more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (11/05/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 11, 2018, 07:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Luca Into Quarter-Finals

Luca Ashby-Hammond and England Under-17s have qualified for the quarter-finals of the European Championships, despite a 1-0 defeat to Switzerland on Thursday evening in Rotherham.

The Young Lions won their opening two fixtures against Israel and Italy, which was enough to put them through to the quarter-final in second place to Italians only on goal difference.

All three of England, Italy and Switzerland finished on six points, and last nights' winners just miss out. The Azzurri face Sweden in their quarter-final match.

England will face Norway in Birmingham on Sunday 13th May at Burton Albion. If England were to qualify, the semi-finals in on Thursday 17th May.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/may/11/luca-into-quarter-finals

WhiteJC

Derby County Vs Fulham – Play-Off Semi-Final First-Leg

Derby County host Fulham in the first-leg of the Sky Bet Championship Play-Off semi-final. Over to official betting partner Coral to see where the smart money is going...

Coral make Derby slight outsiders at 2/1, but there are three better ways to cash in on a Home Win...

Firstly, Derby's last five home wins all went over 2.5 goals and doubling up the Derby Win & Over 2.5 Goals will increase you odds to a tasty 15/4.

Alternatively, seven of the last eight home matches have also featured goals at both ends, so you might prefer the Derby Win & Both Teams to Score at 9/2.

And there's another option too...

Ten of Derby's 12 home wins this season have been To Nil which is on offer at 4/1.

Plus, you'll find more big prices on offer using Coral's #YourCallbets via Twitter. Simply tweet @coral with a multiple of your choice and if accepted it will appear in the #YourCall section of the match bets.

For example, Derby to win, Cameron Jerome to have 3+ shots & Tom Huddlestone to win 2+ tackles pays 13/2

For the more cautious punter, Both Teams to Score has paid out in Derby's last five and is on offer at 3/4. It's perhaps not big enough to place as a Single bet but perfect for topping up an accumulator.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/05/derby-county-vs-fulham-play-off-semi-final-first-leg

WhiteJC

Here we go ... the lowdown on Middlesbrough and the play-off contenders

THIS afternoon Middlesbrough are back in play-off action, having finished fifth in the Championship.

A draw at Ipswich last Sunday, thanks to Patrick Bamford's late leveller, lined up a two-legged semi-final with Aston Villa, the team which finished just above them in the battle for promotion to the Premier League.

A fifth-place finish bodes reasonably well according to the history books because eight times the team that has finished there has ended up promoted; only third place boasts more (9). Sixth placed teams have been promoted five times.

Finishing fourth did nothing for Boro in 2015, when third-placed Norwich pipped them at Wembley. Since the inception of the play-offs in its current form in 1992, only four teams that have finished fourth have gone up.

The theory that the team which narrowly misses out on an automatic spot, in this year's case Fulham, will struggle to follow the top two to the Premier League is clearly not as strong as is made out.

Norwich's triumph three years ago was the fourth time in the last decade that the team finishing third has won at Wembley, so Fulham will be looking to do the job in the second leg at Craven Cottage on Monday against Derby – even though they had not win a play-off game in six attempts before this year.

Here's a look at the play-off contenders in the Championship:

FULHAM
After losing at Sunderland in December, the Cottagers went on a 23-match unbeaten run having stuttered flowing the disappointment of last season's play-off troubles at Reading.

Fulham can score plenty goals and Newcastle United's Aleksandar Mitrovic, a target for Boro on January deadline day, has given them the extra power up front.

Key-man: Tom Cairney – it would be easy to go for highly-rated teenager Ryan Sessegnon or Mitrovic, but this midfielder really makes the Cottagers tick and is wanted by plenty Premier League clubs.

Play-off record: Missed out on a Wembley appearance last year so will be determined to go one better this time around.

Odds: 7/4

ASTON VILLA
Boro were delighted to have claimed fifth and in doing that they set up a double header with Villa. Under Steve Bruce they have a leader with plenty experience and he knows how to attack the play-offs, having done so with Hull.

Aston Villa have quality within their ranks, experience of big occasions through the likes of John Terry, and they lost on the final day of the regular season for the first time since five. They will be a greater threat at Villa Park, where they have scored 42 times and lost just twice there this season.

Key-man: Rob Snodgrass – the Villans have top-flight quality from back to front, but this one-time Middlesbrough target is here, there and everywhere to free up space for others like Albert Adomah.

Play-off record: Villa have never been involved in the Championship's play-offs before.

Odds: 3/1

MIDDLESBROUGH
Boro go into battle with Villa on the back of an unbeaten four-match run, which was what Tony Pulis wanted when he named a strong team at Ipswich.

His team were behind twice, yet fought back to claim a point courtesy of Bamford's stoppage-time equaliser and the celebrations at the end highlighted how much avoiding defeat meant.

They have the lowest goal return of the four teams in the play-offs but their end of season form has been more like what Pulis has wanted so confidence is high at the right time.

Key-man: Adama Traore – who else? Boro might have plenty of talent but the Spaniard's electrifying pace and direct running could be the difference between another season in the Championship and promotion.

Play-off record: Boro lost out to Norwich at Wembley in 2015. In 1988, under a different format, they beat Chelsea in a promotion-relegation battle.

Odds: 3/1

DERBY COUNTY
The Rams were written off as bottlers after three straight defeats - including a 2-1 reverse at home to Boro - looked like ending their play-off dream. Yet, they stayed sixth and were the only team to have extended their season who won their last league game.

That victory would have seen Derby climb to fifth had Bamford not scored at Ipswich and Gary Rowett's side head into their semi-final with Fulham unbeaten in three.

Key man: Matej Vydra – the Championship's top scorer, beating Lewis Grabban by one. He has scored for fun this season and the 21 times he has found the net is the most of his career.

Play-off record: Derby have appeared in the play-offs six times in 26 years, only once though have the Rams celebrated promotion to the Premier League in 2007.

Odds: 5/1

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough/16220059.Here_we_go_____the_lowdown_on_Middlesbrough_and_the_play_off_contenders/

WhiteJC

Gary Rowett: 'Derby County confident ahead of Fulham tie'

Derby County manager Gary Rowett has insisted that he is feeling "confident" ahead of his side's playoff semi-final tie against Fulham.

The Cottagers head into the two-legged affair as favourites to progress through to the Wembley final later this month, having finished 13 points better off than their opponents at the end of the regular season.

Fulham head into the match on the back of a first defeat in 24 matches, with Rowett's former side Birmingham City finding the magic formula to overcome the in-form Londoners on the final day of the campaign.

Rowett does not intend to copy Birmingham's blueprint, however, telling reporters: "Any team that plays Fulham knows you have to try to limit space because they are a good side and if you give them lots of opportunities to exploit space, they will.

"They make a lot of passes, they are patient in the way they play, they try to drag you out of position and they have got good players. Birmingham did really well because they were incredibly competitive against them, but Birmingham are a different side to us. I know that because I know lots of the players.

"We haven't got [Maikel] Kieftenbeld and [David] Davis in midfield, we haven't got that type of destructive quality. We have got technical players in there that can pass a ball as well as mix it up. I don't think we would ever try to be another team and just copy their gameplan, but what you try to do is look at ways you can hurt Fulham, as you would with any opponent.

"A lot of teams have done that with Fulham over 23 games and no-one seemed to find the solution. We know it will be a tough test, but we are really confident and we cannot wait for the game."

Derby welcome Fulham to Pride Park for the first leg on Friday night, before travelling to Craven Cottage for the return match next Monday.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/derby-county/news/rowett-derby-confident-ahead-of-fulham-tie_325653.html

WhiteJC

There are still tickets available for the Rams game tonight! Here's how to get them

More than 27,000 tickets were sold by Wednesday

There is still a chance to get tickets to see Derby County's clash with Fulham this evening – but bosses at the club are warning fans to be quick.

The fixture, which is part of the highly-anticipated Play-Off Semi-Final, is close to sell-out and the club is calling on supporters to ensure they secure their seat as soon as possible to avoid disappointment – with around 3,000 tickets still on offer.

Tickets for the home game went on general sale on Tuesday and more than 27,000 had been sold by Wednesday afternoon.

Supporters are also being advised to collect their tickets as early as possible to avoid queuing on the night

Away ticket details for Monday's second leg at Craven Cottage have also now been released.

Derby have been given 2,010 tickets, with adults priced at £19, senior citizens and under-22s £9 and under-18s £5.

Fulham are unbeaten against the Rams this season, having shared a 1-1 draw with them at Craven Cottage, before a 2-1 win at Pride Park.

To buy tickets for tonight's game, which cost between £5 and £25, supports can visit their website here .

For match day ticket enquiries and purchases, please visit the Ticket Office at Pride Park Stadium or call 0871 472 1884.

More information at www.dcfc.co.uk/page/tickets.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/tickets-still-available-derby-fulham-1557084

WhiteJC

The Craven Corner: The Post Season Post Mortem

After the start we had this season, if you told a fan that they would have had the chance to finish 2nd on the last day of the season, they wouldn't have believed you.

Despite the heroic performances of 2018, I think it's safe to say that Sunday's result hurt.

As strange as that sounds, that's not just because we lost 3-1 at Birmingham, it was more due to the point that Cardiff only drew, and if we had played the way we have done over the course of 2018, we could be a Premier League club by now. But, it simply wasn't meant to be.

The performance at Birmingham has actually taken me a fair few days to get over as I expected so much more from such a talented and promising side. Then again, as a fan, maybe I've been spoiled in 2018 by Fulham, and that I shouldn't have such high expectations. It is hard to digest though as too many passes went astray and on a day where we needed Captain Cairney, even he looked dejected and our side looked like a team relegated, rather than one still fighting for an automatic promotion spot.

But, if Lucas Piazon had taken his chance early in the first half, would we have seen different outcome? Would Fulham have bottled a 1-0 lead or would have Cardiff turned it up a gear to make sure that they got all three points against Reading, rendering any Fulham victory pointless. There's many 'What if?' scenarios we could play out in our minds, but I completely understand the disappointment and negativity at the final whistle.

Even though the season ended on a dull performance, when you look back at what we've achieved this year it truly is remarkable. It proved that Slavisa Jokanovic has a side capable of promotion, and probably even winning the league but to be champions you've got be the best team over 46 games and not 24.

Fulham were always going to steal the headlines when their inevitable change in form begun, and while I'm not a fan of Neil Warnock, you've got to applaud what he has done at Cardiff this season.

As I've said before, the Championship is a strange league as anyone can beat anyone, and there's always one team that gets promotion which no one expects, and this year it was Cardiff. Over the course of the season, they were a team, it weren't glamourous, they didn't have any superstars but they were consistent and worked hard as a team throughout it, and that's the difference between 2nd and 3rd this season. Fulham left it far too late, we had a mountain to climb, and while we worked damn hard to get to the top, there were too many games that we blew a lead against poor opposition. QPR and Burton spring to mind - and we should have never lost to the leagues poorest side, Sunderland. Which now leaves us in the play-offs for the second season in a row.

If I'm honest, I really want to be optimistic and ambitious about Fulham's chances in the play-offs, but it's probably the hardest play-offs the league has seen in years. Middlesbrough, Derby, Aston Villa & us. All teams that have Premier League ready stars in and each team has their own game winner. Middlesbrough will cause Villa problems no doubt, with the likes of Adama Traore and Bamford against John Terry and James Chester.

Villa still have a Premier League budget, have a leader who can handle the pressure in Terry, but also possess the creative minds of Jack Grealish & Conor Hourihane, who at this level are top quality midfielders. Then we have our opponents, Derby County who have Tom Lawrence & Matej Vydra, two players that I'd love to see in a Fulham shirt. Not only that, but our engine room will have an incredibly tough duel with the likes of Tom Huddlestone, Bradley Johnson and Joe Ledley, all of which still possess the talent needed to play at the highest division.

Don't get me wrong, we're a great side on our day, and I genuinely think we could beat most of the teams in the Premier League when we are at our best. But our record in the play-offs isn't the best, and I think the loss at Birmingham could really effect us, especially as it kills the momentum that we had built over the previous 23 games.

I know, this isn't the most optimistic article you've read this week, but these play-offs have such a big impact on the club. If we make it a success and return back to the Premier League, we should be able to keep this squad together as we'll be able to offer the likes of McDonald, Cairney, Fredericks & Sessegnon Premier League football, rather than having to sell them to PL admirers.

But, if it doesn't happen, we've got the toughest season the club has faced ahead of us next year. Not only would we lose 4 or more top quality players, but we would have to rebuild a side from scratch again. Yes, we'd raise funds through player sales, but we'd be limited by Financial Fair Play, and replacing that talent within such tight boundaries would be a mammoth task. But, let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I've listened to the player interviews this week, and McDonald especially seems confident going into this game, but we've got to make sure we repeat our last trip to Pride Park.

Dominate the ball from the first whistle, and really stretch that Derby back line and midfield with willing runs from the likes of Sessegnon and hopefully Kamara. The reason I mentioned Kamara is because while he's not the most technically gifted player we've seen in a Fulham shirt, he is one of the fastest we've seen and while he is incredibly unpredictable, it's that rawness that causes problems in the final third.

Plus, he provides a bit of fiery passion and strength when playing off Mitrovic. Kamara's return to the side is the only change I'd expect in the starting eleven, as I feel that if we started Piazon he could get played out of the game quite easily. With Piazon's tendencies to drift inside, it won't be the game for him I feel as the centre of the park will already be very busy with all the pressure on Derby's midfield to close the space around Cairney and co.

Finally, I do believe we've got to go and get a win at Derby on Friday, despite being the away team. We can't go out and play safe, and come back with a draw. We've got to really put the pressure on and dictate the tempo to best suit our players. Derby have more than enough quality to cause us trouble, but a possession heavy performance and an early goal would calm any Fulham nerves on and off the pitch!

I also want to say a massive thank you to the team at Fulhamish & Fulham Focus for their organisation and hard work behind the scenes in arranging the Football game in April which helped boost the #Fulham2BirminghamWalk campaign, raising money for The Calm Zone. It was a true pleasure to be a part of and it was great to meet a lot of fellow fans too.

While, Fulhamish's Jack Collins stole the show with four goals, it's great to see the Fulham fan-base using their exposure to raise money for such a worthy cause. We live in a world where there is a lot of pressure on people, and it's okay to talk. Reach out, talk to a friend, a relative or seek support if you are feeling low. Discovering that suicide is the biggest killer of men under 45 is frightening, and if there's anything we can do together as a fanbase, then let's keep raising money for the likes of CALM who help people through the dark times.

Thank you ever so much for your support again this season. The Craven Corner has been going for over six years now, and I can't thank you enough for all your support.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/5/11/17342178/the-craven-corner-the-post-season-post-mortem

WhiteJC

Wilfried Zaha Shows Ryan Sessegnon Why He Must Stay At Fulham For Now

Ryan Sessegnon has his pick of Europe's biggest and best clubs this summer, with Paris Saint-Germain the latest team to be reportedly interested in the Fulham teenager. The 17-year-old has enjoyed a breakthrough year at Fulham and should he choose to, sparking a frenzied race to secure his signature.

He will be tempted. It's only natural that he would be, such is the lure of playing for a club like Manchester United or Arsenal or Chelsea or PSG. Not only would he receive a significant bump in pay, which is tempting enough, but he would have the chance to play at the highest level of the sport, in the Premier League and in the Champions League.

But this presents Sessegnon with a critical juncture in his fledgling career. He should look at the example set by Wilfried Zaha, who was this weekend named the Premier League's Player of the Month. Not so long ago, Zaha faced a similar choice after a breakthrough season in the Championship. He too was one of the most sought-after young players in England.

Zaha decided to join Manchester United, making the move to Old Trafford for ___ million. But the switch was too much too soon for the winger. He failed to make any sort of impression, folding under the pressure that was heaped on his shoulders while he was still a teenager. Now, Zaha has rediscovered his form, but it is at a lower level and there is a sense that he has wasted a crucial part of his career.

Sessegnon, if he is to become the true star that so many believe he will be, cannot afford to make the same mistake. This is why he must stay at Fulham for the time being. Even if the Cottagers fail to earn promotion to the Premier League this season, it is the best place for Sessegnon to be at this stage of his development. He is still only 17. First team football is what he needs right now. Would he get that at Manchester United or PSG? It seems unlikely.

Of course, the point could be made that at 17 Sessegnon could still make the move to a superclub before being loaned out to keep playing first team football at a lower level, preparing him for the top level later in his career. Look at how loan moves prepared Harry Kane for life at the top. The same could work for Sessegnon.

He must have patience, though. Make the wrong move now and it could hinder his development, and therefore the rest of his career. Zaha still hasn't worked his way back to the top of the game after making a misstep a number of years ago. Sessegnon must heed the warning that the Crystal Palace winger offers him.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/wilfried-zaha-shows-ryan-sessegnon-why-he-must-stay-at-fulham-for-now

WhiteJC

Fulham need to make sure they don't lose momentum after missing out on automatic promotion

Not since the 2011/12 season, when West Ham United gained promotion via the play-offs, has the team that finished in third place in the Championship been promoted to the Premier League.

Knowing that you were just a few points away on the final day from securing one of the two top spots can be devastating, and cause a real slump going into the play-offs.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side face Derby County tonight in the first leg of their play-off semi-final, and will need to make sure they aren't feeling sorry for themselves, or they too could end up in the Championship for another season.

To pick yourself back up from the edge of glory and go out and fight once again will be the telling factor in how good this Fulham side are.

With the attacking threat of Aleksandar Mitrovic in the middle and Piazon and Sessegnon on the wings, who have all contributed to Fulham's impressive 79 league goals this campaign, they arguably have the best attacking line up out of all the play-off contenders.

The Rams have conceded the most goals out of the top eight sides in the Championship this season, so Jokanovic's men should be confident of finding the back of the net at Pride Park this evening.

Whether Fulham can find the form they were in at the large majority of this season will be their biggest test yet. If they let their heads drop after missing out on promotion to England's top flight on the final day of the regular season, we could see Derby County secure the win and snatch a spot at Wembley.

Fulham will be hoping star man Ryan Sessegnon can find form one more and central midfield maestro and captain Tom Cairney can run the show, and secure themselves a victory over Derby County in the first leg of their play-off semi-final tonight at 7:45pm.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-need-to-make-sure-they-dont-lose-momentum-after-missing-out-on-automatic-promotion/

WhiteJC

Football Tips Friday 11 May 2018: Mitrovic Can Bag In Championship Play-Offs Opener

The EFL Championship play-offs are some of the highest-stakes games you're likely to find, with an estimated £200M on offer to the club that wins the four-way go and ascends to the top tier of English football.

Derby and Fulham will kick proceedings off tonight at Pride Park in the first leg of their semi-final. It's a third versus sixth affair as late-season form side Slaviša Jokanović's Fulham find themselves in Derbyshire having just failed to make automatic promotion.

The home side are 2/1 shots to win on the night, with their visitors in at 6/4 and the draw at 12/5. They're some attractive prices and indicate how difficult a game this one is to call.

Derby have the services of the in-form Cameron Jerome and Matěj Vydra on the side and manager Gary Rowett is no daw; they'll be well drilled ahead of this test. Meanwhile, Fulham have shown some startling, free-flowing football in the second half of the season with the likes of young Ryan Sessegnon to call upon.

While these games can be famously cagey affairs, we think both of these teams have the capability of bagging at least once here, an eventuality that can be brought onside at a price of 8/11.

In terms of other selections, we'll supplement our main wager with a toe-dip into the goalscorer markets. On-loan Newcastle striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has be a revelation since his switch to Craven Cottage, scoring 10 in 14, at 6/5 to find the net in this one, the gutsy frontman is fairly priced.

Derby V Fulham Odds    
Yes    8/11

Anytime Goalscorer    
Aleksandar Mitrovic    6/5
Odds correct as of 11/05/18 15:28:26. Odds are subject to change

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/football-tips-friday-11-may-2018-mitrovic-can-bag-in-championship-play-off-opener

WhiteJC

Playoff Semi Finals Preview

Just like that, we've reached the playoffs again.

Once more the Championship becomes the most interesting element of English football. The world will hold its breath whilst waiting to see which team that wasn't as good as Wolves or Cardiff will finish in the bottom half of the Premier League in May 2019.

Way back last July one of my pre-season predictions was that Fulham would win promotion and so I'm committed to backing the Cottagers this year. That's usually been the kiss of death since I started writing for this blog, although it's worth remembering that over the last decade the third and fifth placed teams have won seven of the last ten finals.

Having written that, it's fair to say that nothing really jumps out from the dozen games between the four playoff contenders other than Aston Villa and Fulham  were better than Derby and Middlesbrough. There were only two home wins in those matches – Villa and Fulham beat each other once – but with Boro having quickly adapted to Tony Pulis' style of football, I'd agree with the bookies and say that Derby are the outsiders.

Derby v Fulham (this evening, 7:45pm, Sky Sports Football/Main Event)

In a scenario that will have been horribly familiar to Derby fans but not entirely out of the blue for the rest of us, having been second at the start of February The Rams almost dropped out of the playoffs last month. A team that can lose 4-1 at home to Sunderland yet still has a chance of winning promotion is an outstanding example of not only how daft the Championship can be but also indicates that Derby's record of five consecutive top ten finishes without promotion will probably continue next season. It's fair to say that if you neutralise Matej Vydra you can stop them and the defence has only kept one clean sheet at home since February.

Defeat at Birmingham last weekend was Fulham's first reverse on the road since before Christmas, so was that just a sign of things to come or just acceptance that automatic promotion wasn't going to happen? Worryingly for those of us backing them, the Cottagers have now gone ten away games without losing, which usually means another defeat is just around the corner. On the other hand, no team scored more goals away from home during the season than Fulham and – combined with Derby's defensive frailties – could be a recipe for success.

Since 2000, Derby have beaten Fulham in half of their last six league meetings at Pride Park. Fulham won at Derby at the start of March with early goals from Mitrovic and Sessegnon before Huddlestone replied for the hosts.

Verdict: it would not surprise me at all if Fulham won this evening but then drew at Craven Cottage next week.

Middlesbrough v Aston Villa (5:15pm tomorrow, Sky Sports Football/Main Event)

Steve Gibson's rather naive pre-season comment that Boro were going to 'smash' the Championship was looking unlikely as early as October, although as I pointed just after Christmas, Middlesbrough couldn't be ruled out of the playoffs. Although they didn't crack the top six until the start of March and have only lost twice since then, Tony Pulis' appointment on Boxing Day clearly suits the players he inherited from Garry Monk: only Cardiff conceded fewer goals at home this season but their 'defence first' style at the Riverside has resulted in them scoring more goals in away matches this season. Middlesbrough have only lost two of their last ten home games – they almost earned a point against Fulham – and it's only a couple of years since they were last in the playoffs.

Aston Villa have been in the playoff spots for most of the season but never really looked like automatic promotion material after losing at Fulham in February and consecutive defeats a few weeks later confirmed that analysis. One of those games (Bolton) appeared to trigger some sort of crisis of confidence as Villa have only won one of their four aways since then; it's also highly significant that they lost all three games without scoring when they travelled to the teams that finished immediately above them this season.

Head to head: this looks particularly bad for Boro – their last home win against Villa was in December 2004 and they've met on Teeside in the league on five subsequent occasions. Boro have lost four of those games.

Verdict: on paper any game between Tony Pulis and Steve Bruce always looks as if it could finish 0-0. However, if Middlesbrough want to win promotion they'll have to win tomorrow because the prospect of travelling to Villa Park next week without any sort of advantage will be a mountain to climb. I don't think Boro will lose, but that may not be good enough to reach Wembley.

I'll be back with an update at some point over the weekend although it's more likely to be late on Sunday. At that point we'll also definitely know if Swansea will be returning to the Championship along with Stoke and West Brom.

http://www.buzzinchampionshipfootball.co.uk/playoff-semi-finals-preview/4346

WhiteJC

Fulham have no time to be disappointed ahead of play-off first leg with Derby

Fulham take on Derby County this evening in the first leg of the Championship play-offs and Jokanovic insists there's no time to dwell on the past

Fulham have no time to be disappointed and think about past play-offs games ahead of the trip to Derby County, according to Slavisa Jokanovic.

A final day defeat at Birmingham City meant the side missed out on automatic promotion after Cardiff City's draw with Reading, while defeat in the play-offs last year to the Madjeski outfit was another blow in their chase for Premier League football.

A year on, Fulham prepare for a trip to Pride Park to take on Derby, with both sides hoping to take a positive result into the second leg at Craven Cottage on Monday in order to help ease their passage to a play-off final at Wembley.

Sunday was a day of disappointment for the Whites, while last season in Reading was a scene of heartbreak, but the head coach insists now is not the time to cry about those games, with the focus purely on Derby tonight.

He said: "I don't have the time to be disappointed, I don't have the time for crying or for not trusting my team.

"I don't have the time for thinking about different players because these people offer us, myself and our supporters, the great level of football and show great confidence and ambition and self belief.

"After one bad step, I cannot complain about them. First of all I want to say I made some kind of the mistake, my players didn't make any mistakes and I am confident they will do it our normal way and normal football game and will fight for our best performance."

Last year's play-off was a let down for a side that looked so good going into the end of season showpiece - a 1-1 draw at the Cottage followed by a 1-0 loss at Reading meant it was another season in the second tier for Fulham.

Lots have been said about how the side have never won a play-off game, but Jokanovic revealed he's never watched last year's defeat back and is more interested in the last season and how Derby have set up.

He added: "We didn't make so many mistakes last year.

"We lost one 50-50 decision when we touched the ball with a hand after a complicated situation.

"From my point of view, it was not the way to decide who plays in a final, but it's football. I don't look back at this game.

"I don't remember this game as a game where Reading put my team under so many pressure where they dominated the team.

"For some small details, we weren't in our best levels and I expect this experience can serve us to be more quiet and focused to do our job better.

"I cannot tell you how many games I watched, but after this game I never watched it or made any analysis about this game.

"I am not interested in this game, after this I played I played 50 games more and watched all them and many games for opposite team and Derby."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-no-time-disappointed-ahead-14646229

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic maintains Fulham have had a 'fantastic' season ahead of Derby County meeting

They missed out on automatic promotion but this season has still been a success, says Jovanovic

Slavisa Jokanovic maintains Fulham had a "fantastic" season despite coming within one match of gaining automatic promotion.

The Cottagers have had to settle for a play-off place having been pipped to second place by Cardiff City on the final day of the season, with a showdown at Derby County tonight (7.45pm) looming.

A 3-1 defeat to Birmingham City extinguished any hopes of promotion to the Premier League automatically, and they'll have to go the scenic route in their bid for the top flight.

"Our season was fantastic and many teams want to be in this position," he said.

"No one believed us in the middle of December and now we are in situation with three games ahead of us and we are great confidence.

"Birmingham managed the game for the first 45 and didn't take so many risks. If we saw some goals in first half it may be different.

"This game is behind us, we didn't perform and played all season fantastic and showed ambition and belief and I see in my team this week, confidence.

"We must be ready for different situations. After a really long unbeaten run we lost one important game and must accept we didn't play well enough After that, we must be strong and brave to continue the competition and stick together."

Derby felll to defeat at the hands of Fulham the last time the pair met, on March 3, and jokanovic reckons momentum helped spur his side on.

The play-offs are a different beast, though, and he knows that too well having suffered defeat at the same stage last season to Reading.

"We played well at Derby, this is the momentum of the Championship where we didn't have space to make mistakes," he added.

"This is just like the games we played in the last couple of months, like cup games, fighting to push the team.

"180 minutes is ahead of us and we expect everything will be open after the game on Friday. At the end we must be ready for the challenge and be ready for game at the Cottage."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-maintains-fulham-fantastic-1553149