watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fairly close to the blueprint in how to play against us

Started by BedsFFC, April 14, 2018, 11:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

The only thing missing was being stronger in the tackle.

To beat us. Stopping us playing is not enough. Nowadays, we will always make chances and always score. 

I like looking at tactics and whilst I was so frustrated today, I have to give them credit. I don't know if this makes sense, but many of Brentford's attacking plans were clearly starting when we had the ball. They'd move us into areas of the pitch. They clearly knew when moves would probably break down and that's when they looked to exploit it. It wasn't just packing the final 3rd and breaking fast.

Minute 60 I would have taken the draw. It's my only consolation.

I don't think we are tired. Mitro, TC and Targett have only played half a season. When teams get it right, we do look leggy, panicked and make mistakes. Annoyingly, qpr was the last time. I think if we had played Villa today, you would have seen us at our scintillating best.
Another consolation is the qpr game gave us a real kick up the arse.

Brentford were so poor against Cardiff a few backs. They got so bullied that night. Seeing that performance shows their weakness.

I think we just hope for one more twist.

Anyway, as that crinkly sour-faced old XXXX of a manager said....Now, we can be the Hunters

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

HV71

Agree good post . My only disagreement with your analysis is that the three ( relatively ever present or injured ) midfield do look a bit tired and leggy. If the engine room splutters it is very difficult to be at your best. - it isn't their fault they work their socks off every game.

BedsFFC

Sorry, I know its a bit sad to respond to your own post..."Look at me, look at me" but, just to say that although Brentford got it nearly right, it doesn't follow that it's just a case of copying that model.

For example, let's imagine we played Cardiff. They might want to copy that but they just couldn't. Yes, they could press high but once they won possession they would be one dimensional and I think we would cope with that. It's ok knowing what to do against us, it's entirely another thing to have the personnel and putting into practice.

According to a mate that was there, Cardiff looked very nervous. They apparently had a late bombardment and Norwich couldn't cope. But, he felt much of that was down to the fact they didn't take advantage of the earlier chances.

I worry that Forest are a bit soft and maybe perfect fodder for Cardiff. Hull and derby are another story and that may be our hope.

All is not lost, neither in automatic or via the playoffs (although Boro worry me)

Stevieboy

Annoyingly we were undone with Brentford adopting the Cardiff style of play....hoof it into the box and see what happens!!
See how much it meant to the fans  by their reaction to the goal....you'd think they had just clinched promotion......and we finally noticed they were here!!
The point doesn't do either of us any favours though....

Carborundum

Agree with OP.  Just the right amount of pressing, hunting in packs and a decent striker up front proving the threat.  Very even game, with ebb and flow. 

TXWhite

Yes - also agree. Brentford, PNE and Bristol City the three teams who have impressed me most at CC this year. All three adopted the same style to good effect. Hoping we don't face any of them in the playoffs, should it come to that.

Jimsbeerbelly

Millwall next, who deploy the exact same tactics. Let that sink in for a while.

Whitesideup

While I agree mostly with the post, I thought second half we coped much better with them. For me, Kebano made a difference, and we started to look much more dangerous when in possession. We also were less afraid to get it quickly up to Mitrovic who looked as if he had more support. Clearly our goal added to the urgency with which Brentford moved the ball, and it was largely failing. There were quite a few loose passes we were picking up, and we had a couple of excellent opportunities.

But Brentford are a good footballing team. We have to give them some credit as well, particularly first half, and they really deserved a lead. I thought their 7, Jozefoon, looked really sharp first half, but faded a bit. 

BedsFFC

Quote from: TXWhite on April 15, 2018, 03:28:49 PM
Yes - also agree. Brentford, PNE and Bristol City the three teams who have impressed me most at CC this year. All three adopted the same style to good effect. Hoping we don't face any of them in the playoffs, should it come to that.
Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on April 15, 2018, 03:45:50 PM
Millwall?

Brentfords season's possesion stats are just below ours.

Millwall's are lower than cardiff. If i misunderstood, im sorry. But millwall will certainly not be like Brentford

TXWhite

Quote from: BedsFFC on April 15, 2018, 05:36:01 PM
Millwall?

Millwall's are lower than cardiff. If i misunderstood, im sorry. But millwall will certainly not be like Brentford

Yeah me too. We've actually dealt with ugly football fairly well this season - we've developed some mettle. No doubt Millwall will be tough, but Brentford for me was the tougher game

VancouverWhite

Brentford came out strong and played a great game.  No shame in playing to a draw against a side that had a perfect game plan and came out guns blazing. 

They will be a tough out for anyone if they get in... doesn't look like they will though, too many teams to jump.

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: BedsFFC on April 15, 2018, 05:36:01 PM
Millwall?

Sorry, I meant lumping balls into the box, hitting long passes to quick, pacey wingers, with a physical presence.

Twig

Quote from: Whitesideup on April 15, 2018, 04:00:20 PM
While I agree mostly with the post, I thought second half we coped much better with them. For me, Kebano made a difference, and we started to look much more dangerous when in possession. We also were less afraid to get it quickly up to Mitrovic who looked as if he had more support. Clearly our goal added to the urgency with which Brentford moved the ball, and it was largely failing. There were quite a few loose passes we were picking up, and we had a couple of excellent opportunities.

But Brentford are a good footballing team. We have to give them some credit as well, particularly first half, and they really deserved a lead. I thought their 7, Jozefoon, looked really sharp first half, but faded a bit. 

Absolutely agree that the introduction of Kebano made a big difference.  Piazon was ineffective.  Kebano was no game changer but our shape looked better and we were more balanced.