man Ruben Neves who got himself suspended for tomorrow's game after picking up his 10th yellow card of the season against Norwich.

But Wolves still have enough danger men to keep us occupied in the likes of Helder Costa, Ivan Cavaleiro, Diogo Jota and Leo Bonatini. And even if we do manage to keep the attacking threat at bay, we will have to find a way through Wily Boly, who is on loan from Porto and one of the top defenders in the league, Barry Douglas, who is a danger man at both ends of the pitch and then John Ruddy, who has managed a league high of 17 clean sheets this season. It certainly won't be easy.

However, I really do think that we can give anyone a game, and now that we have options at pretty much every part of the pitch, I think that we can play this in a number of different ways. I wouldn't be surprised if Mitrovic kept his position up front given his goal from the other night but it's the right wing spot that could go to any of Ayite, Piazon, Ojo or Kebano. I also think that Sessegnon could maybe do with a rest, given the fact that he is only 17 and has looked a tad out of the sorts in the past couple of games. Ream and Kalas should be back together, while time will tell whether Matt Target will get over his strain by 1730 tomorrow evening.

It will be a tough one, but I certainly wouldn't be backing against something special happening again at the Cottage.

#COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/02/will-wolves-wander-away-from-the-cottage/

WhiteJC

How to get to Craven Cottage and around other parts of west London as Tube and rail repairs take place this weekend

Parts of the Overground network and two London Underground lines in west London will close for repair and maintenance work on Saturday and Sunday

Commuters are being advised on how to get about in west London this weekend (February 24-25) as three major transport lines close for pre-planned repairs.

Transport for London (TfL) said there would be no service on the District line between South Kensington/Edgware Road, Ealing Broadway, Kensington Olympia, Ealing Broadway and Richmond due to track maintenance.

On the Overground line, trains will not call between Clapham Junction and Willesden Junction due to rail maintenance by Network Rail.

That means there will be no Overground trains stopping at Imperial Wharf, West Brompton, Kensington Olympia, Shepherd's Bush and Willesden Junction, while stations including Hammersmith, Ealing Broadway and High Street Kensington will be affected by the Underground closure.

Added to that, there will be no service between Aldgate and Edgware Road via Victoria on the Circle line, meaning Tube trains won't be stopping at stations including Notting Hill Gate, South Kensington, Victoria and Westminster.
How to get about

TfL said additional services on other Tube lines and extra buses would be running to assist passengers.

Piccadilly line trains on the Uxbridge branch will additionally call at Ravenscourt Park, Stamford Brook, Turnham Green and Chiswick Park to help mitigate the District line disruption. Bus replacements will also operate.

TfL hopes additional Piccadilly line trains stopping at some District line stations will help ease with the inconvenience.

It also said stations like Putney and Wimbledon will still be serviced by South Western Railway (SWR) trains.

Passengers disrupted by the Overground closures are advised to use local London Buses services.
Heading to Craven Cottage?

The works coincide with Fulham taking on Championship league leaders Wolves at Craven Cottage on Saturday (February 24).

Fans are being advised to take the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith and walk to the ground, or take an SWR train to nearby Putney station.
Heading to Kensington Olympia?

The closure also coincides with the Listed Property Show taking place at Olympia London exhibition centre, which is accessed from Kensington Olympia station.

TfL advises visitors to use the local bus service.
'Not given sufficient thought'

Lib Dem London Assembly member Caroline Pidgeon had called for the works to be staggered to ease inconvenience on passengers.

Speaking in January, she said: "Sadly it seems that on the weekend of February 24 and 25, TfL have not given sufficient thought to the combined impact of closing a large section of the District line in west London and at the same time closing the London Overground between Clapham to Willesden.

"With a month to go, I urge TfL to reconsider their plans and to look at separating out these closures."

A TfL spokesman said: "We apologise to customers whose journeys will be disrupted by this vital maintenance work.

"Other TfL services will be running to west London during the work, including the Piccadilly and Central lines, and rail replacement buses will be running between Olympia and Wimbledon."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/how-craven-cottage-parts-west-14320261

WhiteJC

Alfred N'Diaye: Wolves can cope without Ruben Neves

Alfred N'Diaye says Wolves can cope without Ruben Neves – and must show why they're the best team in the league at Fulham tomorrow.

Nuno Espirito Santo's side face a testing trip to Craven Cottage where they face a Fulham team that's won eight and drawn two of their past 10 matches.

Wolves have drawn their last two and seen their lead cut slightly, with second-placed Cardiff now nine points behind ahead of their home game against Bristol City on Sunday at midday.

N'Diaye scored in Wednesday's 2-2 draw against Norwich, his second goal in three games.

And he said Wolves must continue to play the same way tomorrow despite the loss of £15million man Neves, who is suspended.

"Ruben is a very good player and he's suspended for two games," N'Diaye said.

"We have other players who can play in his position. I'm not worried, we have good players. Even without Ruben we have to play in the same way, like we know how to."

Wolves, who will take more than 4,500 fans to Craven Cottage for the televised clash, have lost only once in their past 18 matches.

But after two successive draws and with games against Cardiff, Derby and Villa all to come, there's still plenty to do to get over the promotion line.

N'Diaye wants nothing less than three points tomorrow.

"We have to go to Fulham with big ambitions," he said. "We know where we want to go at the end of the season.

"Fulham are one of the best teams in the league so we know we have to win and play like our best.

"For me, I like this game. I play football to play in the big games, I like this pressure. In this kind of game we can show what we can do and I like this.

"We have to go to Craven Cottage with big ambition and not be afraid.

"We're at the top of the league and we have to show it."

Read more at https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2018/02/23/alfred-ndiaye-wolves-can-cope-without-ruben-neves/#hzP3DYEW7xEtx3QL.99

WhiteJC

Fulham v Wolves: Flying Cottagers pushing for promotion

Fulham v Wolves: Flying Cottagers pushing for promotion

They had won just four matches all season and were sat in 16th, six points behind sixth-placed Derby having played two games more.

Slavisa Jokanovic looked a broken man that night and spoke of Fulham 'being in trouble'. Indeed much more of that and his job would have been on the line.

Since then the transformation has been remarkable.

Fulham have lost only twice more and propelled themselves into the promotion picture, winning eight and drawing three of their past 11 matches to move to fifth place.

"We have good momentum," Jokanovic said after Wednesday's 1-1 draw at Bristol City.

"Our unbeaten run is 11 games and we need to be confident and we need to trust in ourselves and try and play our style.

"We tried (at Bristol), we weren't successful like we were in some games in the past, but we showed personality to try and follow our style, try and move the ball, but it wasn't easy for us."

On paper it's no surprise that Fulham are in the top six.

For a start they possess one of the best midfields in the Championship with Stefan Johansen, ex-Wolves schemer Kevin McDonald and the highly-rated Tom Cairney, who was the subject of a rejected £18million bid from West Ham in January.

January additions have strengthened Jokanovic's hand with Republic of Ireland right back Cyrus Christie joining from Middlesbrough, fellow defender Matt Targett moving on loan from Southampton and Serbian international striker Aleksandar Mitrovic joining on a temporary move from Newcastle.

Throw wonderkid Ryan Sessegnon (11 goals in 16 matches from the left wing) into the mix and it's clear why Fulham have

belatedly found some promotion-chasing form.

However, due to their slow start it's a big ask to expect them to reach the top two from here. Fulham are eight points behind second-placed Cardiff.

They are currently in a 'season-defining' run of fixtures, with matches against Derby, Sheffield United and Preston following tomorrow's game.

Cairney thinks Fulham will be there or thereabouts if they can keep their current form up.

"It's huge, I think it defines the season," Cairney said of the fixture list. "All those teams are above us or around us so it's massive. It's going to define what we're going to do this season.

"It's a special run and we've really climbed the table.

"We're in form at a great time, it's just about maintaining it to the end of the season and we shouldn't be far off."
Predicted line ups

Fulham (4-3-3): Bettinelli; Christie, Odoi, Ream, Targett; Johansen, McDonald, Cairney; Piazon, Mitrovic, Sessegnon.

Wolves (3-4-3): John Ruddy; Bennett, Coady, Boly; Doherty, N'Diaye, Saiss, Douglas; Costa, Jota, Cavaleiro. Subs: Norris, Batth, Miranda, Gibbs-White, Enobakhare, Afobe, Bonatini.

Read more at https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2018/02/23/fulham-v-wolves-flying-cottagers-pushing-for-promotion/#h75P9v7j9z1mALWs.99