https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Khan buying Wembley??!

Started by Ordar, April 26, 2018, 01:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on April 27, 2018, 07:55:00 AM
Let's face it, this just isn't right.

Wembley is the national stadium for our national sport, the predominant sport in the whole world, and it's seriously being considered that it be sold to a foreign private individual predominantly for the use by an alien game for which our country has no heritage. National pride is at stake. What self-respecting country would even consider this? What next - sponsorship? "The MacDonalds Wembley", "The Disney Wembley".

I know the bloke's our chairman but that doesn't justify it.

Spot on Holders, there was always a hidden agenda, this has not happened over night.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 27, 2018, 08:12:31 AM

Wembley is the national stadium for our national sport, the predominant sport in the whole world, and it's seriously being considered that it be sold to a foreign private individual predominantly for the use by an alien game for which our country has no heritage. National pride is at stake. What self-respecting country would even consider this? What next - sponsorship? "The MacDonalds Wembley", "The Disney Wembley".

Spot on Holders, there was always a hidden agenda, this has not happened over night.
what's been hidden.? From day one we all knew he owed the Jags and they played over here and he wanted them to continue doing that.
It's been no secret about having more nfl games here and if he saw buying us as a way in than of course that makes sense. We all knew the ground is too small for NFL so that was always a non starter.
Just the views of a long term fan

Holders

I'm not saying it's Khan's fault or there's some plot or anything, he can bid for what he likes - just that some things should not be for sale.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on April 27, 2018, 08:16:22 AM

I'm not saying it's Khan's fault or there's some plot or anything, he can bid for what he likes - just that some things should not be for sale.

The NFL was always his hidden agenda, it was just a matter of time. It should not be allowed anywhere near our National Stadium, it's a hyped up plastic game from the other side of the Atlantic, and it's not in our culture.
Plus I am to understand it's not the FA 's to sell as it was built with Tax Payers money.
But money talks, and in Football it talks the loudest.
Some people would sell their soul to the devil if it made them a profit.

Never forget your Roots.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: Riversider on April 27, 2018, 07:36:49 AM
Quote from: BestOfBrede on April 26, 2018, 06:45:25 PM
Quote from: Riversider on April 26, 2018, 06:07:33 PM
The Riverside development has seen unexplained delay after unexplained delay, today for me it's all started to make a little sense,
If we get promoted to The Premier League, I will confidentially predict that Fulham will move to Wembley whilst The Riverside Stand is built (that's if it does now get built)
This would of course speed up the building process , which makes perfect sense, but an owner having 2 stadiums in one City makes no sense,
A traditionalist like me would never leave Craven Cottage to watch us at Wembley on a permanent basis, but what does our owner care, if I'm replaced by 20,000 Man Utd, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea etc let alone all the Korean and Japanese etc
Makes no sense to buy Wembley for 10 NFL games a season but would make sense if there was 19 Premier League games a season averaging say 40,000 a game,
I feel sorry for The Jacksonville Jaguars supporters today and I'm apprehensive for all Fulham supporters to, this story couldn't have broken at a worse time for Fulham ,
Khan nailed his colours to the mast today , a London NFL team is the first and foremost priority,  hopefully a promotion this season will let him see the value in us to.
:dead horse:
Don't matter what he says or does - it will never be enough for some!
read his statement - are you saying he is being untruthful and it's all a cover up?

He also told us that he bought the BBC sports ground for our junior sides did he not ? Seems likely now that it's going to be used as a training base for his London NFL team.
Must have missed that.Where did you here that?

MJG

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 27, 2018, 08:27:57 AM

The NFL was always his hidden agenda, it was just a matter of time. It should not be allowed anywhere near our National Stadium, it's a hyped up plastic game from the other side of the Atlantic, and it's not in our culture.
Plus I am to understand it's not the FA 's to sell as it was built with Tax Payers money.
Are you saying sports that originated abroad should not have a place here?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: MJG on April 27, 2018, 08:33:49 AM

Certainly not in our National Stadium, it is not worthy of Wembley, and it's not really a sport, more like supporting actors in costumes and crash dummy helmets doing hi fives when somebody runs five yards holding a ball. It's a silly game, and should stay well away from Wembley.
But money talks, no more louder than in football, and some would sell their soul to the devil if it made a profit.
As I have already stated, it is not worthy of Wembley.
What next, Referees dressed up as Micky Mouse and Goofy.

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 27, 2018, 08:41:59 AM
Quote from: MJG on April 27, 2018, 08:33:49 AM

Certainly not in our National Stadium, it is not worthy of Wembley, and it's not really a sport, more like supporting actors in costumes and crash dummy helmets doing hi fives when somebody runs five yards holding a ball. It's a silly game, and should stay well away from Wembley.
But money talks, no more louder than in football, and some would sell their sole to the devil if it made a profit.
As I have already stated, it is not worthy of Wembley.
What next, Referees dressed up as Micky Mouse and Goofy.

My point is that it's the national stadium - not like CC, White Hart Lane, Stamford Bridge etc. Rugby was played at CC, the other two can hold NFL games for all I care but our national stadium should be for our national sport, not as an afterthought to some alien import.

There's a status issue involved and I very much doubt if the likes of Germany or France would countenance such a prospect. We're enough of a laughing stock in Europe already.

I am not having a go at Khan, whose intentions are probably honourable, and he can offer to buy what he wants - just that some things are too important to sell.

Holders

Quote from: Statto on April 27, 2018, 10:06:21 AM

I'm guessing you are one of those people who thinks our passports shouldn't be printed abroad either.

What difference does it make who owns it? For a start Khan already owns the cottage which is older than Wembley. I'd love to know what stadiums and significant buildings around the world are privately-owned. I bet you'd be surprised. Canary Wharf is owned by the arabs. Does that mean all the offices there need to face mecca or something? no, it means nothing.

And if bloody U2 can play gigs on the wembley pitch then I am very far from caring about the odd NFL match being played there.

You make an unjustified political assumption about me.

The topical point is that NFL would become the prime purpose, with whatever attendant changes the owner would determine, football would become the afterthought and national control would be lost.

Holders

Quote from: Statto on April 27, 2018, 10:25:25 AM
Quote from: Holders on April 27, 2018, 10:10:55 AM
Quote from: Statto on April 27, 2018, 10:06:21 AM

I'm guessing you are one of those people who thinks our passports shouldn't be printed abroad either.

What difference does it make who owns it? For a start Khan already owns the cottage which is older than Wembley. I'd love to know what stadiums and significant buildings around the world are privately-owned. I bet you'd be surprised. Canary Wharf is owned by the arabs. Does that mean all the offices there need to face mecca or something? no, it means nothing.

And if bloody U2 can play gigs on the wembley pitch then I am very far from caring about the odd NFL match being played there.

You make an unjustified political assumption about me.

The topical point is that NFL would become the prime purpose, with whatever attendant changes the owner would determine, football would become the afterthought and national control would be lost.

Let's have some context here.
It's currently used by England for about 6 friendlies or crap WC qualifiers per year.
It is not hard to make the sale conditional upon it still being used by England.
The rest of the year it will be, as it is now, an entertainment venue for hire by anyone who'll pay for it.
They may be bands, boxers or NFL teams.
And in reality it is currently owned by the banks who lent the FA the money to build it.

At present the FOOTBALL Association determine its usage alongside its primary purpose. Under the Khan plan (subject to sale conditions) he will be the ultimate determinant. That's the difference.

EastEndWhite

The FA just need to make sure that the legal agreement protects the name, the right of England to play there, etc.  But Khan needs to insist that The England Band are no longer allowed anywhere near the ground.

Lighthouse

The game has changed from being a traditional 3 o clock on a Saturday afternoon game. Games are played all over the place for commercial reasons. Why do we still think Wembley is important as a traditional home stadium that only England football can be played there It makes more sense to bring in money for the game than to pretend that Avalon and King Arthur still exist and the traditional England game is still alive as it was back in the good old days. For many of us the days of even knowing who the hell the players are turning up in an England shirt is long gone.

Let's realise that the game we knew has long gone and been sold to the money men and the advertisers. Allow money to be put into football by selling the Stadium to an NFL franchise. So England may actually have to play a few games around the Country. Something that people were moaning for not that long ago. Hope it happens and little Englanders don't mess it up.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Woolly Mammoth

We don't want little yanks messing it up either. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Keep Goofy, Donald Duck, Bugs Bunny, Micky Mouse, Woody Woodpecker, The Road Runner, Tom & Gerry, The Rooster away from our Wembley.
There are not even enough to field a football team.

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

Quote from: Statto on April 27, 2018, 10:13:01 AM
Quote from: MJG on April 27, 2018, 08:08:50 AM
Quote from: b+w geezer on April 26, 2018, 09:06:54 PM
Quote from: Statto on April 26, 2018, 08:02:14 PM
the redevelopment was certainly pushed back several times by this owner. Surely you recall heatherwick...
For sure. He commissioned Heatherwick to draft a proposal and decided not to go with it. He told us he wanted something better (i.e."explained") and it then took a year from there to come up with a new plan and put in a detailed planning permission. By the standards of these things (a huge project)  I find that pretty quick going. (How many months less than 12 would people expect all that to have taken?)

If the suggestion is that he should have gone for the Heatherwick just because that was the first alternative shown to him, then that is a tenable opinion I suppose.  (Is that the suggestion?)

Even if that is the suggestion, "delay after delay" seems hyperbolic, while "unexplained" is plain inaccurate.
0001.jpeg

You have liked this MJG but you know full well it's al least as misleading as Riversider's oringinal hyperbole.

I cannot be bothered to go other the argument again but what was it, 2 years we were told they were getting additional permissions for MAF's plan, then another year "ordering the steel" or whatever it was, then a year for Heatherwick to re-design it, then they didn't like that design so gave someone else another year to re-re-design it. 5 years into his tenure still no spades in the ground. If that isn't delay then I don't know what is.

The only "defence" seems to that advanced by a few others on here, that he is just extremely capricious. Which i accept.
I don't disagree with much of what you say. But I did like his response and agree with it. Would have e been best for all on the first day of ownership to just scrap it straight away. He didn't, he tried to improve it and in the end it was let's just start again. I wish the loving thing was built  just like everyone else.

Holders

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 27, 2018, 10:35:55 AM
The game has changed from being a traditional 3 o clock on a Saturday afternoon game. Games are played all over the place for commercial reasons. Why do we still think Wembley is important as a traditional home stadium that only England football can be played there It makes more sense to bring in money for the game than to pretend that Avalon and King Arthur still exist and the traditional England game is still alive as it was back in the good old days. For many of us the days of even knowing who the hell the players are turning up in an England shirt is long gone.

Let's realise that the game we knew has long gone and been sold to the money men and the advertisers. Allow money to be put into football by selling the Stadium to an NFL franchise. So England may actually have to play a few games around the Country. Something that people were moaning for not that long ago. Hope it happens and little Englanders don't mess it up.

King Arthur never existed.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on April 27, 2018, 10:40:36 AM

Whose Round Table was it then.

Goofy never existed either, they are all a pack of lies.

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 27, 2018, 10:46:36 AM

Love to go there but it's off-topic.

Woolly Mammoth

I am having the same problem as they have had with the Riverside Stand Reconstruction. Maybe it's the same construction company. They are all walking around in Hi Vis Donkey Jackets also.
I am trying to build a Nuclear Bomb Shelter in my back garden, but its been delay after delay.
First of all it was her next door. Then there were those dam moles, and now they have discovered an old Saxon Burial Site, more skeletons than in my broom cupboard.
No sign of King Arthur though.
I would imagine the Riverside Stand Reconstruction will get finished first now. Which should accommodate more people also.

Never forget your Roots.

cmg

The old, 'iconic', Wembley Stadium, of course, was never owned by the FA or the Country or anything other than a commercial limited company (who may even have had 'foreign' shareholders (shock, horror). The FA, like the other sports and events that occured there, merely hired it for football matches.
The bloke who originally bought it (Elvin) lent it free of charge for the 1948 Olympics but dog racing held precedence over the 1966 World Cup, which is why the France v Uruguay match in England's group was held at the (totally unsuitable for football) White City.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Holders on April 27, 2018, 10:51:36 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 27, 2018, 10:46:36 AM

Love to go there but it's off-topic.

If by saying that King Arthur never existed you are saying  he was a fictional character that has been going on longer in British tradition than football and the false tradition of Engerland at Wembley Stadium. Then we are clearly in agreement. Nationalism is made up by people who invent false borders on a map. But that may be going off topic too.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope