watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ojo

Started by irishfulham, March 06, 2018, 11:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

1. How many times did he skin his man? (Zero to my recollection) Short memory, watch the first half again, he maybe got past his man 3 times over in the riverside putney corner

2. How many useful crosses did he put in? (Zero to my recollection, or not many) 3 crosses in total, 1 reaching his man

3. Of the total number of times a fulham player lost possession before Ojo went off, what proportion of the time was it Ojo? (I'm guessing about 50%)  We had an 89% pass rate before he went off and a 93% pass rate when he went off. Would you agree we were just walking at times in last 30 minutes? Ojo lost possession 3 times out of the 28 times in total we lost it. Fredericks and Mirovic lost it 5 times each.

4. MOST IMPORTANTLY- who in the starting XI would you say was our weakest player last night if it wasn't Ojo? We have Ojo, Ayite, Kebano, Piazon and maybe Fonte and Kamara who for various reasons are that 11th man. I'm not sold 100% on any of them if truth be told. I could argue for and against all of them.
Just the views of a long term fan

alfie

I get the distinct impression that Mr Statto does not like Ojo, for every 2 positive  things to say about him Mr S will find 3 negatives. What I don't understand is after a performance like that why is it necessary to dig out one player and put him down, strikes me as a bit vindictive towards him.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

filham

That wide right positon is up for grabs , the candidates are Ojo, Piazon Kebano and Ayite. Fonte and Kamara can also be used there.

Difficult to say who is best, I suspect it is the one position where we may see "rotation" and that Jocanovic may decide on his preferred player in time for the play offs.

Chutney

He's certainly not better than Piazon/Ayite/Kebano, so not sure why he's starting.

That said, if we keep winning games who am I to question any of our managers decisions?!

C O Y W

Dodger53

Well said Statto - If there is one thing I dont like about this forum it is the horrible way some object to anothers views, often with the "were you actually there" comment. If TC or Sess has a bad game and someone posts about how great they were I assume they dont mind if I disagree so this OP was about Ojo and I thought it was OK to say what I thought without abuse. I take on board that others thought he was good. Last year I thought Tim Ream was alful but this year he is close to MoM every game.

Twig

Quote from: Statto on March 07, 2018, 09:44:12 AM
Quote from: Twig on March 07, 2018, 08:34:13 AM
If Statto asks who was the weakest on the pitch I would have to say Sess, he produced very little last night. Ojo's defensive work was excellent as Count Flapula notes, some of his tackling back was ferocious. I saw him put in a couple of fast crosses and in terms of beating his man I would say he tries to do that too often. He's clearly not the finished article and you have to wonder what the Liverpool academy have been playing at because those of our youngsters whith that sort of talent look far more mature at the same age. However I agree with those who say he is only going to get better and better.

But Sessegnon is the hottest property in world football and our top scorer so gets special attention inhibiting him

Sorry Statto but you last two responses are clutching at straws.

Twig

Quote from: filham on March 07, 2018, 11:05:23 AM
That wide right positon is up for grabs , the candidates are Ojo, Piazon Kebano and Ayite. Fonte and Kamara can also be used there.

Difficult to say who is best, I suspect it is the one position where we may see "rotation" and that Jocanovic may decide on his preferred player in time for the play offs.

Yes I agree. For me Ayite or Kebano but last night I didn't think Ojo was a weak link. Interestingly there are some on the Sheffield site praising his efforts.

MJG

Quote from: Twig on March 07, 2018, 01:10:32 PM
Quote from: filham on March 07, 2018, 11:05:23 AM

Yes I agree. For me Ayite or Kebano but last night I didn't think Ojo was a weak link. Interestingly there are some on the Sheffield site praising his efforts.
Wonder if thats because he was right in front of them for the first half and could see the problems he was causing more clearly?

Mullers OG

It's a bit much criticising anyone after a fantastic team performance last night; but if I had to pick out those who I thought weren't at their best I would have to mention Sess and Ojo.  Sess is in amazing form and is clearly destined for great things, but last night wasn't his best night.  Even the very best are entitled to the odd off day and his presence alone on the pitch causes panic in the opposing side. 

I would have to agree with Statto.  I thought Ojo wasn't up to the level of Ayite.  He stayed wide too long and blocked off Fred's runs.  Fred couldn't get forward for much of the first half until the first goal.  Ojo is young and will only get better but at present there are, to my mind, better right hand side players (Ayite, Kebano and Piazon).  Having said that the manager has to rotate players around to avoid tiredness and last night we were excellent.

otter muppet

I was sat right in front of ojo on the Riverside during the first half. He wasn't bad, but honestly he was worse than most of our other 11.

Seemed to run out of ideas in the 1-1 and kept missing a screaming Fred on the overlap. Our first goal came when ojo moved in and Fred went down the side and put it in the box.

Like I said he wasn't bad, but other players were better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Snibbo

Ojo was good especially considering his lack of game time. Slav is clearly trying to rotate the squad. It's tough for whomever is coming in to get straight onto the regular team wavelength. He managed it well in my view. Slav clearly rates him and he's proving to be a pretty good judge

[email protected]

Is he a Jack Grealish wannabe playing with his socks half way down his shin?

I couldn't make it last night so will pass judgement on his performance. I always felt he could excite & frustrate in equal measures, but I fully expect Ayite to be restored for Saturday.

bill taylors apprentice

I think any criticism should be weighed against the excellent team performance and Ojo played his part!
Being harsh, he was probably the least effective player in a white shirt last night but that's a moot point considering the overall performance.

He had his best game in the away fixture and tactically they did a good job on him last night but playing a wide player further up the pitch stretched the opposition and allowed space for others to work in.

Sometimes a player does a good job without being spectacular!

Snibbo

Quote from: Dodger53 on March 07, 2018, 11:40:01 AM
Well said Statto - If there is one thing I dont like about this forum it is the horrible way some object to anothers views

And in the case of the OP, the words "pot" and "kettle" come to mind

alfie

Quote from: Statto on March 07, 2018, 11:03:22 AM
Quote from: alfie on March 07, 2018, 09:47:29 AM
I get the distinct impression that Mr Statto does not like Ojo, for every 2 positive  things to say about him Mr S will find 3 negatives. What I don't understand is after a performance like that why is it necessary to dig out one player and put him down, strikes me as a bit vindictive towards him.

Ironically I think it's quite "vindictive" to call someone "vindictive" just because they don't agree with your view on a particular aspect of a football match.

FYI I like Ojo, think he is a good character. I follow him on social media and often like his posts purely because he seems like a nice person. He is a good lad, English, Christian, and the abuse he got when he was injured from some of our "fans" online was disgusting.

But being a nice person and potentially good in the future doesn't change the simple fact that Last night imo he was substantially poorer than anyone else in our team, with the possible exception of Piazon, who I also thought was poor. Ironically Piazon is one of my favourite players, but again, I will always give an honest opinion of individual  performances on here.

Please don't make silly personal comments just because I disagree with you
Ok apologies for the word "vindictive ", I  did not make any comment about his performance so not quite sure what you are disagreeing with, the question I asked is why did you feel it necessary to single Ojo out like that, he was / is part of a successful team, some always seem to want to dig out  players. A nice well done lads would have been nice.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Matt10

I'm glad he used his right foot a lot more than I thought he would. Often times we would have a break on the right side, and he would slow up play just to cut into his left foot. Mitro's runs into the box were out of sequence as a result, and that was the biggest difference to me. Ojo played with composure though, but as someone said, the RW is completely up for grabs among 6 players. That's an incredible problem to have. I personally prefer Ayite there because he is right footed and has created chances, and finished his chances. Problem with him is his health and sometimes an absent-minded decisions here and there. Piazon is next for me, because he's just so solid in decision making. Sometimes he hasn't got his feet yet, but he definitely makes a difference.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Statto on March 06, 2018, 11:55:06 PM
Really?

He was the only player in the starting XI that I'd criticise.

Thought he did nothing, looked out of ideas (did he skin anyone all night?) and overal out of place in a team playing as well as we have been lately

He needs to improve dramatically if he's ever to play for Liverpool or England, like some were saying he had the potential to.

I agree with you he is a good character and that might be what enables him to progress

Re watch the "two minutes of magic". He skins their left back with childlike ease.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

colinwhite

I thought Ojo was ok and he gives us a directness and pace but for me the problem was a tactical one ,and i am sure thats why he got taken off.
He wanted to stay out wide ,with chalk on his feet which blocked the space for Fredricks who got played in once by Cairney in the whole of the first half (leading to our  goal ). Time and again Ojo blocked out the space for our most lethal wide player ,Ryan Fredricks.
Ayete and Piazon both come in off the line on the right allowing Fredricks the space to run into,O Jo did not .

MJG

Quote from: colinwhite on March 07, 2018, 06:32:03 PM
I thought Ojo was ok and he gives us a directness and pace but for me the problem was a tactical one ,and i am sure thats why he got taken off.
He wanted to stay out wide ,with chalk on his feet whcih blocked the space for Fredricks who got played in once by Cairney in the whole of the first half (leading to our  goal ). Time and again Ojo blocked out the space for our most lestal wide player ,Ryan Fredricks.
Ayete and Piazon both come in off the line on the right allowing Fredricks the space to run into,O Jo did not .
couple of people mentioned how wide he was, well so was Sess in front of me first half. At time I thought it was tactics by Slav given that Utd play with wingback and we stretched the pitch to its full width. Illustrated by the two minutes video given how wide the ball goes on the left and then right to Fred with Ojo well to his right on wing.
Not everything is down to the player wanting to do things.

colinwhite

Dont buy that really that.Ojo looked like he wanted to stamp his mark and keep  his place in the team so we cant blame him fo that ,but you could see by Fredricks body language and where he ended up that he didnt know what to do with Ojo licking the line.On the other side target rarely looks to get beyond Sessegnon, and they work really well together.
The flow of our play did get slowed down a bit by Ojo ,but he hast played for a while and not with quite a few of this players so I dont want to be too harsh on him.