watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hard pitches

Started by fulhampete, May 08, 2018, 09:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhampete

I find it significant that we are at our worst at the very start and very end of the last two seasons. One reason I suspect for this is the state of the pitches. We play fast balls on the ground and this is especially productive on softer, even wet pitches. Where this does not work so well is in dry, hard grounds where the ball bounces and bobbles about. Having played football for many years I appreciate the difference these changing conditions can make. Instead of zipping around in a predictable manner a hard ground can produce unexpected outcomes. To overcome this we need to change our style accordingly (not an easy thing to do) and adapt our tactics. Pace is no longer such an asset, rather better, even instant control of the ball. A very late stage to make such adjustments but crucial to getting the results we need. Perhaps the likes of Fonte can play a large part.

Robbie

Surely we can't be so fragile!  We should be able to play on any reasonable surface.

Milo

Well up to a point Lord Copper...

But we have full control over our home pitch and how it's watered for the Derby game.

SP

Welcome Fulham Pete from another Fulham Pete.  Like you, I've been searching for factors that confirm the odd, seemingly unexplained poor result we've suffered.  No idea if your suggestion has legs?  You are certainly a brave man for posting something positive about Rui Fonte on here, keep up the good work!

love4ffc

Quote from: fulhampete on May 08, 2018, 09:24:28 PM
I find it significant that we are at our worst at the very start and very end of the last two seasons. One reason I suspect for this is the state of the pitches. We play fast balls on the ground and this is especially productive on softer, even wet pitches. Where this does not work so well is in dry, hard grounds where the ball bounces and bobbles about. Having played football for many years I appreciate the difference these changing conditions can make. Instead of zipping around in a predictable manner a hard ground can produce unexpected outcomes. To overcome this we need to change our style accordingly (not an easy thing to do) and adapt our tactics. Pace is no longer such an asset, rather better, even instant control of the ball. A very late stage to make such adjustments but crucial to getting the results we need. Perhaps the likes of Fonte can play a large part.

Very good point for your first post.  Yes Fulham play better on a wet pitch allowing the ball to zip around.  That is evident with the sprinklers being on before every match and at half time.  I think wetting the pitch down has actually bit us in the arse a few times as the pitch became way to slick sending some of our players sliding and slipping. 

Bottom line, these players are highly paid professionals that should be able to handle and control the ball in almost all conditions.  Hopefully the pitch works in our favor for Friday.  If not then hopefully the players can adjust and still make it work for a positive result. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

JoelH5

Seeing as Derby have a old-ish team and they know how we like to play, we need to prepare for the pitch being like a desert!
I was there, standing in the Putney end

filham

These days the pitch looks a perfect lush green all through the season and with the gallons of water added through sprinklers just before the start I really don't see that there can be a significant difference throughout the season.

Johnny Haynes must be turning in his grave at these remarks, he always put in a perfect performance through  the early season green pitches onto the winter mudbaths finishing with the end of season hard bald surfaces.

bill taylors apprentice

It'll be the wrong kind of grass next!

Maldon white

Fulham test the pitches at motspur park and the cottage extensively using a Clegg hammer to ensure the surface is at the correct " hardness" whilst they cant account for away fixtures the home matches will be very close.
The sand basef construction of modern pitches means all pitches are very hard, they are then watered before and at half time to create the slick surfac
e.

love4ffc

Quote from: Maldon white on May 09, 2018, 12:56:20 PM
Fulham test the pitches at motspur park and the cottage extensively using a Clegg hammer to ensure the surface is at the correct " hardness" whilst they cant account for away fixtures the home matches will be very close.
The sand basef construction of modern pitches means all pitches are very hard, they are then watered before and at half time to create the slick surfac
e.

I had never heard of the clegg hammer.  Just looked it up and it's a pretty cool thing. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Stoneleigh Loyalist

As I previously posted on another thread, Millwall deliberately watered their pitch less than they normally do knowing that Fulham preferred a slicker surface for their passing game.

As for the suggestion that professionals should be able to play on any surface one has only got to look at the Cup matches over the years where the small boys have used their poorer surfaces as a great leveller.

Not that I am suggesting that Derby are a small team