more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (03/03/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 03, 2018, 07:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Derby County Vs Fulham

Derby County are back at Pride Park Stadium and host Fulham on Saturday looking to extend their unbeaten run at home to nine matches. Let's see where we can cash in with official betting partner Coral...

Coral make Derby 6/4favourites to win the match, which is probably fair but perhaps a bit too short for a Single bet. But an ideal place to start a weekend accumulator.

Every winning four-fold qualifies for a 10% Acca Boost for Coral members. So you only need to add another three Match Results at similar prices for a return of around 38/1 – plus your 10% bonus!

Plus, there are better ways to cash in on the Home Win...

Remarkably, all nine of Derby's home wins have been accompanied with a clean sheet so the Win to Nillooks great value at7/2.

Six of the nine have gone under 2.5 goals, so you might also be tempted by the Derby Win & Under 2.5 Goals at 16/5.

Or for bigger prices, you could go for a fifth 2-0 winning score line of the campaign at 12/1, or a sixth 3-0 at a massive 25/1.

If you like big prices, you should also check out Coral's #YourCallbets via Twitter. All you have to do is tweet @coral with a multiple of your choice and if accepted it will appear in the #YourCall section of the match bets.

So for example, Derby to win, both teams to score and over 10.5 corners pays 13/2

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/03/derby-county-vs-fulham-the-betting-preview

WhiteJC

Derby County v Fulham
SAT 03 Mar 2018  Championship
Venue: Pride Park Stadium

Andre Wisdom has made 18 starts for Derby County this season

Andre Wisdom is set to replace the suspended Chris Baird at right-back for Derby against promotion rivals Fulham.

The fitness of Derby's Matej Vydra will be assessed after their leading scorer missed last week's draw with Reading.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has no injury concerns as he aims to extend the 12-match unbeaten run which has lifted the Whites into the play-offs.

The Serb faces a choice of which of his six loanees to omit, with Lucas Piazon missing last week's win over Wolves.

Fulham's run of nine wins from their past 12 league games has seen them move to within one point and one place of Gary Rowett's Rams, who have collected just 12 points from a possible 27 since the start of 2018.

SAM's prediction
Home win 38%   Draw 29%   Away win 33%

SAM, the Sports Analytics Machine, is a super-computer built by @ProfIanMcHale of the University of Liverpool.

Match facts

Derby have won each of their last seven home league matches against Fulham in the second tier, with an aggregate score of 16-3.
    Fulham have kept one clean sheet in their last 25 away league visits to Derby, a 1-0 win in January 2002 in the Premier League.
    Kasey Palmer has scored in each of his last two league appearances for Derby - as many as in his previous 25 combined (three games for Derby, 22 for Huddersfield).
    Fulham have won the most points (23) and scored the most goals (22) of any Championship side in 2018 so far.
    The Rams have not drawn three consecutive league matches at Pride Park since December 2005.
    Fulham forward Ryan Sessegnon has scored 13 goals from just 16 shots on target in the Championship this season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43178130

WhiteJC

PL2: Norwich Fixture Rearranged

Fulham's Under-23s match against Norwich City has been rearranged for Wednesday 7th March in a 7pm kick off at Carrow Road.

The Whites were due to travel to the Colney Training Centre on Friday to play the Canaries in the PL2 fixture, however, with the current weather affecting the country the match was postponed.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/march/02/pl2-norwich-fixture-rearranged

WhiteJC

Praise for 'improved' Fulham defender Ream

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has praised the performances of centre-back Tim Ream.

The American has impressed during the Whites' 12-match unbeaten run, helping them keep clean sheets against Middlesbrough, Burton, Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa and Wolves.

While others like Ryan Sessegnon and Aleksandar Mitrovic have grabbed the headlines, Ream's displays have been rewarded with four man of the match awards.

"He has improved a lot," said Jokanovic, ahead of the team's trip to Derby.

"He has improved because he is working. He has shown his professionalism every second on the field and on the training ground.

"I am not surprised at how he is working in this team. He is a very important player for our style and how we want to play.

"He is in a great level of form. He must keep going and try to be at the highest level."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/improved-lot-jokanovic-praises-unsung-fulham-man

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon: Fulham's teenage forward praises manager Slavisa Jokanovic

Teenager Ryan Sessegnon (centre) has been an ever-present for Fulham in the Championship this season

Fulham forward Ryan Sessegnon says manager Slavisa Jokanovic has had a "massive impact" on his career.

The 17-year-old, who initially broke into the team last season at left-back, has scored 13 goals for the Championship club so far in 2017-18.

"For someone to have faith in you at the tender age of 16 is massive," Sessegnon told BBC Radio London.

"This season he has had total confidence in me and I just want to repay him with my performances."

'Fulham style helps my development'
Roehampton-born Sessegnon joined Fulham at under-nine level, and was handed his first-team debut by Jokanovic in August 2016, in an EFL Cup victory over Leyton Orient.

After featuring 30 times in all competitions last season, scoring seven goals, he signed his first professional deal last summer to commit to Fulham until June 2020.

The highly-rated teenager has started every league game for the west London side this term and, used in a more advanced role, is the Whites' top scorer.

Sessegnon, who has attracted interest from Manchester United and Tottenham, got recognition for his form over the course of this campaign at the London Football Awards on Thursday, winning the EFL Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year awards.

"Credit to the gaffer for playing me in a higher position," he said.

"My debut season was a good one for me, especially at 16, but I said that I want to improve. That is what I am doing at the moment and I want to keep on going.

"The way we are playing at the moment has helped me develop as a player.

"The football we have been playing, especially in recent weeks, is a very attractive brand and I am grateful to the gaffer that he keeps choosing me."

Jokanovic backs Sessegnon for England future

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has played Sessegnon as part of a front three this season

Sessegnon has been a key part of Fulham's promotion bid this season and Jokanovic, who has been in charge at Craven Cottage since December 2015, has backed the youngster to win full England recognition.

He was part of the England squad which won the European Under-19 Championship last summer but missed last October's Under-17 World Cup, which his twin brother Steven helped England to win, because of his commitments with Fulham.

Jokanovic believes the World Cup in Russia this summer may come too soon for the teenager, but he thinks he will eventually establish himself in the senior squad.

"This man has showed the quality to compete in senior football and has become champion of Europe, with a generation two years older," Jokanovic, 49, said.

"I trust this kid to do important things.

"If he goes to the World Cup - I cannot make the decision - it won't be the first time for England. Michael Owen and Theo Walcott were part of this tournament at a similar age.

"If they decide not to bring him this time I am sure he is going to be part of the next European Championship."

Interview with Ryan Sessegnon by BBC Radio London's Lucy Oliva.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43257418

WhiteJC

Why former Nottingham Forest man thinks Derby County will lose to Fulham

The two sides played out a 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage when they last met in November

Derby County are preparing to face promotion rivals Fulham in their next match in the Sky Bet Championship.

The Rams go into the match at Pride Park on the back of a 3-3 draw at Reading last weekend.

Gary Rowett's side sit in fourth place in the league table and are seven points outside of the automatic promotion places, with 12 games to go.

Cardiff City occupy second place, while Aston Villa are three points clear of Derby in third place.

Fulham go into the clash with the Rams on a 12-game unbeaten run in the league – a run that includes wins over Villa, Cardiff and league leaders Wolves.

The last time these two sides met was in November, when they played out a 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage – with goals from Oliver Norwood and Matej Vydra.

Former Nottingham Forest midfielder and Sky Sports pundit David Prutton has provided his prediction for this weekend's match.

Prutton reckons that the Rams will taste defeat against the Cottagers at Pride Park, handing out a 2-1 prediction in favour of the away side.

"Derby will be starting to get a little bit nervous that it's all happening again," said Proton.

He added: "They looked so assured a few weeks ago but now have just one win in their last seven and they are drifting back down the table.

"Fulham, meanwhile, are absolutely flying and will be full of confidence heading to Pride Park, especially after that victory over Wolves last week.

"I think Slavisa Jokanovic's side will claim all three points."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-nottingham-forest-man-thinks-1287682

WhiteJC

'The scenes towards the end of the game were farcical' - Derby County columnist recalls crucial win for Rams against Fulham

Bobby Davison goal against the London side helped Peter Taylor's side avoid relegation

The other week I was at the Leeds United game and out of the corner of my eye spotted a familiar face from my childhood.

It was Bobby Davison, my all-time Rams hero, who was sitting alongside fellow ex-Derby striker Kevin Wilson, who were both doing a bit of punditry for Rams TV.

In his Derby County career Bobby scored many important goals, none more so than the one he bagged against this weekend's opponents Fulham 35 years ago.

It was a goal that rubber-stamped Second Division survival for the Rams, while bringing to an end Fulham's hopes of gaining promotion to the First Division.

It was the final game of the season and, for Fulham, the mathematics were thus. They were level on points with Leicester City, who were sitting in the third and final promotion spot. But Fulham had a vastly inferior goal difference.

Basically, they had to better Leicester City's result, with the Foxes taking on Burnley.

Derby, on the other hand, had endured a torrid season. It was hard to believe that just eight years earlier the Rams had been English champions.

The club needed a point to guarantee avoiding relegation to the Third Division - and thanks to a goal from Davison, the Rams secured all three.

Managed by Peter Taylor, the Rams line-up contained names such as Archie Gemmill and Kenny Burns, although it would be fair to say not exactly in their prime.

In the game, Derby played above themselves - thanks in no small part to the Rams faithful, who on the day created a highly intimidating atmosphere.

With 15 minutes to go, Davison volleyed in the only goal of the match. But it was what happened after that goal which made the headlines at the time.

As many of us who had the privilege of watching Derby play there, the Baseball Ground was always a difficult place for away teams to visit.

With its tall, narrow stands on all four sides, rather than being lost on the wind, the noise seemed to stay within the stadium.

Added to that was the feeling that the crowd was so close to the pitch they could reach out and pull your shorts down while taking a corner kick or a throw.

At that Fulham game, the crowd had been swollen by Derby's need to stay up - and the team responded to that extra support.

However, following Davison's goal, some of those supporters got a little too carried away.

The crowd invaded the pitch to celebrate Davison's strike before being temporarily penned back in by policemen with dogs.

With full-time approaching, the fences behind the goal were opened and the crowd spilled out and stood on the touchline.

The scenes towards the end of the game, with Derby fans cramming the touchline were farcical. It was like they were watching a game down at Chaddesden Racecourse.

With five minutes to play, Fulham were attacking on the left wing when Robert Wilson was kicked by a Rams supporter.

Then the referee called a halt with two minutes left when the crowd, thinking that the referee had signalled for full-time when he had actually blown for a free-kick, invaded the pitch.

In the end, for Fulham, it would not have mattered if they had scored in those last few minutes. Leicester had drawn with Burnley, which meant Fulham would have needed to score twice to win promotion.

Fulham appealed to the Football League for the match to be replayed, and Derby, safe in the knowledge that results elsewhere had gone their way and it transpired the Rams hadn't needed any points to stay up in the first place.

But the Football League decided to uphold the result, promoting Leicester, while keeping Fulham down.
Read More

It was a decision that was to cost Fulham dear as it would be another 18 years before they finally made it into the top flight.

Would I have been upset if the boot was on the other foot? Yes, I probably would.

And I'm sure, even now, that infamous game at the Baseball Ground sticks in the craw of Fulham fans of a certain vintage.

No doubt, they probably had a grin on their faces when one of their old boys, Bobby Zamora, did what he did to us in the 2014 play-off final.

Fast forward to this season, both teams are placed towards the business end of the table and are well in contention for a play-off spot.

Hopefully, we can repeat what we did 35 years ago and put a dent in their promotion hopes by taking a much-needed three points - while everyone stays off the pitch!

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bobby-davison-derby-county-fulham-1270309

WhiteJC

Defender clarifies once and for all reasons behind failed Fulham transfer

Fulham's alleged interest in Maxime Poundjé is something we've been covering for quite some time, with various reasons being reported as to why the transfer never went through last summer.

First, we got Bordeaux's president claiming it was because the left-back loved the club and the town too much.

Then, Sud-Ouest, the local newspaper, stated it was due to the fact Poundjé wasn't entirely satisfied with the financial aspect of his deal at Fulham, despite the two clubs agreeing on a fee.

Well, now we get to hear from the player himself, who gave an interview on Friday to the aforementioned media outlet, and he took some time to clear the air.

He said: "Apparently, I had an offer from Fulham. There were rumours they were interested, but I never felt it as something solid. The way it happened, I didn't find that great.

"Things aren't always as they're told... In football, there's a lot of fake news. You get told it would be good for you, get more time... Fulham is a very good club for whom I have a lot of respect, but this story isn't what people put it out to be, and leaving for the sake of it didn't interest me".

Well, there you have it, we're glad that's sorted.

Now, we just need to hope that Diego Contento does the same regarding his supposed strange interaction with the Cottagers involving a refusal to play reserve football in order for him to be scouted.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/defender-clarifies-reasons-behind-failed-fulham-transfer/

WhiteJC

Sessegnon: 'I want to get Fulham back into the Premier League'
by Dan on March 2, 2018

The day after winning a London Football Awards double and the media are awash with new Ryan Sessegnon stories. The Fulham winger, who was voted the young player of the year and the EFL player of the year in Battersea last night, followed a couple of speeches with a round of press interviews, during which he skillfully swerved the prospect of a Premier League move, stressing that his main focus was helping the Whites win a return to the top flight this season.

Sessegnon told the Daily Telegraph that he hadn't really considered what might be on the cards if Slavisa Jokanovic's side didn't win promotion from the Championship.

I dunno really, to be honest. I'm not too sure. I'm really focused on Fulham at the moment. Championship, Premier League... I want to get us into the Premier League. I just want to keep improving.

He also told the Telegraph football correspondent JJ Bull of how important the club had been in his development.

I love the game. Especially with Fulham, I see the club that's given me the chance to play in the Premier League, I give it all every game, every training session, I just want my team to play in the Premier League. When I made my debut they had a lot of confidence in me already but they really stepped it up another gear this year.

Sessegnon reveals that he looked up to Luke Shaw and Gareth Bale whilst growing up.

When I was younger I had two players: Luke Shaw and Gareth Bale. When Shaw was at Southampton he was a left-back and I loved watching him bomb up and down the wing, create goals, score goals, so I think I try to emulate that. Gareth Bale same thing really.

The youngster says much of the credit for his meteoric rise has to go to Jokanovic. He told BBC Radio London about his desire to repay the Serbian head coach's belief in his ability:

For someone to have faith in you at the tender age of 16 is massive. This season he has had total confidence in me and I just want to repay him with my performances. Credit to the gaffer for playing me in a higher position.

My debut season was a good one for me, especially at 16, but I said that I want to improve. That is what I am doing at the moment and I want to keep on going. The way we are playing at the moment has helped me develop as a player.

The football we have been playing, especially in recent weeks, is a very attractive brand and I am grateful to the gaffer that he keeps choosing me.

Confidence isn't in short supply. Even though James Olley, who was on the judging panel for the awards confirms that Sessegnon shook his head when considering the prospect of a full international call-up, the 17 year-old believes he could be an asset to the England side if Gareth Southgate did find a place for him on the plane to Russia for the World Cup this summer.

Who knows? Theo Walcott did it, Michael Owen did it so I could be ready. If I did get the call, it would be a fantastic achievement. I'll be ready if I get the call. If I don't, I'll be cheering them on the TV hoping they do well. It is nice for the gaffer to say that about me. Who knows? Hopefully it will happen.

2017 was a great year for England's youth age groups. To win that Under-19s Euros does give you that confidence and knowing how to win a major tournament. If I was to get the call for Russia, I'd know something about tournament football and people say that has often been England's problem. It is at a lower level but the experience of coming through a tournament successfully can only be a good thing if I get the chance to go up the age groups.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/03/sessegnon-i-want-to-get-fulham-back-into-the-premier-league/

WhiteJC

Derby County v Fulham preview

It's impossible not to see Derby v Fulham as a potentially decisive moment in the season.  Victory for the Rams would reignite hope, even if it is fainter now, of stealing second spot.  A draw would at least keep the resurgent Cottagers below us for the time-being.  A win for Fulham, on the other hand, would see them leapfrog us into genuine contention for automatic promotion, booting Derby further towards the dogfight for fifth or sixth.

Fulham's form has been sensational since Christmas – their combined goals for and against from 23 December onwards is 30-9 (Derby's is 18-10).  Their capture of Aleksandr Mitrović feels like the key factor – finally, they have a strong central striker to bolster their pretty attacking patterns, providing a rugged reference point for all of those technical attacking midfield players in their ranks.  Basically, the job they wanted Chris Martin to do last season (but let's not get into that).

Derby on the other hand cannot be said to have strengthened in January and as soon as news broke that Sam Winnall's season was over, it was clear that they went into February weakened as a squad.  There should have been time to plan for Johnny Russell's long-trailed departure, but, for whatever reason, nothing was done.  If Kasey Palmer is viewed solely as cover for Matej Vydra and not as a serious wide option, suddenly, a squad which was by general agreement "bloated" starts to feel almost threadbare in attacking areas.

I asked Daniel Smith from Fulham Focus what has gone right for Fulham this calendar year and he wasn't exactly short of responses, given their incredible form.  Unsurprisingly, he points to Fulham's success in loaning Mitrović:-

"Mitro gives us that much-needed presence up front, bringing the others into play and is clinical in front of goal, as he proved in our last two matches.  He has also surprised me with his work-rate and ability to win back possession high up the pitch."

But another key factor was the loan signing of left back Matt Targett from Southampton.  "Targett was effectively two signings in one, as it has allowed Ryan Sessegnon to play further up the pitch.  So just by having Targett, who's accomplished both defensively and picking out a pass, we also have our best finisher playing in the position that causes the opposition the most damage."

Sessegnon is frightening.  17 years old and bagging Championship goals for fun.  His shot map makes him look like a predatory poacher, rather than a winger:

So in some ways, this is a tale of two Januarys.  While Derby were mostly interested in shipping out surplus players, presumably to ensure compliance with Financial Fair Play regulations, Fulham had a more successful window.  "We managed to hold onto all of our key players, like the much sought after Sessegnon, as well as Tom Cairney and Ryan Fredericks.  New additions have also gone a long way to turning us from a good team into a serious promotion contender, they really have been the icing on the cake for us."

We know that this will be a clash of styles – of attractive, technical, short passing football from the visitors against more reactive, direct, counter-attacking play from the home side.  There will be frustrating times in this game, perhaps for prolonged spells of it, when Derby can't get the ball off Fulham.  Let's face it, Jokanović's will play the more pleasing and progressive football.  But that is by Rowett's design.

The reactive philosophy is summed up well by the journalist Diego Torres, describing Mourinho's approach during his tenure at Real Madrid:-

1. The game is won by the team who commits fewer errors

2. Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition

3. Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it's better to encourage their mistakes

4. Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake

5. Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake

6. Whoever has the ball has fear

7. Whoever does not have it is therefore stronger

(H/T Jonathan Liew)

Last season, Fulham totally dominated the ball in an extraordinary game at Derby, but imploded defensively, thanks to erratic passing out from the back, a personal nightmare for goalkeeper David Button and David Nugent's magnificent poached hat-trick.  Although not ultimately crucial in the season – Derby missed the play-offs, Fulham lost in the play-offs – it was certainly a big result for proponents of counter-attacking football to point to and pure gold for anyone who rejects what they might call the "tippy-tappy" possession style.

Since then though, The Nuge has scored seven goals in 33 appearances – none at all since Christmas – and at 32, going on 33, it's impossible to escape the concern that he is a player whose best days are behind him.  Cameron Jerome has the physical attributes which Rowett prioritises and scored 16 goals for Norwich last season, but can he fit into the Derby side and make the number nine position his own in the coming months? 

Who would you start up front for #dcfc v Fulham? #dcfcfans

— Derby County Blog (@derbycountyblog) March 2, 2018

Meanwhile, there has been considerable angst about who should play at full back.  Craig Forsyth recently lost his place in the side to Marcus Olsson, who has just done exactly what he does – trundle up and down the wing competently enough with the ball at his feet, but look terribly vulnerable every time a high ball is aimed in his direction, or a tackle needs to be won.

Forsyth has his limitations as a player and has never been an accurate passer of the ball.  But if a cross comes in, or a fifty-fifty needs to be won, who would you want to be in there?  To me, the answer is clear and so as long as he is fit, I would stick with Forsyth at this point.

On the other flank, Rowett has trusted Chris Baird's experience over Andre Wisdom's pace and presence, a preference now disrupted by Baird's straight red at Reading.  Whether it was a fair decision or not, the dismissal was a result of Baird knowing that if he didn't make a challenge which stopped Mo Barrow from escaping up the wing, then he would never in a million years catch him.  At 36, Baird is still a solid player, but if he is caught out of position, he is screwed and knows it.  I don't understand why Rowett picked him to play against a player as fast as Barrow and am hoping that Wisdom will finally make the shirt his own during the veteran's suspension.

So, how do we beat Fulham?  If we are as passive as we were in the first half at Reading and allow them to dominate the ball without disruption, then I fear they will punish us.  But at the same time, if we're too aggressive and push too far up the pitch, they have the pacy players to catch us out – as good as Davies, Keogh, Huddlestone and Ledley are, they are not exactly blessed with speed, as was painfully demonstrated by Barrow's goal at the Madejski.

Against Reading, certainly in the first half, our full backs were quickly closed down whenever they received the ball, which meant that they had to either go backwards, or clear it down the line.  That meant that the Royals almost invariably got the ball straight back and could start again.  By contrast, the bulk of the Rams' pressing was done by Jerome and Palmer.  If the wide midfielders hold their position rather than trying to pin the full backs in, then Fulham will be able to build from the back, as our two forwards will rarely be able to prevent an out-ball.

Last year, we beat them by haranguing their defenders and Button – since replaced by Marcus Bettinelli, whom I'm told is better with the ball at his feet – into howlers and that has to be the way to go again.  It will take a lot of energy, commitment and guts to do it, because if they manage to pass around us, we'll be exposed to the likes of Cairney and Sessegnon in attack.  But if we just sit off them and let them build up pressure, they have more than enough quality to take advantage.

Victory in this game would be the biggest result of our season so far and certainly as far as form goes, we go into this as underdogs, home status notwithstanding.

But Fulham will come to Pride Park expecting a difficult afternoon and just as conscious of the importance of the occasion.  As Daniel says: "We don't tend to do well at your place, or against Rowett sides, so I'm quite nervous.  Despite you appearing to slow down a little of late, you're still a very good side with a very good manager, so for me, it's a season-defining game for both teams.

"The one that wins still has a serious chance of automatic promotion, a defeat or a draw and I reckon it's playoffs – at the moment, it looks very possible that we will end up facing each other."

This potentially fascinating clash of styles just might have a lot more than 90 minutes left to run.

http://www.derbycountyblog.com/derby-county-v-fulham-preview/

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic is happy after winning Fulham transfer battle
by Dan on March 2, 2018

The Independent's Jack Pitt-Brooke, one of the country's most perceptive young football writers, has a fascinating piece following an interview with Slavisa Jokanovic, which largely focuses on how the Serbian successfully won the Motspur Park power struggle over Fulham's transfer policy.

Jokanovic says he's much 'more satisfied' following a January transfer window that saw the club exclusively bring in players with English experience of the Championship and that he feels eradicating the past 'mistakes' will help the Whites in trying to win promotion back to the Premier League. Pitt-Brooke notes how Jokanovic's colleagues see him as much more relaxed now that Craig Kline has left the building and the coach himself is explicit about how changes from the summer have helped.

We bought a few players in August without any preparation, without pre-season, without these players knowing how we want to play, without me knowing what exactly they can offer us. I am working here in England, I want English people, or people who know what the English game is. If the club brings some players that I don't use, there can be two reasons for that. One is that I don't believe he's good enough. The other reason is if I am a completely crazy man, and I want to blame the player. But that would be without any sense.

I am now more satisfied than I was in the past. It is simple: from my point of view, we are working with more sense, and we make better steps. Part of work is making mistakes. But we must be careful to make less mistakes. You need to find people who you can trust, and who can help you immediately.

If I coach in Italy, I will try to have more Italian players. If I coach in Serbia, more Serbian players. Football is different in different parts of the world. English football is English, the Championship is the Championship. All these three players came to the training ground, opened their bags, put on their boots and played football. I don't have time now, in this level, to bring in people from another part [of the world]. Especially with 12 games in front of us. I need people who know about driving the car in the English style. Who know what life in England is.

Jokanovic also reveals how he has changed his approach at Fulham after losing Moussa Dembele and Ross McCormack – moving away from the two up front formation that had helped him take Watford up to a more possession based game that suits the Whites' strengths.

I always played with two strikers at Watford. Because my best players were strikers: Troy Deeney, Odion Ighalo, Matej Vydra and Fernando Forestieri. The team was really clinical. With these players I have in my hand right now, we take the decision to play in this way. Because I believe we are more safe with the ball than we are without it. We believe we can dominate the opposition with the ball. We are not the strongest, tallest team in the Championship. We miss the set pieces, we need to win some points in this situation, but we don't do it.

He gives the notion that Aleksandar Mitrovic, who has already hit the ground running since his loan move from Newcastle United on deadline day, has an attitude problem short shrift.

If I knew about this bad reputation, I don't sign him. First of all, he is Serbian, I am Serbian. He was top scorer in the qualification for the World Cup. He played for the team I did, Partizan Belgrade. I know what this player can do, his characteristics. He has the characteristics my team needs.

Mitrovic is strong. He gives us different options. We are not talking about the fastest player in this position in the world. But he can hold the ball, we can connect with him. He can be our target man. He can improve our set-pieces, and he can improve us in our defensive set-pieces. Football players can link with good players, easily.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/03/slavisa-jokanovic-is-happy-after-winning-fulham-transfer-battle/

WhiteJC

Rampant Fulham travel to Derby aiming to end their Pride Park hoodoo
It's been 16 years since the Whites last won at Derby. Fulham have the perfect opportunity to change that.

Pride Park has consistently proven an unhappy venue for Fulham in their stay in the Championship: three previous appearances have resulted in three losses for the Whites. Each previous matchup at the home of the Rams has resulted in a crucial match that would either set the tone for the season or mark a turning point; this weekend's match is no different.

In 2014, just four matches into Fulham's first second-flight season in a decade, the Cottagers were throttled 5-1: a dreary season would follow.

On Boxing Day 2015, Fulham fell to a limp 2-0 loss that left them just three points off the relegation zone. It had been more than a month since Kit Symons was sacked; leaderless, the season was careening out of control. Two days later, Slavisa Jokanovic was announced as manager, ushering in a new era at Craven Cottage.

In April 2017, a horror show of David Button mistakes gifted Derby a 4-2 victory, ruining Fulham's chance to take a place in the top six. Jokanovic realized a change needed to made, and in came Marcus Bettinelli, leading to Fulham's late run into the play-offs.

And this time around, Saturday's fixture between Derby and Fulham takes on more significance than ever before. For much of Fulham's spell in the Championship, the Whites have been playing catch-up to the Rams, with Derby challenging for promotion while Fulham battle for survival. Last year, both teams were in the top 9, but neither occupied the play-off places.

Yet this edition of the matchup pits 4th vs 5th in the Championship- a true heavyweight battle of two sides who possess the quality to achieve promotion. The spoils were shared in the November matchup, a 1-1 draw in SW6 where Oliver Norwood's smashed free kick was cancelled out early in the second half by the Rams.

For Derby, this is the worst possible time to face Fulham. The Whites are the most in-form in the division, boasting a 13-match unbeaten run with wins over the likes of Wolves, Aston Villa, Cardiff, and Middlesbrough.

Teenage sensation Ryan Sessegnon is going from strength from strength; fresh off crucial goals against Villa and Wolves, the 17-year-old bagged two accolades at the London Football Awards. Few have ever seen a player with such a natural ability for finishing, and at Sessegnon's tender age, the sky truly is the limit. His meteoric rise defies belief.

Coupled with the outstanding form of defensive rock Tim Ream, Bettinelli's knack for keeping clean sheets in big matches, and the return to form for the integral midfield three of Tom Cairney, Stefan Johansen, and Kevin McDonald, few would bet against Fulham to continue their remarkable run against Derby.

2018 has not been a kind year for the Rams, in stark contrast to Fulham's fortunes. Derby have won just two out of a possible seven in the new year, suffering a shock loss to lowly Sheffield Wednesday, as well as disappointing draws with Norwich and Reading.

Yet to underestimate the Rams would be a mistake. They are 4th for a reason, buoyed by Championship top-scorer Matej Vydra, who could return from injury on Saturday. The core of the squad oozes experience and class, featuring Scott Carson, Curtis Davies, Richard Keogh, Tom Huddlestone, and Joe Ledley. And of course, Fulham will have to win at Pride Park, a feat the Cottagers haven't managed in 16 years.

Jokanovic is expected to maintain the same starting XI that produced impressive 2-0 wins over both Villa and Wolves, and he recognizes the threat posed by Derby.

"We must be focused, concentrate and show ambition to win the game," Jokanovic told fulhamfc.com.

Fulham have shown their quality when faced with the biggest challenges this year. Saturday is yet another massive fixture in their push for promotion; a fascinating match between two strong sides awaits.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/3/2/17073380/rampant-fulham-travel-to-derby-aiming-to-end-their-pride-park-hoodoo

WhiteJC

'We respect Fulham and their form, but we are not fearful of the clash' says Gary Rowett

Derby County host Fulham at Pride Park Stadium this afternoon

Gary Rowett is full of praise for Fulham and the impressive run they are on, but the manager says Derby County are not fearful of today's clash.

Fulham are second behind Cardiff City in the Championship form table and they arrive at Pride Park Stadium armed with an unbeaten record of 12 league matches.

They have beaten leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers and Aston Villa in their last two home games, and they won at Cardiff in December.

But Derby are also on a consistent run.

They have suffered just one defeat in 15 although they have drawn six of their nine league games since the turn of the year including three of their last four at home.

Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic celebrates scoring his sides second goal against Wolverhampton Wanderers (Image: PA Wire/PA Images)

Rowett is focused on his team, and not Fulham, and how Derby can "hurt" the visitors.

"Fulham are in good form, but we are unbeaten in eight games at home and Fulham's away form has included quite a few draws," Rowett said.

"We are in no way fearful of the game.

"We are respectful because they (Fulham) are a very good side, they have got a really good manager and they play a very attractive style of football.

"But with that attractive style of football comes opportunities to attack them and put them under pressure which is exactly what we will try to do, as we try to do in every home game.

"They have conceded more goals than us and so we will focus on how we can hurt them.

"At home, most of the times we have tried to be on the front foot, most of the time we have tried to force the game.

"In lots of games we have passed the ball really well."

Derby are fourth in the Championship - one place and one point above Fulham.

The gap between the Rams and second-placed Cardiff City is seven points.

"I read some of the comments Slavisa (Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic) made in the week, and he is right, we are a point above Fulham," Rowett said.

"They are on a fantastic run, but what you do is gauge all of the points over all of the games, and you view that as how you are doing for the season.

"We don't win the League or get promoted on the run we had in October to December but at the same time we do not lose the League by having a little bit of a poor run now."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gary-rowett-derby-county-fulham-1290624

WhiteJC

Don't Miss The Rams' Clash With Fulham Today!

The matchday ticket prices have been confirmed for Derby County's top-six Sky Bet Championship meeting with Fulham at Pride Park Stadium this afternoon, kick-off: 3pm.

Ticket prices are increased on the day of a game, so pre-purchasing prior to matchdays is recommended.

Tickets are available for Derby County supporters from:

Adults - £26
Senior Citizens (aged 65+) – £19
Under-18s - £15.50
2 to 12 Year Olds - £9.50

* Category D & E prices are listed above.

A £1 per ticket booking fee applies when purchasing by either telephone or online.

For matchday ticket enquiries and purchases, please visit the Ticket Office at Pride Park Stadium or call 0871 472 1884 (option 1).

Alternatively, supporters can also buy tickets online right here on dcfc.co.uk.

* Calls cost 13p per minute, plus your phone company's access c

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/03/dont-miss-the-rams-clash-with-fulham-today

WhiteJC

Three Players to Watch: Matchday 35 vs. Derby County
What can Fulham do for an encore after their win against Wolves?

You could not have asked for a better performance against the best football club in the Championship. It is flat out surreal that Fulham could pull off such a 90-minute shift after looking to have no answers back in October and November. Now, they not only put a clinic on Wolverhampton Wanderers, but they have shown that when everything goes right, their squad is better and deeper than any in the Championship.

Now the way I'm waxing poetic makes it sounds like Fulham's job is complete. It is not. At the end of the day, they still sit fifth in the league table and fourth in the league in expected goals ratio. To put the cherry on top, Fulham hasn't exorcised every demon out there. For starts, Fulham always seems to have a hard time against structured defense-first clubs. To be specific, they struggle against Gary Rowett coached sides.

To go along with that, Fulham always seems to have a hard time against Derby County. Let's never forget that in the second fixture last season, a comedy of errors led to David Button losing his job as starting goalkeeper. Also, it hasn't been since 2001 that they have won at Pride Park. So yeah, Fulham can not treat this game like a cake walk.

Sure, Derby is having a rough time this calendar year by falling from an automatic spot towards promotion to fourth. And sure, they were probably the worse of the two sides in the 1-1 draw last Autumn. However, this could be a precursor to this May's playoffs. It is beyond critical for Fulham to, at minimum, not give Derby any positive thoughts going into the two-legged fixtures of torture.

With that in mind, here is who Fulham have to look out for beyond those that were observed in the reverse fixture.

Richard Keogh

First up, we have the second half of a center back partnership that has worked very well for Derby this season. While Curtis Davies is more of a no-nonsense defender, the 31-year old captain is a bit more of a ball-playing center back that prefers to have others (Tom Huddlestone in particular) to hoof it out of the final third. Don't mistake that as being a weak link on the side, however. As you will see on his radar, Keogh is also willing to put his body on the line by way of blocking shots and winning headers.

Coming into this season, Keogh has played over 235 times for Derby, which is a major part of his 512 appearances in professional football. Add in the fact that he has captained twice for Ireland and you see a man whose resume is stacked. All that is missing is being on the team sheet for a Premier League outing. If there's one player for Derby that would love that to happen to him, it will be quite difficult to find one more desperate.

Tom Lawrence

Up next is a former Manchester United product that is having a confounding season. At 23, there is no denying that Lawrence is a talent. However, he is still at a stage in his career where it's difficult to pinpoint where he is a reliable attacking player. In his first season with the Rams, Lawrence is only producing four goals and four assists for the club. This comes off the back of having nine goals and nine assists in his final loan move to Ipswich Town before signing a permanent contract with Derby County from Leicester City.

But if you really looked at Lawrence's 2016/17, you will notice that his goal conversion rate was at 15.7%. While that is solid for any attacking player in world football, Lawrence tends to be an all flash and no end product type of forward. That is why it should not surprise you to see that his career norms are what they are this season; in that, you see him only turning 5.7% of his shots into goals. He is a great dribbler and he fits the mold of a modern-day wide player, but if Lawrence were to establish himself more at the professional ranks, he has to find a way to take his scoring opportunities. Let's hope today is not one of those days.

Craig Forsyth
All data from whoscored.com

Lastly, I could go with our good old friend Chris Baird, who genuinely is having a career season at age 35. But instead, I'm going with his fullback partner that is returning from not one, but two, serious knee injuries. He clearly is someone whose data shows that he is coming back from two serious knee injuries. But when he is at his best, Forsyth is a wonderful passer of the ball, as well as being a defensive force down the flanks. However, his defensive work rate is almost 150% worse than what it has been in previous seasons.

Fortunately, Derby County is more than just Craig Forsyth in defensive situations. But if the club were to achieve all their goals, they will need a much healthier Forsyth to contribute on both ends of the pitch. It will be hard for him to overthrow Kiernan Tierney and Andrew Robertson on future Scotland Teams, but the 29-year is about as good as they come for his country when he is in his prime.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/3/3/17070408/three-players-to-watch-matchday-35-vs-derby-county

WhiteJC

'I don't want to watch tippy-tappy football where results are ground out'

Our Derby County columnist thoroughly enjoyed watching the recent FA Cup matches and recalls a thrilling win over Fulham in the 1950s

My friend Andy Heafield dropped me an email the other week, shortly after there had been some cracking FA Cup ties on television. However, Andy was in sombre mood.

"I'm not sure that you will agree," wrote Andy, "but frankly I'm bored of watching the dull fare of today's top-level football with its constant hype, statistics, lack of passion, tippy-tappy style, commented on by overbearing presenters and former players, all of whom totally ignore the existence of any football played prior to the formation of the Premier League.

"What a change it was to watch two matches over the past few days that had passion, commitment, physical challenges, wearing down and ball chasing in the opposition's half, actual tackling and results for the underdogs. I hate to use the cliché, but I will – that is the magic of the Cup."

Andy continued: "On Sky, earlier this week, there was a re-run of the Rams against Manchester United on Boxing Day 1970, a 4-4 draw at the Baseball Ground. Best, Law, Charlton, Kidd, McFarland, the mighty Mackay, Gemmill, Hector – all playing football with passion, commitment, a belief in their respective clubs and an extremely high level of skill, even though the Baseball Ground was its usual winter mix of mud, more mud and a sprinkling of snow."

I have some sympathy with Andy's view of today's game, especially about hype and television's apparent belief that there was no life before the Premier League. Even though Sky showed that 1970 classic between the Rams and United, generally speaking they seem to feel that nothing worthwhile happened before 1992.

Today the Rams entertain Fulham, at what seems a strange point in the season. We had a manager sacked for not playing "the Derby way". I've not yet met anyone who can absolutely define that, but, whatever it is, now we have Tom Huddlestone saying that the Rams need to "grind out" some results. It depends entirely on what you most desire for your money – entertainment or success. Preferably both, of course, but that is rarely possible. Yet if the game is an entertainment industry – and why else would anyone pay to watch it? – then the answer is obvious. We each have our view, though. Mine is that, like Andy Heafield, I don't want to watch football where results are 'ground out'. But I understand those who don't mind an afternoon of tedium so long as there are three points at the end of it. I suppose a 3-3 draw at Reading was entertaining, but ...

This column never strays far off memory lane, so with Fulham in mind, forgive me if I make a stop at the 1950-51 season when the Rams finished only 11 in the top flight, but on the way produced some attacking football that might be what we are thinking about when we hear mention of the Derby way.

They scored four goals each in matches against Arsenal, Aston Villa, Blackpool, Sheffield Wednesday; five against Fulham and Charlton; and six against Middlesbrough and Sunderland (who scored five in reply on a December skating rink at the Baseball Ground). Jack Lee led the scorers with 28 goals. Jack Stamps netted 20. Both were on the mark – Lee with a hat-trick, Stamps with two goals – when the Rams won 5-3 at Craven Cottage.

They also both scored when the Cottagers had visited the Baseball Ground that September, when the Rams' season can perhaps be summed up by Ross Jenkinson's opening paragraph in his Derby Telegraph match report: "Unselfishness is an admirable trait in football as in anything else. It makes for good teamwork and success. But when it becomes a fetish then there can be a danger. This must surely be the lesson the Rams learned from their 3-2 victory over Fulham. By playing brilliant, open football – as good as any they can ever have played – they obtained a lead of three goals. Then the forwards, instead of getting on with the main job, became too clever and tried to make goals for colleagues. In the end they had a fright."

So there you go. Maybe grinding it out should be the new Derby way after all?

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-fulham-fa-cup-1270443

WhiteJC

'Biggest game of the season so far' - What Derby County fans are saying ahead of Fulham clash

The Rams will be looking to get off to a winning start in March against one of their promotion rivals

Derby County are gearing up to face promotion rivals Fulham in today's match in the Sky Bet Championship.

The Rams go into the game on the back of a 3-3 draw with Reading last weekend, and currently lie in fourth place in the league table.

Today's opponents are one point behind Derby in fifth place, and would go above Derby should they get the three points at Pride Park Stadium.

Derby fans have taken to social media to express their thoughts and emotions on today's match, here are some of them:

@eddominiczak: "Today's game will make or break our season COYR".

@ACTaylor96: "So after a disappointing 2/9 points from three very out of form teams, we meet Fulham who are absolutely flying. Going to need all 11 of our men fully switched on today".

@LondonRam: "Come on you Rams".

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-fans-fulham-1292290