watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Half & Half Scarfs?!

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, February 25, 2018, 09:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Noticed in the club shop FFC/Southampton half & half scarves at a bargain £3.  Wasn't tempted.

I do regret not buying one from the Europa final but I thought €20 was a bit excessive.

flyingfish

Quote from: Carborundum on February 26, 2018, 01:45:49 PM
Once upon a time my dad proposed going to a live football match, my first.  I was so happy and part of that happiness was that I'd be going to school on Monday and telling my mates.  Half and half scarves didn't exist then, but long queues to get into club shops did, so no scarf for me.  If my dad had bought me a half and half scarf from a dodgy bloke outside, I'd have been chuffed. If he'd bought another one for himself and we wore them together, I'd have snuggled up to him just a little more contentedly.  Then worn my scarf to school on the Monday

The picture painted in the opening post strikes me as rather a happy one.  Yes none of us would be seen dead in one in normal circumstances, but a dad trying his best to give his kid a memory that endures, well I'll cut him all possible slack.  He might just have been regretting the choice of clothing and doing his best to keep the chill out.

Yes I absolutely agree. Who cares what other people wear? Each to his own. And Christ, it was a dad with his kid. Maybe it was the first match and the dad was making it an occasion to remember, get a few souvenirs, and make him want to come back, with his dad. I didn't buy a half and half scarf the first time I brought my kid, but I certainly, paid a visit to the club shop

RaySmith

Yeah, take a chill pill.
Probably a dad and son celebrating the son's first game, and making it memorable.

But who cares anyway.

KJS

Quote from: WokinghamWhite on February 26, 2018, 10:35:53 AM
Biggest problems with going back to the Prem: touts and half-and-half scarves.

There were touts in the park on saturday

Steven Ageroad

I remember a seller trying to flog them at the Euro Final, he had a hard job because we were on one half of the scarf as Fulham United. He had plenty of stock as I remember. When I think about it, I should have bought one, a collectors item!!

Fulhamfan666

I bought one for my first EVER football match: Spurs - Borussia Dortmund at WHL. because you know, treat yo self. It was also bloody cold, so had to get one to keep me from freezing solid.

Riversider

Jeez, I bet 90% of the people on this thread think that using clappers at a game is acceptable though  :doh:

Ged

Quote from: Riversider on February 27, 2018, 05:14:32 PM
Jeez, I bet 90% of the people on this thread think that using clappers at a game is acceptable though  :doh:
If you can give me an intellectual reason for not using the clappers I will consider your point

Riversider

Quote from: Ged on February 27, 2018, 05:23:52 PM
If you can give me an intellectual reason for not using the clappers I will consider your point

If you need me to explain my point to you then I give up and feel sorry for you. 😞#Embarrassing

hovewhite

Should be banned from grounds full stop!!

Southcoastffc

Here's a radical idea: if you want one, buy one. If you don't want one, don't buy one.  Not difficult?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Chesh

Quote from: Riversider on February 28, 2018, 08:25:12 AM

If you need me to explain my point to you then I give up and feel sorry for you. 😞#Embarrassing
0001.jpeg

Can see why kids might see them as appealing - but the sight of adults rhythmically bashing them instead of getting behind the team properly (i.e. using their voices and hands) is just a sad indictment of how the Fulham marketing team see football.

It's  not the pantomime, and as Riversider says, if it needs further explanation then it shows how much football has changed over the years.

I'm all for bringing my sons to a safer environment than was the case in the 70s and 80s, and I'm grateful for that, but the clappers are a step too far for many.....I sit in the family stand of the Johhny Haynes, and would happily see them continue there, as why take the enjoyment away from the kids, but would love to see them banned from the rest of the ground.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Holders

I can see the point for really significant matches: vs. Atletico, for example, or maybe for when we played Santos - but not for a mere league game!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

copthornemike

Chill pill everyone - a dad bringing his kid to the Cottage is something to be celebrated full stop and whatever the scarf something to be treasured when the father leaves this mortal coil
As for the clappers I like them - and I shout at the same time (andmyvoice is not the quietest)
Anyway thanks to SJ and the team it is good to see the large home gates recently - touts and all. I suspect our good friends down at Loftus Road would love to have something similar to 'moan' about

Ged

So that's a no then.
Some people get anoyed at the smallest of things 😘# sado

Twig

Quote from: Ged on February 28, 2018, 04:31:23 PM

So that's a no then.
Some people get anoyed at the smallest of things 😘# sado

I have absolutely no problem with the clappers. It strikes me as a bit facist to want them banned.  As I have explained before, when we get older some of us no longer have strong enough vocal chords to shout encouragement all match. Yes, I can clap my ands but the clappers are louder and just occasionally I resort to them. Embarrassing? Not to me.