watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

An away perspective

Started by Blade in Peace, March 08, 2018, 10:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HV71

I think another point that makes our crowd a little bit different is the amount of foreign supporters we have ( something I welcome rather than frown upon ) . I often ask them why do they come to the Cottage? They often respond that it is a nice place to watch the game they love with a homely , non threatening atmosphere. This is particularly true of both the Scandinavians and Americans who also follow our fortunes because we have had a players from these nations. Our fan base is therefore more diverse than many other teams - which has both up and downsides.  When I had to stop supporting my hometown  (northern ) club , and lived in Putney , Fulham was the only place I wanted to go .

In Joka I trust

bog

Quote from: HV71 on March 08, 2018, 04:28:09 PM
I think another point that makes our crowd a little bit different is the amount of foreign supporters we have ( something I welcome rather than frown upon ) . I often ask them why do they come to the Cottage? They often respond that it is a nice place to watch the game they love with a homely , non threatening atmosphere. This is particularly true of both the Scandinavians and Americans who also follow our fortunes because we have had a players from these nations. Our fan base is therefore more diverse than many other teams - which has both up and downsides.  When I had to stop supporting my hometown  (northern ) club , and lived in Putney , Fulham was the only place I wanted to go .

In Joka I trust

For the Forest game I sat next to someone from the USA. He said he loves Fulham as it is good stadium and club and there have been a lot of Americans who have played for us with some distinction. He said he also goes to that lot down the road but feels the corporate involvement there so prefers our offering.

092.gif   

RaySmith

At our away game at Hull this season I was chatting to a young Norwegian who followed Fulham.

I also once shared a  cab from  Blackburn station to Blackburn's ground for their game with us, with a  Japanese woman  who supported Fulham.

JoelH5

Call us middle class all day. I remember an away day to Bolton. As long as we're far away from that I'm all good ;)
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Fulham 442

I wonder if the Italian supporter still flies over for every game as he did when we were in the Prem?  I remember him coming on to the pitch and getting introduced at half time!

KJS

I really don't care what other fans think we are because simply put "WE ARE FULHAM" 049:gif

Fulham 442

I was born in Fulham and it certainly wasn't posh then but it has certainly become gentrified now.  My previous family home is now worth over £2m and certainly beyond my price range!  When we were in the Premiership we certainly had a number of STH's who were not Fulham supporters but just wanted to see EPL football at a reasonable cost, and out season tickets were always good value.  However I still think we have a good "local" base support.  A lot of us have moved out of the area, after several moves I am now in Kingston but more importantly I think we have a good up and coming support with the younger generation as we are such a friendly club and Craven Cottage is a safe place to come and bring your children.  Both my sons are die hard Fulham fans, despite their father being a genuine Man United fan and their stepfather being West Ham they have never been influenced by either, but then I took them to games as tiny children and planted the vital seed!  As far as our vocal support goes I have to admit it isn't the best, acoustics apart, but where I sit, in the Hammy End it is certainly the loudest.  However on occasions we are the vital 12th man, Fulham vs Juventus being a particular one to mention.  I will never forget that night, the best game for me ever.  However if we are not that noisy I am proud of the fact that fans of opposing teams can come and enjoy a game at the Cottage.  We may not be that vocal but we are friendly!

Blade in Peace

Personally I'd put up with the less vocal support to be surrounded by good friendly people. On the whole blades are a good bunch, but unfortunately there are a disappointing number of idiots following us. There can be certain preconceptions about us, and as a consequence we don't always get the best of receptions.  I can only imagine what it's like to be a Millwall supporter.

Regarding the number of travelling supporters: I think 1500 on an Tuesday night is pretty good.  Especially when you consider that most fans (rightly) thought we'd get beat and that we have another long trip on Saturday (To Ipswich). I drove on Tuesday, I had to finish work early to get down and didn't get home until around 2am (thanks to 3 separate planned M1 closures). So it certainly wasn't the easiest of away days, well apart from for the London blades.  Although I don't think us Sheffielders (A bit like Brummies) tend to move away much.

Once again I think Fulham and Wolves are miles ahead of the rest in this league. I'd predict
1. Wolves
2.Fulham
3. Villa
4. Cardiff
5. Middlesbrough
6. Bristol

I think Derby will fall off, I don't quite think we have the quality. Preston might just make it, Brentford seem to be too inconsistent.

Southcoastffc

Fair enough Blade, but don't you think that a good number of the 1500 do not currently live in Sheffield? I'd wager that at least a couple of hundred work in London. That's why our away support is often unfairly compared to some other teams. E.g how many Fulham fans work near Barnsley or want a weekend away there?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Blade in Peace

Quote from: Southcoastffc on March 08, 2018, 07:30:01 PM
Fair enough Blade, but don't you think that a good number of the 1500 do not currently live in Sheffield? I'd wager that at least a couple of hundred work in London. That's why our away support is often unfairly compared to some other teams. E.g how many Fulham fans work near Barnsley or want a weekend away there?j

Yeah there were certainly a few London blades there. But the majority were the same old faces you see at every other ground from Carlisle to Plymouth.  Of course there's blades scattered around, I myself used to live in Scotland and found that the London games were easier to travel to than home games. But most faced the same arduous journey I did.

Twig

I really don't care about the middle class label. I am middle class, I come from a working class background in Hammersmith and worked damned hard for myself and my family. I make no apologies about it.
It doesn't change my love of my club. I am still a liberal minded person. I still have the same mates.

I think blade in piece makes some very balanced and fair minded points, credit to him. And for the record I hope we never again sing songs about the opposition being f....ing sh1t. That was embarrassing.

Blade in Peace

Quote from: Twig on March 08, 2018, 07:42:42 PM
I really don't care about the middle class label. I am middle class, I come from a working class background in Hammersmith and worked dambed hard for myself and my family. I make no apologies about it.
It doesn't change my love of my club. I am still a liberal minded person. I still have the same mates.

I think blade in piece makes some very balanced and fair minded points, credit to him. And for the record I hope we never again sing songs about the opposition being f....ing sh1t. That was embarrassing.

Thanks. Couldn't agree more on the middle class part, as someone who grew up on a council estate, but was fortunate enough to go to Uni, I would now consider myself middle class. As far the 'you're loving poo chants', I've heard much worse. We've sung it on many occasions, including 'we're flipping poo'. If I'm honest I never heard it in the away end anyway.

Blade in Peace

Quote from: Blade in piece on March 08, 2018, 07:51:03 PM
Quote from: Twig on March 08, 2018, 07:42:42 PM
I really don't care about the middle class label. I am middle class, I come from a working class background in Hammersmith and worked dambed hard for myself and my family. I make no apologies about it.

Thanks. Couldn't agree more on the middle class part, as someone who grew up on a council estate, but was fortunate enough to go to Uni, I would now consider myself middle class. As far the 'you're flipping poo chants', I've heard much worse. We've sung it on many occasions, including 'we're flipping poo'. If I'm honest I never heard it in the away end anyway.

P.s. you have the greatest swear blocker I've ever seen. From now on I will sing 'you're flipping poo' :005:

VicHalomsLovechild

Quote from: Blade in piece on March 08, 2018, 12:35:33 PM
The middle class broadsheet reader comments certainly weren't meant as a dig (I probably fall into both categories). But when you consider the  last few season I was visiting the likes of: Oldham, Rochdale, Barnsley, Walsall etc etc, Fulham certainly feels like a contrast. Clearly a very nice and affluent area, the fans I came across were clearly intelligent ....
Jonty and Tarquin especially.

064.gif They both said nice things about you too, while we quaffed our sherries at half time.

jeremyfulham

Nice article Steve hope you copy it to your forum for a bit of balance