https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season Summer Transfer Thread 2018/19

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 17, 2018, 05:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberty

Quote from: hovewhite on July 16, 2018, 02:22:50 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on July 16, 2018, 02:00:43 PM
The only reason Newcastle loan him out abroad is to protect themselves from strengthening us. Not saying its true or whatever but IF they did, it would be for that reason.
that's why until he's signed up he has all options open.
If they loan him out again he will have 12 months left on his contract - what will be be worth then?

Newcastle cannot afford to have him on their books on 10 August because they need the money for new players

Unless he is telling porkies to SJ - he's said he's not going anywhere else

Newcastle can negotiate with whoever they want, for loan or sale, but there is no way they can force him to sign for another club
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Roberty

@statto
After the play off final - I seem to remember SK saying that they were prepared to invest in new players and that they were looking to compete and not just make up the numbers (or words to that effect)

The Seri signing seems to indicate that they are not looking to bring in "squad players" and if we're truly linked to players like Malcom his potential investment would appear to be on course to break the FFP rules - which of course he can well afford.

I think the cost of doing that it a rap over the knuckles with a limp stick of rhubarb and a limited transfer ban

It seems to me that if he spends really BIG and acquires enough assets a ban will be meaningless because we will already have the players on our books and any gaps can still be plugged with loans.

Of course time will tell if this is the way things are going to go - but for me this is a sound strategy for someone who has already suffered the cost of our being demoted from the PL.

It's a strategy he can personally afford and the main risk is buying duds who turn out to have a lower resale value in the future.

Have I overlooked something or is breaking the FFP rules a damp squib for someone who opens his wallet and goes for broke

Roberty

Quote from: Statto on July 16, 2018, 03:13:43 PM
I fully agree with the strategy of spending aggressively to minimise the chances of getting relegated, rather than tightening the purse strings so that relegation, if it happens, isn't so devastating. As you know from our previous debates, IMO the chairman should be spending as much as FFP will let him, but I still don't think it's prudent to breach it.

I have been wondering how much being relegated was going to influence him and of course we're still to see

It might not be prudent to breach FFP rules - by a little - but doing it by a lot - would seem to be an attractive option - unless there are penalties to fit the crime

DevonFFC

@SkySportsLyall now reporting that there is no truth in the Fulham-Malcom stories. As you were.

#FFC #COYW

Ordar

Quote from: ollienixs on July 16, 2018, 03:34:42 PM
@SkySportsLyall now reporting that there is no truth in the Fulham-Malcom stories. As you were.

#FFC #COYW

That's disappointing....

Slaphead in Qatar

Sky saying we paid £18 for seri and £12 for le March. Bit high for le march?

Mince n Tatties

Getting a bit paranoid about the Mitro situation,could see him being knicked from us,think Roy fancies him at Palace as well.

Tabby

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on July 16, 2018, 03:53:13 PM
Sky saying we paid £18 for seri and £12 for le March. Bit high for le march?

Maybe there is a sell-on fee on Seri, so Nice wanted it structured it like that.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Ordar on July 16, 2018, 03:45:34 PM
Quote from: ollienixs on July 16, 2018, 03:34:42 PM

#FFC #COYW

That's disappointing....

Hes not always right though, generally find him a bit hit & miss

hovewhite

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 16, 2018, 03:53:35 PM
Getting a bit paranoid about the Mitro situation,could see him being knicked from us,think Roy fancies him at Palace as well.
for me the longer the mitro deal goes on without him signing it gets more and more suss!

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Statto on July 16, 2018, 03:13:43 PM
Quote from: Roberty on July 16, 2018, 03:00:34 PM
@statto
After the play off final - I seem to remember SK saying that they were prepared to invest in new players and that they were looking to compete and not just make up the numbers (or words to that effect)

The Seri signing seems to indicate that they are not looking to bring in "squad players" and if we're truly linked to players like Malcom his potential investment would appear to be on course to break the FFP rules - which of course he can well afford.

I think the cost of doing that it a rap over the knuckles with a limp stick of rhubarb and a limited transfer ban

It seems to me that if he spends really BIG and acquires enough assets a ban will be meaningless because we will already have the players on our books and any gaps can still be plugged with loans.

Of course time will tell if this is the way things are going to go - but for me this is a sound strategy for someone who has already suffered the cost of our being demoted from the PL.

It's a strategy he can personally afford and the main risk is buying duds who turn out to have a lower resale value in the future.

Have I overlooked something or is breaking the FFP rules a damp squib for someone who opens his wallet and goes for broke

As noted up the thread, if the spending limit is £105m then we're still a very long way off that, and I can't see us hitting it.

As for wages, FFP probably permits us to have about 25 players on £50k-£60k pw average. Before Seri, Marchand and the other players' pay rises triggered by promotion, we probably had about 15 players on £20k pw average. So again masses of room left to move.

I fully agree with the strategy of spending aggressively to minimise the chances of getting relegated, rather than tightening the purse strings so that relegation, if it happens, isn't so devastating. As you know from our previous debates, IMO the chairman should be spending as much as FFP will let him, but I still don't think it's prudent to breach it.

Since the topic has been brought up once again, I have a couple of questions I was hoping I could get answered here.

1) Since we've had our knuckles rapped by the EFL once already (season before last) would our punishment be more harsh if we were to break FFP rules once again? Or does our promotion reset things?

2) If we were to break FFP rules, would we be the first PL club to ever do so? I don't recall one being punished previously but, being the Fulham snob that I am, I stopped following the PL the moment Fulham were playing elsewhere....save for Liecester's astonishing run season before last.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: hovewhite on July 16, 2018, 04:27:42 PM
for me the longer the mitro deal goes on without him signing it gets more and more suss!

Some saying because he is on holiday, that wouldn't make any difference imo if he was on the verge of signing.

ToodlesMcToot

They wear the wrong colors.  049:gif

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 16, 2018, 04:33:21 PM
Quote from: hovewhite on July 16, 2018, 04:27:42 PM

Some saying because he is on holiday, that wouldn't make any difference imo if he was on the verge of signing.

If someone were to tell me that he's been back from holiday for more than a week and there's been no announcement, I'll worry. I think it makes a fair bit of sense that nothing official will happen until he returns. The club would want to take photos with the proper kit and all to sensationalize the success of their transfer window. I'll hold off getting too fixated on it for now.

filham

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 16, 2018, 04:11:36 AM
Mitrovic's return date is the 25th apparently, so I'm not going to hold my breath over it being done this week.
That sounds too much like Christmas day, some one having a laugh maybe.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Statto on July 16, 2018, 04:42:37 PM
Quote from: filham on July 16, 2018, 04:40:09 PM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 16, 2018, 04:11:36 AM
Mitrovic's return date is the 25th apparently, so I'm not going to hold my breath over it being done this week.
That sounds too much like Christmas day, some one having a laugh maybe.

If wheelerdealer has read that in the same article as me, it says that's how long Newcastle have let him have off because they don't see him as part of the squad next season. Apparently if they don't sign a replacement very soon, he could be called back to training before that date anyway. So if we're actually looking to sign him, there's no reason for him or us to put it off that long. After all, Newcastle could let him sit on his arse until christmas - does that mean we wouldn't sign him because he'd still technically be 'on holiday'?

I think 3 weeks is about standard for players who went to the World Cup (and played), and the 25th would be exactly three weeks from when Serbia went out so I'm assuming that's the reason why. That's not to say Mitrovic will unable to sign for us before then though, and he may want to dive straight into Pre-Season with us rather than hanging around the Newcastle Training Ground for a few days. 

hovewhite

Should get him signed or move on,or at least cover crouch would make a difference if not possible for him every game owing to age,then mitro if we sign him up regular starter crouch back up.

twang

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: twang on July 16, 2018, 05:54:21 PM
Roberto Jimenez, another goalkeeper, is being linked with us:

https://vozperica.com/el-fulham-ingles-estaria-interesado-en-roberto-segun-de-haro/

Would be more likely to happen in terms of availability than Fabri. He's behind Pau Lopez and Diego Lopez at Espanyol and was on loan last season. Did well at Olympiakos before he moved though. Would still rather Fabri over him.

HillingdonFFC

Pity Martinez from River Plate linked. Argentine left winger