watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Playoff Opposition....

Started by LVBPTS, April 16, 2018, 10:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LVBPTS

....by my reckoning, im predicting either Millwall or Preston to finish 6th...not sure who i would prefer to play out of them but leaning more towards the less physical Millwall and look to play them off the park...anyone else want to make a prediction?
Supporter since 2000

hovewhite

Don't want to think about it!

Andy S

The play offs were and always will be a lottery. We were the best team going in to the playoffs last time but lost it in the first leg when Reading did a number on us. Huddersfield the weakest team were promoted on Penalties. However they did finish third. so no complaints

Woolly Mammoth

I am hoping desperately that the play offs will not be necessary.
However, in the likelihood that they could be. I am not really bothered who we meet, why should I be.
If we are good enough we will beat whoever stands in our way.
If we do not, I expect there will be a post mortem.
Nevertheless, no point in worrying about worrying, there are three more matches to play yet, more twists and turns.
Relax and enjoy the spectacle of the play offs, if that's what it comes to.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Riversider

Vital that we win 2 of our last 3 games to grab 3rd spot, in an ideal world we need Villa to play Boro in the play offs , and us to play whoever finishes 6th, very very important that we avoid either Bruce or Pulis over two legs as I wouldn't rate our chances at all,
I hate the play offs and I'm deflated by the prospect of going in to them and having a long season extended further, I've only ever missed one play off game (Grimsby away) and in truth we've been pretty **it in every play off game that I've seen,
The Play Offs are all about peaking at the right time and for my money we "peaked" in February with those two games against Wolves and Villa, performance wise we haven't hit those heights since , in both those games it was all about winning from Jokanovic ever since the QPR game it's been about defending what we've got with some bizarre defensive substitutions,  for my money we look a different side when we play in a positive manner for 90 minutes, acting defensively sends out a weak message to the opposition and invites them on to us as has been demonstrated a lot recently,
Jokanovic needs to get a positive mind set back on for these potentially 6 further games, you won't win at Wembley (If we get there) with a negative mindset,  we would have to be positive from the first minute to the last that's the attitude that got us to this position in the first place.

Carborundum

Whilst we can't get Cardiff in the play off semi finals (I.e.in the unlikely event Villa overtake us both), there are no less than eight clubs we could get.  Goodness only knows how it will all shake out.  Brentford would be interesting, probably a bit of a long shot though.  Villa would be good, but for that to happen they have to lose all their games and Derby win all theirs. 

All on the premise we don't get automatic promotion.  We still might.

hovewhite

I hate playoff games,I do think that we have peaked, players look leggy ,nervous.
Against pulis and Bruce would not want there teams in the s/f as over 2legs they could beat us playing a reading type game

BedsFFC

I am not convinced about this leggy tiredness thing.

Early in the season, people were saying we didn't look fit.

We have a certain arrogance about us. We are very good at what we are good at. Teams that play to beat us, usually lose. Teams that play to stop us and don't mind drawing, usually don't make us look so good. The ones we really need to worry about are the ones that get the mix perfectly right.

I would say Boro away, qpr home and brentford home and away (there is surely more) nearly got the mix perfect. I'm going to take a guess that after these performances, some people said we looked a bit panicky and tired.

Honestly, if I had the choice of who to play in play offs, it would be Wolves & Villa..

ok, and Burton and Ipswich

grandad

Our problem is having to play the same 10 starters for most of our games this year. Only the RW position have we changed starters. Of the 10 starters we do not have any better players than them except to come on as a sub. We do not have quality players to take the places of Targett, Ream, McDonald, Cairney, Sessegnon & Mitrovic to give them a break.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Woolly Mammoth

All this talk about peaking is vastly exaggerated.
Villa have already peaked haven't they, as have Borough and Bristol City and Sheffield Utd.
Derby County and PNE don't know how to peak, as for Millwall and Brentford, when push comes to shove we will beat them over two legs, one leg or even three legs. We should be no more leggy than anyone else, the adrenaline will take us over the line.
So there you are it's all covered nothing to worry about. Relax and have a beer.

Never forget your Roots.

Riversider

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 16, 2018, 03:56:41 PM
Villa have already peaked haven't they, as have Borough and Bristol City and Sheffield Utd.
Derby County and PNE don't know how to peak, as for Millwall and Brentford, when push comes to shove we will beat them over two legs, one leg or even three legs. We should be no more leggy than anyone else, the adrenaline will take us over the line.
So there you are it's all covered nothing to worry about. Relax and have a beer.

Can't agree with your view on Villa I think they are simmering away just in time for the play offs , Kodjia has only just returned for them and is a vital player to their cause, Grealish missed a large part of the season  and is on fire at the moment  and playing out of his skin,
You can almost certainly say that Hutton, Terry, Jedinak and Snodgrass wouldn't freeze at Wembley , then throw in Adomah,  Grabban and El Mohamady and they've got the full package and Tuanzebe is the best opposition player that I've seen this season,
Add in Steve Bruce who has been there, seen it and done it, and not forgetting at least 40,000 vocal supporters (that don't need clappers) and you can start to see why I was pig sick on Saturday when Cardiff won and Brentford scored !
I have no faith in us in the play offs, if anybody can make us strong a case for us as I've just made for Aston Villa please feel free to step forward and make an uplifting case to raise my spirits, our performances have been in decline since the 46th minute of the QPR game it's now vital we get that zest and sparkle back, but how ?

Stevieboy

At the end of the day all the playoffs are are 3 games.
3 games against teams we have beaten and quite frankly are better than.
Slav has to get the boys motivated and in the right mindset......I just hope none of the team read this message board.......would be so demotivating!!!
Luckily the playoffs are immaterial as we WILL go up automatically........there's magic at The Cottage....keep believing.....remember the Europa League, every game we were up against it but the real Fulham spirit kept us going.....and will again. COYW.  049:gif 049:gif 049:gif

Carborundum

Quote from: Riversider on April 16, 2018, 05:23:48 PM
if anybody can make us strong a case for us as I've just made for Aston Villa please feel free to step forward and make an uplifting case to raise my spirits, our performances have been in decline since the 46th minute of the QPR game it's now vital we get that zest and sparkle back, but how ?
We have only conceded one goal since we played QPR.  We beat Aston Villa last time we played them.  We have more points. Some of the players you cite looked rather like liabilities to me. Of the good ones Kodjia's no Mitrovic.  Elmohammady no Sessegnon.  They play a deep defensive line to accommodate an aging egoist who doesn't want to be caught out by pace.  Wembley is a big pitch.  We would be fine.

Woolly Mammoth

Can't agree with your view on Villa I think they are simmering away just in time for the play offs , Kodjia has only just returned for them and is a vital player to their cause, Grealish missed a large part of the season  and is on fire at the moment  and playing out of his skin,
You can almost certainly say that Hutton, Terry, Jedinak and Snodgrass wouldn't freeze at Wembley , then throw in Adomah,  Grabban and El Mohamady and they've got the full package and Tuanzebe is the best opposition player that I've seen this season,
Add in Steve Bruce who has been there, seen it and done it, and not forgetting at least 40,000 vocal supporters (that don't need clappers) and you can start to see why I was pig sick on Saturday when Cardiff won and Brentford scored !
I have no faith in us in the play offs, if anybody can make us strong a case for us as I've just made for Aston Villa please feel free to step forward and make an uplifting case to raise my spirits, our performances have been in decline since the 46th minute of the QPR game it's now vital we get that zest and sparkle back, but how ?

You have made me feel depressed again, just as I was recovering from the last minute goal on Saturday evening.

Never forget your Roots.

Nero

we will finish 2nd on goal difference to really wind old Colin up, you heard it here first

KJS

Quote from: Stevieboy on April 16, 2018, 05:39:40 PM
At the end of the day all the playoffs are are 3 games.
Slav has to get the boys motivated and in the right mindset......I just hope none of the team read this message board.......would be so demotivating!!!
Luckily the playoffs are immaterial as we WILL go up automatically........there's magic at The Cottage....keep believing.....remember the Europa League, every game we were up against it but the real Fulham spirit kept us going.....and will again. COYW.  049:gif 049:gif 049:gif

Totally agree Stevieboy as we said during our European run "Keep The Faith"

KJS

Milo

Villa were pretty shambolic on TV.

davew

When did we beat Brentford, I must have missed that match?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

KJS

Quote from: davew on April 16, 2018, 07:32:57 PM

When did we beat Brentford, I must have missed that match?

Bentford aren't in the Play Offs as it stands