https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (28/09/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 28, 2010, 07:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214841
Fulham - Kamara`s Chance!
The injuries to three of our main strikers, Andy Johnson, Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele; has left us short of options up front.

But the shortage of strikers has re-opened the door for one of our forgotten men, Diomansy Kamara, to show what he can do.

Many pundits thought that Kamara would be on his way this summer, especially after spells away from Craven Cottage on loan.

Kamara though sees this as the ideal opportunity to stake a claim for a first team place and has also commented about how he prefers the new Mark Hughes inspired regime, explaining,

"I enjoy the style of football here more now under Hughes. There is no fault with Roy Hodgson, he did really well here."

"But training with Hughes is better as you do more with the ball. We are more attacking as a team."

"Right now some of our strikers are injured and I have more chance to play. I`m ready to play in attack for Fulham."

There`ll always be a place in our heart for Diomansy (Joe) Kamara, those two goals he netted, away to Manchester City, when that great fight-back began that saw us perform the great escape, will always guarantee that!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214841#ixzz10nwemQQH

WhiteJC

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/duffs-decline.html?
Duff's Decline
By: timmyg

For all the talk about Danny Murphy "losing his legs" at the end of matches, I think our eyes should be focused away from our talismanic baldy toward our (okay, my) erstwhile MVP, Damien Duff.

Last season I awarded Damien Duff the Most Valuable Player for his amazing goal-scoring record at the end of games. Unfortunately, based upon current results, that award is being dated rather quickly.

Look at the following charts that show Damien's passes in the last 25 minutes of a game. Why did I choose 25 minutes?

Because that is really when MVP-caliber players show themselves, and last year Duff scored 3 goals in the last 25 minutes.

Yikes.

On Saturday against Everton Duff attempted just 5 passes, two of which were corners. Last weekend at Blackburn he attempted the same amount, three were sideways. Can we even make anything out the Blackpool graph?? (Although it is worth noting that Duff was subbed out at the 85th minute at Blackpool.) Only against United did he manage more than just 5 passes over the final twenty-five minutes (and contributed to the equalizing goal off by taking the corner), but look where a bulk of the passes are headed: backwards.

One aspect shielding our focus about Duff's decline is that he has not been subbed out late in matches like Murphy has.

When evaluating older players, a message that gets sent by the manager (be it correct or incorrect) is how often they are subbed out late in matches. There is a subconscious and direct correlation between the two dynamics.

Well, Duff has been subbed out just once, in the 85th minute at Blackpool for Jonathan Greening. Compare that to Murphy being subbed out 3 times and Davies subbed out just twice. Duff was not fit for the Wolves match, so we cannot get a full comparison between him and the others. But when using percentages we find that Duff stays on the field more than Davies or Murphy: Duff is subbed out 20% of the time, Davies 33%, and Murphy 50%. (N.B. Etuhu has never been subbed out, and Dempsey and Gera have been playing out of position recently, so it wouldn't be accurate to include them.)

But then compare that nugget to Simon Davies' production in the last 25 minutes. I elected a smaller sample size and matches where Davies was kept on the field not because of surreptitiousness, but just to quickly show what the other side of midfield is up to:

We see Davies not just more involved, but also more threatening.

Now, Davies' production could be tactical in that Mark Hughes wants the offense to flow through his fellow Welshman. So why then keep Duff on the field? Sorry for using hindsight, but surely Bjorn Helge Riise could offer a little bit more.

I wonder then if all the injuries are forcing Hughes' hand. Surely if Zamora and Dembele were fit, that would free up Dempsey and Gera to replace Duff as his current production would not cut it for even a starter. But then injuries at the back, such as Stephen Kelly's early knock on Saturday forced Hughes to eat a substitution.

But there have been other matches, like last week at Blackburn, where Duff's non-involvement and Hughes not having to make forced substitutions could have meant inclusion for Riise.

I'm interested to see what happens to Duff this coming Saturday at West Ham. I can see Hughes starting him because of all our injuries, but I really hope he doesn't play the full 90. If there was ever a time for Riise, it would be now.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/9/27/1714713/ten-things-i-think-about-fulham-football-club-this-week-9-27?
Ten Things I Think About Fulham Football Club This Week 9/27

Each week I write a post about different thoughts I have about Fulham. I apologize for missing a week, but I am ready to let you know what is on my mind regarding the Cottagers. There certainly is plenty to write about. Fulham lost their first match this season to Stoke City in the Carling Cup. They also had another draw over the weekend against Everton at home. Fulham also lost Moussa Dembele for a few weeks with an injury in the Stoke game. I will be discussing those subjects and many more. Below are my " Ten Things I Think About Fulham Football Club".   

1. It might be a blessing in disguise with the loss to Stoke City in the Carling Cup. Fulham lost their first match of the season last Tuesday on the road. I don't like to see Fulham lose, but in the end the loss could help the team. Fulham played so many matches last season. For awhile they will now be playing about a game a week. This will help the club concentrate on what is most important and that is the EPL.

I still think Fulham have the ability to fight for a European spot this season. If they can end the season seventh or better that would probably get them back into Europe. I want them to get back in the Europa League. Playing less games could help them in completing this goal.

2. I think Fulham were very lucky with the injury to Moussa Dembele. This player I believe has the potential to be a real star in the EPL. With Fulham losing Bobby Zamora for the long term, if Moussa Dembele was going to be out for the same time it could have been devastating for the club. Reportedly he might only be out up to three weeks.

Fulham can survive Dembele being out in the short term. Hopefully someone will step up, and help create some goal scoring opportunities in Dembele's absence. 

3. The Everton draw was predictable. Fulham on Saturday played a 0-0 draw with Everton at Craven Cottage. Without Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele up front who was going to score the goals for Fulham? Unfortunately the answer was no one. Fulham will struggle to score I think until Dembele returns. I believe fans need to be realistic that the next couple of games could be similar to the Everton draw. 

4. I feel Carlos Salcido is an upgrade compared to Paul Konchesky. I have seen enough from Salcido that I believe that Fulham are better off now at left back. Salcido is a complete two way player. He is solid on defense and has the ability to push forward. His crosses have already led to goals. Salcido makes me feel confident that it is only a matter of time before he is involved with more goals. I am thrilled with what I have seen from Salcido.

5. Diomansy Kamara could be very valuable to Fulham this season. With all of the striker issues it was great to see Kamara return to the pitch. I have seen him score some key goals in the past for Fulham. He could be a factor at the striker position in the short term. I am glad he is still with Fulham.   

6. I think Clint Dempsey is more comfortable in the midfield. He has done a decent job filling in at striker, but I don't think that position is meant for him. When he moved back in the midfield during the Everton game I thought the team played better.

7. I think John Pantsil is on his way out at Fulham. He has been replaced the last few games at right back. I don't know if he will see much action this season. He is obviously gotten out of favor with Mark Hughes. I like Pantsil as a player, and hope at some point he can get back on the pitch for Fulham. However, right now I would be surprised to see him anytime soon.   

8. I would love to see Andy Johnson be back this week for the West Ham match. Reportedly he could be back very soon for Fulham. Johnson I still think has the ability to score goals. Fulham need a proven goal scorer right now. Let's hope he is available this Saturday on the road.

9. It is time for a win on the road.  I think I say this every week. This is the week that Fulham win on the road. Fulham have a great opportunity against West Ham. This is a team they can beat on the road. I know Fulham are short of goal scorers, but they still should figure out a way to get a victory.

10. Liverpool need to be patient with Roy Hodgson.  I wrote about Hodgson last week. The former Fulham manager is stuggling at Liverpool. It is too early I think to panic for Liverpool fans. I really believe he will get them moving in the right direction. It just might take some time. It is a long season, and I think by the end of the year Liverpool fans could be happy with the results. I still see them ending in the top seven or better.   

Well, I certainly had much on my mind this week. I am sure there will be plenty to write about next week.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/09/27/2139434/mark-hughes-hopes-mark-schwarzer-will-sign-a-new-contract-at?
Mark Hughes Hopes Mark Schwarzer Will Sign A New Contract At Fulham
Cottagers boss keen for Australian to pen fresh deal.

Fulham manager Mark Hughes is hopeful goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer will sign a new contract at the club despite persistent links with a move to Arsenal.

Hughes is confident he can stave off more interest from the north London club - who failed to meet Fulham's asking price for the 37-year-old over the summer - by having the Australian pen a new deal at Craven Cottage.

He was quoted as saying by the Daily Mail: "He's settled down and we're talking to him in terms of his future. He's got options."

Fulham rejected offers from the Gunners over the summer, including a deadline day bid for the 'keeper, but Hughes believes Schwarzer will see west London as the place to continue his career.

"He's in the last year of his contract so we'd like to think his future lies here," Hughes added.

Schwarzer signed for Fulham in 2008 after 11 years with Middlesbrough. Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has been tracking the stopper for some time and he remains unconvinced with current keepers Manuel Almunia and Lukasz Fabianski.

WhiteJC

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20100927/under-2000-fulham-tickets-left_2236884_2167571?
Under 2,000 Fulham tickets left
The Boleyn Ground will be packed on Saturday as the Hammers look to make it four games unbeaten

Fans flocking to get tickets for the Fulham derby this weekend will need to move fast with under 2,000 seats left for the Kids for a Quid contest.

The Hammers are on a roll with a three-match unbeaten run, including a memorable first victory in 13 capital clashes with the 1-0 win at home to Tottenham Hotspur last weekend. Mark Hughes' Cottagers will be aiming for a first win in six matches at the Boleyn and it promises to be a lively affair when it all gets under way at 3pm on Saturday.

Avram Grant is spoilt for choice in attack with Carlton Cole and Benni McCarthy pushing in-form duo Frederic Piquionne and Victor Obinna, while Robert Green, Matthew Upson and Scott Parker have all raised their game in recent weeks. The manager has plenty of options throughout the side with Pablo Barrera and Kieron Dyer looking potent and pacy on the flanks.

Skipper Upson described the Saturday success against Spurs as "probably as well as we've played in the last two seasons over 90 minutes" - underlining the progress made. An unchanged defence for the first time in the Barclays Premier League this season also played its part, with Upson adding: "We've had a bit more continuity. That is everything as far as the defence is concerned."

With demand high, tickets could well sell out before the weekend. A home win would take the Hammers into the international break on a high and put them within striking distance of the top half of the table ahead of Wolverhampton Wanderers and Newcastle United to come.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/DallaValleFeelingGood.aspx?
Feeling Good at Fulham

Lauri Dalla Valle has long been labelled one of the most exciting young goal scoring prospects in the country. Tipped for a bright future from a young age, the 19-year-old now finds himself at Craven Cottage...

Lauri, having joined the Club over the summer, how have you found things so far?
I'm very happy that the opportunity to sign for Fulham came up and I feel very comfortable here. I've been really impressed with what I have seen and the intensity of training has been very high, which is good. The coaches here are fantastic and for a young player like myself there is so much I can learn from them. It's down to me to take that onboard and become a better a player.

You spent two years at one of Europe's biggest clubs, Liverpool, so what influenced your decision to leave for Fulham?
True, Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs, but at Fulham the people are a lot closer. From the First Team through to the Development Squad and down to the Academy there are strong links and everyone is working together to move the Club forward. That is a good thing for everybody. Sometimes at Liverpool that wasn't always the way. It got to the point where I had to be realistic about my future. For me, the path to the Liverpool first team was very difficult. I was competing against a lot of players, even in the reserves. It was tough because no matter how well you played or how hard you trained, the chances were slim. But Fulham offered me the chance to further my career. From day one I have had a good feeling about this Club and hopefully I can show what I can do.

You were very highly-rated at Anfield, but for Whites fans that haven't seen you in action yet, how would you describe yourself as a player?
Well, I am a centre forward, and one of my biggest strengths is my ability to get into good goal scoring opportunities. I have always scored goals and like to think that I can make a difference. I always try and think a move ahead of my opponent - often that can be the difference in scoring a goal. But I am not just about scoring goals. I think I have good movement and always try bring others into play.

With Paul Konchesky going the other way, you came in alongside another Liverpool youngster Alex Kacaniklic. What can you tell us about him?
He's a very good left-winger, with sharp feet and a fantastic ability in one-on-one situations. He crosses a good ball and has provided quite a few assists for me down the years. I think he is a player that can excite fans and will hopefully make a big impact here. He's only got good things to say about the Club too!

Fulham's Head of Talent ID and Recruitment Malcolm Elias is the man responsible for initially bringing you to England, did he play a part in your decision to move to Craven Cottage in any way?
I've known Malcolm for a while now and he was the scout that brought me to Liverpool from Finland. I had previously spent time at Internazionale when I was 14, so it wasn't my first move to a different country, but when that didn't quite work out for me, I returned home. A year or so later Malcolm spotted me playing for my national team so I have a lot to thank him for. He is a good man and he is one of the reasons why I am a Fulham player. He speaks very highly of this Club, and when he says such things you have to listen, because he's very honest. He works so hard at what he does and with him here Fulham have a bright future.

Billy McKinlay's Development Squad, where you start your life as a Fulham player, has proved an ideal environment for young players in recent seasons. What is your assessment of the work that he is carrying out here?
I have been told about the good work that has taken place within the Development Squad, most notably the progress of Chris Smalling. It is clear that this is a place where young players can improve. I have been really impressed by Billy and even in the short time that I have been here I feel that I have learned a lot. One of the things he has been working with me on is my running in behind defenders – something that will hopefully allow me to score more goals. He's very hands on, and is always speaking to his players. I believe my opportunity will come as a result and when it does I have to make the most of it.

And finally, Lauri, what are your targets for the season ahead?
My biggest ambition this season, which will be my first, is to improve as a player. Of course, I want to score as many goals as I can because that is the reason why the Club signed me, but a positive season is the primary target.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/DallaValleFeelingGood.aspx?#ixzz10nz0RXHz

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/HughesOnStrikers.aspx
Chance To Shine

With Diomansy Kamara back in the frame and Andy Johnson returning to First Team training, things are looking up in terms of Fulham's attacking options following recent injuries to Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele.

After last weekend's draw with Everton, Mark Hughes stated that now is the time for Fulham's squad of strikers to 'step up to the plate and give us some more options'.

"We've lost key personnel with Bobby and Mousa out so these guys are going to have to get the job done," Hughes told fulhamfc.com.

"I'm still getting to know them as a group of players. I have seen Diomansy [Kamara] from afar when I brought teams here [to Fulham] in the past and played against him.

"He's had something like four or five training sessions and half a game so I haven't really seen his qualities first hand yet.

"Eddie [Johnson] has got a lot of ability but maybe at times he needs a little bit more self confidence but that will come. He made an impact last Saturday so that will help him.

"Andy [Johnson] is joining in with the senior squad and we've got matches, behind closed doors, organised for his benefit in the coming weeks. Hopefully he'll get through them okay and he'll be an option, albeit initially on the bench."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/HughesOnStrikers.aspx#ixzz10nzKFA4k

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/JohnsonsChance.aspx
Fresh Start

US international striker Eddie Johnson, back in contention at Fulham this season, is seeking to repay the faith Manager Mark Hughes has shown in him by making his mark on the pitch in the months ahead. 

"I'm delighted to be getting my chance," Eddie told fulhamfc.com. "Mark Hughes has come in for Roy Hodgson, who did a really good job at the Club, and has really given me a chance to get my name back out there and show the fans and the Club my worth.

"I worked hard in pre-season to impress the Manager and I've been carrying that through on a day-to-day basis. With the injuries that have happened, to guys that are friends of mine on the Team, I've been given a chance.

"I want to keep building up the minutes out there. This is the best League in the world that gets the most coverage and exposure so players always come and go. It's a League where if you don't take your chance you will be replaced in a couple of months.

"I've always had faith in my ability and I knew that when Mark Hughes came in as Manager it would be a fresh start for everyone. Even before the injuries I was always in the 20 players selected so I kept my head down and just kept working hard."

Johnson has spent a fair amount of time out on loan in recent seasons and whilst his minutes on the pitch for Fulham have been limited over the past few years, his heart has clearly remained at the Cottage. 

"Fulham's a very good Club and a family orientated Club. When you go out on loan like I did, and you're away from the Team, you may not be there physically but your spirit is always with the Club."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/JohnsonsChance.aspx#ixzz10nzdFOts

WhiteJC

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/09/26/arsenal-to-use-almunia-as-bait-to-land-8m-spanish-international/
Arsenal to Use Almunia as Bait to Land £8m Spanish International

Emirates boss makes plans to land Villarreal goalie.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is so infuriated by the continued failures of keeper Manuel Almunia that he is ready to use the Spaniard to help land Villarreal's highly rated goalie Diego Lopez. The Gunners manager watched on in horror as his number one choice custodian made two embarrassing errors to hand West Brom a surprise victory at the Emirates.

Former Real Madrid youth player Lopez is currently the third choice Spanish national team keeper and has impressed many with his consistent displays over the past two seasons and has as a result been linked with a move away from the small La Liga side.

Almunia has already been quoted as saying that if he loses the starting spot at Arsenal then he would have to look for a move away from the north London club and would probably be keen on a return to Spain over a move to another Premier League club.

Lopez has already been targeted by Wenger in the past and many believe the Arsenal manager made a mistake in not bringing in a new goalie and instead putting all his eggs in one basket in a failed attempt to sign Fulham veterran Mark Schwarzer.

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/44329/Cottagers_eye_Schwarzer_extension.aspx?
Cottagers eye Schwarzer extension

Fulham manager Mark Hughes remains hopeful that veteran goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer will sign a new contract with the Cottagers.

The 37-year-old Australia international came close to joining Arsenal before the transfer window shut at the end of last month, but Hughes is now upbeat about keeping Schwarzer at Craven Cottage beyond the end of the season.

"He's settled down and we're talking to him in terms of his future - he's got options," Hughes said.

"He's in the last year of his contract, so we'd like to think his future lies here."

Meanwhile, Hughes has challenged his back-up strikers to come to the fore with both Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele currently sidelined by injury.

He told his club's official website: "We've lost key personnel with Bobby and Moussa out, so these guys are going to have to get the job done.

"I have seen Diomansy Kamara from afar when I brought teams to Fulham in the past and played against him.

"Eddie Johnson has got a lot of ability, but maybe at times he needs a little bit more self-confidence, but that will come.

"Andy Johnson is joining in with the senior squad and we've got matches behind closed doors organised for his benefit in the coming weeks."

Tom

Fulham for life!

JBH

Yes the jacket is for sale in the club shop @ £59.99 I think

Tom

Quote from: JBH on September 28, 2010, 08:32:20 AM
Yes the jacket is for sale in the club shop @ £59.99 I think
Thanks JBH! They don't offer it on the on-line shop.
Fulham for life!

WhiteJC

http://football.uk.reuters.com/leagues/world/news/2010/09/28/SGE68R018.php?rpc=401
Australia's Cahill, Schwarzer named for Paraguay friendly

MELBOURNE, Sept 28 (Reuters) - Australia coach Holger Osieck named English Premier League players Tim Cahill and Mark Schwarzer on Tuesday in a 19-man squad to play Paraguay in Sydney on Oct. 9.

Left winger Harry Kewell and striker Josh Kennedy have been named for the first time since the World Cup in South Africa after injuries forced them to miss matches against Poland and Switzerland.

The friendly will be Australia's fifth match against Paraguay, with the Socceroos winning one and drawing three.

Squad:
Goalkeepers: Mark Schwarzer, Eugene Galekovic
Defenders: Luke Wilkshire, Michael Thwaite, Jade North, Lucas Neill, Jon McKain, Richard Garcia
Midfielders: Carl Valeri, Matthew McKay, Harry Kewell, Mile Jedinak, Jason Culina, David Carney, Tim Cahill
Forwards: Dario Vidosic, Scott McDonald, Josh Kennedy, Alex Brosque.

WhiteJC

http://www.footylatest.com/fulham-hitman-determined-to-shine-versus-west-ham/16767?
Fulham hitman determined to shine versus West Ham

Injury struck Fulham still have some hope up front where goals are concerned and Diomansy Kamara is hoping it will be him to score them in Zamora's, Dembele's, and Andrew Johnson's absence.

These are the sort of chances that some Premiership strikers never get, losing three forwards for Fulham will have an effect but that could be negated should Kamara have his shooting boots on. Their last match against Everton at Craven Cottage was an example of what happens when a team lack firepower and they will need goals if Fulham are to beat West Ham next weekend.

Kamara, from Senegal prefers Mark Hughes' training methods and believes it will be beneficial to him.

"I enjoy the style of football here more now under Hughes, there is no fault with Roy Hodgson, he did really well here."

The Fulham hitman continued.

"But training with Hughes is better as you do more with the ball. We are more attacking as a team. Right now some of our strikers are injured and I have more chance to play. I'm ready to play in attack for Fulham."

Fulham have done considerably well considering the injuries inflicted and sit quite comfortably in 7th knowing a win at West Ham could put the West London club in fifth or even fourth spot.

WhiteJC

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/football/8417853.Diomansy_and_Johnson_can_fill_Fulham_void/?
Diomansy and Johnson can fill Fulham void

Fulham boss Mark Hughes believes the returns of Diomansy Kamara and Andy Johnson can paper over the cracks in his forward line.

Hughes was left fuming last week after Tuesday's Carling Cup defeat to Stoke City when summer signing Mousa Dembele was forced off late in the game following a rash challenge from Andy Wilkinson.

The Cottagers bounced back with a 0-0 draw at Everton on Saturday - that saw Kamara make his return to action - to stretch their unbeaten start to the Premier League campaign and moved them up to seventh in the table.

Johnson is expected to return to first team training this week ahead of Saturday's visit to West Ham United, although Hughes - who will be without Bobby Zamora for five months - has warned he will need time to fill the void.

"We've lost key personnel with Bobby and Mousa out, so these guys are going to have to get the job done," he said.

"I'm still getting to know them as a group of players. I have seen Diomansy from afar when I brought teams to Fulham in the past.

"He's had something like four or five training sessions and half a game, so I haven't really seen his qualities first hand yet.

"Andy is joining in with the senior squad and we've got matches - behind closed doors - organised for his benefit in the coming weeks.

"Hopefully, he'll get through them okay and he'll be an option, albeit initially on the bench."

Hughes was a relieved man after receiving news Dembele was only likely to be missing for a couple of weeks, but he was no less angry about the challenge.

"I would imagine after the international break he'll be fit and well," he added.

"He's been very lucky. The challenge was unnecessary and we're thankful it's not any more serious.

"At the time I was extremely angry and made my feelings known. I was disappointed by the challenge.

"I've been pleased with what Mousa's produced this season and to not have him available from a tackle so late in the game is frustrating, but we'll get him back as soon as possible."

Fulham's next three games: Oct 2 West Ham United (a), 16 Tottenham Hotspur (h), 23 West Brom (a).

WhiteJC

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6405640,00.html?
FRIENDLIES TO HELP JOHNSON

Fulham have organised a series of friendlies behind closed doors to help striker Andy Johnson get back to full fitness following his eight-month injury layoff.

Johnson returned to first-team training this week after being out since January with a knee injury which he picked up against Blackburn.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes revealed the measures laid out to help the return of the £10.5million man, who underwent an operation performed by world-renowned surgeon Dr Richard Steadman earlier this year, after Saturday's goalless draw with Everton

"Andy [Johnson] is joining in with the senior squad and we've got matches, behind closed doors, organised for his benefit in the coming weeks," Hughes told the club's official website.

"Hopefully he'll get through them okay and he'll be an option, albeit initially on the bench."

Johnson's return will be a welcome boost to Hughes, who has seen his striking options reduced thanks to recent injuries to Mousa Dembele and Bobby Zamora.

Dembele, who has scored three goals since arriving from AZ Alkmaar this summer, is out for at least a fortnight with an ankle injury while England striker Zamora is expected to be out until February with a broken leg.

Hughes also hopes that back-up strikers Eddie Johnson and Diomansy Kamara can step up to the plate in the duo's absence.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/09/28/2140225/fulham-manager-mark-hughes-looking-to-diomansy-kamara-andy
Fulham manager Mark Hughes looking to Diomansy Kamara & Andy Johnson in absence of Bobby Zamora & Moussa Dembele
Cottagers boss assesses his attacking options...

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has thrown down the gauntlet to Diomansy Kamara and Andy Johnson to do the damage up front during the absence of Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele.

Zamora will be out for a majority of the season after sustaining ligament damage and a broken leg in a 2-1 victory over Wolves, while the Belgium international is currently sidelined after having fallen prey to injury during the League Cup loss to Stoke City.

However, the presence of Kamara, coupled with Andy Johnson's return to training following a long lay-off, has come as positive news for the gaffer.

"We've lost key personnel with Bobby and Mousa out so these guys are going to have to get the job done," Hughes told the club's official website.

"I'm still getting to know them as a group of players. I have seen Diomansy [Kamara] from afar when I brought teams here [to Fulham] in the past and played against him.

"He's had something like four or five training sessions and half a game so I haven't really seen his qualities first hand yet.

"Eddie [Johnson] has got a lot of ability but maybe at times he needs a little bit more self confidence but that will come. He made an impact last Saturday so that will help him.

"Andy [Johnson] is joining in with the senior squad and we've got matches, behind closed doors, organised for his benefit in the coming weeks. Hopefully he'll get through them okay and he'll be an option, albeit initially on the bench."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6405796,00.html?
Hughes' striker hope
Johnson and Kamara to press claims

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is optimistic that both Andy Johnson and Diomansy Kamara can give his squad a real boost in the coming weeks.

Hughes has been left desperately short of options following injuries to Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele in recent weeks, but now he hopes Johnson and Kamara can fill the gaps in the coming weeks.

Kamara has featured little this season but could soon get his chance under Hughes, whilst Johnson is closing on his return from injury.

"We've lost key personnel with Bobby and Moussa out, so these guys are going to have to get the job done," he said.

"I'm still getting to know them as a group of players. I have seen Diomansy from afar when I brought teams to Fulham in the past.

"He's had something like four or five training sessions and half a game, so I haven't really seen his qualities first hand yet."

Friendlies

Hughes confirmed that they have also set up friendlies geared towards Johnson building up his fitness.

"Andy is joining in with the senior squad and we've got matches - behind closed doors - organised for his benefit in the coming weeks.

"Hopefully, he'll get through them okay and he'll be an option, albeit initially on the bench."

There is good news for Hughes, though, in that Dembele is set to return from his injury within a matter of weeks.

"I would imagine after the international break he'll be fit and well," he added.

"He's been very lucky.

"I've been pleased with what Moussa's produced this season and to not have him available from a tackle so late in the game is frustrating, but we'll get him back as soon as possible."

WhiteJC

http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk:80/football/west-ham/dyer_is_fit_for_hammers_clash_with_fulham_1_658325?
Dyer is fit for Hammers clash with Fulham

WEST HAM midfielder Kieron Dyer is expected to start Saturday's home clash with Fulham after recovering from the illness that forced him off in the first half against Spurs.

The former England man (left), who has been a revelation in claret and blue this season after finally recovering from injury, was causing Tottenham all sorts of problems before feeling dizzy.

He was replaced by Pablo Barrera, who impressed in the second half as West Ham won 1-0 at Upton Park. But Dyer is expected to retain his place as Avram Grant looks to make it three wins in a row.

Herita Ilunga is battling for fitness, though Danny Gabbidon is expected to continue at left back, while Winston Reid has recovered from a bout of food poisoning and could win a place on the bench.

Grant has come through a lot of criticism before finally reaping some reward for his efforts, but for the Israeli, it is all in a day's work.

"I feel all the time under pressure," he admitted. "I don't want to be even one minute without pressure, I think that would do more damage than good things.

"I can control the pressure and I can direct it where I decide."

Grant also revealed that a bad start to the season, is something that seems to happen to him a lot.

"I have a way to deal with things and to focus the team, but if you look at my time in England in the last five years, always I have a tough August."

August and September are now over and Grant will be confident of another three points on Saturday in front of a near capacity crowd for a game that will be a 'kids for a quid match'.