more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ojo

Started by irishfulham, March 06, 2018, 11:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenhodgso

Quote from: FFC73 on March 07, 2018, 07:13:28 AM
I'm with Statto on this.  Thought Ojo was the weak point in the first half. He was continually static & in the space we use to exploit Fred's pace

The one time Ojo moved to the inside right position Cairney was able to find Fred, cross & 1-0

The right attacking berth is the one position that is up for grabs. Piazon & Ayite enhance the free movement & link up play, create space for the Fred overlap. Ojo & Kebano, who we have not seen for some time, tend to hug the right touch line more

If all the loanees are fit which 5 would you have in the match day squad?

Mitro, Targett, Kalas, Norwood & Piazon for me

:plus one:  Whilst I do not think he played badly, I did notice that he continually took the space on the right that Fred loves to run into and build up speed.

I also saw that this changed when Ojo moved more to the inside in the second half - which I guess was an instruction at half-time - and yes we broke through much more often after that.

Not a criticism of the player, more the tactics - I did think that Ojo showed real power last evening and will be very important for us in games to come as he regains something close to full match fitness

colinwhite

A good Point about both wide players starting position for us ,but when we had possession on the right with ojo interchanging passes with others  he always took the wide option when he could have opened it up for Ryan .

Twig

Quote from: Statto on March 07, 2018, 07:17:27 PM
It seems from current vote totals in the MOTM thread that the democratic view of 300 odd users of this forum is Ojo was the worst player in the starting XI. I can only assume the OP is yet to vote... 

(Does that mean he was awful, considering how well the others played? No of course not)

Mitrovic 239
Cairney 24
Bettinelli 9
Odoi 7
Johansen 7
McDonald 6
Ream 5
Targget 3
Fredericks 2
Sessegnon 1
Ojo 0

That doesn't really work, as we all know a lot of supporters who can't get to the game make a semi-random vote just to see the results.

Green Machine

Warnock spoke earlier in the season that Liverpool would charge a hefty fine to Cardiff if they don't start one of their loan players for x amount of games.  I imagine it is a similar scenario with Ojo which suggests why he seems to start so much when he's fit.

snarks

With the best will in the world no one would say Ojo was MOM, but he wasn't the worst player on Tuesday from my view. Yes he did take positions that seemed to stop Fred going down the outside, but who knows if that was tactics. He certainly gave their defence a hard time and sheff Utd fans thought he was decent too. Anyway we all see what we want to.

MrFFC

Thought Ojo had a good game but he doesn't link up with Fredericks like Ayite does & it's vital to us that we get Fredericks involved
Come on you Whites!! :)

Southcoastffc

I take issue with the words being used here. It's, in my view, inappropriate to say that Ojo was 'the worst' player. That implies that he was the most bad of a bad group. I saw no bad Fulham players on Tuesday.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

RaySmith

It seems nitpicking and churlish  to me to analyse so critically one player's performance when the overall performance, and importantly, the result, was so good.

The TEAM, of which Ojo was a part, must have been doing something right.

Luka

Ojo had a solid game but he is in my opinion, a luxury player.
Not one you'd want to have next to you in the trenches but good to be able to call on for back up or if your winning a battle and want to press on.

MJG

Quote from: Luka on March 08, 2018, 09:03:49 AM
Ojo had a solid game but he is in my opinion, a luxury player.
Not one you'd want to have next to you in the trenches but good to be able to call on for back up or if your winning a battle and want to press on.
Yet probably made one of the best sliding tackles of the game on a player in the second half.
Just the views of a long term fan

Southcoastffc

Quote from: RaySmith on March 08, 2018, 08:54:35 AM
It seems nitpicking and churlish  to me to analyse so critically one player's performance when the overall performance, and importantly, the result, was so good.

The TEAM, of which Ojo was a part, must have been doing something right.
:plus one:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

I cannot understand why anyone would want to look to criticise a player when the team have just completed a 3 0 route of a promotion rival, and thereby extending our unbeaten run.
Yes of course we have all seen a player in a winning team have a poorer game than others, and some have even looked like a bit of a passenger.
But unlike some players in the past, Ojo has natural talent, technique, has pace and we have seen him play well.
If I have to find criticism of him, then he can hold on to the ball longer than he should, and sometimes his decision making is floored. There even maybe one or two other faults for all I know. But he contributed to a winning team the other night, and he has potential, and we are going to need his services in the coming weeks amongst others to give us the best chance of promotion.
He has quality all the same, and maybe Jok has and will knock any poor attitude out of him before the season is out.
But I see no reason to give him a hard time.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

Nothing wrong with being critical of a player and I know I have defended him against some of Statto's comments. But thats because in my view when someone is critical they need to support that view in the right way instead of just saying he was rubbish, or he never beat anyone, he did nothing. When clearly a player has done something.

I'm as guilty as everyone else is in never seeing the good a player does if I already have a negative view of them Likewise a player you rate is always doing well or if he isn't its other reasons why.  You just need to try and be objective, which is hard. I never rated Senderos for example. Always thought he had a flawed defensive technique which he made up for at time by being a bullheaded CB who went in where it hurt, and fans like that. But he couldn't in my view mark in the right way.

Out of the current squad I'm struggling to think of a player I dislike. I certainly think some are overrated (Ayite is one for me) but thats not to say I dont see merit in them starting and playing.

With Ojo I think peoples views are maybe clouded by the unsubstantiated view that he has to play (You cant have that rule in a contract that a player HAS to play). Do you really think that Slav would start a player he didn't like? We have seen how he treats players like that. Also I know the coaches like and rate Ojo. As someone says maybe he is a luxury player, but when he has performed well what a good luxury he is.

Just the views of a long term fan

Woolly Mammoth

Yes I agree about nothing being wrong with constructive criticism even in light of an impressive victory, and of course I can understand Ojo being labelled a bit of a luxury player, and I also agree that he shouldn't be selected because of a loan agreement.
He must have been picked on merit on this occasion as there were other alternatives for Jok, so he obviously must see potential in him, and Jok and his coaching staff feel they can make him a better player which would be in Fulham's interest in the coming weeks.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

colinwhite

Agree with MJG. I also think its all about the balance of the team,and also to an extent who the oppsition is.
The thing that worries me about Ojos comeback is that he hasnt been looking to find to Mitrovic or play the ball into the box.What we now need from the other two ( dont like the term wingers it doesnt describe how Jokanovic wants these players to play ) in the front three is probably different since the big serb came in the door.
It will be interesting to see if he can adjust his game to life with a main striker which we havent had on his previous outings for the team.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Green Machine on March 08, 2018, 12:01:13 AM
Warnock spoke earlier in the season that Liverpool would charge a hefty fine to Cardiff if they don't start one of their loan players for x amount of games.  I imagine it is a similar scenario with Ojo which suggests why he seems to start so much when he's fit.

I wonder about this too. Nothing wrong with Ojo, just not sure why he is often favored to Kebano or Piazon when they are all fit. Have thought maybe it has to do with his loan contract somehow.

Milo

I've been critical of Ojo in the past because he always appears lethargic to me.. slowing moves down and just generally gives a non-threatening impression.

That said he also oozes confidence and skill that's so impressive for a 20 year old.

I really just think he needs more coaching to speed up the directness of his play and he will be a really good player in the future. I think that's how I will judge him at the end of the season.. if he plays more direct and at a faster pace hence (quite literally) going in the right direction.

Interesting to note Sheff Utd forums there were quite a few who were (quite) "happy to see the back of him".

Twig

Let's clear one thing up; if SJ picks any player it will be because he wants him to play. Not because of loan contracts (which do not mandate that a loanee must be selected) and, when Kline was around, not because someone else in the club wants to influence selection. SJ is his own man and Ojo played because SJ favoured him on the night, simple.

I think a lot of the responses are pretty balanced and I'm in the camp of not singling out a player as "worst" after a 3-0 win.  I think some of us are a bit sensitive to criticism of Ojo because of the vitriol aimed at him by one or two numpties when he was badly injured earlier in the season. That was a rather distasteful incident.

Facts Not Fiction

Thought he was the weakest of the XI.

Apart from his own frailties, I think Fredericks isn't helped with Ojo in front of him. Ojo has the footballing brain of David Button, which is a shame, because he has all the physical qualities you want in a winger.

irishfulham

I started the thread because everyone was surprised/critical to see ojo in the starting line up but after watching the game (yes I was there) I thought he had a great game and warranted his place which is why I made the "weird" thread