News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We need a sports psychologist and quick !

Started by Riversider, May 06, 2018, 04:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Over the next 5 days there is nothing we can do physically on the training fields at Motspur Park to improve our chances against Derby, the players are as physically fit as they can be , the next 5 days I'm sure will be about rest and relaxation,
But what is absolutely imperative now is that we get the best sports psychologist in England down to the training ground to try and get inside their heads and get them to believe again that they are the best,
When we lost to Reading in the play offs last season it took us almost half a season to recover from the heart break and disappointment,  this time we've got just 5 days !
Sports psychologist's play a major role in Tennis and athletics and psychology is the reason why Cardiff are celebrating today and not us, man for man Cardiff are not a better side than either Fulham or Aston Villa but importantly they are stronger mentally than the pair of us, April presented them with Norwich away and Hull away and we all thought they would drop points but they didn't whilst we had winnable games at home to QPR and Brentford and yet we dropped a vital 4 points,
We've got to pick ourselves up off the floor now and rediscover the form we were showing two months ago, if not we're in for even more play off pain.

On a side note I don't want to see Piazon in the starting line up again this season.

JoelH5

Quote from: Riversider on May 06, 2018, 04:41:14 PM
Over the next 5 days there is nothing we can do physically on the training fields at Motspur Park to improve our chances against Derby, the players are as physically fit as they can be , the next 5 days I'm sure will be about rest and relaxation,
But what is absolutely imperative now is that we get the best sports psychologist in England down to the training ground to try and get inside their heads and get them to believe again that they are the best,
When we lost to Reading in the play offs last season it took us almost half a season to recover from the heart break and disappointment,  this time we've got just 5 days !
Sports psychologist's play a major role in Tennis and athletics and psychology is the reason why Cardiff are celebrating today and not us, man for man Cardiff are not a better side than either Fulham or Aston Villa but importantly they are stronger mentally than the pair of us, April presented them with Norwich away and Hull away and we all thought they would drop points but they didn't whilst we had winnable games at home to QPR and Brentford and yet we dropped a vital 4 points,
We've got to pick ourselves up off the floor now and rediscover the form we were showing two months ago, if not we're in for even more play off pain.

On a side note I don't want to see Piazon in the starting line up again this season.

Completely agree. I think that Slav's English skills may have a part in this. He has to have one shortcoming I guess!!

Rest today and all back in tomorrow to start building morale and the belief. We are the best team in the playoffs. We need to believe and give it our all.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

HV71

Pretty good shout - and certainly has to be worth a try

Milo

You can't build trust and a relationship with a patient in 5 days! It'd probably get worse before it got better.

Fulham 442

Slav's English skills haven't been an issue since last December have they?!

MJG

Let's change lots of things over losing one game for the first time in half a season.
Just the views of a long term fan

HV71

Quote from: MJG on May 06, 2018, 05:21:40 PM
Let's change lots of things over losing one game for the first time in half a season.

I totally agree MJG -  - I don't want to change things but I can't see how it would hurt to have someone ( particularly from outside of football ) to help the players to mentally prepare for the next challenge . They have given everything and it must be so hard to pick yourself up given how well they have done.

Peabody

Can't believe some of the stuff I am reading on this board, not just on this thread but we have gone from heroes to zeros, after one loss. Not only are we now bottles but also nut cases who needs a shrink. The only ones who needs a psychologist are some of you lot.

MJG

Quote from: HV71 on May 06, 2018, 05:28:12 PM

I totally agree MJG -  - I don't want to change things but I can't see how it would hurt to have someone ( particularly from outside of football ) to help the players to mentally prepare for the next challenge . They have given everything and it must be so hard to pick yourself up given how well they have done.
could work other way. "Why's the gaffer brought this guy in five days before next game after losing one game. Does he not trust us? What have  we done wrong?"

HV71

Fair point - and only Joka can gauge the mood in the dressing room as to which way that would play....and of course

in Joka  I trust !

Riversider

Quote from: MJG on May 06, 2018, 05:33:59 PM

could work other way. "Why's the gaffer brought this guy in five days before next game after losing one game. Does he not trust us? What have  we done wrong?"

I will be amazed if the club don't use a sports psychologist,  it's got nothing to do with getting players to do things differently, it's all about getting the players to do what they currently do in a more confident and efficient manner,
The top golfers and all the best tennis players use them, Neil Warnock might be a lot of things but we have to give him credit for being one of the best sports psychologist's in the country, Cardiff have been far tougher mentally than us over April and May when it matters most.

MJG

Quote from: Riversider on May 06, 2018, 05:44:19 PM
Quote from: MJG on May 06, 2018, 05:33:59 PM

I will be amazed if the club don't use a sports psychologist,  it's got nothing to do with getting players to do things differently, it's all about getting the players to do what they currently do in a more confident and efficient manner,
The top golfers and all the best tennis players use them, Neil Warnock might be a lot of things but we have to give him credit for being one of the best sports psychologist's in the country, Cardiff have been far tougher mentally than us over April and May when it matters most.
don't get me wrong I think we should use one. But if we don't, then I think at this late stage it's the wrong thing to do.

win-dup

Don't think even Freud could help us. Seven decades of watching Fulham choke at the vital moment has convinced me that there is something wrong with the basic DNA (so to speak) of Fulham Football Club. We have always lacked that extra something to take us over the line. Many years ago a very distinguished football journalist suggested our  location on the Thames gave a rather dreamy atmosphere to the club unlike the intense atmosphere of say West Ham (when they were playing at the Boleyn). Sad really because we are such a wonderful club. Hold absolutely no hopes for the play offs as expect us to be beaten at Derby, followed by an inept display at home. Still, I'll be there. And next season, whichever league we are in.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: win-dup on May 06, 2018, 06:54:48 PM
Don't think even Freud could help us. Seven decades of watching Fulham choke at the vital moment has convinced me that there is something wrong with the basic DNA (so to speak) of Fulham Football Club. We have always lacked that extra something to take us over the line. Many years ago a very distinguished football journalist suggested our  location on the Thames gave a rather dreamy atmosphere to the club unlike the intense atmosphere of say West Ham (when they were playing at the Boleyn). Sad really because we are such a wonderful club. Hold absolutely no hopes for the play offs as expect us to be beaten at Derby, followed by an inept display at home. Still, I'll be there. And next season, whichever league we are in.
well that's cheered me up no end! I am going to support and cheer on my team.   049:gif 049:gif 049:gif
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

filham

Quote from: Peabody on May 06, 2018, 05:33:16 PM
Can't believe some of the stuff I am reading on this board, not just on this thread but we have gone from heroes to zeros, after one loss. Not only are we now bottles but also nut cases who needs a shrink. The only ones who needs a psychologist are some of you lot.
Fully agree. Targett wasn't taken off because his mind was going round the wrong way, Jocanovic had risked a player who wasn't fully fit and we had paid a price for it.

Sure we need to restore confidence back to what it was a couple of weeks ago but this should be within the capability of a good coach. You will have the likes of Brian Clough turning in their graves at the suggestion.

Luka

I'm only going to highlight your point ref Piazon.
I just don't see what he gave us..... no strength, no speed or determination on show today.
If anything he is a liability that slows us down to a pace that suits the competition.

filham

Quote from: win-dup on May 06, 2018, 06:54:48 PM
We comfort ourselves by calling it Fulhamish. Someone on this board recently dared to suggest Fulhamish was dead, well it is back, alive and kicking.

Woolly Mammoth

Sports Psychology is important.
But If a player needs a sports psychiatrist at this stage of the season, because he cannot motivate himself or win his own battles or hasn't the mental strength,  I would not want him in the team in the first place.   
Warnock I would imagine didn't need a S S. He has the ability to get players to respond and die for him. Because in the first place, he recognises a fighter when he sees one, because he knows how to get teams promoted with that kind of mentality, that's something he is good at, and these are the players he targets, he knows the English League inside out, and he certainly does his homework, all this at the expense of making himself unpopular elsewhere.
He won't be crying in his beer tonight. He will be thinking of all those millions.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.