https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (06/03/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 06, 2018, 07:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jokanovic urges Fulham to 'show ambition'
by Dan on March 6, 2018

Slavisa Jokanovic has told his Fulham side to 'show ambition' when they take on Sheffield United in another crunch Championship clash this evening – but has warned the Whites they can't afford to repeat the defensive mistakes they made at Bramall Lane.

The Serbian head coach watched his side cling on to three points in November after an end-to-end nine-goal thriller after Chris Wilder's nearly completed the most incredible of late comebacks and Jokanovic doesn't want a repeat of that at Craven Cottage tonight. The Fulham boss told the club's official website that he is wary of the Blades' potency in attack:

They are an offensive team, like us, they have important offensive players. They try and play in the last third, they score goals. They have [Leon] Clarke with 15 goals, [Billy] Sharp with 12, and [Clayton] Donaldson with five goals. They are always looking to dominate the game.

We played a little bit of a strange game against them which we won after conceding four goals. We cannot expect something similar, but I am sure they are going to try and do us damage.

Jokanovic knows that Wilder's men will pose a serious threat to Fulham's fine run at the start of 2018 – with United aiming to make the Championship play-offs having been promoted from League One last season.

They have a serious option of playing in the play-offs. They spent half the season in the top-two and they only recently dropped out of the play-off positions. It's a strong, tough, and really complicated team to play against. They are going to look to score the goals, so we must follow our style and show ambition, show desire to do them damage.

The Fulham head coach is staying true to his mantra of taking each game as it comes – refusing to consider the wider promotion picture – even if the pundits are now beginning to talk up the possibility of his side making a late charge for the second automatic promotion spot.

Each game, that's the focus. I'm not looking at where we're going to finish. Now all we're thinking about is the Sheffield United game. After this result our only target is the Preston game, and that's it,.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/03/jokanovic-urges-fulham-to-show-ambition/

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic believes 'better January Transfer Window' will help Fulham achieve goals

Three new faces were added and the head coach believes the quality will help Fulham achieve their targets

Slavisa Jokanovic believes Fulham did a better job in this January transfer window than in the previous one, and that has helped the side push on in the chase for promotion.

Last season, only Thanos Petsos and Gohi Cyriac were brought into the side, with neither really having an impact on the side as they pushed into the Play-off places.

This season, however, has been a different story, with Matt Targett, Cyrus Christie and Aleksandar Mitrovic all signing in January, adding quality and depth to Jokanovic's side.

Despite admitting that he always wants more and that's the life of a manager, Jokanovic is happy with the way January went and believes the quality added will make a big difference to the final 11 games.

He said: "It's not question about comparing the teams, I believe we made three important signings and these people, we compare with last winter transfer window, it's a big difference in my opinion.

"At the end, these people start to compete with us and show the quality where they can be really important players for us in these last part of the Championship.

"This is evident, it's clear, we made a better job now than we did in the past and at the end we will push hard to try find the benefits, from this positive step that the club made in winter transfer window.

"I am always unhappy and I always need more and more and more, and this is part of the head coach or manager job.

"I don't have any intention to change so much."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-believes-better-january-14374016

WhiteJC

Aston Villa fans fearful of Fulham as promotion race hots up

Fulham are the form side in the Championship right now and are just one point behind Steve Bruce's Aston Villa in the play-off places.

Fulham took a while to get going this season but you would be a brave man to bet against Slavisa Jokanovic's free-flowing, thrilling side finishing outside the top three right now.

The Cottagers were the Championship's most exciting side last season and, since the turn of the year, they have rediscovered that electric attacking form.

No team in the second tier has picked up as many points as Fulham's 14 in the last six games, which include victories over play-off rivals Derby County and Aston Villa as well as a deserved 2-0 win against league leaders Wolves.

Having seen Fulham up close and personal, Villa supporters appear to be worried about one team heading into the business end of the season.

Steve Bruce's side are in good nick themselves right now and have won three of their last five games, but the manner in which they were swept aside at Craven Cottage appears to have supporters nervously looking over their shoulder at the team just a point behind them in fourth as things stand.

Fulham boast the best young talent in English football right now in Ryan Sessegnon while Tom Cairney, Stefan Johansen and the red-hot Aleksandar Mitrovic are capable of changing a game in an instant.

So Villa fans are more desperate than ever to tie up that second automatic promotion spot, because Fulham in the play-offs is something they would rather avoid.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/03/06/do-aston-villa-fans-fearful-of-fulham-as-championship-promotion/

WhiteJC

Fulham`s Bettinelli Hopeful of an Automatic Promotion Place

This time last season, Fulham were on the charge.

A run of rich form saw the Cottagers reach the Championship play-offs.

Fulham`s form was such that they were predicted to be the side that reaches the Premier League by the most dramatic of circumstances, winning the play-off final.

Sadly, it all went pear-shaped and Fulham never even reached the play-off final, losing in the two-legged semi-final.

This season, Fulham are on a similar charge.

As we prepare to welcome Sheffield United to Craven Cottage this evening, the side have put together a thirteen game unbeaten run.

After reaching the play-off places there is talk of the side capitalizing on this hot-streak of form by grabbing one of the two automatic promotion places on offer.

It is a tall-ask with Fulham five-points behind second-placed Cardiff City whilst also having played a game more.

Marcus Bettinelli, who has re-established himself as Fulham`s first-choice goalkeeper, has spoken to the local media about Fulham`s chances of snatching that second-place, remarking,

"We know it is going to be tough but that is the way we are thinking.

'If no-one wants to give us a chance this year to get second, that's fine.'

But, having shown they can mix it with the big-boys during their thirteen-game unbeaten run, Bettinelli remains confident the mission can be achieved, further remarking to the local media,

'I know it is really tight up there but the boys are full of confidence.

'We are excited with the way we are playing and we go into games knowing that if we play our football we will be frightening and score goals.

'We are not going to be silly as we have a lot of teams chasing us as well. We know we are in a good place but it doesn't mean anything.'

It doesn`t, but there is an air of confidence about the club at the moment and if we can continue to keep the unbeaten run going, don`t bet against Fulham finishing behind Wolverhampton Wanderers and taking that second automatic promotion place.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=523572#ixzz58yfhFq6b

WhiteJC

Bobby Zamora backs Fulham to gain promotion - but via the Play-offs and not automatically

The former Cottager thinks second place is a step too far for Fulham this side but is backing them for promotion

Bobby Zamora believes Fulham have the right sort of team to get promoted to the Premier League via the Play-offs this season.

The 37-year-old made 91 league appearances for the Cottagers between 2008 and 2012, scoring 20 league goals during his time at Craven Cottage before moving onto QPR.

Zamora knows exactly what is needed to win the play-offs having scored the goal that sent the Rs up at Wembley in 2014.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side are currently hunting down second spot in the league and are on a 13-game unbeaten run, beating the likes of Aston Villa, Wolves and Derby County in the process.

However, Zamora thinks second is step too far but backs his former side to go all the way in the end of season lottery.

He said: "They played very good last year and this year I thought they started a little bit slow and went through a tricky spell but have certainly come good now.

(Image: Julian Finney/Getty Images)

"They're certainly gunning for the play-offs, I'm not sure if they'll make get automatic, but for the play-offs they're the right sort of team that can go and win them, I really do.

"I think they're dynamic, and organised so I'm sure they'll be tough opposition if they get into the play-offs."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bobby-zamora-backs-fulham-gain-14374177

WhiteJC

Sky Sports pundit backing Fulham to topple Sheffield United at the Cottage

The former Sheffield Wednesday man is backing Fulham to continue their run of form tonight

Sky Sports pundit David Prutton is backing Fulham to beat yet another promotion rival, this time in the form of Sheffield United.

The Whites are currently 13 games unbeaten run, which has included wins over the likes of Aston Villa, Wolves and Derby County and seen the side leapfrog the Rams into fourth place.

Sheffield United have slipped down the table a little bit in recent weeks and find themselves in eight place, two points behind Bristol City who occupy that final spot.

It's going to be a tough task for the Cottagers, but Prutton is backing them to continue their fine run of form.

In his column, Prutton said: "Fulham are flying, even more so at home.

"On their run of form, they aren't necessarily gatecrashing the playoffs, but to get themselves into the playoffs after a gradual rise has been superb.

"They had a good win against Derby on Saturday, with Mitrovic and Sessegnon at the fore once again so that's why I fancy them in this fixture.

"Prutton predicts: 2-1"

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sky-sports-pundit-backing-fulham-14374284

WhiteJC

Stefan Johansen: New steel gives Fulham a vital edge in Premier League promotion race

On a high: Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon congratulates Stefan Johansen after a cheeky backheel (above) set up his goal against Derby CameraSport via Getty Images

Fulham have moved into contention for automatic promotion with a swagger — and Stefan Johansen feels they are ready to go up to the top flight because they have added steel to their free-flowing football.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side are five points off the top two after an unbeaten run of 13 matches that has raised their prospects of a return to the Premier League.

Fulham are exuding confidence and that belief was highlighted by an audacious backheel from Johansen which set up a goal for Ryan Sessegnon in Saturday's 2-1 win at Derby.

Sheffield United visit Craven Cottage tonight and Fulham know a win will keep pressure on Cardiff and Aston Villa in the fight for the second automatic promotion spot behind Wolves.

Fulham missed out on promotion in the play-offs last season but midfielder Johansen believes they are in a better position to go up this season.

"I think we were a bit naive last season," he said. "We always wanted to play nice football but there is more of a winning mentality this year. We can see games out, like against Derby when there was pressure on us at the end. Sometimes last season we could not do that. It's a big difference.

"We have grown as a team and have more experience this year. The confidence was there last year but we did not get the results early enough.  Fulham are in the middle of a run of six games in three weeks against their promotion rivals.

Wins against Villa, Wolves and Derby, plus a draw at Bristol City, have moved them up to fourth, having played a game more than Cardiff and Villa.

Johansen said: "We want to get to the Premier League and direct promotion is what we want to push for.

"When you start a run you just get into a momentum where it flows better for you. The pressure is on the teams in front of us and the two in the direct promotion places."

Johansen believes his role in Sessegnon's goal at Derby  showed the belief in the team.

"Confidence is obviously high right now," Johansen said. "And that shows on the pitch."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/stefan-johansen-new-steel-gives-fulham-a-vital-edge-in-premier-league-promotion-race-a3783031.html

WhiteJC

Matchday Live: Sheffield United

Overseas fans can enjoy a live stream of Tuesday's Sky Bet Championship encounter against Sheffield United at Craven Cottage.

If you are already a fulhamfctv subscriber you can pick up a match pass for just £5, while non-subscribers can access the stream for £10, and also enjoy video content on the official website for 48 hours from the point of purchase!

Please note that you must be abroad and be using an overseas bank account to access the stream.

The stream will kick in around 30 minutes prior to kick-off, with a number of links to the correct page across the website. Alternatively, head to www.fulhamfc.com/live to view the game. We recommend watching via Google Chrome.

For our supporters based in the UK and Ireland, you can listen to full live commentary from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid, with a monthly subscription. 

Any fans who experience problems on a matchday with your stream please contact > [email protected].

Fans who have experienced issues accessing the stream in the past are advised to have a look at our streaming tips page which we constructed following feedback from supporters, while our FAQs are available here.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/march/06/matchday-live-sheffield-united

WhiteJC

Rafa Benitez shares fascinating insight behind his decision to let Aleksandar Mitrovic join Fulham

With Aleksandar Mitrovic now banging the goals in for Fulham, it has now emerged what Rafa Benitez has had to say about the striker during a live event at the Tyneside Cinema last month – with him opening up about his decision to loan him out on deadline day.

The Chronicle's Mark Douglas has transcribed Rafa Benitez's response when asked about the Serbian during an event for The Times in February, explaining his thinking behind letting the Serbian go despite our desperate lack of goal threat.

His comments are believed to have drawn applause from the crowd. Here's what he said:

"Mitro – I have had a lot of conversations with him. He needed to play and I couldn't guarantee he would play.
    "Some people say 'Oh Rafa is stubborn and he doesn't want to recognise he made a mistake'. No, it's not like this. Because if it was like this I wouldn't play Mitro at all. But I was playing him, sometimes for 20 minutes. Why? Because I wanted him to score the winning goal.
    "People forget one thing: the players who play or are on the bench or on the stands but the manager is involved in every single game and I want to win every single game. For me, it's about picking the right team to ensure we can win.
    "Mitro needed to play. I couldn't guarantee the way that we wanted to play (he would play). If you know Mitro really well – if you attack and you create a lot of chances and crosses he will score goals, no doubt that. But a team that has 40-45 or even 35% possession in some games, you have to defend in some games, you have to play counter-attack. If you don't have all these players who can do that and you have to sacrifice something.
    "We were talking about the main thing of this team – it is the team, the organisation of the team. If we don't do that, we will be exposed. When we went 1-0 up against Man United (in the Old Trafford game) or Chelsea, we were a little bit open and we conceded.
    "In the FA Cup against Chelsea we had to attack in the second half so we were open and we conceded. We couldn't manage it. The team is the key and the characteristic of the players are crucial. For me, I have to do the best for both."

There's quite a clear and revealing message from Benitez here. He clearly felt that our style of play (based on the players at his disposal) would not play to Mitrovic's strengths, therefore he had to pick a team and players suited to our system.

He admits that he has 'no doubt' Mitrovic would score goals if we created more chances and put regular balls into the box, but suggests that a team with 40% possession who're forced to defend a lot does not suit the Serbian's style of play.

http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2018/03/06/rafa-benitez-shares-fascinating-insight-behind-his-decision-to-let-aleksandar-mitrovic-join-fulham/

WhiteJC

Jokanović identifies Fulham transfer plan, up to €60m, dependent on promotion from Championship

When Fulham sent an official to watch Benfica's league match against Marítimo last Saturday, the local press didn't really know who the emissaries from London were keeping an eye on. But in a clarifying story today, Record brings the reason behind the scouting.

According to the outlet, the Championship side are interested in Serbian winger Andrija Zivkovic, who coincidentally had a great match on Saturday, scoring a goal.

Record claims that Zivkovic is 'well rated' by Fulham's scouting department, and the club now think of making an attempt for the Benfica player in case they succeed in getting Premier League promotion this season.

Manager Slaviša Jokanović is the one who indicated the player, and that's the reason why the club has been sending their scout from Portugal and Spain to watch Benfica so many times this season.

Fulham reportedly believe that besides the manager's influence, the club's good relationship with Benfica would help the transfer. The London side were recently involved in two deals with the Eagles: when buying Rui Fonte last year and when selling Konstantinos Mitroglou back in 2015.

But Record doesn't mention how much Benfica would demand for the player. It's worth recalling that his release clause currently stands at €60m, a price which would certainly have to be decreased for Fulham to get him.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/jokanovic-identifies-fulham-transfer-plan-e60m-dependent-promotion-championship/

WhiteJC

Stefan Johansen: 'Fulham have matured this season'

Midfielder Stefan Johansen has claimed that Fulham have learned how to "see games out" as they target promotion from the Championship.

Last season, the Cottagers missed out in the playoffs but despite a slow start to the current campaign, Slavisa Jokanovic's team have moved into contention for the top two after putting together a 13-match unbeaten streak.

Johansen has suggested that Fulham were "naive" at times last season, but the Norwegian has said that the West Londoners have now developed a "winning mentality".

The 27-year-old is quoted by the London Evening Standard as saying: "I think we were a bit naive last season. We always wanted to play nice football but there is more of a winning mentality this year.

"We can see games out, like against Derby when there was pressure on us at the end. Sometimes last season we could not do that. It's a big difference.

"We have grown as a team and have more experience this year. The confidence was there last year but we did not get the results early enough."

Fulham host Sheffield United at Craven Cottage on Tuesday night.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/johansen-fulham-have-matured-this-season_320238.html