watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mitrovic -the balance he gives us.

Started by colinwhite, February 26, 2018, 08:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

I was lucky enough to go to all of our last three games and it was very interesting to watch Mitro at close quarters. He looks a fantastic signing and gives us ,along with the signing of Targett,qualites which complete  balance throughout the side. Mitrovic has already shown us what we have been missing for most of the season ,and made the distant memory of Chris Martin look even weaker now that we have a main striker who really knows how to play in the target man role.
The big serb has an excellent first touch and is able to hold off opponents ,make the occassional deft combination with onrushing team members and can also rough up opposing centre halves. He meets the ball on the half-turn which makes it almost impossible for even the strongest of CBs to make any contact with the ball without giving away a free-kick. His abillity to win free kicks is a real outlet when under pressure from teams trying to agressively press us. if your a midfielder making a lung busting run forward to combine with the target man its important that you know hes not going to lose the ball. AM`s attacking style moulds perfectly with our possession based football and frees up  other players.
He has also achieved as far as I can see, several firsts for us this season. He has had a header on target from a corner,got on the end of several crosses from balls played into the box as well as scoring 2 centre forward goals of the type that we havent seen from the whites  in  a long time.
Obviously the height of the big serb (6´2 i believe ), was very important in defending set pieces against Bristol city ,but his hold up play is also a primary reason for us concedeing only on goal in the last 3 games. He has made us a lot less vulnerable to being hit on the break ,as the ball usually sticks when it comes to his feet. His goal against Wolves also shows his potency when given half a chance , from nothing. He has a confidence and swagger about him which is so great to see. Since the end of the transfer window we have become even better at keeping the ball ,with the added aspect that we now have a great deal more pentration in our play in the opponents last third . A massive well done to the people in the club responsible for making quality signings in January! 

FulhamStu

Agree with all this.  Massive signing for us.

YankeeJim

I think everyone would agree except Rui Fonte.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

alfie

Quote from: YankeeJim on February 26, 2018, 10:17:48 PM
I reckon even Rui Fonte would probably agree, he is not that type of player, so really can't compare the 2.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

JoelH5

Quote from: alfie on February 26, 2018, 10:32:01 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on February 26, 2018, 10:17:48 PM
I reckon even Rui Fonte would probably agree, he is not that type of player, so really can't compare the 2.

What good? ;)
I was there, standing in the Putney end

lamby

It is like watching a Bobby Zamora who can score goals :-)

The Rock

So, my Newcastle m8 at work subtly walked up today and was like "Mitrovic is gonna get you promoted isn't he?"

I was ready to kiss the ring. He couldn't believe Newcastle would throw him away and that it was only their style of play that prohibited them from using him. He couldn't believe how they didn't use him and thought he was their best striker and that they should have used him as a target man.

Their loss is our gain, for now.

lamby

Actually, the guy he reminds me of (as an Australian) is Mark Viduka. A big, not quite fit looking, Balkan (Croatian parents) who holds the ball up and has touch on the ball that a bloke that big should not have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZE0aenaPFA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jRjUYAobZ8

toshes mate

There is one thing about players that fans can immediately detect and that is when they do the business with ho nonsense.  Targett was first to demonstrate his status as a 'quality' addition, and Mitrovic has done exactly the same in spite of his apparent lack of match play sharpness and fitness.  What I like is his ability to read the game so well for a guy who is quite young in footballing terms.  It is that which allows him to get into places that upset and disturb opponents, a distraction that Rui Fonte also wants to cause bur with less hope of success.  They are not footballers out of the same mould.  His goal on Saturday came from close control and body strength taking two defenders out of contention and then delivering a sweet strike low down just inside the post where a keeper will always struggle.  For me the best news is the guy is only going to get better.  I hope Fulham can do the business and sign him permanently in the summer window.

Bassey the warrior

Has been unplayable since he arrived, got everything in his locker. He just needs to avoid getting sent off.

grandad

Whichever division we are in next season I want us to sign him permanently. Newcastle can keep Gayle. AM offers so much more.
Where there's a will there's a wife

colinwhite

cant think of that many sides who play with a traget man these days ....

cmg

His terrific performance on Saturday was an excellent demonstration of what we have needed for some time.
Scared the life out of me and I was just sitting in front of the tv and haven't put on a no.5 shirt for 50 years.

Bill2

Hope that his loan agreement does not have a recall clause as can Benitez may see what he is missing and recall him. He is playing really well and I admit I had some doubts over his rash tackling I think (hope) that was due to having to chase the ball in a poor side. Playing in a side who can give him the ball allows him to play.

VancouverWhite

JOND999

agree with earlier post that it's unusual these days to play with a big target man.  defences are stronger and more organized.  hard for a physical striker to find room "on the turn" anymore.  but Mitro seems to have the knack for space, at this level at least. 

don't get me wrong, i'm psyched with Mitro's skill, physicality and energy.  he gives us a different dimension.  i'm just thinking ahead to when we pip Cardiff for the 2nd auto promote spot what should our team strategies be at the next level  ;-)