more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are the media overeacting

Started by bobbo, February 28, 2018, 07:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bobbo on February 28, 2018, 08:48:34 PM
Yeah cmg that's what I thought, Montreal the coldest place I've ever been, was there Christmas 1980 29c below ----- that's nasty.

When I was in the Antarctic, it was so cold, we pulled everything out of the Freezer and climbed inside to keep warm. That's how cold it was.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: davew on March 01, 2018, 08:05:24 AM
Quote from: BestOfBrede on February 28, 2018, 10:47:25 PM
Not a flake in sight here.....
But then I am in Mexico thank god!
Hoping it will all be over by my return!

I wish you all well and safe though as the reports sound pretty bad.
Assume you won't be watching the World Golf Championships out there the next 4 days? Enjoy your stay m8!
No Dave, but have been tuned in to GJ for each game and will again on Saturday!
Hey mate there's a bar here that has loads and loads of different Gin's - you'd love it!

hovewhite

I'm getting up from Brighton and taking the club coach ,so just hoping trains are OK!

MikeW

That white out I said wasn't happening last night? Err .....

PS: Peroni reservoir holding up well.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

MikeW

Update: My missus just told me the country is running out of gas.  Didn't have the heart to tell her she is personally responsible.  Shudder to think what the bill will be.

Holders

Yes, they normally do. We have a Red Alert here for this afternoon -"take action, danger to life!". It's snowing lightly and there's maybe an inch and a half. When I was a kid we called that a heavy frost. They've closed the schools - total over-reaction.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

cmg

Quote from: Holders on March 01, 2018, 05:00:17 PM
Yes, they normally do. We have a Red Alert here for this afternoon -"take action, danger to life!". It's snowing lightly and there's maybe an inch and a half.

12 to 14 here near Motspur Park.
No, not inches, flakes.

BBC reporters in full Eskimo rig. Large dogs wandering about with small barrels. Olympic medalists cascading down Cannon Hill Common on tiny trays. First day of Spring.

MikeW

Update on earlier - I'm in a red alert area at present - danger to life etc.

Small problem.  It hasn't snowed for an hour?  I can still see the tarmac on road at the front and my garden deck hasn't got a flake on it!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: MikeW on March 01, 2018, 08:57:09 PM

Small problem.  It hasn't snowed for an hour?  I can still see the tarmac on road at the front and my garden deck hasn't got a flake on it!

My wife's been staring through the window ever since it started to snow. If it gets much heavier I may have to let her in.

Never forget your Roots.

terryr

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 01, 2018, 09:06:41 PM
Quote from: MikeW on March 01, 2018, 08:57:09 PM

My wife's been staring through the window ever since it started to snow. If it gets much heavier I may have to let her in.

That my friend, made me laugh 😂

ron

Other countries get snow; we get the wrong kind of snow. That's why two inches of the stuff here brings civilisation to a standstill. In a country where kids have to wear gloves, crash helmets and goggles to play conkers  and coffee cups have to warn "contents may be hot"...be afraid... be very afraid....

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 28, 2018, 08:08:38 PM
I tend to ignore these forecasts as it's all drama and over reaction for me. I hardly give it a thought, after all it is Winter.
I can remember the weather being far more extreme when I was a boy, and we all managed to get to school without a 4x4 to take us, and there was no central heating or TV or clowns telling me I cannot throw a Snowball. 
I and millions of others lived to tell the tale, without being wet nursed like the way the population is treated today.

All true, we took bad winters and a bit of snow in our stride.

However times were different , the roads were not so heavily loaded with traffic, most of us went to work by foot, bike or bus. Food was readily available at the corner shop only a short walk away, no need to risk an icy road in a car. Hospital Accident &Emergencies had capacity to handle the situation. Plenty of energy available generated from our own coal. No television to spread doom and gloom

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on March 02, 2018, 11:02:41 AM
I tend to ignore these forecasts as it's all drama and over reaction for me. I hardly give it a thought, after all it is Winter.
I can remember the weather being far more extreme when I was a boy, and we all managed to get to school without a 4x4 to take us, and there was no central heating or TV or clowns telling me I cannot throw a Snowball. 
I and millions of others lived to tell the tale, without being wet nursed like the way the population is treated today.

However times were different , the roads were not so heavily loaded with traffic, most of us went to work by foot, bike or bus. Food was readily available at the corner shop only a short walk away, no need to risk an icy road in a car. Hospital Accident &Emergencies had capacity to handle the situation. Plenty of energy available generated from our own coal. No television to spread doom and gloom

I can remember when it got really cold, we would have an open fire 🔥 in the living room, until we ran out of furniture to burn.

Never forget your Roots.

Tabby

Quote from: ron on March 02, 2018, 08:38:49 AM
Other countries get snow; we get the wrong kind of snow. That's why two inches of the stuff here brings civilisation to a standstill. In a country where kids have to wear gloves, crash helmets and goggles to play conkers  and coffee cups have to warn "contents may be hot"...be afraid... be very afraid....

The reason that other places handle it is due to them being more safety conscious along with their state having proper infrastructure to deal with it. I guess we could vote to introduce laws that everyone has to have proper tyres during winter and pay more taxes in order to keep a fleet of snow plows ready for when it snows, but that would be increasing the safety malarkey, which would be awful.

You think the UK nanny state is bad? It is nothing compared to Canada and the Nordics.

toshes mate

Quote from: filham on March 02, 2018, 11:02:41 AM

A well thought out response.  One of the biggest killer of all, IMO, is the legal profession and their realisation there is loads of money to be made from human misery and the punters that have answered their prayers. 

The Rock

I am puzzled myself. I've seen the snow from you all on Facebook - it's like 2-4 inches last few days right? I am in NY, and just saying this isn't very impressive, let alone to enough to really create that many travel problems.

I know it doesn't snow as much in the UK, but are there no snow plows or salt spreaders?

Whatever you do, make sure you have bread and milk. That's it, and you will be saved.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rock on March 02, 2018, 06:18:24 PM
I am puzzled myself. I've seen the snow from you all on Facebook - it's like 2-4 inches last few days right? I am in NY, and just saying this isn't very impressive, let alone to enough to really create that many travel problems.

I know it doesn't snow as much in the UK, but are there no snow plows or salt spreaders?

Whatever you do, make sure you have bread and milk. That's it, and you will be saved.

Your absolutely right, Bread 🥖 🍞 and Milk, and a warm woman to serve you with them.

Never forget your Roots.

The Rock

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 02, 2018, 07:50:45 PM

Your absolutely right, Bread 🥖 🍞 and Milk, and a warm woman to serve you with them.

#stillheartyoumammoth

Wingnut

Heaviest snow in decades has hit the UK over the last few days, up to two foot in certain places. These weather events are a one off in the UK, so we don't have the infrastructure to deal with them.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.