https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (23/09/10)

Started by WhiteJC, September 23, 2010, 07:16:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214138
Fulham - Watching Given?
The inference in one of the leading tabloids, the Daily Mirror, is that Fulham are casting an eye on the current happenings at Manchester City.

Apparently, Roberto Mancini is ready to sanction the January departure of Shay Given now that the Irish keeper has lost his keepers spot to Joe Hart.

The tabloid infers that Fulham, along with Arsenal and AS Roma, are keeping tabs on the situation, obviously with a view to luring the keeper away from Manchester.

It might be worth keeping a watchful eye on this one!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214138#ixzz10KZC2oof

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214137
Fulham - Hughes Rage!
The behaviour of Mark Hughes, patrolling the touch-line, showed that the boss was not a happy man.

Indeed, that horrible lunge made by Andy Wilkinson, on Moussa Dembele, was deserved of a red card.

The site of Dembele being carried away on a stretcher just about summed up our evening, a long trip, an empty stadium and empty hearts, now devoid of any hope of Carling Cup glory.

After the match, in the obligatory post-match interview, Mark Hughes had every right to be vociferous when it came to discussing the challenge made by Wilkinson in stoppage-time, remarking,

"If Mousa has avoided serious injury then he is a very lucky boy considering the tackle."

"His career could have been put at risk. I just don`t know what the Stoke player was thinking about at that stage of the game."

"There is supposed to be a certain code of conduct in such circumstances."

"With the result of the match assured, you should look after the wellbeing of fellow pros and protect them."

"Instead we saw an absolutely ridiculous challenge, utterly unnecessary and possibly placing Mousa`s entire career at risk."

"Mousa will leave the stadium on crutches and with his left leg in plaster. It`ll be at least 24 hours before we know the full extent of the damage. But Fulham can`t afford to lose him for any length of time."

"Zamora is missing for five months with a broken leg already."

Any serious injury leaves our club struggling to field a regular strike pairing. However, the Stoke management team were gracious enough to admit that the tackle was rash although stopping short of condemning their own man, when Tony Pulis` right hand man, Dave Kemp, muttered,

"It was an unnecessary, rash challenge. But there was no malice in it, just over-enthusiasm."

I`m beginning to think Arsene Wenger was right, there is something nasty about Stoke and the way they go about things!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214137#ixzz10KZPdwKp

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1298/0/fulham-discover-dembele-fate-thursday?
Fulham to discover Dembele fate on Thursday

Fulham will have to wait another 24 hours to discover the full extent of Mousa Dembele's injury, but the striker looks like he will be out of action for at least two weeks with ankle ligament damage.

The Moroccan was carried off on a stretcher in stoppage time during Fulham's 2-0 defeat at Stoke in the Carling Cup on Tuesday after a reckless tackle from Andy Wilkinson that infuriated manager Mark Hughes.

Dembele will have an MRI scan on Thursday to assess the full extent of the damage to his left ankle, and he is likely to face at least a fortnight on the sidelines. The Belgian international took over as Fulham's main striker when Bobby Zamora broke his leg in a similar tackle ten days ago.

A Fulham spokesperson said: "He will have an MRI scan on Thursday when the swelling subsides and we should know after that whether it is ligament damage or anything else."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214150
Stoke v Fulham Prediction Poll!
Starting the game unbeaten, we`re inquisitive to know how many of you, in our pre-match poll, thought that unbeaten record would still be intact after the Stoke game.

Delving into our data-base, we found that 61% of you thought that Fulham would win last night, whether it`d be inside the ninety minutes (42%), after extra time (6%) or in a dramatic penalty shoot-out (13%).

Never mind, onwards and upwards as they say!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214150#ixzz10Ka6UoBM

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/john-cross/John-Cross-column-Why-the-FA-must-increase-bans-for-reckless-tackles-in-wake-of-Fulham-striker-Mousassa-Dembeles-injury-caused-by-Stokes-Andy-Wilkinson-article586163.html
Why the FA must increase bans for reckless tackles in wake of Mousassa Dembele's injury

Arsene Wenger is often portrayed as a lone voice when it comes to complaining about bad challenges.

That changed this week, when Mark Hughes - an unlikely ally - joined Wenger in slamming a Stoke City player for an appalling tackle.

Hughes was furious with Stoke's Andy Wilkinson for the challenge which took out Fulham striker Mouassa Dembele.

The Fulham manager called it an "absolutely ridiculous challenge." In fairness, even the Stoke assistant boss Dave Kemp called it "unnecessary and rash."

Ryan Shawcross's X-rated challenge which shattered Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey's leg was immediately, and inevitably, brought up in the aftermath and ensuing discussions.

And before Stoke fans get on my back, Wilkinson's appalling challenge invited Shawcross's tackle to be brought up again.

That's what happens when you make bad challenges. People rightly point out that the club has done it before. That's because you would hope Wilkinson would have seen what happened with Shawcross.

Do I think either player meant to seriously injure the opponent? Not a chance. No way.

But they put themselves in that position by making reckless challenges. And when you make reckless challenges then bad injuries occur. That's why challenges should be made with care and skill.

Why on earth Wilkinson felt the need to make that challenge with Stoke leading 2-0 and also do what any good full back might and jockey the forward rather than dive in is another matter. That is a skill in itself.

I have always been a big supporter of Stoke boss Tony Pulis. In the first year they were promoted, he should have got Manager of the Year for keeping Stoke up. No argument.

Pulis has a style that is all about commitment and motivation, ensuring that his players and fans are ready for the battle.

Again, there's no way he tells them to injure players. But you can't defend reckless tackles.

Last weekend Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce wrote a fascinating column in the News of the World in which he talked about the dynamics of his relationship with Wenger. He clearly doesn't like Wenger. That's absolutely fine. Great read though.

But did anyone see Blackburn's game with Fulham on Saturday? There is no doubt that Blackburn targeted Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer - their strong tactics even led to Christopher Samba scoring in the 1-1 draw.

Samba has admitted they played on Schwarzer's perceived weaknesses, El Hadji Diouf nudged Schwarzer and Blackburn scored.

That's one thing. I think it's perfectly acceptable. High balls into the box with big players challenging. Just as long as you don't foul. Similarly, you will target a weak left back by putting the right winger up against him. Allardyce clearly found Fulham's weakness and exploited it.

Rory Delap uses his long throw for Stoke to great effect. Even Wenger says if he had Delap in his team then he would use that weapon.

But there is a difference between playing on those weaknesses and reckless challenges. There's also a difference between 'getting in players' faces' or 'getting stuck in' and reckless challenges.

Frankly, some Arsenal fans have done my head in recently. It's as if you are not allowed to tackle their players anymore now that Vieira, Petit, Adams and Bould have cleared off and Arsenal want to play a different way.

Was Cesc Fabregas even allowed to shut down Anton Ferdinand and make a challenge on the Sunderland defender that led to Arsenal's goal in Saturday? Even that's a bit dodgy by the standards of some Arsenal fans.

The disappointing thing, though, is that that's not what Wenger meant. He even spelt out that he likes good tackling, likes the commitment of English football and yet will never, ever encourage his players to deliberately injure opponents.

The thing is, nor will Allardyce or Pulis. Allardyce exploits weaknesses while Pulis clearly wants his players to be committed and go in for hard challenges. That's where the argument starts, however, because there is nothing wrong in that.

Where it is completely wrong is when players go in recklessly. You can have no excuses then when players get seriously hurt. If you go in recklessly expect reckless results.

Would you put yourself in a position where you drive home drunk from the pub? I hope not. But again, of course you don't set out to injure someone intentionally, but you can end up doing so because you are being reckless by drink driving and not being in control.

This is where the Football Association have to step in to control matters on the pitch in a much better fashion.

This week, the fast track disciplinary panel charged, punished and dealt with Arsene Wenger after the Arsenal manager acted inappropriately towards fourth official Martin Atkinson at Sunderland.

In a similar fashion, the FA should do the same with bad tackles. Use video evidence to increase bans on players who tackle recklessly. Where necessary, even over rule the referee to increase the punishment.

Cut out this nonsense where if the referee has seen it and dealt with it then the punishment cannot be increased. How ridiculous and out of date is that in this day and age? Nearly as antiquated as football not using video technology.

But it's happened before. In 2006, Ben Thatcher got an eight match ban - plus a further 15 games suspended - for elbowing Pedro Mendes.

The FA can increase punishments. And it's high time they did. It would take a while for the new hard line approach to filter down.

But it would given time. Then maybe Wilkinson would consciously or subconsciously think twice about diving in on Dembele and instead go down the more skillful route of jockeying him down the by-line and away from danger.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/john-cross/John-Cross-column-Why-the-FA-must-increase-bans-for-reckless-tackles-in-wake-of-Fulham-striker-Mousassa-Dembeles-injury-caused-by-Stokes-Andy-Wilkinson-article586163.html#ixzz10KagNqvT

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-News-Fulham-manager-Mark-Hughes-is-interested-in-signing-Julian-Speroni-from-Crystal-Palace-article586325.html
Fulham take a second look at Speroni

Mark Hughes could yet sign Crystal Palace keeper Julian Speroni after the Argentine revealed he nearly signed before the transfer deadline.

Hughes was keen on the Eagles stopper as a replacement for Mark Schwarzer who had been bound for Arsenal.

The game of musical goalkeepers was prevented from happening, however, because Fulham could not complete their move for Speroni in time. Speroni, 30, said: "Of course I knew of the interest and I must admit at the time it was a bit disappointing.

"It was a good opportunity for me to go and play at the highest level but in the end I'm not sure how talks went and it is not myself that makes the last decision.

"I have been here a long time and I am very happy here so I have no problem staying.

"It was more the chance to play in the Premier League, not that I want to leave Palace.

"I am not thinking of that now though, I just want to concentrate on my football.

"I don't try to mix things.

"One thing is what happens off the pitch and the other is what I do on it."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-News-Fulham-manager-Mark-Hughes-is-interested-in-signing-Julian-Speroni-from-Crystal-Palace-article586325.html#ixzz10Kb92dhn

White Noise

Inside Fulham FC Podcast

Hear Mark Hughes' views on Fulham's bruising encounters against Blackburn and Stoke City.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iffc

White Noise

Poll: Top clubs' fans sharing season tickets to cut costs

Published 11:36 23/09/10

By MirrorFootball

One in eight Manchester United fans are planning on sharing the use and cost of their season ticket this season, according to new research.

Some 12% of United fans are preparing to share their season tickets with other supporters, according to Virgin Money's Football Fans' Index. By contrast, only 2% of fans of newly-promoted Blackpool are expecting to do so.

Earlier this month, United revealed that they fell 2,200 short of their target of 54,000 season ticket sales.

The survey showed 9% of Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool supporters were also sharing their season ticket.

Grant Bather, spokesman for Virgin Money, said: "Clubs may have frozen season ticket prices but some fans are starting to question whether they can afford to support their team week in, week out.

"The discontent amongst Manchester United fans has been well documented over the past few seasons and it's no surprise to see a significant number of fans electing to share the cost of their season tickets with fellow fans in protest."

Malcolm Clarke, chairman of the Football Supporters' Federation, added: "We get more and more reports of supporters sharing season tickets. The main reason is cost. Far too many fans simply can't afford the burden of paying for a ticket on their own these days."

SHARED SEASON TICKET TABLE

(club, minimum season ticket price, max. season ticket price, % of fans sharing season ticket)

Man Utd £513 £931 12%

Arsenal £893 £1,370 9%

Liverpool £732 £785 9%

Tottenham £650 £1,175 9%

Blackburn £209 £369 8%

Newcastle £365 £658 8%

Wolves £522 £630 8%

Aston Villa £350 £550 6%

Sunderland £380 £495 6%

West Ham £600 £830 6%

Birmingham £396 £638 5%

Chelsea £695 £1,210 5%

Man City £420 £515 5%

Stoke City £449 £609 5%

West Brom £399 £499 5%

Wigan £250 £295 5%

Bolton £339 £475 4%

Fulham £369 £899 4%

Everton £528 £631 3%

Blackpool £382 £440 2%

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-United-fans-lead-the-Premier-League-in-sharing-season-tickets-with-fellow-supporters-a-new-poll-has-revealed-article586813.html#ixzz10LxpKoL9

White Noise

Ready For Action

Thursday 23rd September 2010

It was a bitter-sweet night for Rafik Halliche at the Britannia Stadium on Tuesday evening. Whilst the Algerian international was handed his First Team debut as a second half substitute (84 min), the defender was clearly upset to have been knocked out of the Carling Cup.

"Overall it was a mixed evening for me on Tuesday night," Halliche told fulhamfc.com. "I was really happy to make my first appearance coming on as a substitute and playing for the first time in Fulham colours but I was really disappointed with the result. I'll need to wait for another opportunity and when this comes I need to make sure that I play to the best of my ability."

Tuesday night's result was overshadowed by an injury to Mousa Dembele following a late, wreckless challenge from Stoke City defender Andy Wilkinson during the dying seconds of the game. Despite the recent loss of Bobby Zamora and current concerns over Dembele, Halliche is expecting a positive response from his side on Saturday afternoon when Fulham take on Everton at the Cottage (KO 3pm).

"Injuries are every player's worst nightmare but these injuries [Zamora and Dembele] coupled with Tuesday's result was hard to take. We now have to bounce back and do well in the two remaining competitions.

"It's hard for us at the moment to be without two excellent players in Bobby and Mousa due to injury but it's now up to the rest of the Team to give everything and work as hard as possible.

"It will be a hard game for sure on Saturday as we are up against a solid opponent [Everton] but for us it's important to try to get a win to continue the good form we have shown in the league and to stay in the top half of the table."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/HallicheDebutReaction.aspx#ixzz10MaO3yDs

White Noise

http://www.jeffwinterentertainmentandmedia.co.uk/weekend/0910005.php

Rightly or wrongly a couple of teams are picking up a reputation for foul play. I am sure their supporters and indeed managers will say that they are just committed but the tackle by Stoke City's Andy Wilkinson in added time with his side leading 2-0 against Fulham was both unnecessary and dangerous.

Mis-timed perhaps rather than malicious but the player was only yellow carded. Surely the Rugby League rule, of referring incidents such as these to a review panel would benefit the game?

White Noise

Fever Las Vegas!

Bodog, Fulham's official betting and gaming partner, are offering Fulham fans the chance to win a trip of a lifetime to Sin City on Saturday, including return flights, accommodation, and spending money.

If you're heading to the Cottage on Saturday keep an eye out for Bodog's promotion girls who will be visiting local pubs in Fulham and Putney on the day of the game before heading down to Stevenage Road in the build-up to Saturday's kick-off (3pm).

37 lucky Fulham fans will then be selected, all receiving a complimentary ticket to the Fulham v Spurs game, and then competing in a half-time competition in front of the Fulham faithful to win a trip to Las Vegas.

For your chance to participate, arrive early at the Cottage on Saturday and take advantage of our early bird Carling offer of £2.50 per pint from 13:30 – 14:15. Look out for the Bodog Girls if you fancy a trip to Vegas!

On behalf of Bodog – Good Luck!!!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/BodogVegasComp.aspx#ixzz10MtDv8UZ

White Noise

Dembele Injury Update

Following the injury to Mousa Dembele sustained during the Carling Cup fixture against Stoke, the Club can confirm that an x-ray showed there was no fracture to the ankle, however an MRI scan has revealed some ligament damage, that will need to recover, prior to a return to training.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/DembeleInjuryUpdate.aspx#ixzz10MxBmqiH

White Noise

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1323/0/johnson-close-fulham-return

Johnson close to Fulham return

By talkSPORT

Thursday, September 23

FULHAM have been boosted by the news that Andrew Johnson will return to full training next week.

The £10.5m striker has not played since injuring his knee in the defeat at Blackburn in January.

But he is hoping to be pushing for a place in the squad for the game at West Ham on October 2.

Johnson's return is a welcome piece of good news for Craven Cottage boss Mark Hughes, who has lost Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele to injury in the last fortnight.

Zamora has been ruled out for up to five months after breaking his leg against Wolves.

And Dembele faces at least a fortnight on the sidelines after suffering ankle ligament in a tackle from Stoke full-back Andy Wilkinson that Hughes called 'ridiculous'.

But Johnson could return to lead the line at Upton Park, having played just 13 games last season due to knee and shoulder injuries.