watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (20/04/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 20, 2018, 07:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

3 goals, 3 assists: The Fulham ace that QPR should be looking to lure across London this summer

Ian Holloway is in a luxurious position right now, with his Queens Park Rangers side in mid-table and away from the threat of relegation in the Sky Bet Championship.

It's been a steady 2017/18 campaign at Loftus Road, but Holloway will be looking ahead to the summer and identifying a way he can get his side challenging further up the Championship table.

Of course, a shrewd summer of transfer business will be key to progression on the field. One place we believe that QPR could look to raid is across London at Fulham, who could well be bound for the Premier League.

Should they gain promotion, one player we believe Slavisa Jokanovic will not look to take with him is Neeskens Kebano, who is the latest feature of our FLW Spotlight:

Kebano has featured on 26 occasions for Fulham this season, with the 26-year-old midfielder scoring three goals and registering a further three assists for the Cottagers.

The positive midfielder has averaged 1.3 shots per game, as well a single dribble every time he takes to the field.

In possession, Kebano completes his passes at 79.4%.

The Verdict

Kebano is a tricky midfielder, who might struggle for a little consistency in the Championship, but could still be a good addition to QPR's squad.

If Fulham are promoted, you could see Jokanovic offloading the 26-year-old, which if he does, could open the door for QPR to swoop.

Holloway's side need an extra edge going forwards next season, which Kebano could certainly bring.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-goals-3-assists-the-fulham-ace-that-qpr-should-be-looking-to-lure-across-london-this-summer/

WhiteJC

Millwall's Harris: 'We want The Den loud and hostile – it does make a difference'

NEIL Harris is calling on the Millwall fans to make The Den "loud and hostile" as the Lions go head-to-head with London rivals Fulham on Friday night.

Millwall boast a 17-game unbeaten league run, but will come up against the only side in England on a longer sequence without defeat. Fulham haven't lost in 21 games and since then have moved from 12th to third in the Championship table, a point off Cardiff.

Millwall are back at The Den after two away games. More than 16,000 fans watched their two previous home fixtures, against Bristol City and Nottingham Forest.

Fulham are set to bring 2,000 fans with them across London to see if their team can move into second place in the Championship.

Harris praised Millwall fans for their support last Saturday against Sheffield United, when they often could be heard over more than 25,000 home supporterss at Bramall Lane.

Despite the game being moved to Friday night, making it more difficult to attend, and live coverage on Sky Sports, it's set to be another sell-out.

"The atmospheres recently have been brilliant," Harris said. "Saturday was a great atmosphere to be involved in.  I thought the Sheffield United fans were excellent and our fans were top drawer again, they're absolutely loving it at the moment.

"The Den in recent weeks, Bristol City Nottingham Forest, those games in particular, were great atmospheres.

"This will be no different, Friday night at The Den under the lights and live on Sky. It doesn't get better than that for a Millwall team.

"We need it every bit as loud and hostile as it has been in recent weeks. It does make a difference. They are the best games for Millwall players to play in, the big games that really matter.

"Forty-three games gone in the league and we are in sixth place in the Championship, that's some effort by the players.

"I'm telling the players to enjoy it, and they are. The fans have got to do the same – come and enjoy it."

https://www.newsatden.co.uk/66943-66943.html

WhiteJC

Behind Enemy Lines: Fulham

MILLWALL host Fulham on Friday, with the two sides having the two longest unbeaten runs in English football.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side head to a sold-out Den under the lights, hoping to keep their automatic promotion hopes alive.

The Lions can heap the pressure on Middlesbrough and Derby with a win, ahead of their clash on Saturday.

Millwall lost 1-0 to Fulham at Craven Cottage in November when they had numerous chances but failed to take them as the hosts won through an Oliver Norwood penalty.

Lucas Ball spoke to Fulham fan Daniel Smith this week.

Twitter: @Fulham_Focus

Why do you support Fulham?

It's a family tradition. My grandad started it all off in the '40s and then passed it through the generations to my mum, me, my sister and now my two eldest kids have season tickets. My first game was when I was two years old. We lost to Peterborough 1-0 at the Cottage, I don't remember it but I can't complain that I wasn't warned about what I was getting myself into!

It's quite funny explaining that to a Millwall supporter. I was born in Guys Hospital and grew up and went to school in Bermondsey. I was always down the Blue or Surrey Quays as a teenager. Still don't live that far away, to be fair.

My first job was working halfway down Surrey Canal Road, too, so I know Millwall as a club very well and had it not been for family, I probably would be a Millwall fan based on geography and who all my mates supported.

What's been your favourite season following the west London side?

Pretty easy for fans growing up who are the same sort of age as me. I think it's common for fans to regard the era when they were a teenage fan, starting to understand what it was all about, as their favourite team/season.

Luckily for me that was the last time we were promoted to the Premier League. The football we played was beautiful to watch and the manager we appointed, Jean Tigana, to spearhead the charge was always three steps ahead of everyone else.

He brought a new culture to English football at this level, no longer just about guts, sweat and black eyes. He changed the mentality of our football club and never left any stones unturned. He even had the players' teeth examined as a way of determining how good their diet and personal hygiene was. After all, if you can't be arsed to look after your teeth properly, I'm not sure you will have the determination to look after the ball!

The football you saw take Swansea to the Premier League a few years back, the way a few teams play now like Wolves, Brentford and ourselves, it wasn't really heard of back in 2000. We had the perfect blend of experience, leadership, steel, quality and pace. It was, for many fans, the best season we've ever had and that's including making it to the Europa League final.

There was just something about the way we did it, very stylish ending with 101 points and Louis Saha up top, whom most Fulham fans would regard as this division's best-ever player. Maybe a tad biased but that was the best individual season I've ever experienced from a player in a Fulham shirt and of course he went onto play for Manchester United.

Do you expect Fulham to get automatic promotion?

I hope so. I believed up until the 94th minute against Brentford last weekend that we were going to do it [before Brentford equalised].

But Colin [Neil Warnock] and Cardiff pulled it out of the bag away to Norwich and I think that showed in our performance during the late kick-off. I think we were all expecting Norwich to do us a favour like they did beating Aston Villa a couple of weeks ago. But it wasn't to be and now we've left ourselves a real tough task.

We need Cardiff to drop points in two of their remaining four games as well as us winning our remaining three. It's a big ask since you are unbeaten in 17 and the other two [Sunderland and Birmingham] are fighting in a relegation battle still.

Before Norwich and Cardiff kicked off at 3pm last Saturday I rated our chances of finishing second at 80 per cent, now I rate them at 35 per cent.

Incredible really because Cardiff were drawing with five minutes to go and we threw it away in the final seconds. Five minutes is a long time in football

Then we turn to the play-offs. Fulham have been involved in the playoffs three times, and we are yet to win a game. Last season we were in your shoes, coming out of nowhere like a train with no one being able to stop us.

We landed in sixth as Leeds were falling apart again (thought you might like that!) And we remained there for the last two or three games, going into the play-offs as red-hot favourites.

Fulham have always been a team that does better when they are the underdogs, chasing the pack with nothing to lose. When we get there, we seem to choke and sadly that's always been the case. So I wouldn't be confident going into what would be a lottery. I think the home advantage would definitely help and unbeaten in 21, you would fancy yourself to beat anyone over two legs...but this is Fulham.

What has been behind this unbeaten run?

A few things have happened to be honest. It's impossible to pinpoint one thing.

Niggly injuries that were preventing us getting a regular team together hadn't helped. Tom Cairney was missing for ages and since he's come back and been reunited in the midfield trio alongside Kevin McDonald and Stefan Johansen, we now dominate the middle of the park again.

Goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli came in at the start of this run and has made crucial saves at big moments in games, games we would have lost if he didn't and he is a big improvement on David Button whose confidence had gone to pot.

The departure of our stat man Craig Kline who was involved with transfers. Jokanovic and Kline did not get on and the whole atmosphere and expression the team played with before he left compared to now is like Jekyll and Hyde.

Many fans feared Joka would eventually walk because he wasn't getting the players he needed and, dare I say it, he appeared to be making a point to the owners by not playing some of Kline's signings. Eventually around December time, Kline left, these signings I'm referring to were shipped out and we ended up signing Cyrus Christie, Matt Targett and Aleksandar Mitrovic. The latter two are seen as two of the best signings we've ever made given the timing and impact they've had on the side. No wonder our manager looks a different person on the touchline now.

I think if push came to shove, you've got to say that Targett and Mitrovic are the deciding factors. Both added what was lacking and are the missing pieces from the jigsaw.

Targett is the best and most complete left-back I've seen for Fulham and it's allowed Ryan Sessegnon to move forward where he's more dangerous. I think you all know the qualities of Mitrovic and 10 goals in 11 games says it all for me, he'll be the best striker your defence has played against all season.

It's just a shame, like you, that these runs have started so late. We should be walking away with second and you probably feel the same about sixth place right now.

Tell me about it. So those players you've mentioned are Jokanovic's danger men?

I thought that Millwall feared no foe?

You can't leave Sessegnon unmarked in the box. He's just won all five gongs at the EFL Awards and has 14 goals this season at just 17 years of age. In fairness, you won't find many Fulham fans who feel he deserved player of the season, certainly young player but he's been found out a little of late and is still developing and learning his trade. But he will be an England international before long, he could possibly even be on the plane to Russia if we finish strongly.

Mitrovic is an obvious one. He isn't fast but I think the word 'beast' describes him perfectly. Add to that the finesse of a Premier League player and he really is a handful for any centre-half in this division. We were very lucky to get him on loan and if we go up, he would be the signing of the season in my opinion. A bit like Steve Morison does for you, his best asset is the space he creates for others and the link-up play (I'm a big fan of Morison, by the way.)

Then you've got Cairney, who's our talisman. Stop Cairney and you nullify most of our attacks. He has a peach of a left foot but only has the one peg, no right foot whatsoever and he also never shoots which is why I'm not as convinced as others that he's of Premier League quality. But he's certainly one of the very best in the Championship.

Which Millwall players will Fulham be keeping a close eye on?

You tell me, haha!

Although he doesn't get that many goals considering he's a striker, I'd say Morison. The way he links up with through-balls and knock-downs for those around him causes most teams problems. The thing is, you won't have the ball for large chunks of the game so you will need him to protect the ball when you do have it just to give your lads a breather.

I know Millwall work very hard and are an industrious side but running around for 90 minutes against us is probably not a good idea. However, press us high up the pitch and we tend to be a bit sloppier in possession. But when teams fail to press in packs and in the right areas, we just pass the ball for fun and leave the opposition running around like headless chickens.

I'm not a big fan of stats, they're a load of nonsense for me, but it's been the case a few times in the past couple of seasons where we've registered more passes in games than Barcelona.

Shout out to Shaun Hutchinson and Ryan Tunnicliffe as former players. They tend to come back to haunt us. Neither made much of an impression with us but I suppose that's generally the type of scenario this would happen in.

What's your predicted starting XI and formation?

Well, like all good sides you can pretty much name the 11 every week.

We always play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, however you like to interpret it. The midfield three tend to play close together in triangles with Mitrovic as our target man. The two out wide cut in to support him and the full-backs overlap.

Our tactics rarely change, although if there is a tactical switch it's normally personnel over formation.

The only position you wouldn't put your mortgage on is the right-wing. It could be any of Floyd Ayite, Lucas Piazon, Neeskens Kebano or Sheyi Ojo. The other 10 I expect to be unchanged.

4-3-3

Bettinelli; Fredericks, Odoi, Ream, Targett; Johansen, McDonald, Cairney; Ojo, Mitrovic, Sessegnon.

Finally, a score prediction?

Fulham – unbeaten in 21

Millwall – unbeaten in 17

...draw anyone?!

I think what's fascinating about Friday is that both teams have the opportunity to put right the dropped points and missed opportunities from last weekend very early. We play before anyone else which means we can both put the pressure on our respective rivals who will no doubt be watching. I don't think a draw does either team any good now so both will be going for it.

At the same time, would the players subconsciously be worrying about losing their unbeaten run? It's a fascinating proposition and that's why we love the Championship.

I'm under no illusions that this game will be easy. I picked out Millwall with 12 games to go as the fixture most likely to end our unbeaten run but deep down I believe we will see out the season unbeaten.

I'm living in hope more than anything, so...

Head says Millwall 1-1 Fulham

Heart says Millwall 1-2 Fulham

See you at the Den. COYW!

https://www.newsatden.co.uk/66958-behind-enemy-lines-fulham-2.html

WhiteJC

3 stars Fulham should go for if Ryan Sessegnon leaves

Fulham have got an important few months ahead as regards to their short to medium-term future.

The men from Craven Cottage have had another strong campaign with great attacking football on display and a top two place is within sight.

However, if they are pipped by Cardiff they will end up in the play-off mix once again and so it's safe to say things are far from certain for the Lilywhites right now.

Indeed, it's also an important period because they'll be looking to keep their best players at the club ahead of the new campaign with Ryan Sessegnon surely set to attract interest.

The young left-sided player has had another brilliant season and if Fulham do end up having to sell him, it's going to be hard for them to try and find a replacement.

With that said, then, here are three players we think could do the job...

Adama Traore

Adama Traore has proven himself to be a very bright attacking winger this season and would surely relish the chance of playing in a dynamic Fulham side.

This might only work if the Cottagers go up and Middlesbrough do not but Fulham would surely have the money to pull it off from any Sessegnon sale.

He's an exciting talent who could offer similar in goals and assists.

Harry Wilson

Harry Wilson is a player who has caught the eye on loan at Hull City this season and he'll certainly be looking to play more next season.

Liverpool might not be able to offer him that, though, and so the likes of Fulham could profit.

Wilson might not have the potential of Sessegnon – few in Europe do – but that is not to see that this young winger doesn't have a bit about him.

He looks hungry to kick on and Fulham could benefit from that.

Bradley Dack

Bradley Dack is a player whose stock is really rising and it looks as though he'll be a Championship player at the very least next year.

However, Fulham will want to be in the Premier League and it might still be worth giving Dack a shot because he himself is by no means an old-timer.

He's got plenty of tricks and end product out wide and might be a shrewd man to come in and help fill any Sessegnon-shaped void as best the club can.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-stars-fulham-should-go-for-if-ryan-sessegnon-leaves/

WhiteJC

Who is out of contract at Fulham this this summer and when do key men's deals end?

We've compiled a list of when each and every one of Fulham player's contract runs out at the Cottage - here's how long each has left

Fulham seem to be in a good position this summer in terms of contracts - with nearly all their key men tied down to long-term deals at the club.

Tony Khan's policy of tying down players to longer deals, with the extra club option for another year, has seen most of the side tied down to long deals - meaning Fulham are in the best position when it comes to their futures.

However, a number of loan deals do run out in the summer, while one key player's future is still up in the air, with Ryan Fredericks only having a few months remaining on his contract.

Aleksandar Mitrovic, Matt Targett and Cyrus Christie all joined the club in January, while no key players left the Cottage for pastures new.

The Cottagers have done a good job of tying down the vast majorities of their stars to long-term deals, with club options for a further year on most newly-agreed contracts and new signings at the club.

That includes the likes of captain Tom Cairney, Kevin McDonald and Marcus Bettinelli - all who have long term contracts with club options to further extend it, should they wish to do so.

With contracts ending in June and some running all the way through to 2021, the side look in good shape for the future.

Ryan Fredericks - June 2018

Cauley Woodrow - June 2018 (with club option of a further year)

George Williams - June 2018

Loan deals -

Tomas Kalas - May 2018

Lucas Piazon - May 2018

Oliver Norwood - May 2018

Sheyi Ojo - May 2018

Aleksandar Mitrovic - May 2018

Mattt Targett - May 2018

Stefan Johansen - June 2019 (with club option of a further year)

Neeskens Kebano - June 2019 (with club option of a further year)

Kevin McDonald - June 2019 (with club option of a further year)

Floyd Ayite - June 2019 (with club option of a further year)

David Button - June 2019 (with club option of a further year)

Tim Ream - June 2019 (with club option of a further year)

Denis Odoi - June 2019 (with club option of a further year)

Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson - June 2019

Stephen Humphrys - June 2019

Aron Davies - JUne 2019 (with club option of a further year)

Ryan Sessegnon - June 2020 (with club option of a further year)

Steven Sessegnon - June 2020 (with club option of a further year)

Rui Fonte - June 2020 (with club option of a further year)

Ibrahima Cisse - June 2020 (with club option of a further year)

Marcus Bettinelli - June 2020 (with club option of a further year)

Marcelo Djalo - June 2020 (with club option of a further year)

Tayo Edun - June 2020

Luca de la Torre - June 2020

Matt O'Riley - June 2020

Marlon Fossey - June 2020 (club option of a further year)

Tom Cairney - June 2021 (with club option of a further year)

Aboubakar Kamara - June 2021 (with club option of a further year)

Cyrus Christie - June 2021 (with club option of a further year)

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/who-out-of-contract-fulham-14253537

WhiteJC

The True Spirit Of 'Keep Right On' – Fulham to Blues walk

"Twelve men under the age of 45 commit suicide per day. That's 84 per week."

Sunday 6th will undoubtedly be a huge day for relegation fighting Birmingham City. It could potentially be massive at the opposite end of the table too as Fulham strive to take ownership of the second automatic promotion spot. Both teams are likely to throw the kitchen sink at each other, leaving everything out there on the pitch by full time. They won't be the only guys liable to be shattered by 2pm though as there'll be a troop of Fulham fans in the away end that will have just completed a FOUR DAY walk from Craven Cottage to St Andrews. I spoke to organiser Lee Adams and fellow journeyman Bob O'Sullivan to find out why...

Mark: Forgive my ignorance, but what's this all in aid of?

Bob: "In short, a group of Fulham fans are walking from Craven Cottage to St Andrews to highlight the huge increase in the suicide rates of males under 45."

Mark: How did you get involved?

Bob: "I got involved in August last year when 8 Fulham fans walked to Reading. I saw it gathering interest on social media and met up with Lee. I got caught up by his passion and personal journey."

I contacted Lee by phone in order to probe further and as Bob quite rightly points out, the first thing that struck me about the 33 year old father of two was his passion. Within minutes it was clear that Lee is a determined young man with a message that he's spent the last 3 years trying to spread around the country from city to city and stadium to stadium. I began by asking Lee about his motivations.

Lee: "I tried taking my own life 9 years ago and I had nowhere to go. I thought my mates and my family wouldn't accept it and they'd expect me to just sleep it off and keep a stiff upper lip. I didn't know where to turn or what to do. I felt like a burden on people. I'd hit rock bottom but then I found CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably)"

Over the last few years, Lee has walked and cycled to various away grounds in a bid to raise awareness for CALM. Having experienced severe depression himself, Lee set off on a fundraising mission that has seen him raise thousands of pounds for the mental health charity.

Lee: "Last Monday we walked to Reading from Fulham in pouring rain with some Reading fans. It took us 16 hours over night to walk the 51 miles and I genuinely want to get as many Birmingham fans involved as possible. CALM is such a wonderful charity and we can make a real difference."

Mark: What prompted you to appeal to football fans?

Lee: "Twelve men under the age of 45 commit suicide per day. That's 84 per week. I was in the ground and I looked around me at mostly men of a similar age group and I thought, I need to hit football."

Lee has led the charge in putting the word out to fellow supporters as well as those of other clubs and it's not uncommon for away fans and home fans to meet a few miles from the ground before marching to the finish line together.

Lee: "This is not about which team we support, this is about us as blokes and if what we're doing helps just one Birmingham fan then that's massive. The fan power and movement we've created through this is phenomenal, we've got so many people talking. I'd love as many Birmingham fans to join us as possible. In fact, bring a spare Blues shirt for me and I'll stick it on!"

Setting off on Thursday, Lee will be joined by a fleet of Fulham fans as they make their way from Craven Cottage, through Dunstable, up past Daventry and on to Solihull where they hope to be joined by Bluenoses for the last leg of the 113 mile journey.

Lee: "It's going to be a long old walk, we must be absolutely bonkers! I'm looking forward to it, but I'm nervous too because it's so far. We're going to complete it though, whether we like it or not. We're not giving up! I hope that Birmingham fans can meet us and walk with us for the last 6 miles from Solihull to St Andrews. It's going to be a long trek and it's going to be tiring but together both sets of fans can make a real difference"

As a result of their hike from Fulham to Reading, Lee and his cohorts managed to raise a whopping £7000. For the Birmingham trip, the team have already raised £3500 before even taking a single step towards Small Heath. Last season Lee cycled to both Preston's Deepdale and Wigan's DW stadiums as well as arranging numerous donations from past and present players. Lee has transformed himself from a man at the lowest ebb who had barely ridden a bike in his life, to a fund raising, awareness campaigning machine. This is truly the Keep Right On spirit that we all love to sing about.

Lee: "My favourite football song is Keep Right On and that's so relevant to what we're doing, I love it. It's the best football song in the world and it's been playing on my mind a hell of a lot. I would well up if we were met by a load of Birmingham fans all singing Keep Right On as we complete the journey."

After such an emotional and impassioned conversation with Lee, it felt almost redundant to ask him about such a trivial thing like the result on the day, so I turned back to Bob for his opinions.

Mark: How do you think the game will go and are there any key players Blues need to watch out for?

Bob: "3 – 0 to Fulham and I'd say this year, all of the players are ones to watch."

Obviously I hope Bob is wrong but when everything is put into perspective, there really are bigger issues in the world than football. What's great about the sport though is that it brings people from all over the country together for a common cause. Sure, more often than not we're brought together to sing insults at each other and swear at a bunch of blokes on the pitch, but fan power should never be underestimated and the work being carried out by Lee and his team is testament to that.

As Lee said in the interview, it really would be one hell of a spectacle if a horde of Blues fans could walk side by side with some thoroughly knackered Fulham fans, each singing Keep Right On as they parade the streets. Mental health is a major issue and one that's too easily swept under the carpet by 'blokes being blokes' who almost feel too prideful to discuss it openly. Talking about it is just the first step though and Lee has about 234 000 more to go...

For more information; follow Lee Adams (@matchwornshirt1) on Twitter. You can also visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/fulham2birminghamwalk to find out more information and to donate. For more information about CALM or if any of the issues in this article may be affecting you, please don't hesitate to visit www.thecalmzone.net They are also on Twitter @theCALMzone

For anyone wanting to join Lee, please contact Lee Adams directly via social media channels or alternatively drop me a message on Twitter or Facebook.

Finally, my sincere thanks go out to both Bob and Lee for taking the time to talk to me and for the incredible work that the whole team has done over the past few seasons. As Shakespeare said, 'Some men are born great, some achieve greatness and others have greatness thrust upon them.' Well, perhaps Lee is all three...

Keep Right On.

http://bcfcfollowers.com/interviews/the-true-spirit-of-keep-right-on-fulham-to-blues-walk/

WhiteJC

Championship preview: Millwall vs. Fulham

MILLWALL know if they win they will go four points clear of Derby before the Rams host Middlesbrough on Saturday.

The Lions could end the weekend fifth or – in a very, very bad-case scenario – ninth with two games left this season.

Fulham have threats all over the pitch. Striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, signed on loan from Newcastle in January, has scored 12 goals in his last 12 games.

Ryan Sessegnon is being linked with the top English sides as well as with Barcelona and PSG, and he has been named Championship Player of the Season.

Behind those two, Tom Cairney – whom Newcastle were reportedly ready to splash £20million on last summer – pulls the strings in midfield.

The Cottager's four-game winning run was ended by Brentford's 94th-minute equaliser last weekend, and Slavisa Jokanovic's side know they have to win their last three games and hope Cardiff slip up twice to be guaranteed finishing second.

Defender Tim Ream admitted the clash at The Den is a must-win for the visitors.

"There's no two ways about it. We know what the situation is and we know that starting with Millwall on Friday night we have to win and there's no getting around that," Ream told Fulham's official website.

"Saturday evening was tough to take but we've drawn games in this run so it's a game we have to now put behind us and get ready for Millwall.

"We've shown a mental toughness throughout this entire run, just because we concede in the 94th minute doesn't mean we're not mentally tough. It's just a matter of dusting ourselves down and going again."

Millwall boss Neil Harris could name the same side for the 11th time in the last 13 games.

Fulham also have a settled team and could line up as they did against the Bees.

Millwall record against Fulham

Played 43

Won 14 Draw 12 Lost 17

Form guide

Millwall: WWDWWD

Fulham: DWWWWD

Probable teams

Millwall: 4-4-2: Archer; Romeo, Hutchinson, Cooper, Meredith; Wallace, Williams, Saville, Marshall; Gregory, Morison.

Fulham: Fulham: 4-3-3: Bettinelli; Fredericks, Odoi, Ream, Targett; Johansen, McDonald, Cairney; Piazon, Mitrovic, R Sessegnon.

Match odds

Millwall 21/10 Draw 11/5 Fulham 6/5

https://www.newsatden.co.uk/66962-championship-preview-millwall-vs-fulham.html

WhiteJC

Millwall v Fulham
FRI 20 Apr 2018   Championship
Venue: The Den

Neil Harris's Millwall have picked up 39 Championship points in 2018 - only Slavisa Jokanovic's Fulham have amassed more since the turn of the year, taking 46

Millwall boss Neil Harris says Fulham will face a "cauldron of noise" in Friday's London derby at The Den.

Both sides are chasing promotion and are in fine form, with the Lions 17 league games unbeaten and Fulham unbeaten in 21 Championship matches.

The Whites are one point off the automatic promotion places, with Millwall in sixth.

Midfielder Ben Thompson (ankle) is a doubt for the hosts, while defender Byron Webster (knee) is out.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic will be without forwards Floyd Ayite and Sheyi Ojo.

SAM's prediction
Home win 28%   Draw 27%   Away win 45%

SAM, the Sports Analytics Machine, is a super-computer built by @ProfIanMcHale of the University of Liverpool.

Millwall manager Neil Harris told BBC Radio London:
"The atmosphere will be electric and I can't want to see my players perform in that scenario; a cauldron of noise with so much at stake for both clubs.

"I'm extremely proud of what the players have done so far but when you have got three games to go it is one last big effort. Can we get enough points to get over the line and try and have a play-off campaign?

"Fulham are under pressure because they should be very close to that top two, if not in it.

"We have no expectation levels on us which means we can go and play with freedom, go and express ourselves and try and impose ourselves on the game."

Match facts
    Millwall are winless in four home league meetings with Fulham (D3 L1) since winning 4-3 in April 1982.
    There have been just two goals scored in the last three Championship meetings between these sides, with both sides scoring one apiece.
    The Lions have lost one of their last 13 home matches on Friday in all competitions (W8 D4), a 1-0 defeat by Bolton in December 2014.
    Slavisa Jokanovic has won all three Championship meetings with Millwall, winning two with Watford and one with Fulham.
    Fulham winger Ryan Sessegnon has scored more league goals in 2017-18 than any other teenager in the top four tiers of English football (14 goals).
    George Saville's 10 goals have been worth 12 points for Millwall this season - only three players' goals have been more valuable in the Championship (Billy Sharp 17, James Maddison 16, Albert Adomah 14).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43748344

WhiteJC

Millwall won't be afraid of Fulham on Friday night - Neil Harris

The Lions are unbeaten in 17 and their boss insists they won't be fazed facing Fulham's dominant style of play on Friday night

Neil Harris insists his Millwall side won't be overawed by Fulham, or indeed anybody, as the two sides meet at the Den on Friday night.

The Lions are on a 17-game unbeaten run, while Slavisa Jokanovic's men are on a 21-game unbeaten run themselves, with a 1-1 draw with Brentford last Saturday seeing them extend the run.

The styles of the two teams couldn't be more different - Millwall are fighters and look to get in the faces of their opponents while the Whites like to use the ball and control possession.

Both styles have worked for their respective teams this season, and Harris insists his side won't be fazed by the dominating style of play that Fulham are so well known for.

He said: "We're not overawed by anybody and when teams have got most of the ball against us, we're not fazed at all.

"We went behind in a very hostile atmosphere last Saturday [against Sheffield United] and scored within 30 seconds of the restart.

"I think that goes to show the belief, the character and the strength in the group at the moment.

"We'll certainly need all of that on Friday night. What a great opportunity for the players to go and express themselves and enjoy it."

"It's a big test because Fulham are on a great run and they are a very, very good side.

(Image: Paul Burgman)

"We've had really difficult tests all season. The opening game of the season was a really tough test because it was our first game back at this level.

"We played Wolves home and away, the best team in the league, Cardiff home and away and we stood strong against these sides. We've been in every game.

"We lost 3-0 at Derby but probably could have got something out of the game, we were the best team for the majority of it."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/millwall-wont-afraid-fulham-friday-14548986

WhiteJC

Foot In Both Camps

Fulham's Programme Art Editor Paul West is a lifelong Millwall fan, so we caught up with him ahead of Friday's London derby.

What were your expectations for Millwall before a ball was kicked this season?

As we were fourth favourites for the drop, anything outside of the bottom three would have been brilliant for most fans, especially after the last couple of seasons of struggle when we were previously in the Championship. There were dreamers in my group who thought about mid-table being a possibility but they were usually dismissed as either being drunk or having sunstroke.

How good a job has Neil Harris done to get you where you are?

What Bomber has achieved with the resources at his disposal is nothing short of miraculous really. Millwall's budget in comparison to some of the other teams in the league is minute. I don't think he has really been shown any recognition for how well he has done. But I think we prefer it that way, Millwall always seem to perform better as the underdog, going under everyone's radar.
Do you expect you will end the season in the Play-Offs?

There is no pressure on us to finish in the Play-Offs really, but if we do we will give anyone a game, especially at the Den. If the unbelievable really did happen and we made the Final, we have played at Wembley in the previous two seasons in League One and experienced the highs and lows of the occasion, so most of the squad know what to expect and won't be daunted by the trip to the national stadium.

Shaun Hutchinson seems to have really found his feet at Millwall?

Along with George Saville, Hutchinson has been one of the outstanding players of the season, with a very good chance of being voted as such by the fans. He has been rock-solid and is one of the reasons our defence has continued to improve all season. If Fulham can afford to let players such as Hutchinson and Ryan Tunnicliffe go without it having any effect on their own progress, they must really have outstanding players to take their place.
Who else has stood out for you this term?

Jed Wallace and Mahlon Romeo have been outstanding down the right-hand side. Their pace is frightening for any team. The fact they keep up such pace for 90 minutes week in and week out is a testament to how fit they are. The additions of Ben Marshall and Tim Cahill in January helped to perk up the squad just at the right time as well. Having a player who has featured in three World Cups on your bench can only be a good thing for the players sitting around him.
What style of play can we expect from Millwall?

It'll be counter-attacking, waiting for the perfect moment to seize an opportunity. Fulham like to play a possession game, as do quite a lot of teams in the league and we have had to learn to be patient. Once in possession, the ball will go to the wings and go forward very quickly. With Steve Morison usually hoIding it up for Lee Gregory there is always a chance of something happening at the other end of the pitch. I think we play a very similar style to Neil Warnock's Cardiff City. It may not be the prettiest but it can be very effective in the Championship it seems.

What have you made of Fulham this season?

Fulham have been immense this season. I believe if they had signed Aleksandar Mitrović earlier in the season they would be promoted by now. Having that focal-point up front was the missing piece to the puzzle. When our teams first met back in November, after 18 games Fulham had only won one more than the Lions, so the difference he has made is remarkable. Fulham are always lovely to watch and their setup has Premier League written all over it.
Who should Fulham be wary of on Friday?

Steve Morison is a crafty old fox. And he knows every trick in the book when put against some very good defenders. His experience is vital, that's why he's captain. He can be a bit a bit of a miserable sod, but he's our miserable sod and that's why we love him. Marshall seems to be getting better and better each game as well since coming on loan in January. His set-pieces are always on the money.
What's the best thing about a trip to the Den?

I love going to the Den. The smells, the sounds and the crowds on a good day can leave any away support in awe. 5,000 fans on a Tuesday night, if the conditions are right, can sound like 20,000. The area is seeing quite a lot of renovation recently which will eventually lead to a nicer experience for the travelling fans, which is unfortunate as we never want an away team to feel comfortable. They also serve a lovely Balti pie at half-time.
Where would you recommend Fulham fans go for a pint before the game?

There are plenty of pubs around the London Bridge area, some of them really nice. And as the stadium is a single stop away at South Bermondsey, as an away fan I'd say that would be ideal. The quality of the lager has improved this season in the ground as well.

You've got a foot in both camps – would an important win for Fulham be any consolation for a Millwall defeat?

If a Fulham win meant they'd go up automatically and we stayed in the Play-Offs at the end of the season, I'd take that all day long. I think Fulham deserve to go up automatically with how they have torn the league apart since just before Christmas. And because I want to work on Premier League programmes again! A Millwall v Cardiff Final at Wembley would be my ideal scenario. That would be some atmosphere.
How do you see the game unfolding?

It'll be like the first time we met this season; Fulham having the majority of the ball and us trying hit them direct on the counter. I think it'll be a very close game. Hopefully it'll be a great London derby for the Sky cameras.
What score prediction are you going for?

I'm going for a score draw. Most likely 1-1 as neither side leak too many goals.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/april/19/foot-in-both-camps

WhiteJC

Pundit delivers his verdict on Fulham's key trip to Millwall this weekend

David Prutton is expecting Fulham's automatic promotion hopes to be dented further this weekend, when they travel to the Den to face Millwall.

Writing in his prediction column for Sky Sports, Prutton is predicting an entertaining clash on Friday evening, with Millwall and Fulham to play out a 2-2 draw and Steve Morison to score the game's first goal.

The London rivals are two of the Sky Bet Championship's form sides heading into this weekend, with both in contention for promotion this season.

Millwall currently sit sixth in the Championship table, with an incredible run of form putting Neil Harris' side in contention for the play-offs.

Last time out, the Lions picked up a valuable point against Sheffield United, which boosted their play-offs hopes further ahead of the run-in.

Whilst Millwall are looking to edge ahead of a number of clubs and clinch one of the remaining places in the play-offs, Fulham are seemingly in a two-way battle with Cardiff City in the race to join Wolves in the Premier League automatically.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side lost ground last weekend due to a 1-1 draw with Brentford, but still sit just a single point behind Cardiff heading into this weekend.

The Verdict 

This is a huge game for both Millwall and Fulham, who have plenty to play for ahead of this weekend.

Millwall's recent form, particularly at the Den, has been terrific, but Fulham will head there full of confidence and on a fine run.

It's another Championship fixture that could go either way, but you'd expect to see Fulham struggle, like most have done, at Millwall.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/pundit-delivers-his-verdict-on-fulhams-key-trip-to-millwall-this-weekend/

Woolly Mammoth

I would imagine a neutral would forecast a 1 1 draw, looking at the facts.
Which at the end of the day, may not be enough for either team.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

WhiteJC

You get the feeling these 3 Fulham players are departing Craven Cottage this summer

Fulham have players that aren't up to the desired technical standard who are likely to move on.

The Cottagers are currently in third place with one point separating them from Cardiff in the second automatic promotion spot, although the Bluebirds do have a game in hand against Derby.

They are likely to be favourites for the play-offs if they are unable to overtake Cardiff, so there's a strong chance they will find themselves in the Premier League next season.

Regardless of where they find themselves next season, some players aren't suited to the style of play that Slavisa Jokanovic utilises, so they are likely to leave.

Here are three players unlikely to be at the club next season...

David Button

Button lost his place in the starting XI to Marcus Bettinelli after a poor performance against local rivals Brentford in December with his distribution being particularly at fault.

Bettinelli is younger and much more suited to Fulham's style, so Button is unlikely to win his place back. Therefore, he will need a move away if he wants to regularly play.

The lack of rotation among goalkeeping options could influence him to move in the summer with other Championship clubs being likely destinations.

Ibrahima Cisse

Cisse joined the club last summer, but has barely featured with six league appearances and only two of them being starts.

His main role is defensive midfield, but that is a strong area for Fulham because Kevin McDonald and Oliver Norwood are reliable options in that area.

The lack of playing time and the potential promotion to the Premier League means that a move away is likely in order to find a club that he is better suited to.

Rui Fonte

Fonte is another summer acquisition that has failed to live up to expectations. He has been involved in 26 league games with only three goals and two assists.

Fulham's style provides plenty of opportunities for strikers as shown by Aleksandar Mitrovic's strong form since joining in January. The Serbian striker and Aboubakar Kamara have performed better than Fonte as the lone striker this season.

A move away would be best for him because he lacks the clinical threat that Fulham need especially if they get promoted to the Premier League, so he would have to settle for a role down the pecking order if he stayed. That isn't ideal for a player starting to reach his peak.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/you-get-the-feeling-these-3-fulham-players-are-departing-craven-cottage-this-summer/4/

WhiteJC

Steve Morison says lack of egos is behind Millwall's Championship success

Millwall have picked up 39 Championship points in 2018 - only Fulham have amassed more this calendar year

Millwall striker Steve Morison says a lack of egos and an egalitarian atmosphere is behind the club's success in the Championship this season.

The Lions, who were promoted via the League One play-offs last year, are sixth with three games remaining.

"Everyone is on the same pay grade and no-one is in a completely different category to anyone else," the 34-year-old told BBC Radio London.

"Everyone is together so you don't have to worry about egos."

The Lions have put themselves in contention for successive promotions following a 17-match unbeaten run in the league, which has lifted them from 15th into the play-off places.

Morison think the recruitment policy of boss Neil Harris, targeting the right characters to add to the squad, has proved crucial to their good form.

"We keep talking about it but the spirit in the camp and the relaxed nature we have got is really good," Morison added.

"I think that has come about because the gaffer has put a really good group together of good players who fit in.

"It's funny but I'm still waiting for that day that someone walks through the dressing room with an ego. If that happens you know the place is going in the wrong direction."

Millwall players 'need to succeed'
Morison, who is in his third spell at The Den, thinks the hard-work ethic at the south London club has also driven their unexpected bid for promotion to the Premier League.

The Lions have not played in the top flight since 1989-90, and have not achieved a top-six finish in the second tier since 2001-02.

"Those people who have got tens-of-million-pound budgets and are paying people 30, 40 or 50 grand a week are supposed to be in the play-offs," the Wales international said.

"They are the teams that we are turning over every week because we want it a little bit more than them.

"Every single man in that dressing room needs to succeed to earn money to be able to continue to have a good career.

"Apart from maybe Tim [Cahill], every single player would have to go to work if they had to stop playing tomorrow.

"There is a big difference between our dressing room and most in this league."

Millwall host third-placed Fulham on Friday (19:45 BST).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43823472

WhiteJC

Monaco 'send scouts to watch Ryan Sessegnon' as they join Manchester United and Tottenham in race for the Fulham starlet

Ryan Sessegnon set to be fast-tracked into England squad after the World Cup
    JAMIE REDKNAPP: Why Sessegnon should snub interest from the bigger clubs
    SPECIAL REPORT: How the 17-year-old phenomenon got his big break at Fulham
    Monaco the latest club to show a keen interest in Sessegnon

Ryan Sessegnon is being scouted by Monaco as the Ligue 1 side prepare to join the race for the 17-year-old, according to reports.

Fulham starlet Sessegnon is the most in-demand teenager in the country with Tottenham, Manchester United and Liverpool all chasing his signature.

The youngster has starred this season in the second tier and scooped a remarkable five gongs at the EFL Awards including Championship Player of the Year.

Ryan Sessegnon's progress at Fulham has alerted the attentions of Premier League clubs

And The Sun now report that Monaco, who have made a habit of signing young talent from abroad, are keeping tabs on the wing-back.

Monaco reportedly sent sporting director Michael Emenalo, formerly of Chelsea, to watch Sessegnon in action during last week's 1-0 win over Reading.   

Sessegnon's remarkable progress is set to continue with Gareth Southgate preparing to fast-track him into the England squad after the 2018 World Cup.

The 17-year-old scooped five EFL gongs including the Championship Player of the Year award

The England Under-21 international, who has scored 14 goals in 38 Championship appearances this season, can play left-sided full back and attacking midfield.

Sessegnon is currently tied to the Cottagers until the 2020 season and has indicated his desire to earn promotion to the Premier League with them.

The west London side are currently third in the Championship, just one point off Cardiff in the automatic promotion places.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5633847/Monaco-send-scouts-watch-Manchester-United-target-Ryan-Sessegnon.html#ixzz5DC9K16fK
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Serious Slav keen to have the last laugh in Championship promotion race

When Slavisa Jokanovic walked in for his post-match press conference last Tuesday, you would have been hard pressed to know if his Fulham team had won or lost.

That they had triumphed 1-0 against a determined Reading side to climb to second in the Championship hardly seemed to matter.

Quips, quotes, one-liners? Forget it. Leave that to the likes of Cardiff boss Neil Warnock and QPR manager Ian Holloway.

That the 49-year-old Serb isn't speaking in his native tongue is no doubt one of the factors. His press conference answers are punctuated by lots of ums and errs, and you have to listen closely to make out what he is saying in sometimes faltering English.

Yet you wonder if the former Chelsea midfielder, who led Watford to promotion to the Premier League in 2014-15, is the life and soul of the party when he is speaking in Serbian. He seems a somewhat serious figure. You can't imagine him joking around with compatriot, and Newcastle loanee, Aleksandar Mitrovic on the training ground.

And yet his Fulham team play with wonderful expression on the field. They are a joy to watch as they sweep forward at pace.

When they start to pass the ball about sweetly one and two-touch, they can cut through a defence like a knife through butter.

So, although listening to Jokanovic at times mutter and mumble his way through press conferences isn't a lot of fun, watching his team play certainly is.

Results also show he is doing something right. After a slow start this season, following the disappointment of play-off semi-final defeat against Reading last term, the Whites made it 20 games unbeaten – 16 wins and four draws – by beating the Royals, courtesy of Stefan Johansen's 25th-minute goal at Craven Cottage on Tuesday.

They increased that record to 21 games on Saturday against Brentford, though there was a bitter pill to swallow as the Bees struck at the death to earn a 1-1 draw.

It was a big blow for Fulham but they still have lots going for them.
Skipper Tom Cairney and Norwegian Johansen are two classy midfielders who can control operations and get Fulham playing their easy-on-the-eye game.

The Whites make the pitch big, switch the ball from flank to flank swiftly and attack rapidly.

There is also plenty of emphasis on the full-backs, Ryan Fredericks and Matt Targett, getting forward at every opportunity. Fredericks really bombs on from right-back, while Targett has been a revelation since joining on loan from Southampton in January.

The 22-year-old left-back linked up well with teenage winger Ryan Sessegnon against Reading and it was his magnificent low cross that gave Johansen the chance to tuck away Fulham's winner.

The irony is that Targett could end up winning promotion with his loan team while his parent club get relegated. It was a clever piece of recruitment to bring him in.

Another shrewd bit of business, and arguably the missing piece in the jigsaw, was signing Mitrovic on loan from Newcastle.

Although the 23-year-old didn't have his shooting boots on against Reading, you could still see what he offers the team. He can be the target man, the focal point of the attack to bring others into play.

He keeps things simple and also puts in a shift. Credit Jokanovic for getting the best out of him. Nine goals in his first 13 appearances tells its own story.

Yet it would be wrong to suggest that Fulham's success is solely built on their attacking prowess. They have tightened up defensively and Tuesday's victory made it four clean sheets on the trot.

Marcus Bettinelli is making key saves between the sticks, while Tim Ream and Denis Odoi have formed a useful partnership in the heart of defence.

Midfielder Kevin McDonald is somewhat of an unsung hero, getting in there and doing some of the dirty work that can often go unseen.

Against Reading, Ream was particularly impressive, making key interventions a number of times and earning the acclaim of the fans.

He was featured on the front cover of the match-day programme, and there was an interesting interview with him inside.

The 30-year-old American explained why the 1-0 defeat at Sunderland in mid-December – their last league loss – proved to be a turning point in their campaign.

"We all kind of looked at each other afterwards and there were a few home truths said in the changing room," he said.

"We felt embarrassed to have gone there, basically lay an egg and give them their first home win in a year.

"We knew it wasn't good enough. I don't know if there was a conscious effort after that as much as things have just clicked in a really positive way since."

The big plus for Fulham last Tuesday was that their victory was complemented by Cardiff going down 1-0 at Aston Villa thanks to Jack Grealish's 85th-minute winner.

It meant that the Whites leapfrogged the Welsh club and went a point above them, though the latter have a game in hand.

Perhaps that extra match – Cardiff visit Derby for a rearranged fixture on April 24 – is the reason Jokanovic was keen to downplay the significance of Fulham going second in midweek.

"It's not important," he stressed. "The situation is still not under our control – it's going to depend on Cardiff. They have one game more. We are not thinking so much about the position in this moment.

"On the other side, we catch one target. We are guaranteed a play-off and now we must prepare for the next step, the Brentford game (played on Saturday)."

Cardiff won 2-0 at Norwich yesterday to get back on track after a couple of slips.

"I don't know how they feel," he said. "We catch our first target, we must be quiet and try to be ready for next step. You must ask them, I don't know if they are in good moment tomorrow or not.

"We will make it our job. It's natural we try to put them under some kind of pressure. If we are going to do it or if we're not going to do it, I can't answer you.

"We must to be calm. What we must promise ourselves is effort, desire and ambition. This team show that tonight and in the past, too. We know this is a crazy competition and we must to be calm."

If Jokanovic had one criticism of his players, it was that they weren't 'clinical enough' to put the game against Reading to bed.

While they missed chances against Paul Clement's men, they sometimes appear to want to score the perfect goal.

Mitrovic will get his shots off, but others are keen to play one more pass at times when they could have a crack at goal.

But it's difficult to criticise a team who had, pre-weekend, put together a club record 20-match unbeaten run!

And one goal was enough to earn victory against both Sheffield Wednesday last weekend and Reading.

"We improve our defensive shape," added Jokanovic. "We are more solid. "Sometimes, to be competitive you must win the game 1-0 or 0-1, like we win the last two games, and this is a positive situation for us because we trust each other. I must be satisfied with this victory tonight."

A few more might even raise a smile...

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/9973/9973/

WhiteJC

England manager hatches international plan for Fulham star

England manager Gareth Southgate is ready to select Ryan Sessegnon for international duty – but only after the World Cup, The Daily Mail reports.

Southgate wants to fast track Sessegnon into the England senior set-up but will wait until the World Cup is over before thrusting him into action.

The 17-year-old has enjoyed a terrific season, scoring 14 goals and adding six assists for Fulham, consequently picking up five prizes at the EFL awards night including the top accolade of EFL Championship Player of the Year.

Sessegnon has been one of Fulham's standout performers, despite his young age, as they continue to fight for automatic promotion back to the Premier League.

His performances have not gone unnoticed with a number of Europe's biggest clubs – such as Manchester United, Tottenham, PSG, Monaco and Barcelona – all ready to launch a summer bid for his services.

The England under-21 international could soon be pushed up to the senior side, though, with Southgate a big fan of the Fulham starlet.

But the England boss is not quite convinced that Sessegnon is ready to make the World Cup squad as he wants him to have some Premier League experience before getting the nod at senior level.

The Verdict

Ryan Sessegnon is destined to become a star at senior level for England but why shouldn't he make the World Cup squad? Just because he is playing Championship football, does not mean that he is not good enough to make the squad. Even if he goes just for the experience, it will help him settle into the senior national squad and get a taste of what a world tournament is like.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/england-manager-hatches-international-plan-for-fulham-star/

WhiteJC

Matt Targett open to joining Fulham on a permanent deal

Matt Targett has revealed that he would be happy to stay at Fulham beyond this season.

The 22-year-old left back joined the Londoners on loan in January and he has been quite impressive for Jokanovic's side so far.

Fulham are close to sealing promotion to the Premier League this season and Targett has been a key player for them since joining. The fans will be delighted to hear that the left-back wants to stay at Craven Cottage.

Targett said: "We'll have to see. Obviously, Southampton aren't in the best position in the Premier League at the moment and I'm very happy here. I've done well here so far and I just want that to carry on, to push on and get Fulham back in the Premier League. We'll have to wait and see what happens in the summer for both Ryan and myself, potentially. It would certainly be an option, but it would be down to both clubs agreeing a fee. I haven't spoken to anyone at the club, so I'm fully focused on doing a job here at Fulham."

It will be interesting to see whether Southampton are willing to sell the player permanently. The Saints are in danger of going down this season and they could choose to retain the likes of Targett.

Southampton's first choice left back Ryan Bertrand is unlikely to stay if they are relegated.

Targett has already shown that he can be a very good player in the Championship.

As for Fulham, they should try and convince Southampton to sell. Sessegnon has been linked with moves away from Craven Cottage and keeping Targett would sort out their left back position for the near future.

http://sportslens.com/matt-targett-open-to-joining-fulham-on-a-permanent-deal/230904/

WhiteJC

Why Ryan Sessegnon deserves England selection for Russia 2018

Ryan Sessegnon has scored double figures from left-back for Fulham

Unlike other departments, the left-back position within the England national team is blessed with quality. Players such as Luke Shaw, Ben Davies, Ryan Bertrand, Danny Rose and Ashly Young can do a solid job for the Three-Lions on any day. There's another player who can, too; Ryan Sessegnon. Within a year, the Fulham youngster is staking his claim to do bigger things than Championship football.

English youngsters are used to the hype by now. As soon as they put in a few brilliant performances, the media describes them in an epiphany, hailing them as the next big thing. What Sessegnon has achieved this season has certainly placed him in that class.

I'm not here to tell you Sessegnon is the next best thing that happened to England since Ashley Cole. Yet, a teenage left-back who has scored more goals and provided more assists than notable strikers while doing an efficient job at the back cannot be dismissed with the wave of the hand. Most of my IRAIW colleagues would.

No one would argue that 17-year-old Sessegnon does not deserve to be named in the PFA Championship Team of the Season. It's my take that he deserves something more – an inclusion in the Three Lions squad for Russia 2018.

He needs the experience
In May 2006, 17-year-old Theo Walcott was completely shocked he learned he had been included in England's squad for the 2006 World Cup in Germany. We can draw parallels between Walcott and Sessegnon. Though the left-back clearly edges out the former Arsenal man on many counts. However, the experience that being amongst the England World Cup squad did more good to Walcott's career. You can ask the man himself.

Although Sessegnon has been amazing in the Championship this term, the youngster is nowhere near the finished article. He's still in school, learning and progressing steadily in the game. A place in Gareth Southgate's 23-man squad will not derail his burgeoning career. Rather, it'll put him on the right track to becoming a world-class left-back for England.

He's competent enough
Experience is needed, but the major criteria for selecting a World Cup squad is current form and competence. Ryan Sessegnon has both. Southgate has options aplenty to choose from. At most, he hand invites to three players. Though he was an attacker transformed to a left-back, the aforementioned Young cannot be overlooked based on his performances for Manchester United this season.

Shaw won't be fit enough in time to compete for a World Cup place, after being frozen out by Jose Mourinho. Rose isn't fit as a fiddle either. It makes it an open contest between the likes of Bertrand, Cresswell, Davies and Sessegnon.

Playing as a full professional for the Cottagers, Sessegnon has shown he has the tactical nous to play on the big stage. Southgate can justify his inclusion. With 14 goals and six assists, he's England's most prolific defender this year. Named Championship Player of the Season, too...

Where his contemporaries in the Premier League have mostly been fairly better than average, the young man has been astutely brilliant. Sessegnon might be edged out because he isn't playing at an elite club. How have the English left-backs who play top-tier football fared? None made it to the PFA team of the Year this season.

In the 1958 World Cup, a 17-year-old Pele was given a chance by Brazil to show his talent. He responded by being the youngest player ever to score a world cup hat-trick. Who knows what Ryan Sessegnon will do for England at Russia 2018 if he's given the chance?

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/ryan-sessegnon-deserves-england-selection-russia-2018-world-cup

WhiteJC

Important Fulham team update given ahead of Millwall clash

Fulham travel across the capital this Friday night as West London meets South East at the New Den.

It's a big game for both, too, as Fulham look to apply the pressure on Cardiff in the race for second place whilst Millwall aim to keep their top six hopes on track.

It should be a class affair between the two form sides in the Championship, then, and it looks as though the Lilywhites are going to be close to full strength with Slavisa Jokanovic's latest quotes in mind.

Indeed, as per the club's official Twitter account, the Serbian boss said:

Evidently, then, the team is looking pretty strong ahead of kick-off tomorrow night against the Lions with the likes of Ryan Sessegnon, Tom Cairney and Aleksandar Mitrovic all set to start.

Millwall are strong too, though, and so it should be an entertaining watch.

The Verdict

Fulham are looking good right now and a win tomorrow would certainly send out a message to Cardiff.

Millwall are the only side close to matching Fulham's form right now and so if they can win at the New Den it'll be a very impressive feat indeed.

Let's see what happens.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/important-fulham-team-update-given-ahead-of-millwall-clash/