watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The View from South Texas The Cheats v. Fulham

Started by HatterDon, October 04, 2010, 03:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Well, now that most of Britain is asleep and now that the match has been over for nearly 34 hours, I'm finally ready to do my match report. In my defense, I had recorded matches to watch, and I didn't want to get on the Internet either Saturday or Sunday until those matches were either deleted or observed.

If there was a headline for this match, it would be: I'D BETTER NOT SEE ANY BITCHING ABOUT THE REFEREE FROM ANY FULHAM FAN

For the first time this season, (a) we were being broadcast live on a Saturday morning and (b) I wasn't ill, so I was able to join Ag to see if we could continue the "at least a point" run we had all of last season [until the Europa league final that is  :dft004: :dft004: :dft004: :dft004:]. I felt pretty good about our chances as I drove to The Lion and Rose at 0835 in a cool, sunny morning beneath a sky that remained cloudless the entire weekend. Our usual barman wasn't there, so I had to make do with the saucy barmaid whose chest is outlined in what is obviously going to be a multicolored tattoo view of the Grand Tetons some day. I was about to ask her if I could use some magic markers [I'd guarantee to stay inside the lines], when Ag showed up. I ordered my first Fullers ESB instead. Well, it was 0855.

The etiquette for the pub is that one big screen is reserved for each match with one match getting the sound for one half. Since the two [TWO?] Man U fans were there first, I said it was only fair that they get the sound. Thanks to Geordie plumbing however, they relinquised the sound after two minutes. They actually left before the match began. By that time the two of us had BOTH big screens with a hugely loud commentary that caused vibrations in my curly white hair. When some other United "supporters," came in shortly after the beginning of the 2nd half [these are supporters?], they were escored to a smaller screen away from our small gathering. By that time I had finished my second pint and had just ordered what would be my second of three breakfasts for the day. Interestingly, there appeared to be a total of ZERO Aston Villa and ZERO Spuds fans in the Alamo City on the morning, since it was just us two small groups. It is worth noting that the only thing the United front-runners found worthy of cheering all morning was West Ham's equalizer. Matt and I stuck around to return the favor if Sunderland kicked their asses at the death.

Oh yeah, the match.

Some comments about The Cheats. Green had a great match. There wasn't much he could have done about Deuce's goal, but he had to twist his trunk and reach behind him to keep Etuhu off the score sheet [how do people criticize Dickson for not scoring there, and not give Green his props?], and is the biggest reason we didn't get the three points we deserved. I thought Obinna was their best player, but Ag pointed out -- correctly -- that they have only one quality player, Scott Parker. I think that with the good form being shown by Blackpool and West Brom, this could be the season that justice is done and Wet Spam get to play their derbies against Millwall next season.

For Fulham: I thought Mark had a solid match. There wasn't a thing he could do about the goal, and he had good command of the penalty area. I think the return to health of young Mr. Stockdale has riveted Tha Big Aussie's attention. Folks, we have two talented in-form goalkeepers, and that ain't nearly a bad thing.

Back four: Baird did a creditable job at his 3rd best position. I'd love to see him running the right wing with Simon or Deuce. I think he has too much covering to do with Duff out there. My biggest fear about Hangeland's new hair[?] style came true: he had a playing moment like Konchesky too. I had just finished opining to Ag that I wouldn't trade our CB pairing for any in football anywhere, and Konch ... er The Norweigian Giant guested the ball to the claret and blue. Ag said that Baird could have intervened, but NOT scoring at that point would have been almost stunning. Picayune is on a bit of a run. He could wind up with 5 goals for the season! Salcido had another very good match. I don't see how the quibbling about him on Fulham sites can be justified. He is significantly better than Konchesky and is a legitimate goal threat going forward. The best of the bunch? Without a doubt it is Mr Hughes. What a brilliant player the guy is. In baseball there's an old expression about a guy who plays great defense with a minimum of obvious effort that goes: He could play in a tuxedo [dinner jacket]. Well, that's Aaron Hughes for me.

Midfield: Duff continues to be disappointing. I haven't seen a left back in the league that he could trouble for a second. At half-time Fox Soccer Channel Plus [which doesn't have a studio commentator] treated us to several football related tidbits, one of which was a selection of great goals from last season. It was almost enough to make us cry watching his brilliant strike against Everton last season. I think it might be time to emulate some of his teammates and announce his retirement from international football. He needs to devote all his energies to Fulham, or he's going to disappear from the game day squad as quickly as Pembridge did. Ag, who proudly wore his number last season, has gone back to "Dempsey 23." Me, I chose my PIPEX McBride. Oh yeah, midfield. Ag was very critical of Murphy's performance yesterday. I thought he was a bit off his last two performances, but I didn't see much that he did wrong. Etuhu continues to be the most improved player on the park every weekend. He was desperately unlucky not to get the winner. Simon? Well, I keep waiting for the beginning of a goal deluge from him. He's full of invention and is showing tremendous positional sense. He's the best we have in the midfield IMHO [your mileage may vary]. Gera came on early and didn't pull up any trees. It was his least distinguised stint. After he snatched at a shot from about 35 yards out, Ag opined that he's become so insecure that he's trying too desperately to score and impress MarkyMark. He'll do some good for Fulham this season, but not for a little while I'm afraid. The Norwegian Midget came onto the pitch completely without the notice of the game day television crew. At least Ag and I saw his uniform. I'm not sure what Mark had in mind there.

Strikers: I thought Eddie had a useful match. I thought he did everything fairly well, and it was good to actually have a striker on the pitch. Ultimately, I still think he'll be best as a 60-75th minute substitute, but he showed well enough to justify Mark's faith in him. At least I thought so. Ag thought he was totally lost out there although he -- unlike the Fulham supporters at Upton Park did not boo him as he left the pitch and cheer wildly for his replacement. Deuce had his best match of the season. He was menacing and he was committed to attacking. Unlike his fellow countryman, he thinks scoring first and passing second. I think it is no coincidence that his pairing with Eddie helped his form [unlike MY fellow countryman sitting next to me], but for whatever reason, I think he impressed his former hard-guy forward manager. When Joe Kamara came on, Ag and I agreed that the smartest thing someone on the bench could have said to him was "pretend this is the City of Manchester Stadium." Not only is Dio lethal there, but the combination of Kamara and Dempsey is lethal there. In a stunning mirror of last season's match at Upton Park, Dio hooked on to a brilliant pass from Deuce as time ran out and didn't convert it. Ag and I agreed that it was just rust. Oh, something else we agreed upon was that while Eddie was clipped in the box, it wasn't a penalty. We thought the ball had outrun him and that a penalty would have been very harsh.

And now comes the International Break. I'm hoping to hear that, for the next match against Spuds, we have two more healthy strikers [for a total of three]. We're never going to be the same without BobbyZ, but we've managed to remain undefeated two days into the third calendar month of the season. Yes, we've drawn 7 matches, but three of those are down to horrible mental lapses on the part of defenders and in ALL of them, we went for all three points to the last second. This makes me even more confident that we'll do well this season.

That's it for me. I wonder if there's any gin left in the house.

COYW
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Great read again Don
a couple things I would add after seeing us this season-one thing that Sparky needs to change is that we do seem to overplay the game,when we get in front of goal we are looking for that extra pass instead of players trusting themselves and taking the shot.
What I saw this Saturday was Clint backing himself and shooting on site when the chance presented itself.
Another thing I would add is it seems that this season the tackles are harder and are not being punished as often as they should-West Ham are not a nasty tackling side but they are fighting for there life even this early point in the season,some of the tackles that went in did seem very "robust" to say the least :001:

Burt

A good summary Mr HD sir. This is the sort of away performance we should be starting to cobble together consistently. It was a shame we didn't come away with all 3 points.

Lighthouse

Can a point out that the real Picayune never runs. This Piccaninny that plays for Spam is but a pale (well dark pale?) imitation.

Thought the penalty was a penalty. Hands on back and trip is a penalty wherever the ball goes. Even MOTD God luv em, said it was. I have said so often that it makes my nose bleed that I prefer a forward playing for us and not a midfield player, For once Demps stood up only to be knocked down and looked just like a forward playing for Fulham should. Rolling around on the floor clutching various injured parts of his anatomy. EJ I have no problem with. He is what he is and looks better with every game. No he is not the answer but like Harry O and the boat he never finishes (called The Answer) EJ is being slowly re modelled.

As usual a very interesting and entertaining read Mr Hatter. I like these delay reports. We have all calmed down and can look at the game with fresh eyes and opinions.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WhiteJC

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 04, 2010, 10:31:58 AM
For once Demps stood up only to be knocked down and looked just like a forward playing for Fulham should. Rolling around on the floor clutching various injured parts of his anatomy.

:Sparkyticus:

jarv

Agree with most except to say I thought Etuhu was not just improved, he bossed the midfield, dominating over Parker.
Agree with rambling syd, west ham comitted an unusually high number of fouls. Stats show 24 to Fulham's 8. disappointing but they are in a relegation battle already. Doesn't make it right though. We cannot afford to lose another player to the treatment room.