watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (17/03/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 17, 2018, 07:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic tells Ian Holloway that there's no party to spoil ahead of Fulham vs QPR

The QPR manager wants his side to 'spoil the party' tomorrow at the Cottage, but the Fulham head coach insists there's no party in the first place

Slavisa Jokanovic has told Ian Holloway that there's no party to spoil ahead of Fulham's game with QPR after the Rs boss said intended to be the party pooper at Craven Cottage.

The Whites are 15 games unbeaten and chasing the automatic promotion spots ahead of tomorrow's game, while QPR are 15th but have just come away with a midweek victory at third placed Aston Villa.

Earlier in the day, Holloway said that he wanted to spoil Fulham's party like he did Villa's on Tuesday night, but Jokanovic is paying no mind to that, saying his side aren't celebrating anything yet because there are still nine games ahead of them.

He said: "We must respect them and be concentrated and focused on our job.

"I hear him (Ian Holloway) in his press conference that he is coming to try and 'be a party breaker' but this party doesn't exist, we don't celebrate anything because there are nine games ahead of us.

"After the game, in any result, if we win, we lose or we draw, we must take the shower, rest ourselves and be ready for next challenge.

"With this mentality, this is the best mentality for us and best way, if we are thinking about something so special tomorrow and do something that is not usual for us, this is completely wrong.

"We must be focused, respect and humility, trust each other and push forward."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-tells-ian-holloway-14421768

WhiteJC

Stan Brown 1941-2018

Fulham Football Club are deeply saddened to learn of the death of former player Stan Brown at the age of 76.

Born is Lewes, Sussex Brown began his Fulham career as a centre-forward but was soon performing as a wing-half in Fulham's First Division side of the 60s. A hard working and consistent performer Stan was beloved by his teammates and went on to make 397 appearances for the Whites. 

His first goal for the Whites in September 1962 proved to be the winner against eventual champions Everton, a 1-0 victory at Craven Cottage.

Brown played in the original 'Great Escape' side of 1966 but also experienced two relegations from the First to the Third Division. Appearing in two League Cup quarter-finals in 1967 and 1970 he was an ever present in the Whites side throughout the 1969-70 Season and played in most games the following season.

After leaving Fulham Brown went on loan to Brighton before moving permanently to Colchester United and finally Wimbledon.

Following his retirement and returning to the Lewes area Brown managed non-League Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill & Ringmer Southwick.

The thoughts of all at Fulham are with Stan's family and friends at this sad time.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/march/16/stan-brown-1941-2018

WhiteJC

U18s Travel To Leicester

Colin Omogbehin's Under-18 side travel to Leicester City on Saturday morning for their PL South fixture which kicks off at midday.

The Young Whites have played Leicester twice this season back in November. Firstly the reverse fixture which finished with a 2-2 draw at Motspur Park after Leicester's Luke Thomas scored an injury time equaliser. Tyrese Francois and Sonny Hilton had given Fulham the lead in that match.

They met a second time 10 days later at the Leicester City Training Ground in the PL Cup where the match also ended with a 1-1 stalemate, which was enough to send Fulham into the quarter-final of the cup.

Fulham sit fifth in the PL South table on 24 points, one place and one point above the Foxes.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/march/16/u18s-travel-to-leicester

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic believes Ryan Sessegnon is ready for England senior squad despite U21 call-up

The wonderkid received his first U21 call-up but his head coach believes he is ready to play for the senior side

Slavisa Jokanovic still believes Ryan Sessegnon is ready for senior international football after his England U21 call-up this week.

The Fulham head coach had been backing the wonderkid to make Gareth Southgate's squad for their friendlies with Holland and Italy, but instead he was selected for the U21s for the first time in his career.

At 17, that is an accomplishment in itself, but Jokanovic believes he has checked himself at senior level already, playing over 70 games for the first team, and thinks that Sessegnon will adapt himself to playing with the U21s easily having done the same at senior level.

And Jokanovic is still backing Sessegnon, who he dubbed 'one of the best football projects in England', to make the step up into the first team.

He said: "He has improved, it's next step forward but personally I believe he can soon make one step up still.

"This is not in my hands and this is not my decision but in general this player has made a great job for the team, he's one of the best football projects here in England for the future.

"At the end, he is quiet, he try working daily in the highest level possible and try improve himself.

Ryan Sessegnon (Photo by Alex Pantling/Getty Images)

"It's important because he will check himself at this level, he's around 70 games checking himself at a senior level and this is not especially strange situation for himself, playing with players four years older than him.

"He has experience playing with older players, 15 or 10 years older, he's not a kid, he's a player who is right now ready for important senior football.

"He will be in the senior squad soon, I don't know if it's a few days, months or years, but in my perspective I believe he will be soon in best English squad."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-believes-ryan-sessegnon-14421993

WhiteJC

Ream: Falling Into Place

Tim Ream is excited and confident heading into this Saturday's West London Derby against QPR at the Cottage.

When asked how he was feeling before the match, he responded that the team was feeling strong. "We're confident," the American defender said. "Just like we are before every match."

"We've been on a really good run since Christmas—15 games unbeaten now," he continued.

"Our mindset doesn't change," Ream emphasised. "We focus on them a little bit, but it's more about the way we play and what we want to do."

Ream explained that he knows just how much this match means to the Whites faithful.

"It's a West London Derby. Obviously the fans want to get one over on each other and we can do that for them," he said.

"And they can help us out by getting behind us," he pointed out as well.

When he was asked what the secret to his great recent form was, he put it down to hard work. "It's been consistency," Ream said. "I've not done anything special. I've not done anything different really."

"Everyone has been great, to be honest," he continued. We've gelled really well as the season's gone on and everything's just clicking right now. It's all falling into place."

The stand out centre-back also made sure to note how great it was to have the whole squad back in peak form. "It's important to have competition in every position," Ream said.

"With everyone fit and healthy, it allows that competition to foster and it pushes everyone to be better on a daily basis."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/march/16/tim-ream-interview

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney and Matt Smith reunited ahead of Fulham v QPR

They may be close off the pitch, but Tom Cairney and Matt Smith will have to put friendship to one side for Saturday's west London derby, as Sky Sports EFL reporter Jonathan Oakes found out earlier this week...

Sitting inside a high-street coffee shop, just around the corner from Craven Cottage, Tom Cairney is catching up with former Fulham team-mate Matt Smith over a vanilla latte.

It's not the most common location for a footballer to spend their free time, but for these two, in recent years, it's become something of a weekly ritual.

Matt Smith and Tom Cairney speak to Jonathan Oakes about their friendship off the pitch ahead of the London derby between Fulham and QPR

"We go for dinner once a week, sometimes we get a tag-along, and we have a thing of trying to get through every restaurant in London," says Smith. "And we're making a good job of it!"

The pair forged a friendship within a close-knit group that contained Jamie O'Hara, Ben Pringle and Richard Stearman in the years following the Whites' relegation from the Premier League - Smith joined from Leeds in the summer of 2014, Cairney followed from Blackburn 10 months later.

Birmingham-born Smith's career had not seen him travel any further south than the Midlands prior to the transfer to SW6, while for Cairney, a move to the capital was a daunting prospect having spent the entirety of his time as a professional turning out for Rovers and in east Yorkshire, with Hull.

However, it was the connection the two made in the days after the Scotland international's reported £3m move from Ewood Park that proved critical to his settling in the city and, ultimately, his success on the pitch.

Smith, who joined west London rivals QPR last January, said: "There's people that you work with that you get on amicably with but there's ultimately people that you click a bit more with and you spend a bit more time with. We had things in common, have spent a lot of our careers up north and were both relatively new to London.

"As footballers, you have a lot of free time after you finish training at 1pm and there's a lot of time in the afternoon. It's always important that you take time away from the pitch to get to know each other and to gel, because I think that shows on the pitch."

Cairney added: "He's got the keys to the city and he's a friend to the stars so I think it helped me settle in more quickly because it's hard moving from up north down here, it definitely eased me into London life.

"I think it helps take your mind off things, people don't realise sometimes that when you are injured and when you haven't got a timescale or you're not sure what it is, that's the hardest thing to deal with and that's what it was with me at the start of the season."

With the form the Fulham skipper is in, it's difficult to comprehend that he missed the whole of September, and half of October, with a knee injury as Slavisa Jokanovic's squad looked to build on their sixth-placed finish - and eventual play-off defeat to Reading.

Nonetheless, the 27-year-old has returned to the starting XI and played a pivotal role in the run of 15 games without defeat, stretching back to mid-December, that has propelled the Whites to within eight points of the automatic places with nine games remaining.

The gap will be a difficult one to bridge, but after coming through perhaps the most challenging period in the season unscathed, Cairney believes all the signs point to a promising finish in the Sky Bet Championship.

"I think they said the last six games were going to be season defining," he said. "We've played teams around us and above us and we've won five and drawn one. We're in frightening form at the minute and I don't think anyone will want to play us at this time.

"We have been capable of it all season, but I think it's a bit like last season where, at the turn of the year, we've really turned it on. It's going to be hard to catch Cardiff at the minute as they keep winning as well, but I'm sure we'll have a good go. If we end up going the rest of the season unbeaten and not being able to catch Cardiff then it'll be really frustrating, but we will see."

In contrast, Ian Holloway's QPR can count themselves among the form teams in the division, having upset fellow promotion hopefuls Aston Villa with a 3-1 victory at Villa Park on Tuesday evening and Smith is enjoying a fruitful season, with his eight goals marking his third-best return in professional football.

He said: "We've picked up recently and won a good seven points from the last three games, so the form seems to have turned a bit and if we can really start capitalising on away performances - because our home form has been really good, but what's let us down really is away from home - the Villa result the other night was certainly our best result and best performance of the season, I think we surprised a lot of people.

"I always think I'm more influential starting games and I think my goalscoring record is much better when I'm starting games, but the manager utilised me as an impact player predominantly at the start of the season. I think I've been turning in some good performances, not only scoring goals but creating them as well, so I just hope I can continue from that.

"I'm very lucky at QPR because I've got Luke Freeman next to me who's got a fantastic left foot, fantastic delivery and he's one of the leading assist providers in the division. When I was at Fulham I had Tom, when I was at Leeds I had Ross McCormack.

"It's all about having these relationships because ultimately, it's people like Tom, Luke who make me look good. I'm heavily reliant on players around me and I just think the better ammunition I'm getting from the flanks, it's going to make me look good. I'm thankful for those guys."

It was a friendship that was almost scuppered in January when West Ham declared a major interest in signing Cairney for a touted £18m, but for the meantime, it's clear to see there's plenty of admiration between these two.

"Every Thursday we watch clips of the opposition and it was basically the Matt Smith show today," said Cairney. "It was literally watching him win headers for about 10 minutes. Our game plan is to try and stop that, obviously, so if you don't play, I don't know what I'm going to do! Sometimes they say form goes out the window in games like this so it'll be a closer game than some people are thinking.

Smith concluded: "He's moved, he's left the Fulham ends and lives in Cobham now so it makes life a bit harder for us to meet up, but on the pitch, once he's fit, I think he's the best in this division. It's nice to see, but hopefully on Saturday he can have an off-day."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11292305/tom-cairney-and-matt-smith-reunited-ahead-of-fulham-v-qpr

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic only concentrated on Fulham job amidst Chelsea speculation

Reports had suggested Jokanovic was a candidate to replace Antonio Conte at Chelsea, but the head coach has dismissed any speculation

Slavisa Jokanovic has dismissed any speculation linking him with the Chelsea job, insisting his only focus is on Fulham.

Reports had suggested that the Serbian, who used to play for the Blues, was one of the candidates the Stamford Bridge outfit were looking at should they decide to part ways with Antono Conte at the end of the season.

Jokanovic spent two years at Chelsea towards the end of his career, making 44 appearances between 2000 and 2002 before being released and retiring at Ciudad Murcia.

He seems to have impressed his former club with his managerial skills, however, guiding Fulham to the play-offs last season and looking set to do the same this campaign, whilst going 15 unbeaten (at time of writing) with the Cottagers.

However, Jokanovic has insisted his focus is purely on Fulham and has dismissed any notion of the Blues' job.

He told GetWestLondon: "My job is a really important job, the job is really important for Chelsea too but I cannot make any comment, I must be focused.

"I am talking about my players being focused and concentrated, and I must be the same in my job.

"I am focused and thinking only about Fulham."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-only-concentrated-fulham-14422166

WhiteJC

Three Players to Watch: Matchday 38 vs. Queen's Park Rangers
Will Fulham's Southwest London neighbors spoil their historic run of form?

In what was probably their most challenging fixture yet from a performance standpoint, Fulham was able to snatch victory from the jaws of a worse outcome. They didn't play with the same crispness as in previous outings, but can you blame them after so many outstanding performances beforehand? Derby just always has seemed to be Fulham's bogey team since their time back in the Championship and for them to finally get out of Pride Park alive with three points is enough satisfaction for everyone.

Still, the warning signs might finally begin to show for a football club that has been riding such a massive wave of good fortune. Let me just go ahead and put my tweet up from this week as a bit of a recap.

This is not to tell anyone who supports the club to get off of cloud nine or think that the club is downright terrible. This is still a very good side who should be finishing off the season on a high note considering what is in front of them and where they stand in the league table. My concern is seeing everyone dreaming of their glorious return back to the Premier League when the job hasn't been done just yet.

My other point in all this is Fulham's unbeaten run is now 15 games. It is absolutely difficult to maintain such a fantastic vein of form all the way to the end and it doesn't matter who they come up against. Every opponent Fulham will face is going to put their best foot forward for many reasons. In this latest example, Queen's Park Rangers would not love it more than to rub it in our faces and shout the "who are ya" chant louder than they ever had all season.

Because bluntly, this is another wasted campaign for the hoops. They are on pace to finish in the bottom half of the Championship for a third consecutive season after flirting with becoming a consistent Premier League club in the earlier part of the decade. Along with that, everyone and their relatives cannot wait to see manager Iain Holloway go as he just hasn't brought any form of improvement in results. But what if I were to tell you that this club isn't performing as bad as they really are?

Sure, having just Matt Smith and Conor Washington as your most dependable forwards is enough to make them warded off from ever finishing in the top half of the league, let alone a playoff place. But overall, QPR's shot rates are not that dissimilar from Fulham's. While Fulham is fourth-best in the league with 13.8 shots per 90 minutes, the Hoops are actually better with 14.0 shots per 90 minutes. On the other end, only decimal points separate Fulham from Rangers' 12.3 shots per 90 minutes against. Overall, that leads to a 49.8 to 47.9 expected goals advantage throughout the course of the season. However, Holloway's team is actually seeing his squad being outscored 41-55 instead.

Shot quality can certainly play a factor to this, as it indicates that the hoops are expected to convert less than 10% of their total shots into goals. Nonetheless, this is a team that has positive traits in the way they play. They just have not been getting enough bounces to allow them to claim more victories. In the long run, there really isn't much that needs to be fixed before Queens Park Rangers begin to be a legitimate club. Regardless if this is a derby or not, that is why today's opponents should be taken seriously.

On that note, here are three players to watch from the other side of the dugout at Craven Cottage.

Jake Bidwell

First up is the first of two of QPR's usual starters at wingback in Holloway's 3-5-2 formation. However, they have lately tried out different systems such as a 4-3-3 and a 4-4-1-1 to see if that could lead to better results. While that has not been the case, Jake Bidwell has had to play multiple positions and has handled them well in his second year with the club. Beforehand, the former Everton Academy product was plying his trade with Brentford in which he was making his first professional appearances.

That being said, Bidwell has shown that he is better suited further back up the pitch where his lack of mobility but strength in quality crosses can shine through the best. In fact, his 31.8% accuracy in such passes is among the best in the league. Along with Luke Freeman, you'll be seeing constant balls being whipped in by Bidwell all day, so Fulham will have to be ready to defend such passes from connecting and not giving time and space for them to come off well.

Pawel Wszolek

Next up is QPR's other wing back in Pawel Wszolek. Like Bidwell, Wszolek is a young 25-year old with a bright future and great attacking passing skills. Unlike Bidwell, Wszolek likes to be more adventurous by attacking the opposition on the dribble.

It certainly helps that the Polish International started his career in Serie A with Sampdoria before moving over to the Championship. But after failing to make the first team on a regular basis, Wszolek went on loan with a Verona side that failed to avoid relegation in 2015/16. If he were to complete the full 90 minutes today, this will officially become the most minutes he has played in a league campaign while playing in the five biggest countries in European club football.

Nedum Onuoha
All data from whoscored.com

Lastly, we take a look at the club captain and football league mainstay, Nedum Onuoha. It's a bit odd that today's preview features heavily on defenders more so than Rangers' attack, but that was fully taken care of the last time we previewed them.

At 31, it is quite clear Onuoha's best days are behind him. That being said, this could be his most well-rounded season since 2013/14 when he guided the club towards promotion back to the Premier League. That all being said, Onuoha's never been known for being a ball playing center back, nor one that will go in and attack the ball away from the opposition like teammate Jack Robinson does. Instead, he's always played a positionally sound game in hopes that the men he marks every matchday don't go past him. Such a style works for someone like Tim Ream and in 2018, not much is going to change with how Onuoha plays either. But if Fulham's attacking trio can beat him with speed, it might be curtains for him.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/3/17/17128322/three-players-to-watch-matchday-38-vs-queens-park-rangers

WhiteJC

QPR boss says he's not concerned by the threat of Fulham starlet Ryan Sessegnon

The 17-year-old has arguably been the Championship's best player this term, but Ollie says it's important that the youngster doesn't get carried away with all of the hype around him.

Ian Holloway has backed defender Darnell Furlong to get the better of Fulham starlet Ryan Sessegnon at Craven Cottage today.

The 17-year-old has arguably been the Championship's best player this term, but Ollie says it's important that the youngster doesn't get carried away with all of the hype around him.

Asked if he's concerned about the threat of Sessegnon, Holloway said: "No, (Darnell) Furlong's in good enough form to deal with him.

"That's his life though isn't it? We're already talking about Eze after what, two or three games? It's his life.

"Everybody's instant aren't they, but he's got a lot of work to do yet. He's a good player, he's scored 14 goals; he was scoring from full-back they've put him up front now so well done to them.

"How long will they have him? Who knows, it's none of my business but that's life isn't it."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qpr-ryan-sessegnon-fulham-holloway-14422805

WhiteJC

Fulham boss not thinking about making history by going 16 games unbeaten with win over QPR

If the Whites avoid defeat it will set a new record of 16 games unbeaten at the club

Slavisa Jokanovic insists a chance of breaking Fulham's record of unbeaten games isn't an extra incentive heading into their west London derby with QPR.

If Fulham were to avoid defeat, they'd beat the 15-game record set by themselves and Keevin Keegan's side in the 90s, but Jokanovic isn't thinking about any of that ahead of the game.

It's been a stunning run from the Cottagers, who haven't lost since a 1-0 defeat at Sunderland all the way back in December - since then they've taken 39 points and charged into contention for automatic promotion.

Victory against west London rivals QPR would be the perfect way to achieve that feat, but Jokanovic insists his side can only be satisfied by taking three points from the derby.

He said: "No, I am thinking only about three points and that we are focused and concentrated.

"At the end, it's nice, it's great for the newspapers but for us it's less important, we can be satisfied only if we finish the game with three points.

"If not, we cannot be completely satisfied, it depends on different situation and depends on the result, we must keep going and push strong to try and finish at highest possible level."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-not-thinking-making-14422624

WhiteJC

QPR boss Holloway insists Furlong can deal with Sessegnon

Ian Holloway has backed in-form QPR defender Darnell Furlong to deal with Fulham sensation Ryan Sessegnon in today's derby at Craven Cottage.

Right-back Furlong, 22, has impressed since being recalled to the Rangers side and faces a major test up against Sessegnon.

The 17-year-old has scored 14 goals for Fulham this season and attracted plenty of interest from top Premier League clubs.

But Holloway insists no special plan has been made to subdue Sessegnon.

"No. Furlong's in good enough form to deal with him," the Rangers manager declared.

"Darnell is getting better and better all the time. As a defender, you could put your house on him. You could put your life on him, because he never, ever gives up. He's always positive, no matter what.

"His defensive qualities, I don't think there are many limits to him. He's so athletic. It's just about him realising that and taking the mantle – and that's not easy when you're only 22."

The threat of Sessegnon is potentially Furlong's most difficult examination since coming up against Alexis Sanchez in a game against Arsenal three years ago in only Furlong's second senior appearance for QPR.

Since then Furlong, whose father Paul was a key player for the R's during Holloway's first spell as manager at Loftus Road, has
has three spells out on loan and faced a tough battle to secure a regular first-team place.

But Holloway is convinced he can maintain his recent form.

"He's not a flash in the pan. The club has got him right, I believe," Holloway said.

"He's had to earn it, because he's been out on loan a few times and he's always been one who has been overlooked. But at the moment you can't ignore him.

"I'm very proud of the boy. I think he comes from fantastic stock. He's been very well educated in his football and his life. The young man he is, he's someone I see as a leader.

"How he deals with disappointment is exactly as it should be. He never lets it show, always keeps going and is so determined.

"I've got fantastic hopes and aspirations for that young man. That's the sort of person we want at the club."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/17032018-football-qpr-fulham-darnell-furlong-ryan-sessegnon