Sheff Utd
0 - 1 Preston NE
Wolves
0 - 0 Sheff Wed
Middlesborough
2 - 0 Millwall

WhiteJC

Mitrovic Scores Winner – Sunderland Finish Bottom Of The Championship

Aleksandar Mitrovic cannot stop scoring, and he scored the winner last night at Craven Cottage in Fulham's 2-1 win over Sunderland.

That was Mitro's 12th goal in only 16 appearances for Fulham who are still in with a chance to earn second place and automatic promotion.

They are 2 points above Cardiff City with one game to play, but the south Wales side have a game in hand.

That defeat now will definitely send Sunderland down to League One – and a second successive relegation as owner Ellis Short's reign has been treacherous for the club.

And they are now 4 points behind second-bottom Burton Albion and will, therefore, finish bottom of the league – they currently have 34 points.

Last season Newcastle finished top of the Championship with 94 points.

It's really a sad state of affairs for Sunderland AFC.

We may have a contrarian view to most  Newcastle fans, but we would much rather have Sunderland in the Premier League.

It's good for football and very good for the region.

Sunderland fans will hope they get a new owner in who can bring them straight back up to the Championship next season.

My friend Peter, who's over here in Raleigh, NC was born and bred in the Sunderland region, and he's a big fan.

He's devastated – as I would be if it was Newcastle in this situation.

And we still expect Rafa to sell Aleksandar Mitrovic this summer for something north of £20M.

http://www.nufcblog.com/2018/04/28/mitrovic-scores-winner-sunderland-finish-bottom-of-the-championship/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic: 'The Championship is complicated'

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has praised his side after they recovered from a deficit to register a 2-1 victory over Sunderland on Friday night.

Needing a win to guarantee that the automatic promotion race in the Championship went down to the final day, Fulham trailed the already-relegated Black Cats before goals from Lucas Piazon and Aleksandar Mitrovic secured a win for the Cottagers.

Fulham now hold a two-point lead over Cardiff City - who face Hull City on Saturday - but Jokanovic insists that he has no plans to follow the game in the North-East.

The 49-year-old told BBC Radio 5 live: "You can see how complicated this competition is. We wanted to control the situation but didn't attack enough and take risks. In the second half, we started to move the ball better and there was a big difference with our passing.

"We can talk about our character and our confidence. I am not going to watch the Cardiff game. I have different plans."

Fulham have now gone 23 matches unbeaten at the second tier of English football.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/jokanovic-the-championship-is-complicated_324570.html

WhiteJC

Unbeaten Fulham loan star Aleksandar Mitrovic on the 'winning mentality' fuelling Premier League push

Undefeated: Mitrovic hasn't lost a league game since arriving at Fulham (Getty Images)

Sixteen games into his loan spell and Aleksandar Mitrovic is still yet to taste defeat. Keep that streak alive for the next month and, whether by the play-offs or league finish, Fulham will be a Premier League team.

If that does indeed transpire Mitrovic must go down as one of the most decisive pieces of transfer business in English football this season. For the cost of a loan fee and six months of wages Fulham will reap the £170million-plus rewards of life on England's top table.

Though Mitrovic was not the only piece of astute January business spearheaded by Slavisa Jokanovic, who also acquired full-backs Matt Targett and Cyrus Christie, he has been the most decisive.

Mitrovic's winner in a nervy 2-1 victory over already relegated Sunderland was his 12th goal since arriving at Craven Cottage and ensured that Fulham's unbeaten run in the Championship hit 23 games whilst safeguarding the Serbian's hot streak.

"I haven't lost and I hope I won't," Mitrovic said. "Hopefully we only have one game left and we win that as well.

"This team have a winning mentality, to not lose 23 games in a row you have to show character, mentality, a good relation between the players on and off the pitch."

Since Jokanovic's appointment Fulham have played some of the best football in the second tier, their midfield of Kevin McDonald, Tom Cairney and Stefan Johansen able to pass opponents into submission on a weekly basis.

What they haven't consistently had is anyone to ensure their dominance is reflected on the scoresheet, with too much of a goalscoring burden placed on the brilliant shoulders of 17-year-old Ryan Sessegnon.

But just as Mitrovic has been good for Fulham so have Fulham been good for Mitrovic.

"Yeah I score goals but the team is doing well so it's much easier for me when they create chances and play for me," he says. "When they get close to the goal every player looking for me.

"That's our style, our tactic: to try to find me. Any striker would enjoy playing in that system." Fulham were a long way from their best on Friday night, shocked by the fighting spirit Sunderland showed in a game where all they could do was spoil the Cottagers' party. Joel Asoro's strike was cancelled out by Lucas Piazon but the hosts struggled to get Mitrovic into the game in the first period.

Winner: Mitrovic celebrates his goal against Sunderland (Getty Images)

That changed after half-time and after a snap shot from outside the box had been well saved Mitrovic pounced on his second chance, rising highest to meet Stefan Johansen's free-kick and head home a winner that ratchets up the pressure on Cardiff, who must win at Hull on Saturday to stay in the drivers' seat on the final day of the Championship season.

"In this style as a striker I know I will get one or two chances but I don't think much about other things. When my chance came I was ready."

Mitrovic is hoping he has played his final game of the season at Craven Cottage but his Fulham career could last much longer than the remainder of the campaign.

On the full-time lap of appreciation Mitrovic made a point of thumping the Fulham badge as the home fans serenaded their hero.

"We'll see what happens," Mitrovic said of a return next season, though it is clear he wants to stay.

"I'm really happy, thankful to the fans, the staff, the players. Since the beginning I've really enjoyed it here. I don't know to thank them for all the kind words that I get, all the support from the fans, staff and every person who works in the club,

"We deserve to be in the top two but we will see what happens."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/unbeaten-fulham-loan-star-aleksandar-mitrovic-on-the-winning-mentality-fuelling-premier-league-push-a3825986.html

WhiteJC

Odoi hails Fulham's patience
by DAN on APRIL 28, 2018

Denis Odoi admitted Fulham were far from their best during a tense victory over Sunderland at Craven Cottage last night and hailed Slavisa Jokanovic's side's patience and character that ground out a crucial win.

Goals from Lucas Piazon and Aleksandar Mitrovic ensured that the battle for automatic promotion will definitely go down to the final day of the season after Joel Asoro had given Sunderland a shock lead midway through the first half. Odoi told FulhamFCTV after the final whistle that he wasn't expecting an easy game and that Fulham had to work hard for the three points:

It wasn't an easy game. We needed to be careful because Sunderland got relegated and they weren't just going to give us the victory. I think we were a little bit unfortunate with the way they went 1-0 up – I don't think there was really any danger. I also think we weren't playing our best game. We just needed to stay calm, have patience and we were lucky to get the goal just before half time.

I think we had it also last week. Millwall started very furious and they came out aggressive. We were a bit lucky that they didn't get a goal and then in the second half we adapted and we showed everybody the way that we play. It was the same today. Sunderland weren't as dangerous as Millwall but we needed to stay game and play grown-up football and just trust ourselves and trust our game.

If I was playing for Sunderland, I'm not coming here just to give you the victory – I will fight for every piece of grass and that's what they did. We didn't expect any less. They played with a lot of freedom and it was a very tough game.

Odoi will be watching Cardiff's trip to Hull City with interest after the Whites leapfrogged their promotion rivals by gaining maximum points last night.

That's the best we could have done and now we are putting pressure on Cardiff again. It's going to be an interesting game tomorrow. We know from experience that going to Hull isn't an easy game, but Cardiff are also playing for promotion so they will give it their all. We just hope for the best and if they win tomorrow then we're going to win next week and hopefully then Reading can help us.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/04/odoi-hails-fulhams-patience/

WhiteJC

Mitrovic marvels at Fulham's 'winning mentality'
by DAN on APRIL 28, 2018

Aleksandar Mitrovic toasted Fulham's winning mentality after his late header secured a precious three points against Sunderland last night and the Serbian striker believes the Whites can claim the second automatic promotion place after climbing above Cardiff City in the see-saw race for the Premier League.

The on-loan Newcastle striker's decisive header was his twelve goal of a fruitful loan spell at Craven Cottage – and his impact since arriving in west London back in January has been massive. Mitrovic hasn't lost a game in a Fulham shirt and has helped the club string together a 23 match unbeaten run that has seen the Londoners reel in Cardiff having languished well behind Neil Warnock's men at the turn of the year.

Mitrovic told the press following his crucial winner:

I haven't lost and I hope I won't. Hopefully we only have one game left and we win that as well. This team have a winning mentality, to not lose 23 games in a row you have to show character, mentality, a good relation between the players on and off the pitch.

The 23 year-old was quick to pay tribute to both his team-mates and head coach Slavisa Jokanovic for offering him so many scoring opportunities with Fulham's fluid style of football.

Yeah, I score goals but the team is doing well so it's much easier for me when they create chances and play for me. When they get close to the goal every player looking for me. That's our style, our tactic: to try to find me. Any striker would enjoy playing in that system. In this style as a striker I know I will get one or two chances but I don't think much about other things. When my chance came I was ready.

Mitrovic gave his strongest hint yet that he would very happy to make his Fulham move permanent come the summer:

We'll see what happens. I'm really happy, thankful to the fans, the staff, the players. Since the beginning I've really enjoyed it here. I don't know to thank them for all the kind words that I get, all the support from the fans, staff and every person who works in the club. We deserve to be in the top two but we will see what happens.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/04/mitrovic-marvels-at-fulhams-winning-mentality/

WhiteJC

Targett nursing injury but should play at Birmingham

Matt Targett suffered an ankle injury in Fulham's win over Sunderland but is expected to be fit for the game at Birmingham next week.

The on-loan Southampton left-back was forced off after 39 minutes at Craven Cottage on Friday and was replaced by Aboubakar Kamara.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic said: "He has some ankle problem. I don't know how he is yet but we expect he is going to be available."

Targett, 22, has made 17 appearances since joining the Whites in January.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulhams-loan-southampton-defender-targett-nursing-injury

WhiteJC

Fighting Fulham keep the dream alive
by SARAH on APRIL 28, 2018

You would have got very long odds on Fulham taking the Championship's automatic promotion race to the season's final weekend after their meek surrender at Molineux in November? Had you suggested the Whites might be capable of catching Cardiff following their capitulation at Sunderland before Christmas, the men in white coats might have fetched you from the Stadium of Light. But after seeing Chris Coleman's men at Craven Cottage last night, there can be little doubt that the momentum is with Slavisa Jokanovic's men as the battle to join Wolves back in the top flight comes down to the wire.

Bar the first few weeks of the season, there has been so much to admire about Fulham's majestic football. It took a while for Jokanovic to drill his possession based philosophy into some of his new signings and, as Tim Ream suggested a few weeks ago, there could well have been a subconscious hangover from the pain of losing to Reading in last year's play-off semi-finals. Much has been written about Fulham's sublime football and the splendour of their all-conquering midfield trio as well as the continued development of the awe-inspiring Ryan Sessegnon, but perhaps Jokanovic's biggest success has been instilling a never-say-attitude into his troops.

His side have clawed back an eighteen point deficit to sit above Cardiff this afternoon, although Neil Warnock's men have an absolutely pivotal trip to Hull City ahead of them later today. Fulham's belief in their ability and the quality of their football has been absolute and, even if they haven't always touched the very high standards that the Serbian head coach sets for his players, the Whites have put together an incredible 23-match unbeaten run that has seen them dispatch the division's best sides and display the crucial characteristic that the very best sides possess – an uncanny ability to win ugly.

Fulham didn't play well against a stubborn and spirited Sunderland side last night, but they did just enough to get over the line. They needed the resistance typified by Kevin McDonald's tenacious bite in the tackle, the desire demonstrated by Ryan Fredericks' repeated bursts deep into enemy territory down the right flank and the desire demonstrated by Aboubakar Kamara. The French forward, derided as a figure of fun by many during his first few appearances in a Fulham shirt, has been waiting a while for his opportunity since Aleksandar Mitrovic's arrival in SW6 but he turned the game on its head with a barnstorming display down the right flank.

Kamara must be an absolute nightmare for defenders to mark because I'm not entirely convinced he knows what he is going to do next. When he's on song he is irresistible and it is another indication of his improvement since August that he delivered such a virtuoso performance as a marauding winger last night. Gone is the hesitancy when he gets into a threatening position, as shown he galloped down the wing and slipped in Fredericks for the vital equaliser. There are still all the signature touches of a young man enjoying the joy of football, with a couple of arty back flicks thrown in for good measure, and it was fitting that Jokanovic's gamble of sending Kamara on for the injured Matt Targett rescued what could have been a desperate situation for Fulham.

Jokanovic insisted afterwards that all the pressure is on Cardiff as the Bluebirds contemplate their final two games of the season. He's right. Warnock's men have been up there for most of the year and have shown a few signs of spluttering with the finishing line in sight. You can see from the way that the Fulham boys have been going about their football over the past few weeks that there is a burgeoning belief amongst this squad – a feeling that they are on the cusp of something special. If Cardiff do stumble against Hull or Reading, the Whites are primed to take advantage.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/04/fighting-fulham-keep-the-dream-alive/

WhiteJC

EXCLUSIVE: West Ham confident of sealing deals for Fulham duo

West Ham believe they will land Fulham pair Tom Cairney and Ryan Fredericks this summer, we can exclusively reveal.

Both players have switched to the same high profile agent in the last 12-months, with the idea of leaving Fulham at the end of this season.

Fredericks, 25, is available on a free transfer, and we can reveal that Fulham only became aware of this earlier this year – as their hierarchy believed they had an option to extend – but as they prepared to take that up, it emerged that was not the case.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic is known to be seething with the club over their failure to tie down Fredericks – but we understand that he has accepted that Cairney is leaving, indeed it is understood the relationship between the two is 'frosty' at best.

Cairney has made it clear to Fulham that he feels he needs to move, whether they are promoted or not – and West Ham are already confident that they can strike a deal to land both players.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-west-ham-confident-of-sealing-deals-for-fulham-duo

WhiteJC

THESE 2 FULHAM PLAYERS NEVER GET MUCH ATTENTION AND DESERVE MORE CREDIT

Once again, we are entering the business end of the season with Fulham looking to gain promotion in the Sky Bet Championship.

Last season we saw Fulham collapse in the play-offs, with Slavisa Jokanovic's side forced to dust themselves down and go again during the 2017/18 campaign.

This season Fulham have played one of the Championship's most exciting styles of football, with perhaps Wolves the only club comparable to Jokanovic's side during the second-half of the season.

The likes of Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon have taken plenty of plaudits over the course of the season, and rightly so, with that duo magnificent and sure to be heading to the Premier League, with or without Fulham, next season.

Since January, Aleksandar Mitrovic has been another that has been extremely impressive in an efficient side.

Here at FLW, we take a look at Fulham's squad, identifying TWO players we believe don't get enough credit...

Kevin McDonald
McDonald holds Fulham together in a defensive midfield role.

The likes of Stefan Johansen and Cairney get freedom from McDonald's role, with the 29-year-old shielding Fulham's defence magnificently.

Every team needs a player like McDonald and Fulham are lucky to have one of the best holding midfielders outside the top-flight.

Matt Targett
Targett is on-loan at Fulham from Southampton, but is another who has allowed attacking talent to excel.

The 22-year-old's role at left-back has allowed Sessegnon to play higher up the field, which has transformed the teenager into one of English football's most exciting talents.

Nobody can deny that Targett has played a role in helping Sessegnon excel.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/these-2-fulham-players-never-get-much-attention-and-deserve-more-credit/

WhiteJC

Fulham promotion hopes hit as Cardiff City win to go into final day of Championship season in second place

Fulham's hopes of season automatic promotion to the Premier League took a hit on Saturday as rivals Cardiff City won to go second heading into the final day of the Championship season.

Aleksandar Mitrovic headed Fulham to a 2-1 win over relegated Sunderland at Craven Cottage to take briefly take hold of second place - and automatic promotion to the top flight - on Friday evening.

However, Neil Warnock's Bluebirds had a game in hand over Fulham, and secured a vital 2-0 away win at Hull City on Saturday to leapfrog Slavisa Jokanovic's west London side.

That result leaves Cardiff on 89 points heading into the final game of the Championship campaign, with Fulham just a point behind.

okanovic's men are in superb form, having gone 22 Championship games unbeaten after a difficult start to the 2017-18 campaign.

Cardiff's final game sees them host Reading at 12:30pm on Sunday, 6 May, while Fulham face a trip to Birmingham at the same time.

Cardiff are guaranteed to be playing Premier League football if they win, while any other result and a Fulham victory would send the Cottagers up.

Neither game is likely to be easy for the promotion chasers with Birmingham (21st) and Reading (19th) both still in danger of relegation on the final day.

Reading have won two of the last six league games, while Birmingham have won four of their last seven after a terrible seven-game losing streak.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-promotion-hopes-hit-cardiff-city-win-second-place-final-day-championship-season-a3826196.html

WhiteJC

Hull City 0-2 Cardiff City

Sean Morrison's opening goal was disputed by Hull, who felt their goalkeeper was fouled

Cardiff City secured a vital win at Hull City to ensure their automatic promotion hopes remain in their hands.

Two goals from skipper Sean Morrison mean Cardiff will join Wolves in the Premier League if they match third-placed Fulham's result next Sunday.

Cardiff host Reading while Fulham visit Birmingham, with both opponents still in danger of being relegated.

Morrison headed Cardiff ahead before rounding off a breakaway move that made the result safe for the Bluebirds.

The Tigers had lost just one of their last nine home league matches against Cardiff. But in truth they never threatened the Welsh side, who kept their nerve when it mattered.

Scotland goalkeeper Allan McGregor played for Hull despite being linked with a summer move to Rangers. For the Bluebirds, midfielder Aron Gunnarsson started - but his injury-hit campaign continued as he was withdrawn with a knee injury inside 10 minutes.

The onus was certainly on Cardiff to force the pace but it was the hosts who created the better of the early chances, with former Cardiff forward Frazier Campbell breaking clear, only to be denied by a Sol Bamba tackle.

However, despite Hull's last match ending in a 5-5 draw and Cardiff knowing that nothing less than three points would do, the opening half hour was extremely cagey and low on opportunities.

Cardiff desperately needed something to settle their nerves in front of a large travelling contingent and their big moment arrived just after the half hour mark when skipper Morrison rose to head home Joe Ralls' teasing corner.

It was a big moment for Morrison, particularly after his error led to Derby's third goal in their 3-1 midweek win over the Bluebirds.

Ralls almost doubled Cardiff's lead in first half stoppage time, but his speculative free-kick drifted just wide of the post before McGregor produced a double save to deny Junior Hoilett.

Cardiff were growing in confidence and should have made it 2-0 when Callum Paterson had the goal at his mercy, but McGregor denied him before Hull scrambled clear.

McGregor was in fine form and pulled off a double save when he denied first Kenneth Zohore and then Morrison from another header.

Hull saw a penalty appeal waved away when Frazier Campbell appeared to be fouled by Lee Peltier, but Cardiff made the result safe when Zohore and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing combined and Morrison swept the ball home.

Hull City manager Nigel Adkins:

"I'm really disappointed.

"But (assistant manager) Andy Crosby's just said 'listen, remember what we've come here to do, to make sure we stayed in the division and we've done that'.

"The big picture is we're in the Championship next season."

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock:

"It's as big a game probably in my career when you look at it. Everybody keeps expecting us to fall away.

"I know we're limited and not everybody's cup of tea but we're not going away, we're like a rash. I'm ever so proud of them, they just don't know when they're beat.

"They keep going, they're a good group. They're hard games, not pretty but at this stage of the season you can't expect anything else."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43846721

WhiteJC

Hull 0-2 Cardiff: Sean Morrison double lifts Bluebirds back into second

Cardiff regained pole position in the race to clinch the second automatic promotion spot in the Sky Bet Championship with a 2-0 victory over Hull at the KCOM Stadium.

Fulham's come-from-behind win over Sunderland on Friday night had put the pressure on the Bluebirds, but the Welsh side moved back up to second spot courtesy of captain Sean Morrison's double.

It was far from a vintage display from Neil Warnock's team but they did what was required in an attritional contest to reclaim their one-point lead over the Cottagers ahead of the regular-season finale next weekend.

Hull had scored 14 goals in their last four matches and drew 5-5 at Bristol City last weekend but, despite some decent pressure, they did not force Cardiff goalkeeper Neil Etheridge into a save.

That incredible stalemate at Ashton Gate guaranteed their survival and they were playing merely for pride in their final home game of a forgettable season, but they ran into a far more clinical side on Saturday.

Both sides were forced into a change before a quarter of an hour had passed, with Cardiff midfielder Aron Gunnarsson limping off to be replaced by Marko Grujic and Hull defender Angus MacDonald making way for Ondrej Mazuch after appearing to land awkwardly.

It was Hull who fashioned the first meaningful opportunity as Stephen Kingsley's inviting low cross found Fraizer Campbell, but the former Cardiff striker's shot was well blocked by Sol Bamba.

However, chances were in short supply in a scrappy opening half hour as Cardiff, in particular, struggled to fashion an opening.

But they went ahead with their first effort on target in the 32nd minute as Morrison rose highest to power home a header from Joe Ralls' inswinging corner.

Eight minutes were added on at the end of the first half because of the lengthy earlier stoppages in play and Cardiff went close to doubling their lead in that time as Junior Hoilett's drive was beaten away by Allan McGregor, who then gathered the forward's follow-up header.

The Hull goalkeeper has been heavily linked with a return to Rangers this week and showed why he is in demand by keeping out an unmarked Callum Paterson's header at the start of the second half.

Cardiff seemed content to sit on their one-goal advantage thereafter although Kenneth Zohore tested McGregor from just outside the area.

Hull then broke down the other end and there was much frustration when referee Andy Davies was unmoved after Campbell went down in the area after a full-blooded challenge from Morrison.

With rain steadily falling and Hull pressing for an equaliser, Cardiff countered brilliantly to all but guarantee the important three points 10 minutes from time.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing burst downfield before teeing up a free Morrison, who made no mistake in slotting past a helpless McGregor to the delight of a sizeable travelling contingent.

That seemed to settle Cardiff and they could have added further gloss to the scoreline, with Zohore shooting wide after rounding McGregor.

The managers
Nigel Adkins: "I'm really disappointed. But (assistant) Andy Crosby's just said: 'listen, remember what we've come here to do, to make sure we stayed in the division and we've done that'.

"(The defeat) highlighted several things for me. Credit to them, but there was no flow to the game, it was stop-start. It was tedious to watch from my point of view. But the big picture is we're in the Championship next season."

Neil Warnock: "Its as big a game probably in my career when you look at (it). Everybody keeps expecting us to fall away. I know were limited and not everybody's cup of tea but were not going away, were like a rash. Im ever so proud of them, they just don't know when they're beat.

"They keep going, they're a good group. They're hard games, not pretty but at this stage of the season you cant expect anything else."

http://www.skysports.com/football/hull-city-vs-cardiff/report/375151

WhiteJC

Cardiff City have proved the doubters wrong once again and now it's Fulham who are left praying for a miracle

Cardiff City have proven their doubters wrong again to reaffirm their control of the automatic promotion race heading into the final day.

You couldn't help but doubt them. They've proved you wrong time and again, but still, you couldn't help but doubt them.

The Cardiff City 'bottler' mentality had firmly sunk in once again, we thought, as defeat to Derby on Tuesday meant Warnock's men made the long trip to Hull City with an unbearable weight of pressure on their shoulders.

Fulham – with a bit of luck and a bit of skill- did their job on Friday night to make it half a season unbeaten and they continue to go like a train.

But not even they can catch the Bluebirds, who just refuse to be caught. They blew their massive lead over the Cottagers and even since then, they've slipped up against Wolves, Aston Villa and Derby in games that felt like must-wins.

However, slip up once more they could not as they travelled to a resurgent and free-scoring Hull City in the penultimate game of the season.

And slip-up they did not. Captain Sean Morrison – who must have felt Tuesday's defeat against Derby more than anyone after his involvement in the build-up to the game – stepped up and lead by example, scoring twice to get the job done.

Though, the job isn't quite done yet, despite the Bluebirds breaking their club record for points in a season (89), surpassing the title-winning team of 2012/13 (87).

Cardiff must match or better Fulham's result on the final day to secure promotion and only then will many fans allow their emotions to flow.

This club has been hurt when the chips are down too many times to allow any complacency in the stands, even now, when they are on the brink.

And perhaps rightly so. That's the mentality Neil Warnock has instilled into the players and it's reflected in the stands.

Though even that won't prevent a party atmosphere next weekend when the Bluebirds host not-yet-safe Reading, knowing a win will finish the 46-game-long job. It will secure promotion.

Reading have something to play for, meaning it won't be easy for Warnock's men, but equally, Birmingham have something to play for just over 100 miles down the road.

The Blues host Fulham on the final day and they are set to sell out St Andrews for the clash.

It's a game every Birmingham fan wants to see and you can't blame them. They've experienced the elation of staying up the final day twice in the last four years and both days have been occasions to remember, even if they were born out of disappointing circumstances.

So there's drama to come, but now it's different.

Cardiff, who were expected to blow up at the Kcom, are still in control and regardless of what Neil Warnock says about the 'hunted' and the 'hunter', they've relished that control this season.

They've shown that steel and that character time and time again when they've needed to produce.

Next weekend is the last time they will have to produce – as long as they get the desired result – and the pressure is back on.

But now we know they can still handle that pressure after doubt begun to set in with defeats to Wolves, Villa and Derby.

Now the confidence has returned and the feeling that the job will be done.

Whether it is done, is another question and we will only find out next Sunday, but you just can't underestimate the impact of this Cardiff City win over Hull.

A squad that may even have doubted themselves have silenced so many doubters and now Fulham, who were still being backed by almost everyone, will be feeling deflated.

Now it's Fulham who need a miracle on the final day and if Neil Warnock has any say in it, they won't get one. Not with a record-breaking eighth promotion on the line and not in front of a Cardiff City Stadium expecting to celebrate a Premier League return.

http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/cardiff-control-destiny-final/

WhiteJC

Fulham's irrepressible Aleksandar Mitrovic believes club 'deserve' promotion to Premier League
Fulham's victory over Sunderland on Friday night kept the fight for automatic promotion alive, meaning second place would be decided by their final game next weekend

Aleksandar Mitrovic believes Fulham 'deserve' a place in the Premier League next season, after his winning goal extended the club's unbeaten run to 23 games.

Victory over Sunderland on Friday night kept the fight for automatic promotion alive, meaning second place would be decided by their final game next weekend.

The Newcastle loanee is one of the most in-form strikers in the Championship, having scored 12 goals since arriving in West London at the end of January. Speaking after the game, Mitrovic said Fulham's impressive form is worthy of promotion, acknowledging the impact his own performances have had on their success.

"I think we show that we deserve to be in the first two places for sure," he said. "I say this, but this is a really tough league so you never know what is going to happen, that's why this league is the hardest."

Fulham have been on an unassailable run in the second half of the season, especially at home, where their last defeat came in October.

Both Mitrovic and his parent club in the north east would have taken particular pride in him scoring the winning goal against an already relegated Sunderland. His header at the back post from a free-kick with 14 minutes to go gave him a "release" as the pressure was beginning to mount.

"This team have a winning mentality," said the Serbian. "To not lose 23 games in a row is a big thing and you have to show character, to show mentality to have good squad and have a good relationship between the players on the pitch and outside the pitch as well, so I think it's a really big thing."

Before arriving at Fulham, Mitrovic hadn't started a league game at Newcastle for nine months, his only goal coming in a substitute appearance in August. The 23-year-old is now the target man in Slavisa Jokanovic's team, and the manager's tactics have certainly suited him so far.

"He [Jokanovic] showed me every day support that he believed in me, that he trusted me," he said. "And of course you can see on the pitch that I'm really positive. I'm not going to say I'm full of confidence, but I'm really confident. I really enjoy to play under him."

"Every game where we play in this style as a striker I know I will get one or two chances minimum," he added. "Every striker would enjoy to play in this system, and I really enjoy it and I'm really happy. I score goals, I'm really happy about that but the most important thing is we put pressure on Cardiff."

Mitrovic has made it clear he's enjoying his football at Craven Cottage, but whether both he and the likes of the Championship player of the season Ryan Sessegnon remain here depends heavily on which division the club is in come June.

"I hope we will be in the Premier League and we will see how it's going to work," Mitrovic said, "but at the moment this football that Fulham played this season works very well for us and we have to stick with our style and looking forward to recover now and to prepare for the final game."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/fulham-aleksandar-mitrovic-premier-league-a8327436.html

WhiteJC

'Typical Blues' Formidable Fulham are cranking up Birmingham City's familiar last day tension
It's going to be another nervous climax to a Championship campaign for BCFC

MINI MATCH REPORT
For the third time in five seasons Birmingham City's bid for survival goes to the wire - and adding to their last day tension is the formidable form of promotion-chasing Fulham.

Garry Monk's men were unable to build on Che Adams' opening goal in a depressing afternoon at Loftus Road.

Wins for Barnsley and Burton mean it will be yet another nervy season finale for Blues.

Monk made one change to the side which beat Sheffield United last time out - Cheikh Ndoye coming in for Maikel Kieftenbeld.

QPR actually made the more assertive start but it was Blues who took the lead.

That came in the 27th minute as Jota spread to the left to Jacques Maghoma.

The winger worked his way into the box, went outside his man and pulled low back to Adams who swept home form about eight yards.

However, the lead lasted less than two minutes.

QPR came back upfield, down the Blues' left,

Freeman's cross was headed back across goal by Ryan Manning and Bright Osayi-Samuel fired home.

The 21-year nearly put the hosts ahead just before half time but David Stockdale brilliantly tipped over his drive.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/typical-blues-formidable-fulham-cranking-14590410

WhiteJC

It was four wins from five, now one from one will do for the "rash" that is Cardiff City.

I've been quite critical of Cardiff City in recent weeks for a couple of reasons. First, even if you allow for the fact that, inevitably, the level of pressure that they are under currently means that it would be unfair and wrong to expect the sort of displaythat blew away Aston Villa in our first home game of the campaign, I've thought our general level of performance has been some way short of what you'd expect from a side chasing automatic promotion in late April.

Second, in two of our recent games, we have been involved in incidents and/or periods of play that you just don't associate with sides that win automatic promotion. To miss two penalties in added time in our match with Champions Wolves was Keystone Cops stuff, but worse was what happened on Tuesday against Derby.

Thankfully, the computer problems I have encountered since my move house last month would seem to be a thing of the past, but a somewhat unfortunate by product of this is that I've now been able to watch highlights (although "highlights" is surely a complete inappropriate word under the circumstances!) of the 3-1 loss and I have to ask what on earth were our usually reliable defence doing!

Before I forget though, a word of praise to Callum Paterson for a fine goal which deserved better than to be remembered as something of an afterthought on a night where we collapsed in ignominious fashion. Listening to the game on the radio at the time, the impression I got was that Derby second goal, courtesy of Yanic Wildschut's aberration was the prime contender for any compilation of prize bloopers, but it was as nothing compared to the catalogue of errors that was Derby's equaliser!

However, Tuesday is over and done with now and things have moved on since then. I could go on at length about what has been wrong with us during April, but, to do so, would be to ignore what the 2-0 win over Hull in our last away game of the regular season means. The fact of the matter is that, with forty five out of forty six matches played, we find ourselves needing only to beat Reading at Cardiff City Stadium a week today to clinch second spot in the Championship and a return to the Premier League.

That last sentence puts everything else into perspective – a season which had some tipping us as possible dark horse candidates for a top six finish, is going to end with us either being runners up or, if we are pipped by Fulham and finish third, we would end up either sharing the highest points total by a third placed side with Brighton in the last twenty years if we lose to Reading and being the first team to reach ninety points in a Championship season and not go up automatically since Sunderland in 1997/98 if we draw with them.

In virtually any other season in recent memory, we would already be celebrating promotion with a points total like we have now – as it is, we two more points than the 12/13 Championship winning side managed and there's still three more of them to play for.

A win in eight days time would see us averaging two points a game over a forty six match season and although comparisons are hard to make because of differences in the number of points given for a win and the number of matches played in a season, my hardly infallible research would seem to indicate that only 1946/47 would surpass that record in terms of points per game since we entered the Football League ninety eight years ago.

So, even if our regular season was to end in tears next week and then disappointment in the Play Offs, 2017/18 would be one of City's best season's ever in terms of their playing record, as opposed to finishing position.

My feeling is that it will turn out to be a difficult season to analyse in terms of trying to explain quite why we were as successful as we have been, but our record does show that critics like me (and there have been plenty of others on messageboards who have been downbeat since Tuesday) have been guilty of over emphasising the setbacks when they have come along and rather taking all of the wins for granted.

One conclusion I did reach around the time we were taking one point out of a possible nine in games against Sheffield United, Wolves and Villa is that by taking forty seven points from our first twenty two games and seventy nine points from our first thirty eight was that we had given ourselves a buffer. Our poor results in recent weeks against sides at or near the top of the table might have set a few alarm bells ringing regarding the size of the task we have if we do get to the Premier League, but, in truth, they were relatively unimportant as long as we kept on doing what we have been for most of the season – beating those sides that we should be seeing off when you look at the league table.

We may have been low in confidence after losing at Villa, but, Derby apart, our last five league games were made up of matches with sides that were likely to have little to play for – furthermore, they were all teams from the areas of the table that we had made a habit of beating.

Norwich, Forest, Hull and Reading are all sides that have barely been mentioned in terms of a top six challenge since the action started in August – indeed, only the first named have not been seen as relegation candidates at various times during the campaign.

As it turns out, we will be playing a side who will have something to play for next week, because Reading's very poor form of late means that a fairly freakish set of results could still see them relegated next week.

It really will be a great end to the Championship season next week, because the only issues that are known for sure in terms of promotion and relegation with just one game left is that Wolves are going up and Sunderland are going down. Whichever one out of us and Fulham that comes third are assured of a Play Off place, as are Villa and Middlesbrough, but there are so many games besides ours which will hardly fall into the "quietly winding down for summer" category!

For example, Fulham, who were given a scare at Craven Cottage on Friday night by Sunderland before moving above us again thanks to a 2-1 win, have to go to a Birmingham side that can still go down after their 3-1 loss at QPR. Despite a series of heavy defeats (including an awful 4-0 home loss to mid table Ipswich yesterday), Reading's goal difference is a lot better than Birmingham's so, realistically, the only way the Brummies can finish above them is if they do us a huge favour by avoiding defeat against Fulham.

As someone who had a quiet fancy for Brentford squeezing into the top six, their 2-0 defeat at a Barnsley side that had looked virtual certs for the drop surprised me and it's another season of Championship football next season now for the team that has had more shots at goal than anyone else this season. Barnsley now go to Derby where the home side will be favourites to take the last Play Off place, because, realistically, only Preston, who are two points behind them with a worse goal difference, have any hope of overhauling them now.

Remarkably, the sequence of matches with issues at the top and bottom of the league continues because Preston entertain Burton, who are making a great late bid to avoid the drop after recording a third consecutive win yesterday. Burton are still in the bottom three by virtue of Barnsley's better goal difference, but things are looking bleak now for the team Burton beat, Bolton, who play Forest at home knowing that nothing but a win can give them a chance of staying up.

So, you can see that it will take a few shock results next weekend for Reading to suffer relegation a season after they had been beaten Play Off Finalists, but they will have to come to Cardiff next week with the attitude that Burton, Barnsley, Birmingham and Bolton could all end up winning.

Does that mean that City can start thinking in terms of the hard work being done already and they are as good as up? Of course they can't – another penalty or defensive catastrophe may be just around the corner, but they can take some comfort from a home record which shows that Reading have to do what only Sheffield Wednesday out of the sides from Brentford in ninth place downwards have succeeded in doing this season in their visit to Cardiff – prevent City winning.

City can also take confidence from a good job done at Hull. With fives scored at Burton and Bristol City and fours in home matches with Norwich and QPR, the Humberside club have been in free scoring form recently, but we are not the sort of side that gets involved in 5-5 extravaganzas like the one seen at Ashton Gate last weekend. Given how poorly we defended at Pride Park, I'm pretty sure that there would have been plenty of time spent on the training pitch ironing out issues which, to be fair, have been rarities for the team over the past eight months.

Indeed, the BBC's stats show that, as is usually the case when you're playing Cardiff City, Hull had a lot more of the ball (67/33), but they didn't manage a single effort on target, while up the other end, ex City loannee Alan McGregor had to make a series of sharp saves to keep us out.

Having been "bullied" by ex City striker Cameron Jerome for both of his goals for Derby on Tuesday, captain Sean Morrison was having to come back from what was a rare off night this season and it shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone that the man who has been a serious candidate to be our best and moist consistent performer this season would respond so well.

Anyone seeing that we had won 2-0 with a couple of Morrison goals would no doubt be thinking that both of the goals were like the first one – a close in header from a dead ball situation (a Joe Ralls corner (in other words, typical Cardiff!). This time however, they'd be wrong because, Morrison, who seems to enjoy the odd foray forward from open play, popped up to receive a cross from Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (who, encouragingly, shows up quite frequently in these highlights) , step inside a defender and place a left foot shot into the net in a manner which a seasoned striker would have been well pleased with.

The suspicion that, in the same way it always seems to be one out of Kenneth Zohore and Gary Madine to play, only one out of Aron Gunnarsson or Marko Grujic to start in our midfield was given further credence yesterday when the Iceland captain sustained an early injury which it seems may be serious enough to put his World Cup Finals place in doubt this summer. Therefore, the young Serb came on in Gunnar's place, but he was to only last until half time as Neil Warnock, not for the first time as I recall, decided he should take Grujic off before he was sent off.

Craig Bryson was Grujic's half time replacement so, with only one sub left for the whole of the second half, the obligatory swapping of our strikers was delayed until the ninetieth minute as Madine was only given a few minutes to try to score that elusive first City goal.

Our manager has, probably rightly, pointed out the advantage Fulham have had by playing some of their recent games before us, but, as has usually been the case when this happened, City have responded by matching the Londoner's win with one of their own – on the other hand, Fulham dropped points against Brentford when they played after our win at Norwich.

According to Neil Warnock, we are a "rash that won't go away" when it comes to the top of the Championship table – it's an apt description for a team who, as our manager must delight in noting, have been a right bloody nuisance to the more fancied outfits around them. Neil Warnock's historic eighth promotion isn't won yet and it shouldn't be forgotten that we have looked much more fallible in recent weeks than the team that is contesting second place with us have, but we only need to do once more what we've been doing now for about a month – keeping Fulham at arm's length.

It's a side in dreadful form who their manager said were "shameful and embarrassing" in defeat by Ipswich yesterday who stand in our way, City need just the one more big push for that promotion and nearly all of the evidence of this season suggests they can do it.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/it-was-four-wins-from-five-now-one-from-one-will-do-for-the-rash-that-is-cardiff-city/

WhiteJC

Denis Odoi, PFA Champion

FFC Foundation Present Denis Odoi with the PFA Community Champion Award

Each season, the Professional Footballers' Association awards players in the Premier League, English Football League, and Women's Super League who have gone above and beyond in support of the community work carried out by their Club's Foundation.

This season, Fulham defender Denis Odoi is being recognised for his outstanding contribution in his role as the Foundation's Official Schools Ambassador.

A special presentation of the award took place on Tuesday, as part of his visit to the Football & Education programme, with Dave Palmer, Community Liaison Executive at the PFA, there to hand over the trophy.

Amy O'Brien, Head of Development at FFC Foundation, said of Denis' involvement: "Though he would never say this himself, Denis is the perfect fit for the Schools Ambassador role. He's jovial and honest which makes participants comfortable in asking for advice.

"When it comes to our student-athlete development programmes, his university studies in education make him an obvious choice for advocating the importance of balancing sport and education. FFC supporters will be well aware that his involvement extends far beyond the Schools Ambassador role, and we're pleased to formally recognise him in this way."

The Foundation would like to thank Denis, and the entire First Team, for their continued support and engagement.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/april/29/denis-odoi-pfa-champion