watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (27/09/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 27, 2010, 07:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6402302,00.html?
Hughes impressed by Salcido
Fulham defender hails new team-mate

Aaron Hughes has paid tribute to Carlos Salcido for settling in quickly following his arrival at Fulham.

The Mexican left-back moved to Craven Cottage from PSV Eindhoven before the transfer deadline as Paul Konchesky prepared to join Liverpool.
He made an impressive debut against Blackburn last weekend, setting up Clint Dempsey's goal in the 1-1 draw with a fine cross.

Salcido again performed well on Saturday as Fulham played out a goalless draw with Everton and Hughes is happy with the newest member of the defensive unit.

Hughes has also praised fellow summer recruits Moussa Dembele and Rafik Halliche for integrating effectively.

He told the club's official website: "There are certain things in the team which have changed but it's more or less the same players. The guys that have come in have slotted in really well.

"Carlos is new to the side and has slotted in really well which shows the quality of the player.

"The games he's played in have been tough games. I felt this was another accomplished performance from him.

"He looks another really good buy for us as does Rafik, who played a few minutes on Tuesday night and looks really good in training.

"Obviously Moussa's injured at the moment but everyone's seen what he's produced over the last few weeks."

Pleasing point

The draw against Everton extended Fulham's unbeaten start to the Premier League campaign and Hughes was pleased to pick up a point even though the Toffees are currently languishing at the foot of the table.

"It was always going to be a close game because Everton are a very good side," he said.

"They're in a false position. They work hard and they've got some good players and no matter how well you play it's always going to be a tough game.

"We've come away with a clean sheet and a hard-earned point which is a positive for us.

"At half-time, when we went in, we were disappointed with the first half. In the second half we came out and had a real go at it and caused them a few more problems.

"When everything comes together, which it has done in a few of the games we've played this season, we do look a good side. It's still reasonably early days but at the same time we're not losing games and we remain unbeaten."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1315365/Fulham-stylish-Mark-Hughes-insists-Diomansy-Kamara.html?
Fulham are more stylish now under new boss Mark Hughes, insists striker Diomansy Kamara

Diomansy Kamara says Fulham's style of football and training methods were worse under Roy Hodgson than they are now.

Kamara praised new Fulham manager Mark Hughes, who replaced current Liverpool boss Hodgson in the summer, for his more attacking approach.

Fulham striker Kamara said: 'We play more attacking football now. So for me it is better. I enjoy the style of football here more now under Hughes.

'There is no fault with Roy Hodgson, he did really well here, but training with Hughes is better - you do more with the ball.

You do more running with the ball and you are trying to score.'

Kamara is relishing the chance to play for such a highly-regarded former striker, saying: 'Who does not know Mark Hughes? He had those years at Barcelona and Manchester United. He was a great player with a lot of charisma. When you are player like Hughes, a striker, you can learn more, because he was a great striker.'

Kamara was not in favour with Hodgson, having been sent out on loan to Celtic last season. But an injury crisis among Fulham strikers has meant that Kamara is back in the first team picture for Fulham, coming on as a substitute in Saturday's 0-0 home draw with Everton.

'I was injured for the past few months but I think i have more chance now to play,' he said.

'I was on loan at Celtic and it was a good experience but I was there with Tony Mowbray and ,when he was sacked, he told me it made no sense to stay at this club. It was a good experience for me and I learned a little bit about Scottish football.'

Speaking about his injury, he added: 'Someone kicked me on the foot in the summer - a sore foot, that is it. That has kept me out until now.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1315365/Fulham-stylish-Mark-Hughes-insists-Diomansy-Kamara.html?#ixzz10i2vcK1Q

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-want-schwarzer-extend-contract-1140851?
Fulham want Schwarzer to extend contract

Fulham boss Mark Hughes hopes Mark Schwarzer's future lies at the club.

The 37-year old Australian veteran asked to be transferred to Arsenal during the summer transfer window but a mooted shift never eventuated and he remained at Craven Cottage.

There have been murmurings ever since that Schwarzer was set to quit the club in the next transfer window in January but Cottagers manager Hughes is full of hope that the ex-Middlesbrough gloveman will commit himself to the Fulham cause.

"He's settled down and we're talking to him in terms of his future. He's got options. He's in the last year of his contract so we'd like to think his future lies here," Hughes said.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-boss-hughes-impressed-eddie-johnson-impact-1141611?
Fulham boss Hughes impressed by Eddie Johnson impact

Fulham boss Mark Hughes was happy with Eddie Johnson's impact in their 0-0 draw with Everton.

Johnson has been a peripheral figure at Craven Cottage since his arrival from Kansas City two years ago.

The second-half cameo from Diomansy Kamara was also pleasing with the Senegal striker making his first appearance for the club since January.

"We brought on Eddie Johnson and that made a difference in terms of asking more questions of the back four," said Hughes. "He lengthened the game and was a threat in behind which we didn't have before and as a consequence we were better in the second half.

"We missed the threat of Zamora and Dembele, but that's how it will be over the next few weeks.

"Guys have to come in and make an impact and Kamara will benefit from his run-out."

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-0-0-Everton-Daily-Mirror-match-report-Phil-Neville-insists-the-Toffees-are-not-in-relegation-danger-despite-being-rock-bottom-article588559.html
Fulham 0-0 Everton: Daily Mirror match report

Phil Neville claimed Everton are not in relegation danger despite sliding to the bottom of the table.

And the Goodison captain insisted the perennial "slow starters" will pull clear of the drop zone like in his first season at the club.

This London stalemate was better than the midweek capital punishment suffered at Brentford in the Carling Cup. And Fulham boss Mark Hughes insisted Everton were in a "false position."

But David Moyes's side have still to win in six league matches and face a testing trip to Birmingham and then the Merseyside derby in their next two matches.

It's Everton's worst start to the season since 1994-95 when Mike Walker was sacked by November. Still no victories after eight games and the Toffees will be in a really sticky situation.

Yet Neville, whose side held Manchester United a fortnight ago, stated: "We have too much quality to be in a relegation battle. I know that's not a guarantee but the players are really determined. We had a couple of meetings this week and the character is still in the dressing room and it's up to us to sort it out."

Everton have awakened from early-season stupor before. Last season they could blame a long injury list when they slipped to 19th after losing at Craven Cottage. But Neville also recalled his first season at Goodison in 2005-06 when they lost six straight games in the early part of the season.

Neville recalled: "I remember saying to Leon Osman 'do you think we'll go down?' He said 'No, don't worry. Everton are slow starters but the spirit will show through.'

"That comment has stayed with me ever since. The spirit now needs to shine through. He remembers it too. He had been at the club a long time and is blue through and through – that's why I asked him."

Everton had the better chances at the Cottage but Yakubu could not beat keeper Mark Schwarzer.

Neville continued: "On today's performance you wouldn't have thought we were bottom of the league.

"But if you don't win football matches it's where you deserve to be. We have to go to Birmingham next week and at the moment draws aren't good enough for us."

It was an uninspiring match between one side without a win and the other without any strikers.

Fulham hit-man Andy Johnson returns to training today but Moussa Dembele is now out along with Bobby Zamora.

And Mark Hughes challenged subs Eddie Johnson and Diomansy Kamara to step in and add pace and power to his forward line.

"It's an opportunity for them," he said. "Eddie needs a bit more self-confidence at times but he made an impact today so that will help him.

"These guys have got to step up to the plate and give us options. We've lost key personnel and these guys are going to have to get the job done."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-0-0-Everton-Daily-Mirror-match-report-Phil-Neville-insists-the-Toffees-are-not-in-relegation-danger-despite-being-rock-bottom-article588559.html#ixzz10i4GMq3T

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-want-Mark-Schwarzer-to-extend-his-current-contract-to-fend-off-interest-from-Arsenal-article588667.html
Arsenal target Schwarzer set to extend Fulham deal

Mark Schwarzer is in talks to extend his contract at Fulham.

The Australia goalkeeper submitted a transfer request last month following a bid from Arsenal. But after refusing to sell, the Whites want the 37-year-old to finish his career at Craven Cottage.

Manager Mark Hughes said: "He's settled down and we're talking to him in terms of his future. He's got options. He's in the last year of his contract so we'd like to think his future lies here."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-want-Mark-Schwarzer-to-extend-his-current-contract-to-fend-off-interest-from-Arsenal-article588667.html#ixzz10i4kA01z

WhiteJC

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Fulham-boss-Hughes-hopeful-of-keeping-Arsenal-target-Mark-Schwarzer/10897/?
Fulham boss Hughes hopeful of keeping Arsenal target Mark Schwarzer

Mark Hughes is hopeful that goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer will sign a contract extension at Fulham, despite intense interest from Arsenal.

Schwarzer handed in a transfer request at Craven Cottage over the summer following what was thought to be a £4-million offer from Arsenal for the 37-year-old.  Schwarzer was thought to have agreed personal terms with the Gunners, but Fulham failed to land an adequate replacement for the Australian.

However, Fulham boss Hughes believes that the speculation over a move to Arsenal has now passed and Schwarzer is poised to commit his future to the Cottagers.

Hughes is quoted in the Daily Mirror saying, "He's settled down and we're talking to him in terms of his future. He's got options. He's in the last year of his contract so we'd like to think his future lies here."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6403565,00.html?
Kamara sees brighter future
Senegalese forward welcomes Hughes appointment

Diomansy Kamara feels he is in a position to reignite his Fulham career under the guidance of Mark Hughes.

The Senegalese forward found himself frozen out towards the end of Roy Hodgson's reign, severely limiting his first-team opportunities.

A lack of activity eventually led him to being sent out on loan, and he ended the 2009/10 with SPL giants Celtic.
It was expected that the 29-year-old would be moved on over the summer, with it difficult to see a future for him at Craven Cottage.

However, Hughes' appointment saw the slate wiped clean and he has subsequently been handed a second chance with the Cottagers.

Style

Kamara is determined to make the most of that opportunity, especially as Fulham are currently short on strikers, and he is confident that his game is suited to the footballing philosophies favoured by Hughes.
"I enjoy the style of football here more now under Hughes," he said.

"There is no fault with Roy Hodgson, he did really well here.

"But training with Hughes is better as you do more with the ball. We are more attacking as a team.

"Right now some of our strikers are injured and I have more chance to play. I'm ready to play in attack for Fulham."

WhiteJC

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Stoke-City-Wilko-treads-carefully-controversial-Fulham-tackle/article-2688782-detail/article.html?
Stoke City: Wilko treads carefully after controversial Fulham tackle

ANDY Wilkinson insists he trod far more carefully yesterday following that controversial foul in the dying stages of last week's Carling Cup victory over Fulham, writes Martin Spinks.

But you would never have known it after a typically whole-hearted offering following his surprise selection for yesterday's win at Newcastle.

Wilkinson, pictured right, was widely castigated after fouling Fulham's Mousa Dembele to leave him with damaged ankle ligaments.

That didn't prevent City boss Tony Pulis recalling the youngster to his Premier League line-up at St James' Park. "It was a bit disappointing, that tackle," Wilkinson acknowledged, "because it took away from our play on Tuesday.

"The gaffer gave me the nod for Newcastle and said 'don't change', but I was a bit more tentative."

He added: "The tackle was blown out of proportion. There's a million worse tackles than that, but it all goes over my head.

"I love playing for this club and when I do play, you know what I'm going to give.

"I just hope I can keep playing and we can keep getting results."

Pulis, meanwhile, accused an unnamed Newcastle player of feigning injury to get one of his team unfairly punished.

He refused to identify the Magpies player, but called on the Professional Footballers' Association to demand higher standards of behaviour from their members.

He said: "With the bad publicity we've had this week with the challenge from Andy Wilkinson, I was really disappointed when one of the Newcastle players went down and simulated an injury from a challenge.

"Three passes later, he jumped up and was running around as if nothing had happened.

"The PFA have a responsibility as an organisation to make sure their players don't do things like that because you put referees and officials under enormous pressure. We have been highlighted with one or two other clubs for supposedly being over-physical, so this is an issue that needs to be addressed."

Asked to name the player, Pulis replied: "You'll have to look at the tape yourself."

However, his Newcastle counterpart, Chris Hughton, refuted the claim.

He said: "We were up against a hard-running, physical side in Stoke who put themselves about, but I certainly didn't see any play-acting from any of our players."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/LuckyProgrammeNumber.aspx
Lucky Programme Number

The lucky programme number drawn at Saturday's match againt Everton was 06854.  If the number in the back of your programme corresponds then you have won yourself the brand new Fulham away shirt!

If you are the lucky winner, simply email a scan or photograph of your winning number to [email protected] to arrange to collect your prize.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/LuckyProgrammeNumber.aspx#ixzz10jTnVDit

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/KamaraReturn.aspx
Dio's Back

After spending the second half of last season on loan to Celtic, Diomansy Kamara returned to First Team duty for Fulham on Saturday.

The Senegalese international's second half appearance against Everton was a timely boost for Fulham following recent injuries to Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele.

Kamara is certainly enjoying a new lease of life at Fulham and is clearly enjoying working under Mark Hughes this season.

"Mark Hughes was a great player who had some great years at Manchester United," Kamara told fulhamfc.com. "He's a very good person with a lot of charisma and I like that.

"When you have a Manager like Mark Hughes – you listen. He was a great striker and when he tells you something, he knows what he's talking about.

"We're playing more attacking football this season and I think it's great for Fulham. The training is different because we work more with the ball and he [Hughes] tells us to run with the ball and score as many goals as we can."

Kamara spent two months on the sidelines after picking up an injury during the summer and the striker is now desperate to prove his worth to Hughes.

"Someone kicked me on my foot during the summer," Kamara explained. "No operation was needed but it's kept me out. It's definitely a chance for me at the moment because of the strikers we have injured. I was also injured for the last two months but now I have the opportunity to show the Manager I can do well in attack for Fulham.

"I thought we did well against Everton last weekend – they are a strong team. They've [Everton] started badly but every year they seem to finish in the top ten. I think we've done really well to maintain our unbeaten record."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/KamaraReturn.aspx#ixzz10jU9jGNb

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/the-mysterious-case-of-danny-murphys-missing-legs/?
The mysterious case of Danny Murphy's missing legs
Filed under: General — weltmeisterclaude
There are growing rumblings about our captain's ability to last for 90 minutes 'week in, week out'.   I haven't seen this myself but then I do tend to sit in happy stupors at games and miss all sorts of things as a result.   So perhaps this is a case for the scientific method.

If Danny Murphy was struggling to last for 90 minutes we might reasonably expect to see a difference between second half and first half performances, right?   If he can't keep up he'll get the ball less, give it away more, etc. 

Here's the Everton game on chalkboard:

Can't see anything there that might give us cause to worry.   How has he done in other games?

Yikes.   Why did we struggle at Blackpool?   Murphy hardly saw the ball.   Aside from a very conspicuous drop off against Man Utd (what can have happened there?   They had all the ball?  Someone stationed on Murph to stop him getting it?) it's even steven, especially allowing for reduced time on the pitch (which also, of course, supports the 'legs gone' argument).

So that's passing.  What about other things?  Defensive things in particular.  If he's tired he might not get to as many challenges, right?

Aha.  Maybe it's nothing, but this season Murphy's attempted 17 tackles in the first half and 9 in the second, and of those 9, six came at Bolton.     Put another way, since the first game of the season, Murphy's tackles break down as 15 first half, three second (25 defensive 'acts' to 9, too).    Hmmm.

I'm not going to draw conclusions either way here, but if we were looking for some evidence of tiredness here we may have found it.  Of course, this may be very normal for a footballer, but I haven't looked at this yet so for now we'll just have to wonder.

For whatever it's worth, I still think he's one of our most important players.   With the entire midfield out of form  (and a bit shapeless now Roy's patterns have worn off), with nobody to find up front, and without the same kind of full-back runs, it would be a bit surprising if Murphy wasn't struggling a little.   That said, I haven't really seen it, and remain partly convinced that people are latching onto 'groan' moments where he gives the ball away needlessly (and that's happened 2-3 times this season) as evidence for his decline (apologies if that sounds patronising).

The counter argument may be that we seemed to do quite well without him last season.   So time will tell.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1315558/Mark-Hughes-hopeful-Fulham-keeper-Mark-Schwarzer-sign-new-deal.html?
Mark Hughes hopeful Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer will sign new deal despite Arsenal interest

Mark Hughes is confident that Mark Schwarzer will snub Arsenal and sign a new contract at Fulham.

The 37-year-old goalkeeper almost joined the Gunners during the summer but the deal fell through as the Cottagers failed to bring in a replacement.

Australian Schwarzer has been widely tipped to make the move to north London but Hughes said: 'He's settled down and we're talking to him in terms of his future. He's got options. 

'He's in the last year of his contract so we'd like to think his future lies here.' Schwarzer signed for Fulham in 2008 after 11 years with Middlesbrough.

Arsene Wenger has been tracking Schwarzer as the Arsenal boss remains unconvinced by Manuel Almunia and Lukasz Fabianski.

Almunia has been dropped for this week's Champions League clash with Partizan Belgrade but Wenger insists this is due to an elbow injury and not as a result of his shocking display in the defeat against West Brom. Fabianski will take his place.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1315558/Mark-Hughes-hopeful-Fulham-keeper-Mark-Schwarzer-sign-new-deal.html?#ixzz10jV8NbSw

WhiteJC

http://sport.virginmedia.com/football/article/2010/09/27/hughes_faith_in_newcomers?
Hughes' faith in newcomers
Fulham defender Aaron Hughes believes their summer signings can propel the club to new heights.

The Cottagers are still unbeaten in the Barclays Premier League this season, with one victory and five draws putting Mark Hughes' men in seventh place in the fledgling table.

Mexico full-back Carlos Salcido impressed on his home debut in the goalless draw against Everton on Saturday, while Hughes also singled out striker Moussa Dembele and defender Rafik Halliche as players who can make a big impact.

"Carlos is new to the side and has slotted in really well, which shows the quality of the player," he told the club's official website. "The games he's played in have been tough games - Blackburn away and Stoke away.

"He looks another really good buy for us, as does Rafik, who played a few minutes (in the Carling Cup) on Tuesday night and looks really good in training. Obviously Moussa's injured at the moment but everyone's seen what he's produced over the last few weeks."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/TrottasFirstTeamAmbition.aspx?
Hot to Trott

Since his arrival at Fulham some 18 months ago promising striker Marcello Trotta has generated a lot of interest. It seems nothing excites quite like a talented young goal scoring prospect.

The Italian youngster has taken the considerable hype in his stride and is clearly a dedicated and determined young man.

At 17, Trotta has a bright footballing future ahead of him, but he is the first to admit that in this game application and commitment count for just as much as natural talent.

"I have seen a lot of very good young players fall short," reflects Marcello. "A player can have all the skill and ability in the world, but if they are not prepared to put in the work then history has proven that they will not make the grade.

"That's certainly something that this Club instils in its young players and something I understand. I might have scored a lot of goals for the U18s last season, but it is important that I built on that.

"I know that people expect a lot of me, and I want to prove that I am a good player and one that is capable of stepping up and making a difference for the First Team."

Such is his promise, the Club recently offered him an extension to the initial professional deal he signed last October, with Trotta committing himself to Fulham until June 2013.

Having previously spent time at hometown club Napoli and Manchester City, Marcello has made significant progress at Fulham, scoring 30 times for the U18s last term; goals which did much to help the team reach the Quarter-Final of the FA Youth Cup. His form has also been rewarded with Italy U19 recognition.

"I think I have definitely improved during my time at Fulham," he says. "Last season was very pleasing for me, and I am really happy with the progress that I have made. The decision to leave Italy was a difficult one – but now I am seeing the benefits.

"English football has toughened me up - it has taught me things I would never have learned back in Italy. Don't get me wrong, I learned so much at Napoli, a club with a brilliant reputation for youth football, I just feel that I have more to offer now.

"I believe that I am more of a complete player. I say that I got my technique from Italy and my speed and power from my time in England. I would always encourage players to sample different cultures and environments. It would be easy to stay in the comfort of familiar surroundings, but there is so much to learn out in the world."

Trotta's time in England has certainly rounded his football education, and having overcome the language and cultural differences relatively easily, the youngster has become a popular figure at the Club's Motspur Park Training Ground.

"I just feel very happy here," explains Marcello. "My dream was to play football in England and the Club has given me that opportunity. For a young player, moving to a new country is a gamble, and many have failed to adapt.

"Of course, there was no guarantee that things would go well for me here, but it was a risk that I was prepared to take. In football you have to make bold decisions and that was my one.

"There are quite a few young Italians that play for Premier League clubs, and hopefully we will see more of us progress, like Federico Macheda has done at Manchester United.

"Over the years a lot of Italian players have made an impression in England. We look up to the likes of Gianfranco Zola, Gianluca Vialli and Paolo Di Canio, and it's up to us younger players to follow their example."

Trotta has certainly been turning heads domestically, both for Gary Brazil's U18s and more recently Billy McKinlay's Development Squad, but he has been in impressive form for his country too, as a regular for Italy's U19s as his country revolutionises its footballing objectives in the wake of a disappointing showing at this summer's World Cup finals. Former international favourite Roberto Baggio has come in to head up the technical sector while legendary coach Arrigo Sacchi has been named as the overall supervisor of all of Italy's youth teams from U21 down to U16.

"A new direction has been taken and hopefully I can be part of that," he reveals. "From the top down there have been a lot of changes, and I think there will now be more of an emphasis on younger players coming through.

"To work with legends like Baggio and Sacchi is an honour because they have achieved so much in the game. Baggio was one of the best players we have ever had, he was magnificent, while Sacchi has achieved so much as a coach.

"I'm very much looking forward to working with them, and again, that kind of experience can only make me a better player. I take great pride in representing my country and hopefully I will be wearing the blue of the Azzurri for many years."

Anyone that has watched Trotta in action will no doubt testify to the promise he has shown; he's physically imposing, positive in possession and ruthless in front of goal. Words of commendation have littered the message boards.

Some inside the Club feel that he is not too far from the First Team, and with Trotta stepping up into McKinlay's squad on a more permanent basis, the youngster has entered a crucial stage of his development.

"I know that this is an important season for me," details Marcello. "I have just signed a new contract and I have to show that I am worthy of that. I'm enjoying working with Billy McKinlay and, of course, more game time for the reserves is the target.

"I'm working hard at improving my game further, particularly in terms of shooting with my weaker right foot and scoring with my head. I know that Billy likes his forwards to track back and defend from the front, so that is also something I am trying to improve.

"As a striker, I love scoring goals, and the ultimate ambition is to do that for the First Team – that would be unbelievable. I want to establish myself here and become a top striker, who Fulham can rely on for goals.

"There is plenty for me to do, but I'll work hard to try and make that happen."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/TrottasFirstTeamAmbition.aspx?#ixzz10jzBsH00

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/EtuhuForwardThinking.aspx?
Forward Thinking

With a new manager comes change. It is an inevitable part of the game, and how those changes impact a team is largely down to its players.

And there is one man in particular who seems to be flourishing after the appointment of Mark Hughes as Fulham Manager – Dickson Etuhu, who has started the season positive and bright.

Having taken over from the perceived-to-be-irreplaceable Jimmy Bullard with limited fuss, Etuhu has become an important player for Fulham, a key component of the Club's recent success.

Over the previous two seasons, the 28-year-old has done an admirable, yet often selfless job in the heart of the Whites midfield. Protecting the back four, he has been disciplined and ordered, following instructions to the letter.

But while he impressed greatly as our resident midfield 'enforcer', there was a nagging sense that he had more to offer. A player once dubbed 'the new Patrick Vieira' must possess other facets to his game than winning tackles and breaking up opposition attacks, regardless of how effective he may be at those tasks. At times, one could almost feel his desire to break free from those defensive shackles.

"I used to be more of a box-to-box player before I came to Fulham," reveals Dickson. "But for the last two seasons my job was to sit in front of the defence. This season I'm being encouraged to drive forward a bit more and it's working really well.

"It's a part of the game that I enjoy and like to think I can bring something extra to other parts of the pitch. Of course, first and foremost as a midfielder you have to offer protection to those behind you, but you can also offer support to those in front."

Change is perhaps the wrong word when describing Hughes' philosophy since his arrival – adjustment is probably the word of suit. The Manager has recognised the foundations that already exist, and with an element of tweaking, appears to have transformed the Whites into a more complete unit.

"Mark Hughes is more dynamic and explosive," he explains. "He wants pace and power, he wants us to take the game to our opponents. We have been driving at teams and that's something we haven't really done before.

"As a result, we know that we are going to get more goals this year - I think you will see a more unpredictable Fulham. That's not to say we will lose any of the control and organisation that we have had in the past, there's just a bit more freedom now."

Etuhu is clearly enjoying his football. For some, a shift in management could represent a potentially testing period, yet the midfielder appears to have relished the challenge.

"My brother Kelvin played under Mark at Manchester City," says Dickson. "Before the Manager arrived he told me a lot of good things about him and that he thought my style of play would suit the way Mark likes his teams to play.

"That said, I was still quite surprised to find out what a great manager he actually is, the football he believes in and the way that he carries and presents himself. I'm really enjoying working with him; I think we can learn a lot from him.

"He has got us all wearing suits instead of Club tracksuits to games now, home and away. That might not seem like a big deal to those on the outside, but it goes a long way in our mental preparation."

Back on the field, Etuhu will be hoping his good form continues. Particularly impressive against Manchester United last month, his use of the ball has been more positive and his selection of pass more ambitious.

Dickson is the epitome of the modern day player, an athlete as well as a footballer. With an ability to break at ease, this season he has also emerged as a genuine goal threat, his lung-busting run and confident finish against Blackpool illustrating that ability.

"That's something the Manager believes I can give the team," he explains. "I've been told to get into the box as much as possible and hopefully I can score a few goals this year. The goal at Blackpool came at a good time for us, and as a result we came away with a valuable point.

"It was nice to be able to contribute in that way and I believe that I can do more of that. It's quite possible that I will find myself in more goal scoring situations over the course of the season so we'll see if that can be the case. I'll have to get out on the training pitch with the strikers and see what I can pick up."

Talking of strikers, Etuhu was devastated by the sight of close friend and team-mate Bobby Zamora being stretchered off against Wolves.

"I think it's fair to say that everyone at the Club was shattered by what happened to Bobby," he admits. "He is more than just a good player and our top goal scorer – he is also one of the biggest personalities in the dressing room. He will be missed.

"You could tell by the pain he was in on the pitch that it was serious, we just did not want to look. I went to see him after the game and understandably he was very low. But Bobby will be back, there is no doubt in my mind about that.

"This can be a very cruel game," he considers. "One minute a player can feel like he is on top of the world, and the next he's facing four to five months on the sidelines. I know just how harsh it can be - I've been there myself.

"It's strange because before we signed the new deals we were both joking that we would have to be careful walking down stairs and things, just in case either of us got injured. Bobby even suggested that we slept at Motspur Park just to make sure nothing happened.

"It's a sobering thought because that could easily have happened to any one of us, including myself."

The hugely impressive Mousa Dembélé has also since joined Zamora on the sidelines, although the Belgian flyer's absence will thankfully be much shorter. Yet despite missing two of our most influential players, Etuhu believes Fulham still have the firepower to worry their opponents.

"I know some will look at the fact that we have Bobby and Mousa missing, and think that we'll perhaps struggle in the final third. Don't get me wrong, that's a blow, but I believe we can adapt.

"Clint Dempsey and Zoltan Gera can play in that advanced position and both have goals in them. Then we have Eddie Johnson and Diomansy Kamara who will be hungry to show what they can do.

"In midfield we have goals too, with Simon Davies and Damien Duff more than capable of making a difference. And let's not forget that Danny Murphy has a decent goal scoring record too. It will be tough, but this team has a lot of character – we'll manage."

Etuhu has now entered his third season at Craven Cottage, a period of his career he not only looks upon as his most successful, but a phase in which he has developed considerably as a player.

"I love wearing the Fulham shirt, and I'm very happy at this club," he levels. "I feel very settled on and off the pitch. My time here has been exciting and certainly the past 12 months have been the best of my career.

"I think I have improved as a player and I have a lot to thank the previous manager, Roy Hodgson, for. He kind of coached me from the beginning again and I understand the game better because of him.

"This is an equally exciting chapter for me, and I feel I can improve even more. This is a special Club and who knows what we can achieve here?"

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/EtuhuForwardThinking.aspx?#ixzz10jzi9Uxo

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214840
Fulham - Schwarzer Contract Extension?
After not getting the move he`d angled for, to Arsenal, there have been several rumours circulating about the future of our Australian keeper, Mark Schwarzer.

One rumour suggested that he`d be prepared to see out his current contract at Craven Cottage before moving to pastures new, whilst another inferred that Mark hoped for a resurrection of the move to Arsenal come January.

Following on from his fine performance on Saturday, against Everton, Mark Hughes is under no illusions as to where he believes Schwarzer`s future lies, commenting to the tabloid press after the game,

"He`s settled down and we`re talking to him in terms of his future. He`s got options. He`s in the last year of his contract so we`d like to think his future lies here."

Some turnaround that`ll be!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214840#ixzz10kLIpOqt

WhiteJC

http://www.westham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214844
West Ham - Dempsey Returns Next Week!
Robert Green may have produced a man-of-the-match performance, against Tottenham on Saturday, but it promises to be the mother-of-all days next weekend.

Fulham arrive at Upton Park and a certain Clint Dempsey will be in the opposition.

Hopefully, lightning won`t strike twice will it?

Read more: http://www.westham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214844#ixzz10kLbQHCT

White Noise

Good piece from Timmy on 'The Offside' about all this -

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/duffs-decline.html

Duff's Decline

By: timmyg | September 27th, 2010

For all the talk about Danny Murphy "losing his legs" at the end of matches, I think our eyes should be focused away from our talismanic baldy toward our (okay, my) erstwhile MVP, Damien Duff.

Last season I awarded Damien Duff the Most Valuable Player for his amazing goal-scoring record at the end of games. Unfortunately, based upon current results, that award is being dated rather quickly.

Look at the following charts that show Damien's passes in the last 25 minutes of a game. Why did I choose 25 minutes? Because that is really when MVP-caliber players show themselves, and last year Duff scored 3 goals in the last 25 minutes.

Yikes.

On Saturday against Everton Duff attempted just 5 passes, two of which were corners. Last weekend at Blackburn he attempted the same amount, three were sideways. Can we even make anything out the Blackpool graph?? (Although it is worth noting that Duff was subbed out at the 85th minute at Blackpool.) Only against United did he manage more than just 5 passes over the final twenty-five minutes (and contributed to the equalizing goal off by taking the corner), but look where a bulk of the passes are headed: backwards.

One aspect shielding our focus about Duff's decline is that he has not been subbed out late in matches like Murphy has. When evaluating older players, an message that gets sent by the manager (be it correct or incorrect) is how often they are subbed out late in matches. There is a subconscious and direct correlation between the two dynamics.

Well, Duff has been subbed out just once, in the 85th minute at Blackpool for Jonathan Greening. Compare that to Murphy being subbed out 3 times and Davies subbed out just twice. Duff was not fit for the Wolves match, so we cannot get a full comparison between him and the others. But when using percentages we find that Duff stays on the field more than Davies or Murphy: Duff is subbed out 20% of the time, Davies 33%, and Murphy 50%. (N.B. Etuhu has never been subbed out, and Dempsey and Gera have been playing out of position recently, so it wouldn't be accurate to include them.)

But then compare that nugget to Simon Davies' production in the last 25 minutes. I elected a smaller sample size and matches where Davies was kept on the field not because of surreptitiousness, but just to quickly show what the other side of midfield is up to:

We see Davies not just more involved, but also more threatening.

Now, Davies' production could be tactical in that Mark Hughes wants the offense to flow through his fellow Welshman. So why then keep Duff on the field? Sorry for using hindsight, but surely Bjorn Helge Riise could offer a little bit more.

I wonder then if all the injuries are forcing Hughes' hand. Surely if Zamora and Dembele were fit, that would free up Dempsey and Gera to replace Duff as his current production would not cut it for even a starter. But then injuries at the back, such as Stephen Kelly's early knock on Saturday forced Hughes to eat a substitution.

But there have been other matches, like last week at Blackburn, where Duff's non-involvement and Hughes not having to make forced substitutions could have meant inclusion for Riise.

I'm interested to see what happens to Duff this coming Saturday at West Ham. I can see Hughes starting him because of all our injuries, but I really hope he doesn't play the full 90. If there was ever a time for Riise, it would be now.