watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sad Demise Of Some Teams.

Started by Mince n Tatties, April 22, 2018, 01:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

And for all the reasons above that is why relegation and promotion are so important. It's a shame there is not a handicap system to even it out a bit

Syd Cupp

From Someone who follows non league a bit 4 teams come to mind that haven't been mentioned,
Stockport County
Hereford who this season won the Southern League Premiership
Darlington FC
Kidderminster

fluffyninja

Sad , we will always have a link with Chester , the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time I hear the name not just the 7-0 but we seemed to play them lots in the late 80's.I remember at the old ground one end was just a grass bank , and I think that's not even the original club cos Chester went bust once years ago.

Peabody

Alccrington Stanley, one of the founder members of the Football League, have come back. But when you think of teams like New Brighton, Bradford Park Avenue, Gainsborough Trinity, then you realise how tenuous the life of a Football club can be.

peter w

Actually, they are two different clubs. it was Accrington FC that were one of the founder members.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: peter w on April 23, 2018, 10:43:09 AM
Actually, they are two different clubs. it was Accrington FC that were one of the founder members.

That is affirmative, but sadly they folded, and the other team Stanley Park who played in Stanley Street, replaced them and amalgamated the two names.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Peabody

My point is that some of these old time clubs do come back. Others do not. Locally, Aldershot Town is a case in point, they did come back but have now gone backwards again.

Carborundum

The sweep of time covered on this thread and the sheer number of clubs in England leads me to a conclusion.  Football clubs are phenomenally hardy.  Far more so than say, FTSE 100 Companies.  It's a feature of our land that whatever business or other misfortunes befall a club, there will reliably be a group of young men willing to be paid something, anything, to play for them.  And others who will pay something to watch them do it.  I find it very comforting.  Perhaps the biggest abomination was the franchising and relocation of the Wimbledon club and even then I can see upside -having seen how that went no-one has tried again and the Phoenix of the original club rose strongly.

It's a great pity someone coined the term "non-league" football.  Pejorative and just plain wrong.  There are always leagues and in my experience those below the fourth tier can be utterly captivating.

SG

It's a great pity someone coined the term "non-league" football.  Pejorative and just plain wrong.  There are always leagues and in my experience those below the fourth tier can be utterly captivating.

Couldn't agree more and if there was no FFC that is where you would find me on a Sat afternoon

gang

Quote from: Peabody on April 22, 2018, 07:50:11 PM
Alccrington Stanley, one of the founder members of the Football League, have come back. But when you think of teams like New Brighton, Bradford Park Avenue, Gainsborough Trinity, then you realise how tenuous the life of a Football club can be.

Gainsborough Trinity have just been relegated from the Valmara National League North.

Stockport County, Kidderminster, Bradford Park Avenue, York City, Boston United, Darlington and Southport now all find themselves in this league.

MikeW

Newport County been mentioned a few times as demised.  Not so, still in Div 2
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Dodgin

Local side Bromley, just of the playoffs for League 2. Once resided in the Isthmian League.

Syd Cupp

Quote from: Dodgin on April 24, 2018, 09:56:56 AM
Local side Bromley, just of the playoffs for League 2. Once resided in the Isthmian League.

Also Going To Wembley..!!
Neil Smith (Yep The very One) has done well with the Ravens.

bog

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 22, 2018, 04:57:22 PM
I remember the Chesterfield semi final with Boro,the ball was well over the line,would have been only 3rd tier team to reach FA Cup final,tragic that they've gone.
A few others not even in National league,Stockport, York,Darlington all down in non league.

:plus one:

When we won promotion in 2001 Stockport beat us 2-0 over Christmas, this was also Cookie's last game before that car crash.  Just shows if your club falls into the wrong hands who don't give a toss you are in trouble. 

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: bog on April 24, 2018, 02:17:58 PM
I remember the Chesterfield semi final with Boro,the ball was well over the line,would have been only 3rd tier team to reach FA Cup final,tragic that they've gone.
A few others not even in National league,Stockport, York,Darlington all down in non league.

When we won promotion in 2001 Stockport beat us 2-0 over Christmas, this was also Cookie's last game before that car crash.  Just shows if your club falls into the wrong hands who don't give a toss you are in trouble. 

In a case of the majority of the clubs mentioned, it is not so much a case of the owners not giving a toss, more a case of the owners not having sufficient funds to keep the club afloat, together with the club not being an attractive enough proposition due to location and history to find a rich investor, without the latter FFC could have been added to the sad list.

hovewhite

My mate supports wrexam, another club with great history.theyve gone the same way.

bog

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on April 24, 2018, 04:20:19 PM

In a case of the majority of the clubs mentioned, it is not so much a case of the owners not giving a toss, more a case of the owners not having sufficient funds to keep the club afloat, together with the club not being an attractive enough proposition due to location and history to find a rich investor, without the latter FFC could have been added to the sad list.

One case where one does not give a toss is Sunderland's. Apparently Cookie has never even seen him face to face. You have to be a businessman to own a club these days....and a successful one. 

gerrys

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 22, 2018, 02:59:22 PM
Quote from: Holders on April 22, 2018, 02:51:23 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 22, 2018, 02:49:06 PM
Quote from: Holders on April 22, 2018, 02:39:59 PM
The change came about when they did away with re-election in favour of simple relegation.

That's right, it was the old pals act amongst the Chairmen when it came to voting, it was a closed shop.
But Oxford United broke the mould when I think they replaced Barrow in Furness but cannot be sure. 
Going back to Cambridge United, the last time I looked at the Sunday Mail which was five minutes ago Cambridge United were half way up Division 2.

Well when I was a kid, Oxford Utd. was in the Isthmian League and both Cambridge Utd. & Cambridge City were in the southern League......so they aren't traditional League clubs that have fallen away.....

Oh well, one of them must have got relegated out of the league and made their way back then without me noticing!

I think it may have been Cambridge, about 5 years ago, it could be longer, time goes so quick these days.
Talking of Cambridge both them and Oxford reached the Boat Race Final again this year, that's incredible.

Peabody

Still in the FL, Blackpool are not the force they where.