watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham v Spurs - Handball!!

Started by Stoneleigh Loyalist, April 12, 2018, 01:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I was there for the famous Vic Keeble goal for Newcastle in 1956, but how many of you 'Golden Oldies' remember the equally controversial handball incident in the early 60s.
We were visited by the Double winning Spurs team and gave them a really good game.
A Fulham pile driver at the Hammersmith end was goal bound when the hand of the Spurs fullback (Peter Baker?) shot up and punched the ball over the bar goalkeeper style.
Everyone saw it, it was even in the Press the next day, but the Ref and linesmen completely
missed it .!!
The Spurs Captain, Danny  Blanchflower was always amusing and in a post match interview said 'I have always said that two goalkeepers are better than one'.

As a bit of light relief from our present nail biting situation, how many of you remember the year and final score?  I don't.

Kentish Gent

This is probably tosh, but I think this may have been my first Fulham game, although not sure what year (1962?), or who scored for us (Johnny Key?) - and even what the final score was (1-1?). Help us out someone! What I do know is that I fell instantly in love with FFC, and remain so more than 50 years on.......

Stoneleigh Loyalist

The Spurs Double was in 1961 so it could well have been 1962.
I did not say so above, but I felt the final score was 1-1.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Me again.

It was 1962 and our scorer was Brian O'Connell.

The attendance was 43,300 !!

Dodgin

Brian best known as Pat assume he still lives down in Box Hill, he managed Epsom and Ewell for quite a few years. Nice to see his name again

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Pat O'Connell managed Epsom &Ewell in the comparatively Glory Days when we first moved to Stoneleigh in the 1970s.

They had a good local ground in those days , but slipped away after that.

win-dup

Yep I was there, behind the goal. The most blatant handball I've ever seen. Though we were robbed it was a cracking game against a wonderful Spurs side with the great Cliff Jones at outside right.

bog

The same year we got to Wembley in 1975 Pat took Epson & Ewell there in the final of the FA Vase. I met Pat back when he was playing for us. A very nice chap. Played in the '62 semi at Villa Park. I was at the game when Baker punched the ball over the bar....grr. 

092.gif