News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

All truly loyal fans watched us at Loftus Road. Discuss.

Started by Scrumpy, September 22, 2010, 09:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

I watched us for 2 years at Loftus Road. It wasn't The Cottage, but at least it was Fulham. I know some fans who just found it too painful to watch the lads at The Loftodome, and refused to go. Some went to away matches, but not home matches.

Now I feel that I am a better 'fan' because I stuck with my team, and gave them my hard earned cash when they needed it most. I'm just interested as to who from here went, and who boycotted those matches.........and would you argue otherwise, that YOU were the more loyal fans?
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

JBH

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

before my time,but does that make me any "less" of a fan?
I don't think so :dft012:

finnster01

Quote from: JBH on September 22, 2010, 09:52:36 PM
I did but this is a pathetic pointless post  :doh:
I don't know about pathetic, but I have to agree it is a bit of a pointless post as it is a time I have wanted to forget for a long time. Sitting in those urine infested seats trying to justify to myself why I had paid for season tickets was outrageous when moneywise I was extremely hard up. Not to mention the sh1t pub outside the ground. And then living under the fear that we would build a joint ground. Oh what a horror...It doesn't make me a better fan though, me thinks 
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

manxman

"What in the hell is diversity?"
"Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

Scrumpy

I'm sorry if it came over that way, and it's obviously only intended for fans that were around to make that decision back then. I was hoping to encourage a discussion about whether it was better to force change by boycotting, or tow the party line. Should we be blindly loyal, or is it better to stand outside and protest. What would make you stop supporting the team?

Never mind, I'll go back to reading the more 'insightful' posts that are simply updating this evening's scores, even though they are also on the T.V., the Radio, text updates etc.  :dft012:

Heh, hum.

White Noise

I was almost guilty of just reading the thread title (which has been played out ad nauseum on 'Cottage Corner' in their tireless and tiresome search for the only 3 'real' Fulham fans left alive!) Scrumpy but reading your post itself you raise an interesting question.

Its easy to say with hindsight but support rather than boycott was the best move in the end. As Tony Gilroy said the other day, there was a fair amount to like about the Loftadrome in terms of atmosphere and football watching experience. Ok the seats are packed in tighter than non-neanderthals can sit comfortably in but there were worse alternatives.

It was kind of like visiting your Dad in prison but it made you appreciate all you stood to lose.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 22, 2010, 10:04:53 PM

I'm sorry if it came over that way, and it's obviously only intended for fans that were around to make that decision back then. I was hoping to encourage a discussion about whether it was better to force change by boycotting, or tow the party line. Should we be blindly loyal, or is it better to stand outside and protest. What would make you stop supporting the team?

Never mind, I'll go back to reading the more 'insightful' posts that are simply updating this evening's scores, even though they are also on the T.V., the Radio, text updates etc.  :dft012:

Heh, hum.

Don't know whether I'd phrase it as being loyal or not being loyal, but I definitely think it's an interesting question.

As you say - be loyal cos it's our club etc etc or do as the continentals do (e.g. boycott derby matches) and tell the club where to go when we as fans get a bad deal.

My own view is that we probably are too loyal - why should I fork out £500 (to sit in the Hammy end) or £700 (to sit middle of Johnny Haynes stand) or £40 to see flippin' Spurs when I could have a good seat season ticket for a Champions League winning side like Lyon or Real Madrid for £100-200? Of course we do, and I'm sitting here typing in a £45 kit. I also paid £20 to see England after one of the most unenjoyable World Cups (from an England fans view) for ages.

Well worth a read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2005/sep/02/sport.blueprintforabetterfootball

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot" - Groucho Marx.

Football fans are idiots. Or, to rephrase that sentence using less incendiary language: when it comes to football, intelligent people act stupid. And yes, that probably includes you.

Gah, what do I know - after the last few matches I feel a bit sick of football, I probably need a few weeks off. For what it's worth, the Loftus Road stuff was before my time. But I think I probably would have gone.

LBNo11

...I am at a loss why this could be thought as a pointless post Jezamy Bates? Thought provoking and a subject of intelligent debate to the posters of this MB is the likely outcome as it is 99% of the time.

Regarding the boycott of the loftadrome, I did not go to any games until Mr Fayed had written that we would return to Craven Cottage, as soon as he did I started to go to that dump to watch Fulham.

I didn't feel I need to defend my position after being an attending Fulham fan since 1967, I genuinly beleive that we were being 'sold down the river' and to me Fulham is Craven Cottage, and Craven Cottage is Fulham...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Scrumpy

Quote from: LBNo11 on September 22, 2010, 10:32:41 PM
...I am at a loss why this could be thought as a pointless post Jezamy Bates? Thought provoking and a subject of intelligent debate to the posters of this MB is the likely outcome as it is 99% of the time.

Regarding the boycott of the loftadrome, I did not go to any games until Mr Fayed had written that we would return to Craven Cottage, as soon as he did I started to go to that dump to watch Fulham.

I didn't feel I need to defend my position after being an attending Fulham fan since 1967, I genuinly beleive that we were being 'sold down the river' and to me Fulham is Craven Cottage, and Craven Cottage is Fulham...

Thanks LB. So you would only watch Fulham somewhere other than Craven Cottage if you had absolute assurances that we would return? 

(I liked WNs analogy about visitting your Dad in prison, by the way.)

LBNo11

..."So you would only watch Fulham somewhere other than Craven Cottage if you had absolute assurances that we would return?" 

Scrumpy, it is a dilemma that I faced once and hope not to ever again. Craven Cottage was modified as an all seater stadium to now hold 25,700(?) and only now are we starting to fill it regularly. With some sympathetic and clever architecture we may increase the capacity to over 30,000.

With a club of our resources, and very local competition for fans in all leagues, a larger stadium elsewhere could be the death knell for the club if we dropped out of the top-flight.

For those reasons, as well as the historical ones for me Fulham is Craven Cottage and Craven Cottage is Fulham...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

watfordwhite

To be honest I did go to Lofts Rd, but it was very handy for me as I was working in uxbridge Rd at the time, so as I left work on a saturday afternoon (3pm)I popped round the corner to see Fulham. I was very happy to return to the Cottage, and would rather not go back to those dark days. If anything it made me appreciate what we have at the Cottage even more.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Dude, you stuck by your team when they needed it and that is very much to be applauded,however we really cannot claim to have what could be called " glory hunting fans" as they all go down the road,if your a Fulham fan you are because you love the club
as I've said before I'm not from London so I have no affiliation to the area,so why am I here?
I was recommended by a Chelsea fan(condescending but still) and I fell in love with the team,the place,my fellow fans-the whole old school vibe,and if any idiot says we are not a passionate  bunch they didn't hear the Hammersmith roar against Juve or Hamburg(stand up if you still believe :Sparkyticus: )
This is my club and god forbid we ever go down I'll still be here,Fulham is my team and that is indeed that.
Saying things about who is a real fan and who isn't is really dangerous,how about the guys in the States and our Aussies and others?????? my rule of thumb is this-if the club is truly in your heart,it matters to you as much as anything in your life does, well your family,your in-if you get to every game every season,if you get to one,if you tune in on the internet at stupid o'clock in the morning if this club matters to you,well for me,your as much as a supporter as any of us :59:
just my two pence :clap_hands: :clap_hands:

wadey

yep i went to laughtarse road to watch fulham...hated every nano-second of going to that plague riddled hole...but as i said...went to watch fulham fc

FatFreddysCat

Not a pointless post at all (perhaps badly worded though Scrumpy). I went, but originally i did think about boycotting, and came really close to doing it. For me it's so much easier to get to Laugharse rd, only 20 minutes on the tube to Shite City, but i was over the moon to go back to CC. As it happens i got nicked at home to Newcastle for drinking in the stand, the old Bill tried to get me banned, but after numerous court appearances and probably many thousands of pounds it got thrown out of court as they didn't turn up one day and the judge got the hump.

FatFreddysCat

And no i dont count myself as a better fan for going, i actually admire the people who did stay away as a form of protest, i dont think i could have brought myself to go to a half empty Scumford Bridge if that was the way it turned out. I do actually count myself as a crap supporter now, cant believe i done all the sh1t stuff, but now think of the lack of money and stay away.

Lighthouse

Sorry but a post about loyalty IS pathetic. If you live miles away and have a job that makes you work Saturdays etc etc. Am I a better fan because I travelled from Scotland on a Friday Night to Brighton and then back up to Fulham to watch Rochdale. I bet there were fans who didn't turn up who lived around the corner.

So there are many reasons I refused to go to Loftus Road having had a season ticket for for twenty years, failed relationships because of my obsession, failed jobs because I wanted to watch Fulham instead of work.

No people who went to Loftus ROad are no better and no worse than those who didn't. A fan is a fan is a fan. An American fan who has never watched a live game is as important as a fan than anybody else. Loyalty posts ARE simply divisive. Although I defend your right to make it.  :005:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Terry Tibbs

I agree 100% Sorry Scrumpy, I don't want to cause any offence, but this sort of thread is one of the prime reasons I left the OFAL (apart from being banned, of course!).  Seriously, there was always loads of threads saying people couldn't say they were real supporters unless they had been at a certain game, been supporting for a certain amount of time etc etc etc.  No one can tell me I don't love this daft club, and I would NEVER EVER presume to do the same.  All the best to you, Scrumpy.

Quote from: manxman on September 22, 2010, 09:57:47 PM
hmm seems like cottage corner.

Terry Tibbs

Plus one.  Lighthouse, you put it so much better than I did!  :54:
Quote from: Lighthouse on September 23, 2010, 12:05:51 AM
Sorry but a post about loyalty IS pathetic. If you live miles away and have a job that makes you work Saturdays etc etc. Am I a better fan because I travelled from Scotland on a Friday Night to Brighton and then back up to Fulham to watch Rochdale. I bet there were fans who didn't turn up who lived around the corner.

So there are many reasons I refused to go to Loftus Road having had a season ticket for for twenty years, failed relationships because of my obsession, failed jobs because I wanted to watch Fulham instead of work.

No people who went to Loftus ROad are no better and no worse than those who didn't. A fan is a fan is a fan. An American fan who has never watched a live game is as important as a fan than anybody else. Loyalty posts ARE simply divisive. Although I defend your right to make it.  :005:

Steve_orino

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 23, 2010, 12:05:51 AM
An American fan who has never watched a live game is as important as a fan than anybody else.

I've watched a 'Live game' on TV...in HD!  The Cottage 'looked' magnificent!   :doh:

I know, I know  :yellow:

Part of the reason my signature mentions "Following" is because I wasn't born Fulham and I can't attend games...I chose Fulham.  The way I figure it though, is if I'm still around after 5 years, then I think I could justifiably be called a Supporter.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09