watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (02/03/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 02, 2018, 07:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon scoops London Football Award double; beating stars of Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs to young player prize

The 17-year-old swept up at the awards ceremony, winning Young Player of the Year and EFL Player of the Year.

Fulham starlet Ryan Sessegnon has taken yet more plaudits after scooping a London Football Award double.

The 17-year-old won theYoung Player Of the Year award, which saw him beat the likes of Andreas Christensen (Chelsea), Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Arsenal), Davinson Sanchez (Tottenham) and Harry Winks (Tottenham).

Just as he thought his night couldn't get any better, Sessegnon was also awarded the prize for EFL Player of the Year; beating QPR's Alex Smithies and Brentford duo Romaine Sawyers and Josh Clarke to the prize.

It's been quite a year for the Fulham wonderkid after bursting onto the scene at Craven Cottage and starring in the Cottagers' push for promotion.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-ryan-sessegnon-scoops-london-14357489

WhiteJC

Double Win For Sess

Ryan Sessegnon has been crowned twice at the London Football Awards on Thursday evening.

The 17-year-old was up for Football League and Young Player of the Year, and he walked away with the trophy in each category.

Sessegnon was up against Brentford duo Josh Clarke and Romaine Sawyers, Millwall's George Saville, and Queens Park Rangers goalkeeper Alex Smithies for the Football League accolade.

His success means a Fulham player has won the trophy for three years in a row, following Moussa Dembélé and Tom Cairney in 2016 and 2017, respectively.

Sess faced fierce competition for the Young Player of the Year award, and was in fact the only nominee who doesn't play for a Premier League side. Andreas Christensen (Chelsea), Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Arsenal), Davinson Sanchez and Harry Winks (both Tottenham Hotspur) were the men beaten.

Slaviša Jokanović was up for Manager of the Year, but he was pipped to the accolade by Roy Hodgson.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/march/01/double-win-for-ryan-sessegnon

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon steals limelight from Harry Kane at London Football Awards

Ryan Sessegnon was named Young Player of the Year Credit: Reuters

Harry Kane won the Premier League Player of the Year award at the London Football Awards on Thursday night but had the limelight stolen by teenage sensation Ryan Sessegnon.

The 17-year-old Fulham player was named Young Player of the Year and EFL Player of the Year, recognised for his sensational surge to prominence. He's scored 13 goals in 34 Championship appearances so far this season, having started the year as a left-back.

"I'm honoured to receive this award. I'd like to say thank you to everyone, thank you to the team. This season we've played some really good football," said Sessegnon in that familiar football tune, hitting the beats of his speech like a seasoned pro. This is a young footballer with his head switched on.

It needs to be. All the attention was on him and outside it's getting bigger. Among a plethora of potential Premier League suitors, Spurs are seriously interested - big things are expected of a player who could well end up with more awards than those won on Thursday evening.

And who better to guide Sessegnon through the perils of breaking into a Premier League first team than Kane, who was absent on the night to ensure his proper 48 hour preparation for the game against Huddersfield on Saturday went undisturbed. Kane recorded a video message to accept Premier League Player of the Year, a prize he beat Cesar Azpilicueta, Wilfried Zaha and teammates Christian Eriksen and Heung-min Son to win.

"I think all players are aware that getting an award means they've done something special throughout the year," said David Moyes, one of the big names in the audience. "Whoever wins has deserved it, especially in London - there's a lot of big teams and players."

But where was Moyes' nomination? Next year perhaps? "I hope so... but I've got a lot do!"

Other victors at the London Football Awards, now in its fourth year, included Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson for Manager of the Year, while Brentford's Daniel Bentley saw off competition from Adrian, Thibaut Courtois, Heurelho Gomes and Hugo Lloris to be named Goalkeeper of the Year.

Perhaps it could be assumed that the lesser known Bentley, 24-years-old and without a single international cap at any level, might be pleased. "It was an absolute privilege even to be nominated!" he said with a genuine, wide and beaming smile.

QPR were recognised for their Game4Grenfell work with the Community Project of the Year award, presented by former England great, David Seaman, and Danny Jones from McFly, who took part in the celebrity football match organised to raise funds for victims of the Grenfell Tower tragedy.

Arsenal's Jordan Nobbs won Women's Player of the Year for the second year in a row and was delighted. "I'm touched and privileged," she began. "I think it's been incredible the way the women's game has developed, the increase in grass roots level has been phenomenal and hopefully we can carry on being role models. I've definitely seen the era of women's football change and I'm proud to be part of that."

Ian Wright was given the Outstanding Contribution to London Football award, handed the trophy by former Crystal Palace teammate Mark Bright.

A fellow former Arsenal hero, Bob Wilson watched from his table. He is behind the London Football Awards, raising money from the proceeds of the event for Willow, the charity he runs with his wife Meg.

"I think the whole of the 13 London clubs have embraced what we've done and it's not just the players and managers, it's the FA, League Managers Association," he enthused. "There were so many close calls, like Lloris and Bentley, it was so tight and all the people who voted were former players, journalists".

Willow supports seriously ill young adults aged 16 to 40 by giving them "unforgettable Special Days". 

"In year one we did 17 special days out of a bedroom," Wilson continues. "We raised money wherever we could. Now we have 50 staff! And in all we've given 14,500 Special Days. You saw that with the shirt (a signed Game4Grenfell shirt)? It went for 25 grand (in auction). That's the sort of generosity in the room!"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/01/ryan-sessegnon-steals-limelight-harry-kane-london-football-awards/

WhiteJC

Spy in the camp: Derby County will have to deal with Fulham's dominant style of play to take anything from league clash

The Rams host Fulham at Pride Park Stadium on Saturday - and we have the inside track on what to expect

Derby County will be hoping to reignite their automatic promotion push against Fulham tomorrow.

The Rams, without a win in four, host a Fulham side who arrive at Pride Park Stadium on a 12-game unbeaten run.

Slavisa Jokanovic knows victory for his side, who start the game in fifth place in the Championship, will lift them above Derby.

We spoke to Ryan O'Donovan , Fulham writer for Get West London, to get the inside track on tomorrow's opponents.

What has been behind Fulham's recent run of form?

I think it's a combination of things - the squad seem to know their individual roles, whether they're regular starters or on the bench, and the fluidity has seen the side able to plug gaps, like Tom Cairney's absence, whereas in the past they would've struggled without him. I think it's also down to fitness, Fulham play a very dominant style of play that requires peak fitness and they just didn't have that for the first few months. Now, however, they can go through 95+ minutes with ease and have started scoring late on, as opposed to conceding like they were at the start. They're also extremely confident, and that always helps.

What are the fans' thoughts on Fulham's promotion chances?

They think this is a better chance than last season - the side aren't playing as easy on the eye football but it's getting them results. The form they've been on has seen fans think they have a real chance of promotion this season, probably their best since they came down, and at the rate they're going they fear no one, and why would they? Aston Villa and Wolves were both beaten comfortably in recent weeks.

Is second place within reach?

Yes, but I personally don't think they'll get it. Cardiff seem to keep grinding out results, while Villa seem to be able to pick up a positive result when they need it. If Fulham had to play Cardiff again I'd say it was more of a possibility, but at the moment eight points is just a little too far for me. Although saying that, when Fulham were 17th I would've laughed if someone mentioned automatic promotion!

Fulham players Derby and their fans will need to look out for

Ryan Sessegnon is the obvious one, he's the lad everyone is talking about and is the top scorer at just 17. Tom Cairney is another one, he's the metronome to the the side and dictates where and how Fulham are going to open up their opponents. Tim Ream has been a maverick in defence and has been my player of the season - strong and commanding on the ball.

Any early team news?

It looks like Fulham should have a fully fit squad to choose from.

What have you made of Derby County this season?

They've done well to be in the mix, I'm a big fan of Gary Rowett and knew he'd do a good job up at Derby. I have to say, I wasn't too impressed with Derby when I saw them at the Cottage in November but they've done well to prove me wrong and I think they'll definitely be in the Play-offs come the end of the season - everything after that is a lottery.

Prediction?

I think a score draw, maybe 2-2?

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-fulham-match-preview-1283418

WhiteJC

Sessegnon scoops London Football Awards double
by Dan on March 2, 2018

Fulham's teenage star Ryan Sessegnon earned recognition for his fantastic year by winning two trophies during last night's London Football Awards.

The 17-year-old won both the Football League player of the year and young player of the year categories – and his double success overshadowed the main award winner, Tottenham striker Harry Kane, who picked up the night's player of the year award. Sessegnon, who also won both of the Championship's player of the month awards for January after scoring six league goals in that month, received his Football League player of the year award from former Fulham forward Bobby Zamora.

The Fulham winger beat Brentford pair Josh Clarke and Romaine Sawyers, Millwall's George Saville and the QPR goalkeeper Alex Smithies to become the third successive Whites player to claim the player of the year award, following in the footsteps of Moussa Dembele in 2016 and his captain Tom Cairney last year. He then triumphed over top flight competitors to be voted London's player of the year ahead of Tottenham duo Davinson Sanchez and Harry Winks, Chelsea defender Andreas Christensen and Arsenal's Ainsley Maitland-Niles and received his trophy from ex-England defender Sol Campbell.

Sessegnon, who has scored thirteen goals in 34 league appearances this season, modestly credited his team mates and head coach Slavisa Jokanovic for his success after picking up his first award:

I'm honoured to receive this award. I'd like to say thank you to everyone, thank you to the team. This season we've played some really good football.

Jokanovic was nominated for the capital's manager of the year, but that award went to former Fulham manager Roy Hodgson, who was commended for his achievements in lifting Crystal Palace out of the top flight's relegation zone since taking over at Selhurst Park. The awards help raise money for the vital work carried out by the Willow Foundation, which is the country's only charity devoted to arranging special days for seriously ill people between the ages of sixteen and forty.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/03/sessegnon-scoops-london-football-awards-double/

WhiteJC

Huddlestone Says Rams Must 'Keep Their Nerve'

Tom Huddlestone knows what it takes to get over the finishing line at the top end of the Sky Bet Championship.

The midfielder achieved promotion to the Premier League with Hull City during the 2015/16 campaign.

The Tigers made the step-up to the top flight via the play-off route and overcame Derby at the semi-final stage before defeating Sheffield Wednesday at Wembley Stadium in the final itself.

Huddlestone has got plenty of experience under his belt in a long and distinguished career which started with the Rams at the age of 16.

As well as having a promotion on his CV, in addition to over 500 games in club football, he has also played in high-pressure games at the highest level for both club and country.

He isn't the only one as well and manager Gary Rowett has one of the most experienced squads in the division to call upon.

With Derby in the thick of the Championship's promotion race with 12 games to go, there's plenty of know-how and nous in the dressing room.

Ahead of Saturday's top-six clash against Fulham at Pride Park Stadium (3pm kick-off), Huddlestone feels it's vital that the squad keep their nerve as they enter the final two months of the campaign.

Derby go into the game against the Whites, who are unbeaten in 2018, off the back of five draws from their last seven matches – and the 31-year-old says it's time for the side to rediscover their consistency.

He told RamsTV: "It's about keeping your nerve and sticking together. The management staff and players are all on board and we need all the fans with us as one.

"We have the same objective; to get Derby County promoted. We set the standard a few months ago so we know we need to get back to that level. Our results recently have been a little bit of a blip, but every team has a spell like that during the season.

"Cardiff are flying high in second spot at the moment but it wasn't that long ago that they lost four on the spin.

"It's all getting back to the consistency which we had a few weeks ago for a large part of the season. We need to start keeping clean sheets because we know, with the attacking players that we have, we're going to get goals."

He added: "As the manager has said recently, we've probably created more chances in the last few games without actually winning them. We've conceded less chances as well but we're just not getting the rub of the green.

"We've made a few mistakes along the way as well. I suppose the only difference is if we made a mistake a few weeks ago we were perhaps getting away with it. We need to get back to what we were doing."

With 12 games to go, 36 points remain up for grabs.

The likelihood is that one automatic promotion place is up for grabs, with Wolverhampton Wanderers some way ahead of the rest in top spot.

Huddlestone believes there's all to play for in the coming weeks, particularly with Derby facing a number of their promotion rivals.

As well as facing Fulham this weekend they still have to play fellow top-six incumbents Wolves, Cardiff City and Aston Villa, as well as Middlesbrough and Preston North End who sit on the periphery.

Huddlestone explained: "We're heading into the last 25 per cent of the season now.

"Even though it feels like we're quite close to the end of the season there's still a large chunk of matches to play. We're playing a lot of teams in-and-around us as well so it's all to play for in the next two months.

"Obviously we've not been on the best of runs recently and some people on the outside are writing us off a bit, but if we'd have bitten your hand off to be in this position after the first month of the season.

"We have a lot of points to play for and, as I said earlier, it's all up for grabs."

Huddlestone believes Derby will take a confidence boost if they can defeat Fulham this weekend.

The Cottagers, who were beaten in the play-offs last season at the semi-final stage by Reading, have shot up the table in recent months.

They are currently the form side in the division and Huddlestone is convinced a positive result would be the perfect kick-start for the final two months of the campaign.

He said: "It's going to be a good advert for the Championship. Fulham like to play out from the back and their players are very comfortable in possession.

"They have been on a fantastic run but, as with ourselves, we know that good runs come to an end. Our objective is to take their unbeaten run in the calendar year.

"I think we probably need that win to give everyone that little bit more confidence and kind of kick-start the back end of the season.

"If we can get a win against a good team in Fulham, who are in great form, I think it will give everyone a lot of confidence."

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/03/huddlestone-says-rams-must-keep-their-nerve