Thursday Fulham Stuff (08/03/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 08, 2018, 07:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobby01

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 08, 2018, 07:58:41 AM
Quote from: WhiteJC on March 08, 2018, 07:51:49 AM

Ryan Sessegnon 'wants to move to Liverpool' - on one condition

Liverpool were interested in a move for Sessegnon last summer

Fulham wonderkid Ryan Sessegnon wants to move to Liverpool, it has been claimed, providing the London side are not promoted to the Premier League this season.

The Reds were keen on the 17-year-old last summer, and was identified by Jurgen Klopp and his recruitment team as a possible long-term left back at Anfield.

The initial hope was that Liverpool could see off competition from a host of other Premier League clubs to land the talented teenager, but discussions with the player and his representatives proved difficult.

The ECHO understands that Liverpool doubted the youngster's commitment to a move to Merseyside back in May, and withdrew their interest, with Sessegnon seemingly heading for Tottenham.

But the youngster decided to stay at Craven Cottage and sign a new deal with the Cottagers.

Ryan Sessegnon celebrates scoring his sides fifth goal against Burton Albion (Image: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images)

Yet the Express have claimed an 'exclusive' on Sessegnon's future intentions, claiming he has now decided he wants to move to Liverpool, having realised his first-team opportunities won't be restricted under Klopp.

The story suggests if Fulham fail to win promotion, Sessegnon will seek to link up with Klopp, as he prepares to take the next step of his development.

Sessegnon's decision to stay at Fulham has been vindicated this season, with 14 goals in 36 league appearances, operating both in defence and midfield.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ryan-sessegnon-wants-move-liverpool-14377382

Its Spurs today according to Mirror....Hilarious.
[/quote

The story originated from sources close to the player, means I made that up, and sess has been a lifelong liverpool fan. I thought he had been here since he was 8?
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic: The human field-gun who's found himself a new home at Fulham

Aleksandar Mitrovic celebrates by flexing his muscles towards the Fulham fans (Photo by Alex Pantling/Getty Images)

There was a moment on Tuesday evening, near the end of Fulham's emphatic victory over Sheffield United, which gave a glimpse into the enigmatic mind of Aleksandar Mitrovic. With Fulham cruising at 3-0 up and Mitrovic's job done for the evening, the Serbian striker on loan from Newcastle suddenly started to look twitchy, a strange glint in his eye. Going on the charge having spent much of the last 10 minutes at walking pace as Fulham seemed contented to wind down without the ball, there was a sharp intake of breath in the Johnny Haynes Stand as the home fans realised his intentions. One thunderous barge later and he had his customary yellow card for the evening. Two minutes after that he was substituted by manager Slavisa Jokanovic to a standing ovation, presumably to head off any chance that the applause would turn to groans as a late red was produced.

While his substitution came as a relief to the more anxious Fulham fans in the stands – Mitrovic had been hugely influential all evening. With his bulky, bullish forward play he had dominated Sheffield United's back line early on at Craven Cottage, scoring two thumped first-half efforts from inside the box having been neatly teed up by Ryan Fredericks and Stefan Johansen respectively. Both were one-touch finishes which required excellent technique, positioning and a striker's predatory instincts. Mitrovic should have scored a third, but he could only send a Ryan Sessegnon cut-back looping over the upright on the stroke of half-time.

Human field gun
While his substitution came as a relief to the more anxious Fulham fans in the stands – Mitrovic had been hugely influential all evening. With his bulky, bullish forward play he had dominated Sheffield United's back line early on at Craven Cottage, scoring two thumped first-half efforts from inside the box having been neatly teed up by Ryan Fredericks and Stefan Johansen respectively. Both were one-touch finishes which required excellent technique, positioning and a striker's predatory instincts. Mitrovic should have scored a third, but he could only send a Ryan Sessegnon cut-back looping over the upright on the stroke of half-time. Human field gun

Mitrovic's take on the striker's role is rough and rampant, defined by robust hold-up play, bursting runs and battles using elbows, shoulders and all his considerable brawn. After his first goal against Sheffield United, as he strolled back towards the centre circle, he flexed his biceps towards the crowd as if to affirm his reputation as a brawler. Mitrovic is not so much a centre-forward as a human field gun up front: not always the most precise weapon and prone to the occasional catastrophic misfire, but devastating enough to get the job done.

This explosiveness, this ability to demolish opponents, is perhaps why so many Newcastle fans hope Mitrovic still has a future at the club. Though he has never been particularly prolific at St James' Park, there's a sense that he brings more to the team than just goals to the team and has a sinewy strength which they otherwise lack. On Tuesday evening, as well as scoring a brace, he was noticeable for his thumping headed clearances from many of Sheffield United's set pieces. He is capable of battering and bombarding the opposition at either end of the pitch, a heavy artillery footballer to the core.

Given his comments about Rafa Benitez's tactics this week, Mitrovic and Newcastle may well part ways at the end of the season. "It's a different style we play here [at Fulham]," Mitrovic said. "The players enjoy the football more than last season with Newcastle, where we knew how we wanted to play. We always played on the results [at Newcastle], that's it. [Here], we always try to score more goals than the opponent... that's the reason why I came here. The style, the players, always attacking, always trying to score one more than your opponents, always with a lot of possession."

Multi-dimensional Mitro
While Mitrovic is an undeniably physical and destructive player – something which Fulham needed to complement their expansive passing game by all accounts – his technical ability is often underestimated. Human blasting charge on the one hand, he is also capable of neat lay-offs, flicks and carefully crafted touches to his teammates. After the Sheffield United game, Slavisa Jokanovic said of his game changer: "He is a quality player, he has started well with us. He is a proper striker that we have been looking for."

Mitrovic's brace on Tuesday evening takes him to five goals in his last four games, an impressive tally for any forward. Fulham are now unbeaten in 14 and look almost ready for the Premier League. Where he has often looked frustrated at Newcastle, even more wild-eyed and twitchy than usual, Mitrovic seems to have found a new home for his brand of field-gun football. With Fulham fans well taken with their loanee striker, it may suit all parties to make his move permanent.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/aleksandar-mitrovic-fulham-field-gun-newcastle/

WhiteJC

Daily Schmankerl: Bayern interested in Ryan Sessegnon?

James also returned to team training, and German international Julian Draxler had some choice words for Unai Emery after PSG's humiliating Champions League exit.

According to the Sunday Mirror's Tom Hopkinson, Bayern Munich (and Real Madrid) have been keeping an eye on Fulham's precocious left winger. Despite being only 17, Sessegnon made his professional debut at left-back two years ago. This season, after moving forward from defense to offense, he has scored an impressive 13 goals for Fulham.

Manchester City, Manchester United, and Tottenham are apparently pursuing him, so don't expect him to show up in Munich anytime soon—or ever. Munich outlet TZ has some additional information on Sessegnon (in German).

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2018/3/7/17091080/bayern-munich-news-transfer-rumors-ryan-sessegnon-james-rodriguez-injury-psg-real-draxler-emery-ucl

WhiteJC

Sessegnon: "I knew I was staying at Fulham months before signing my first pro contract"

Ryan Sessegnon has told FourFourTwo that he'd decided to stay at Fulham long before penning his first professional deal

The wideman doesn't turn 18 until May but is already being linked with the game's biggest names after establishing himself as a regular in the Cottagers' first team.

After making his debut in an August 2016 League Cup tie at Leyton Orient, Sessegnon went on to score seven goals that season as Fulham sealed a spot in the Championship play-offs.

Last July he helped his country to Under-17 European Championship glory, and the England prodigy has kicked on with his club in 2017/18, netting 14 goals in 38 outings.

Sessegnon's stunning form sent transfer speculation into overdrive: Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid have all been linked with big-money moves for the teenager.

Fulham were able to fend off several advances for their prized asset last summer and successfully tied Sessegnon down to a three-year contract.

But the youngster insists he had no intention of leaving Craven Cottage ahead of the new campaign, as he felt Fulham was the best place to continue his progression.

Speaking exclusively in the April 2018 issue of FourFourTwo magazine, he says: "I made my mind up to stay, months before I signed that contract. I knew I'd play more games here than elsewhere, which is important at my age in order to keep developing."

Sessegnon is equally adept operating as either a left-back or left-winger, and bagged January braces against Burton Albion and Barnsley while playing further up the pitch.

The teenager has revealed that he relishes the chance to play in an advanced role, and paid close attention to fellow attack-minded full-back Luke Shaw while he was growing up.

"I've enjoyed playing as a winger because I can impact the game more in terms of goals and assists," explains the starlet. "But it's good to be versatile. I'm happy in either position.

"I've always been an attacking left-back so I really admired Luke Shaw when he was at Southampton. He's got a lot of attacking qualities and creates chances, which is something I like to do myself. His ability to get up and down the pitch is incredible."

Read the full interview with Ryan Sessegnon in the April 2018 issue of FourFourTwo magazine. A best young players special, we also speak exclusively to Kylian Mbappe, Richarlison, Gianluigi Donnarumma, Justin Kluivert, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Harry Winks and Timo Werner, and meet the people who shaped Marcus Rashford's career. Plus, we go One-on-One with Rafael van der Vaart and experience the 'Israel-Palestine Derby' between Beitar Jerusalem and Bnei Sakhnin, after Donald Trump poured oil on the flames of an already-heated affair. Order a copy today, then become a subscriber!

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/sessegnon-i-knew-i-was-staying-fulham-months-signing-my-first-pro-contract#aFqDEHtGtUxZhQdY.99

WhiteJC

Fulham can get automatic promotion and are the best side in the Championship right now

The Cottagers form doesn't look like ending

The Fulham hype train is in full flow right now.

14 matches unbeaten. They've kept a clean sheet in each of their last five home games and won their last nine fixtures at Craven Cottage.

But after a poor autumn Slavisa Jokanovic's team remain five points away from Cardiff City and automatic promotion to the Premier League.

After defeat to Fulham on Tuesday night, Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder fully believes that the Whites can claim second place before the season is out however.

He said: "Yeah I do, I think they're on a roll. Respect to Cardiff and what they've done as well from last year to this year. I think it's going to go right to the wire.

"I think it would be a brave man to back against them and I'm not saying that because they beat us tonight.

"They look as if they've got the bit between the teeth and they're obviously an outstanding side in the division and they went close last year. If they got into the play-off final they possibly would have won that, though you can't be certain."

The Sheffield United manager also believes that Fulham are the best team in the league at the moment.

He said: "On current form yeah, overall it's over 30-odd games, they're not. Over the past 10 or 15 games they're quite a way ahead of the nearest challengers and you can see why.

"They're full of confidence, they get a foothold in the game, they control games and they've got that bit at the end that we're all looking for. The one ball from Fredericks to Mitrovic [for the opening goal].

"The quality middle to final third is up there or best in the division at the moment."

Wilder wasn't too dismayed by the defeat and again heaped praise on Fulham.

He said: "There's no disgrace in getting beaten by a team bang in form. They've won every game at home since, I think, the 1st November.

"The quality of the players they've got, you're up against top end Championship players, experienced ones, young players that are outstanding talents, players that have dropped out of the Premier League, players that possibly shouldn't be playing in this division and probably won't be at the end of the season."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/fulham-can-automatic-promotion-best-14380981

WhiteJC

Fulham wonderkid Ryan Sessegnon picks Tottenham move over Manchester United, City and Liverpool

The £50m-rated teenager leads the Championship promotion chasers with 14 goals this season with Spurs in pole position to land him

Ryan Sessegnon would favour a move to Tottenham if he leaves Fulham in the summer.

Spurs are in pole position to land the Cottagers' £50million-rated wonderkid — thanks to manager Mauricio Pochettino and their north London location.

Teen sensation Sessegnon, who has bagged 14 goals this season and already racked up 69 appearances, is at the centre of a huge scramble for his signature.

Spurs are long-term admirers of the attacking full-back and have done plenty of groundwork on their bid to sign him.

Sessegnon's swashbuckling play at such a young age has drawn interest from across Europe (Image: PA Wire)

But they face competition from big-spending Manchester giants United and champions-elect City as well as Liverpool, while the 17-year-old has also attracted interest from abroad.

However Pochettino's track record of developing youngsters and giving them chances to play has made Spurs the more appealing option to Sessegnon.

Londoner Sessegnon also wouldn't have to worry about trying to settle in a new city as well as at an unfamiliar club if he joined Spurs, who are willing to pay £35m for the sought after starlet.

Fulham were adamant they wouldn't sell Sessegnon in January and refused to even entertain offers.

Sessegnon is tied to the Championship promotion chasers until 2020 after signing a new three-year deal last summer.

And their prospects of holding onto him this summer will increase further if they manage to return to the top flight after a four-year absence.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side are currently on a 14-game unbeaten run which has propelled them up to fourth, five points off automatic promotion.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-wonderkid-ryan-sessegnon-picks-12146038

WhiteJC

Everybody needs to calm down with Aleksandar Mitrovic

Aleksandar Mitrovic is top of the agenda once again after scoring a few goals but Newcastle fans need to calm down.

Even in the Championship when he started only 11 matches (scoring 4 goals) and Dwight Gayle scored 23, there was still only one striker people wanted to talk about really.

It is a bizarre one, maybe it just because we live in a football era where it is all about systems and formations, rather than individuals, that Mitrovic stands out.

Football fans say why don't we have more characters like the good old days? Then when a 'character' does come along, they typically get slaughtered by supporters and fans alike.

The advent of social media in particular, means there is little wriggle room for players being a bit of a larger than life character.

Imagine if George Best had been around now. He wouldn't have lasted more than a few weeks before the constant circulation of nightclub images would have had the moral majority demanding he was punished for stepping out of line.

Aleksandar Mitrovic hasn't made headlines via nightclub visits, at least from what I have seen, but he does have the knack of tapping into something with many Newcastle fans. He is 'interesting', for want of a better word. He has character, personality, larger than life – supporters like that, well a lot of them do.

With Rafa Benitez not allowed to bring in quality up front last summer, the Newcastle team's struggles in terms of scoring goals, meant many fans were puzzled as to why Mitro was not given some kind of a go this season.

When your top scorer has only five goals after 29 matches, clearly there is something not quite right.

Aleksandar Mitrovic was a topic brought up at an event Rafa Benitez appeared at last month (see below), the manager explaining (or trying to) why he never started the striker and then loaned him out despite the lack of goals.

Rafa basically said that Mitro didn't fit his system of trying to keep a tight defence and then quickly counter-attacking. Though he did claim that he WAS playing him this season 'sometimes for 20 minutes...because I wanted him to score the winning goal'.

Well before he went on loan to Fulham, Newcastle had 25 Premier League matches so far this season and Aleksandar Mitrovic played 89 minutes in total, not many '20 minutes' there.

It isn't any criticism of Rafa, just confirmation that he probably fancies Mitro even less as a player than he lets on.

Arriving at Fulham on loan on deadline day (after first choice Anderlecht revealed at the last minute they couldn't even afford a loan deal), Mitrovic failed to score in his first three appearances.

However, he has now scored five goals in his next four games.

Predictably this has led to much gnashing of teeth from his NUFC fanbase, questioning Rafa's decision to loan him out.

People need to calm down. Even if Rafa had kept Mitrovic at St James Park he wouldn't have played him.

Plus, just because he has scored a few goals in the Championship (just liked Gayle did 23 times last season...) doesn't mean he would suddenly have scored loads of goals in the Premier League if he'd stayed. After all, whilst he wasn't a disaster in his first season in England, Mitrovic still failed to hit double figures in the PL in 2015/16.

Nothing wrong with welcoming Mitro's goals in the Championship AND still being fully behind Rafa's efforts to keep us in the Premier League against the odds.

The two things can both happen at the same time you know...

Rafa Benitez appearing at an event in February at the Tyneside Cinema organised by The Times – Asked about the wisdom of loaning out Aleksandar Mitrovic:

"Mitro...I have had a lot of conversations with him.

"He needed to play (in the second half of the season), I couldn't guarantee he would play.

"Some people say: 'Oh Rafa is stubborn, he doesn't want to recognise he has made a mistake...'

"No, it is not like this, because if it was like this, I wouldn't play Mitro at all...

"But I was playing him, sometimes for 20 minutes, why?

"Because I wanted him to score the winning goal.

"People forget one thing.

"For me it is about picking the right team to ensure that we can win.

"Mitro needed to play and I couldn't guarantee (that) the way that we wanted to play (that he would play).

"If you know Mitro really well...if you do attack and create a lot of chances and crosses, he will score goals, no doubt aboutthat.

"But a team that has 40-45, even 35% possession in some games, you have to defend, you have to play counter-attack.

"If you don't have all these players who can do that, you have to sacrifice something.

"It is the team, the organisation of the team, if we don't do that we will be exposed.

"The team is the key and the characteristic of the players are crucial – I have to do the best for both."

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/03/everybody-needs-calm-aleksandar-mitrovic-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic to field an unchanged XI – Strongest 4-3-3 Fulham lineup to face Preston North End

Jokanovic to field an unchanged XI – Strongest 4-3-3 Fulham lineup to face Preston North End

Fulham are absolutely flying right now and at last, they seem to have found the balance they missed all through the first half of the campaign. To continue their fine run of form, the club will travel to face Preston North End on Saturday.

An easy and entertaining 3-0 win over Sheffield United in midweek further strengthened their place within the playoff picture and have kept them in the hunt only for an automatic promotion place.
Team News

Tomas Kalas remains out but the other big-hitters should all be present in what is likely to be a very strong XI in a 4-3-3 formation.
Predicted Fulham XI
Manager: Slavisa Jokanovic
Formation: 4-3-3

GK – Marcus Bettinelli

Another start beckons for the 25-year-old, who seems to be the long-term option here for Slavisa Jokanovic.

RB – Ryan Fredericks

Has kept his place despite the rumours of him leaving for free at the end of the season and the arrival of Cyrus Christie from Middlesbrough.

CB – Dennis Odoi

Odoi has been filling in nicely at centre-back though he might be given more trouble at Deepdale.

CB – Tim Ream

Offers up crucial experience in the Fulham defence and shouldn't let his side down.

LB – Matt Targett

Probably belongs in the Premier League since his quality is obvious and his presence is one of the reasons Fulham have taken off since the turn of the year.

CM – Tom Cairney

A player of definite Premier League class and one who captains the side very competently. Remains a goalscoring threat from the midfield and is expected to put a shift in.

CM – Kevin McDonald

The workhorse in the line-up effectively, and one whose participation is vital in away games. Preston will battle hard in the middle of the park, so McDonald needs to be at the top of his game.

CM – Stefan Johansen

Like Cairney, Johansen is a goal scoring threat from his position just to the side of McDonald. However, the player will need to remain disciplined in the face of a potential home onslaught.

RW – Sheyi Ojo

Lucas Piazon is pushing for a start but Ojo is better on this side of the field.

LW – Ryan Sessegnon

The youngster may tire at some point but for now, he still remains full of energy and is always capable of a goal.

ST – Aleksandar Mitrovic

It's 5 goals and 2 bookings in Mitro's 7 games for Fulham and the fans are getting exactly what they wanted. He's a shoo-in for another start at Deepdale. Incidentally, it is the same place where he scored twice for Newcastle last year.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/03/08/jokanovic-to-field-an-unchanged-xi-strongest-4-3-3-fulham-lineup-to-face-preston-north-end/

WhiteJC

Reportedly lined up by West Ham for free transfer, Ryan Fredericks grabs seventh assist of the season

Fulham's Ryan Fredericks notched yet another assist on Tuesday night.

Speculation may be surrounding Ryan Fredericks' future with Fulham, but he isn't letting that affect his performances having impressed again versus Sheffield United.

Fulham went into Tuesday's clash with Sheffield United in blistering form, and recorded yet another win as Slavisa Jokanovic's men coasted to a 3-0 victory.

Aleksandar Mitrovic scored twice in the first half, including a nonchalant flick from Stefan Johansen's pass, to put Fulham 2-0 by half time, before Tom Cairney added a third after the break.

Fulham look unbeatable right now, and whilst Mitrovic will grab the headlines having hit his fifth goal in four games, defender Ryan Fredericks deserves praise for his performances.

The right back has been an important player for Fulham ever since his 2015 move from Bristol City, and he has excelled this season, as his cross for Mitrovic's first against Sheffield United saw him rack up a seventh assist of the campaign.

Only nine Championship players have recorded more assists than the right back, and his attacking play appears to be earning him huge interest ahead of the summer transfer window.

Fredericks' contract expires this summer, meaning he can move on for free, and the 25-year-old is a top target for West Ham according to Football.London, with the Hammers plotting to land him for nothing.

Whilst Pablo Zabaleta is solid and experienced, adding an attack-minded full back with pace and end product would be huge for David Moyes' side, especially on a free transfer – and West Ham should have been impressed with his latest display.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/03/07/reportedly-lined-up-by-west-ham-for-free-transfer-ryan-frederick/

WhiteJC

Day after report claims Ryan Sessegnon wants Liverpool, it's claimed he's chosen Tottenham

Tottenham Hotspur are reportedly leading the race for Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon.

According to a report from The Mirror, Fulham teenager Ryan Sessegnon has decided that he wants to join Tottenham Hotspur at the end of the season.

Sessegnon, 17, has come up through the ranks with Fulham having joined the club back in 2008, and he impressed last season with seven goals in 30 games for the Cottagers.

The wonderkid has been a sensation for Slavisa Jokanovic's side this season, hitting 14 goals and four assists in 36 games to aid Fulham's push for promotion.

Many still expect Sessegnon to move on this summer though, and it's claimed that he is now wanting a move to Tottenham due to Mauricio Pochettino's work developing young players and the fact that he wouldn't have to leave London.

What about Liverpool?

Tottenham are allegedly willing to pay £35million to secure Sessegnon's signature this summer, which may well hint at Danny Rose's exit, but the claims come just a day after reports over Liverpool's interest.

The Express claimed on Wednesday that Sessegnon prefers a move to Liverpool over any other Premier League club, but those claims have now been countered with the latest Tottenham reports.

Liverpool have seen Andrew Robertson thrive at left back recently, whilst Jurgen Klopp also has Alberto Moreno at his disposal, meaning the Reds may view Sessegnon as a left winger rather than a left back.

At Spurs, Sessegnon could play anywhere down the left flank given Pochettino's tactical flexibility, and it now remains to be seen whether Liverpool or Tottenham win the race for his signature.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/03/08/day-after-report-claims-ryan-sessegnon-wants-liverpool-its-claim/