Sunday Fulham Stuff (20/05/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 20, 2018, 07:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Wembley Wonderland
Come relive Fulham's magical night

Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

What. A. Monday. Night.

And most importantly. What a performance by the boys in white.

From start to finish, there was an anticipation in the crowd that was just palpable all game long. Not a single seat was empty and the old cottage on the corner of the stadium was packed to the brim as well. It was as if it was the 2010 Europa League run all over again, except it was the second round of a playoff tie in the second tier of English Football. Even so, it was safe to say that this was the most important fixture in recent club history. For if Fulham were to not pull this off, the near-term future for the club just looked grim.

But instead of dreading the worst, they came in full swing from kickoff. And it was not just Fulham shooting from wherever they felt like it just for the sake of padding stats. They were coming at Derby's back three with speed thanks to Ryan Fredericks and Aboubakar Kamara. The latter truly brought in a dimension to the starting XI that just didn't exist with Ayite in the fold. And most importantly, all three attacking players were working in tandem rather than individually. In the first leg, there was a sense that there was just too much distance between the players in need of being linked up. On Monday, Kamara (47), Mitrovic (32) and Ryan Sessegnon (3) were in concert and just pounded Derby's defense into submission.

Average positioning from fulhamfc.com. First Leg's average positioning is on the left while the Second Leg's average positioning is on the right.

Along with that, the spacing between the Ryan Fredericks (2), Kamara (47) and Cairney (10) triangle was so much better than the Fredericks-Ayite (11)-Cairney positioning in the first leg. Lastly, Stefan Johansen (8) was just way too close and behind Mitrovic in the first leg. In the second leg, Mitrovic provided space for StefJo to run and the attack became more balanced as a result.

Those results included 22 total shots, including 10 of them going towards goal. That being said, the crowd were genuinely scared after the first half that Scott Carson was going to pull off what Ali Al-Habsi did for Reading, but the truth was, Carson wasn't in the same league as 2017 Al-Habsi. The former Reading man was a two-time player of the year for his club. Carson hasn't won such an award since he was with Charlton back in 2007! That being said, Carson's overachievement this season (58 expected goals against vs. 47 actual ones) is quite similar to Al-Habsi's 2016/17 season (76 expected goals against vs. 64 actual ones).

However, the second half started with a roaring thunder like we have seen many times this season. First, Sessegnon was able to run onto a headed ball off of Johansen and roofed it past Carson from close range in the 47th minute and made it 1-0. Not only was there a sense of relief from the crowd, but there was a real sense that only one team deserved to go through to the Playoff final. It just needed one more goal to send this tie from needing extra time to deciding it all in 90 minutes. Surely enough, Sessegnon stepped to take a 66th minute corner and 5'10" Denis Odoi, not one of the tallest men on the pitch, but somehow is among the club leaders in aerial duels won (3.0 per 90 minutes) and used that prowess to guide the ball to the top corner and send the Cottage to euphoria.

Fulham 2! Derby County 0!

Now Derby was able to string a few attacking movements to close the game out, but with one shot on target and just 0.5 expected goals to show for it, their attack was never designed to be good enough. As mentioned before, manager Gary Rowett set up his side to be defensive minded in hopes of breaking Fulham on the counter in his 3-4-3 formation. It worked on Friday. It did not work at all on Monday and Derby's wing-backs just couldn't handle the pace to support a back three that, while experienced, just didn't have the pace and vibrancy to last the full two legs.

And when the final whistle sound, it was only fitting for the crowd to invade the pitch. It can only happen after a club is able to do something for the first time in 43 years. But instead of playing for an FA Cup with an aging Bobby Moore captaining the side, Fulham will now be hoping to return to the riches of English football.

Next Saturday will be part pageantry and part nervous breakdown. Over 70,000 are expected to turn out for what many consider a game that can be worth £170 million to £200 million in revenue generated for the winning team. That's literally how much of a difference there is between the finances in the Premier League to that of the Championship. The loser may waffle in misery as they face another season in a league they feel they are too good for. But what an opportunity it is to see if Fulham can be able to claim victory. And against an Aston Villa side that will also be hoping to bounce back up to the Premier League, it will be nothing short of a glorious occasion.

Boy, can this fixture not come any sooner!

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/5/19/17355738/wembley-wonderland

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon earned my trust, says Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic says teenage midfielder Ryan Sessegnon earned his trust during a pre-season friendly two years ago.

Sessegnon, 18, scored the equaliser at Craven Cottage on Monday night as Fulham overturned a first-leg deficit to beat Derby 2-1 on aggregate, securing their place in next week's Championship play-off final against Aston Villa at Wembley.

Jokanovic revealed how he was first impressed by the youngster's "special" ability when he was given a first-team run out in a pre-season friendly against Brighton.

He told the Daily Mail: "At first I'd brought him in to see what he could offer for the future. After one month he was doing fantastic. He scored a great goal against Brighton and that's when I knew I could trust him.

"Whether you're 16 and two months or 36, it's simple: he did a better job than others. I wanted to play him against Newcastle but I waited a week. When I put his name on the board, some players thought I'd made a mistake.

"But they were the ones who made the mistake of thinking about themselves. They hadn't noticed this quality. Now he has played more than 80 games. He is special.

"I'm not a father figure to him - he has great parents. I don't know if they shout at him at home but here he is intelligent, he understands what I tell him, he's a clever lad."

Sessegnon has scored 15 goals and provided six assists in 46 Championship appearances for Fulham this season.

He won both the Championship Player, and Young Player of the Season awards, on top of claiming the prize for Apprentice of the Year and being named in the Team of the Season and Club Developed XI.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11378240/ryan-sessegnon-earned-my-trust-says-fulham-boss-slavisa-jokanovic

WhiteJC

On Sale To Members
2017/18

Members can now purchase tickets for Fulham's Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Final against Aston Villa at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 26th May, 5pm.

This exclusive period will remain in place until 10am on Sunday 20th May, after which time remaining tickets will be made available to supporters with a Booking History. Fans can purchase up to five tickets each for this fixture.

Fulham supporters will be located in the East End of Wembley Stadium. Ticket prices for this match are listed below, which are divided into five pricing sections. Each category has a concession rate for 17-21 years, over 65s, and juniors aged 16 and under:

Category Adult 17-21 Years Over 65 / 16 and Under
1 £98 £73.50 £38
2 £76 £57 £49
3 £64 £48 £32
4 £52 £39 £26
5* £36 £27 £18
*Only available in Level 5 (top tier of Wembley Stadium)

How to Buy

By phone: via Ticketmaster on 0844 453 9063 (closes daily at 8pm Monday-Friday and 6pm on weekends)

Calls cost 7p per minute plus your telephone company's access charge.

Online: www.eticketing.co.uk/fulhamfc (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

In order to purchase tickets online, supporters will need to log in to their accounts.

Fans are reminded that tickets will not be available to purchase over the counter from the Fulham Ticket Office at Craven Cottage.

Supporters are advised that tickets located in Level 5 (top tier) will be sold last, and will only become available once Levels 1 & 2 have sold out. Tickets are sold from North to South, with all rows numbered low to high – i.e. Row 1 is nearest the pitch. All price categories will be sold on a first-come-first-served basis and are subject to availability.

Aside from wheelchair disabled tickets and coach travel, there will be no sales from the Fulham Ticket Office for this match.

Instead, all supporters must purchase tickets directly from Ticketmaster, who will be selling tickets for this match on behalf of the Club.

On-Sale Dates
Tickets for the Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Final will go on sale with exclusive priority windows, subject to availability, as follows:

10am, Wednesday 16th May - 2017/18 Season Ticket Holders – maximum 5 tickets per person
    10am, Thursday 17th May - 2018/19 Season Ticket Holders – maximum 5 tickets per person
    10am, Saturday 19th May – 2017/18 Members – maximum 5 tickets per person
    10am, Sunday 20th May - supporters with a previous Booking History – maximum 5 tickets per person

Family Area – There is a designated Family Area for Fulham supporters at Wembley Stadium, located in Blocks 105 to 108 – approx. 1,700 seats, price categories 3 and 4 - in the East End of the Stadium. Tickets in this area will be sold on a first-come-first-served basis, only to fans purchasing adult tickets with junior 16 years and under tickets.

Wheelchair Disabled Tickets - A number of Wheelchair and Personal Assistant tickets are available. These can be purchased directly from the Fulham Ticket Office phone line, and not from Ticketmaster. Supporters must call 0203 871 0810 (opt. 3) between Monday - Friday, 9am-5pm. The price charge to wheelchair patrons is equivalent to the relevant price for the area in which they're situated, with their personal assistants gaining access free of charge. Please note, proof of disability will need to be provided at the point of sale, if this has not previously been provided.

Ambulant Disabled Tickets – These can be purchased directly from Ticketmaster on 0333 003 5942 between Monday - Friday, 9am-5pm and Saturday – Sunday, 10am-2pm. Please note ambulant disabled tickets can only be purchased during the appropriate sales windows.

Coach Travel – A limited number of coaches will be available for supporters to purchase, departing from both Motspur Park and Craven Cottage. Prices will be £15 and £5 for adult and junior Season Ticket Holders respectively, and £18 and £8 for adult and junior non-Season Ticket Holders. Coach Travel can be purchased from the Fulham Ticket Office on 0203 871 0810 (opt. 3), between Monday - Friday, 9am-5pm.

Booking Fees - A £2.40 per ticket booking fee applies to all tickets, along with a £2.40 transaction fee per booking.

Postage – All tickets will be sent via First Class Post as standard, alternatively supporters can request Recorded Delivery at an additional charge.

No more than ten (10) tickets are permitted in any one transaction for supporters wishing to group tickets and be sat next to fellow Season Ticket Holders.

Important Information
Hospitality – Fans wishing to purchase Hospitality packages for Sky Bet Championship Final are required to buy directly from the Fulham FC Sales Team from 10am on Wednesday 16th May. Please note we only have a limited amount of packages available for this game, starting from £369 (inc VAT) per person. Supporters interested in purchasing can call 0203 871 0810 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm) (Opt.1) or email [email protected]

Ticketmaster Customer Service – once purchased, should supporters have any queries regarding the dispatch of tickets, fans can contact a dedicated Ticketmaster enquiry line on 0333 003 5935 (lines open Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm). Calls are charged at a local rate. Please note, you will not be able to purchase tickets from this number.

16 Years and Under – All children must be accompanied by a responsible adult.

Babies – Babies/babies in arms will be allowed entry but must have a valid ticket for themselves.

Client Reference Number – This is a unique digit number printed onto supporters' Season Ticket Cards or match tickets.

Parking – Parking for supporters and supporters' coaches can be purchased via www.wembleyofficialparking.com or 0208 903 6966. Coach parking is charged at £65.00 per coach and car parking is charged at £30.00 per car. Blue badge holders can purchase parking at a cost of £15 per space.

No Resale Of Tickets – It is an offence under Section 166 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, for any unauthorised person to sell tickets.

Fulham Football Club is carrying out the ticket selling instructions of Wembley Stadium and The EFL. All ticket sales are final and non-transferable/refundable. All sales are subject to the Football League and Wembley Stadium conditions of issue and ground regulations. Fans wishing to view the full terms and conditions of any EFL Conditions of Sale and Wembley National Stadium Limited (WNSL) Ground Regulations can find out more information by clicking here.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/may/19/play-off-tickets-members

WhiteJC

The day when a Derby County v Fulham clash was abandoned

Our Rams columnist looks back on a past meeting between Derby and Fulham at the Baseball Ground in 1983

That's it for another season. Rams owner Mel Morris does not face having to refund season ticket money to all the early-bird optimists. Derby County supporters will renew their hopes for free Premier League football in August, if the offer still stands.

We shall also have to get used to televised football without John Motson. His has been quite a record – 50 years with the BBC, 2,000 matches covered including 10 World Cups, 10 European Championships, 29 FA Cup finals and more than 200 England games. As someone said last week, all done with a sense of pride in the job rather than an entitlement to do it. He is, as us older ones like to say, one of nature's gentlemen. Oh, and his son, Frederick, is a Rams fan. What more could you want?

I have a special memory of Motty: he was the first person ever to give me their mobile phone number. So I thought I ought to buy one too. It felt like a house brick and the battery life was about 20 minutes.

I was thinking about Motty last Monday evening when the Sky commentator on the game at Craven Cottage suddenly came out with the "fact" that crowd trouble at the Baseball Ground in 1983 had "denied" Fulham a place in the top flight. Actually, as disgraceful as they were, the scenes that day couldn't be said to have denied Fulham anything. Motty wouldn't have made that mistake. No commentator or journalist ever prepared for a match more diligently. Hundreds – probably thousands – of facts were to hand. Almost all of them not used, but just in case ...

I had a privileged behind-the-scenes view that day 35 years ago this week. It was the final day of the 1982-83 season. Fulham needed victory at Derby to stand any chance of winning promotion to the First Division; Derby needed all the points to be sure of avoiding relegation to the Third.

Twenty minutes before kick-off, I walked around the pitch with Chief Superintendent Jack Watson. The mood was tense. At the start of the year, Derby, with only two wins, had been given up for dead. Then the returning Peter Taylor had overseen an astonishing 15-match unbeaten run before two defeats brought back memories of the season's darker days. Malcolm Macdonald's Fulham, meanwhile, had never been out of the top three until slipping up in the final month of the season.

There were 14 minutes remaining when Bobby Davison put Derby ahead with a brilliant goal. With 12 minutes to play, home fans began to climb over the fences. Then the fence gates were opened.

Within seconds, this vital football match became a farce. One touchline disappeared under thousands of feet. Twice a home supporter tripped a Fulham player.

Near the end – no fourth official holding up a board in those days – referee Ray Chadwick gave a long blast on his whistle. Several thousand spectators poured on to the pitch. Players and officials struggled to the sanctuary of the dressing rooms, although not before Fulham's Robert Wilson had been kicked by a spectator.

Then came news from the referee's room. He had whistled for offside. There were still 78 seconds to play. After about 15 minutes, however, it was obvious that it would be impossible to clear the pitch and play out the remaining time. Chadwick announced that he had abandoned the game.

That night I wrote a piece for The Guardian, relating these events. A few days after the piece appeared, Macdonald rang me. Fulham wanted the game replayed. Would I give evidence as a 'professional observer'? Other results that day had gone Derby's way and the Rams were safe anyway, so I said: "Yes."

I met the Fulham manager at the Royal Lancaster Hotel before we took a cab to a solicitor's office where I swore an affidavit. Then it was on to Lancaster Gate. Macdonald were clutching at straws. There was no way the game would be replayed.

As bad as it was, I don't think that Fulham were denied that day at Derby, despite what Sky Sports might say.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/day-derby-county-v-fulham-1583763

WhiteJC

Aston Villa stalwart provides opinion on play-off final

James Chester believes that Villa have the tools to disrupt Fulham's style.

The 29-year-old joined the club from West Brom in 2016. He has been a key member of the team since then with only three league games missed over the two seasons.

John Terry joined last summer and they have formed an intimidating partnership at the heart of the defence, which has nullified many attacks.

They were key against Middlesbrough in the play-off semi-finals, with Tony Pulis' side unable to score over two legs, meaning Mile Jedinak's header in the first leg was the difference.

Fulham will be much harder to contain, though, but they do have their own weaknesses.

This is what Chester had to say to AVTV about the upcoming match: "It'll be a fabulous occasion for our fans and ourselves to look forward to and hopefully we'll be celebrating come the end.

"They're very possession based but we've shown in the home games that if we can get about them then they can be beaten.

"There'll be a lot of hard work between now and the game. With our experience of big games and playing at Wembley hopefully it'll put us in good stead."

The Verdict

Villa's experience will be key if they are able to come away victorious because Fulham's style makes them a tough side to beat while also being entertaining as well.

This is likely to be a really defensive game for Villa with quick transitions and set pieces their main ways to grab a goal because Fulham will control possession and territory.

However, it's better to face the Cottagers in one match than over two legs because their dominance is more likely to tell in a longer period while mistakes will be magnified in this match.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/aston-villa-stalwart-provides-opinion-on-play-off-final/

WhiteJC

"Who is that old man?" - Jokanovic recalls his first meeting with Aston Villa's John Terry

Slavisa Jokanovic and John Terry played alongside one another for Chelsea

Aston Villa and Fulham will be led out at Wembley by two former Chelsea team-mates.

In the claret and blue corner, John Terry, and in the Whites' corner is Slavisa Jokanovic.

Villa's captain Terry was just a 19-year-old rookie making his way in the game when he first crossed paths with Jokanovic, not that Fulham's manager knew quite how inexperienced his team-mate at the time.

"I said to Mario Stanic, 'Who is that old man?' And Mario turned to me and said, 'No, he's only a kid, 19, very good player'.

"John had just returned to Chelsea from a loan spell at Nottingham Forest. To be fair, he doesn't look much different now but he had an old face."

Jokanovic's time at Stamford Bridge was short-lived and incredibly modest.

The Serbian played 39 times in the Premier League during a two-year stint at the club.

Terry, meanwhile, is a Chelsea Hall of Famer having captained his boyhood club to five Premier League titles, five FA Cups, a Champions League and many more major trophies during a 19-year professional career in west London.

Jokanovic's youthful Fulham side have excited the Championship this season with their intricate passing and expansive style of football.

They head into the Championship play-off final on May 26 as favourites having finished the season five points ahead of Steve Bruce's Villa.

But one advantage Villa do have is the experience and knowhow the likes of Terry have on the big stage.

Every member of Villa's first choice starting XI – the team which played the first leg of the semi-final versus Middlesbrough – has tasted Wembley before while Fulham's players are complete novices.

That has left Jokanovic wondering whether his players will choke on the big stage. One thing's for sure, though, Terry won't.

"Chelsea had World Cup champions Frank Leboeuf and Marcel Desailly but within two years this guy was being voted (Premier League) player of the year," Jokanovic says. "He was young, he would kick you, he had streetwise dirty tricks but he could play.

"Everyone knew he was going to be good but sometimes he'd attract trouble and get in the papers. One time, before we played Norwich, he was arrested and he came from the cells to play. I'd say to him, 'John, if you like I'll go for a beer with you because nobody knows who I am — but they will when we get our picture taken.

"When my boys go out at Wembley who knows what they may feel, but to John it will be just another game. He'll be cool."

You can read the Daily Mail's full interview with Jokanovic here.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-john-terry-jokanovic-14680651

WhiteJC

Roy Hodgson hails Fulham boss Jokanovic's role in nurturing youngsters at Craven Cottage

The former boss has been impressed with the style of football that Fulham have played to get to the play-off final this season

Former Fulham boss Roy Hodgson has hailed the job that Slavisa Jokanovic has done at the club in nurturing youngsters at the club and getting the side to play football.

The Crystal Palace manager was at Craven Cottage for the 2-0 victory over Derby County in the play-off semi final second leg and was impressed with the way the side used pace down the flanks, notably Ryan Sessegnon and Ryan Fredericks' impact on the game.

He was also impressed with Newcastle loanee Aleksandar Mitrovic's impact on proceedings, comparing his performance to Alan Shearer and claiming it was 'the best display of target play' he'd seen for a long time.

And ahead of the play-off final next Saturday, Hodgson reckons it will be a contrast of two sides when Fulham take on Aston Villa at Wembley.

He said: "I think they are the two clubs that deserve to be there, for different reasons.

"Jokanovic has done such a fantastic job in nurturing these youngsters, and nurturing the style of play, which is quite a bold, brave style of play in some ways.

"We are used to be being told that you can't play your way out of that league and you have to play simplistic football to get out of it, but Fulham have shown that is simply not true, because they are right up there.

"Aston Villa have done it more through experience, with Steve Bruce, and watching the team the other day, they have a few players in their 30s with a lot of matches behind them.

(Image: Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

"I think it will be a fantastic contest, and it is nice that it is the third and fourth team trying to get that one place, rather than a fifth or sixth placed team. There is something in me that it rails against to see a team in sixth place getting promoted, when the team in third doesn't.

"As for the excitement, I understand that and I think it will be an interesting contrast of styles. I was at that game at Craven Cottage when they met in the league, and Aston Villa won't be easy to break down, but they will certainly have their work cut out dealing with the style of play from Fulham, not least the pace with which they attack coming from the wings with Sessegnon and Fredericks; that takes some dealing with.

"And also they have Mitrovic, who probably produced the best display of target play I have seen for a long while the other night, using his body well to hold the ball up and either turn the defender, or bring others into the play – a bit like Alan Shearer really."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/roy-hodgson-hails-fulham-boss-14679150

WhiteJC

Jack Grealish special report: Why Aston Villa must beat Fulham with all eyes on one of their own

Aston Villa midfielder Grealish is said to be on Leicester City's radar ahead of the summer transfer window

Jack Grealish's Aston Villa future has been the subject of speculation leading up to the summer transfer window after his fine form during the second half of the season.

Villa are likely to be braced for offers ahead of the next season, especially if they fail to secure promotion to the Premier League.

The local lad joined Villa at the age of six and made his senior debut for his boyhood club in May 2014.

Four years on and he's already racked up over 100 appearances. But how likely is he to add another century of games in claret and blue?

We've taken a closer look.
Who wants to sign him?

Grealish is reportedly on Leicester City's wanted list with the Foxes looking to line-up a £20 million bid, according to the national press.

Reports claim that the King Power Stadium club will move for Grealish if Villa fail to secure promotion to the Premier League.

Several other Premier League clubs have sent scouts to watch him throughout the season.

Grealish has come of age this season. He has made a major contribution to Villa's play-off push and the claret and blue faithful appreciate that, carrying him shoulder high during the semi-final pitch invasion.

He has sparkled at Wembley before and all eyes will be on Super Jack during the final against Fulham, many of them envious ones from Premier League suitors.

How likely is his departure?

Grealish will look to remain at Villa Park this summer - regardless of which division the club finds itself in.

He isn't particularly interested in leaving anytime soon, but - and it's a big but - he and his representatives know he must be showcasing his skills in the Premier League soon.

The Villa fan has enjoyed regular game time this season and a period of consistency as regards to management has allowed him to flourish.

Villa's league status next term still remains in the balance, but the top flight is within touching distance.

The Sunday People, though, are reporting that a decision on his future based on league status isn't coming into Grealish's thinking.

Whether that changes if Villa do miss out on promotion remains to be seen. Grealish is good enough and ambitious enough to want Premier League football and he will have an eye on being an England regular by the time Euro 2020 ticks around.

Villa, meanwhile, may not be able to resist a major bid for him if they have to take the hit of a longer stay in the Championship.

How long is left on his contract?

The 22-year-old still has two years to run on the contract he signed in September 2016 and there have been mentions of a new deal this summer.
What has Bruce said?

The Villa boss, speaking last week, said: "I saw Leicester for £20m. That money now gets you a Harry Maguire, who played 30 times for Hull.

"Sam Clucas was £20m. No disrespect to them - I have had them - but how you can have Jack at that price?

"Jordan Henderson was £19m when I sold him to Liverpool from Sunderland eight years ago.

"You would have to double that to think about even blinking. Reports are going to be reports.

"I am going to have it all summer, I would think. I am delighted Jack is getting recognition for what he is doing on the pitch.

"But I think I can safely say £20m would not buy his right leg at the moment, that is for sure.

"We are Aston Villa and he is an Aston Villa fan but of course he wants to play in the big league, everyone does, so if we can get there for all the players, that's where we all want to be.

"Jack could play in any team, he has that natural balance, the one thing he has to do is focus on what he does best on pitch.

"When he does that he is as good a talent as I have had over my management years. He still has to knuckle down but there is no question in the last 3-4 months in particular he has done fantastically well.

"I think Jack has benefited from a manager he has had for more than three months, a change in philosophy at the club, so he just has to keep on playing. He will improve. He is 22.

"We are talking about a really young player who has been on the scene three, four years."

What has Grealish said?

Grealish is happy at his boyhood club and only has one thing on his mind.

Grealish said: "I think I've had a bit of a stop-start career. I came onto the scene quite early and then I paused for a bit.

"I had a nasty injury at the start of the season and it kind of put stuff into perspective. Not playing football for six months was a big blow.

"I've come back and I'm doing quite well at the moment.

"I've got the perfect manager, the perfect staff and the perfect team to play with. Hopefully we can get promoted."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jack-grealish-aston-villa-transfer-14565380

WhiteJC

Matt Targett saw the rise of Gareth Bale at Southampton... and now he has a front row seat for Ryan Sessegnon

Southampton left-back Matt Targett has been on-loan at Fulham since January
    Targett witnessed the rise of Gareth Bale while in the Southampton youth team
    He now plays with Ryan Sessegnon, who he believes can go all the way to the top

Matt Targett was a wide-eyed kid when he met Gareth Bale while on mascot duty at his boyhood club Southampton.

He then watched on from the youth team as the Welshman emerged as one of the best teenage left-backs in the country, earning a move to Premier League Tottenham at just 17.

Now Saints defender Targett, who was sent out on loan to Fulham in January, has a close up of another teen starlet who is dazzling down the left, drawing comparisons with Bale at every turn.

Matt Targett witnessed the emergence of Gareth Bale at Southampton when in the youth team

Ryan Sessegnon, who turned 18 on Friday, has been an integral part of Fulham's surge to Saturday's Championship play-off final but it has been suggested that the Wembley clash with Aston Villa could be his final game for the club.

Now 11 years on from their raid for Bale, it is Tottenham who appear most likely to complete the signing of arguably English football's hottest prospect this summer.

Sessegnon has scored 16 goals in 48 Championship outings this term but his cause has been helped by the January arrival of Targett, who has slotted in at left-back and allowed the youngster to flourish further forward.

'Do I deserve all the credit for his form? You could say that,' Targett joked. 'He got pushed further forward once I turned up.

'He's obviously an incredible young player. He has a huge amount of ability and who knows what will happen with him, but for me he's going to the top.

'He is quiet but he's a very good guy. He gets his head down and works really hard. But I still beat him at FIFA.'

Targett now plays behind winger Ryan Sessegnon who he believes can go all the way to top

On comparison with Bale, the 22-year-old added: 'I was Under-9s or Under-10s when he was there. I met him once, I was a mascot for Southampton so I went into the changing rooms and met all the players. I was star-struck.

'Obviously, Sessegnon has been pushed on from left-back but Gareth developed loads in terms of physicality. He gained so much pace out of nowhere.

'Ryan is quick, but not as quick as Gareth yet. But who knows, Ryan is still young and he could develop like that.'

Targett is expected to start at Wembley, in a match billed as the richest game in football, with both Fulham and Aston Villa desperate to climb back aboard the Premier League gravy train.

But the England Under-21 international is just keen to draw a line under his only other experience of the National Stadium, when he was hooked after 77 minutes in the 5-2 defeat against Spurs on Boxing Day.

Targett admits he doesn't have great memories of Wembley after rout vs Spurs before loan

He said: 'It is not great memories to be honest. We got battered with Harry Kane scoring a hat-trick. It wasn't a great day.

'I got brought off after about 70 minutes and I think that was my last game for Southampton - maybe I was that bad that they wanted me out!

'It was a good experience playing there and it will be nice playing there again, hopefully we get a better result than I did last time. I won't have any nerves, I'm confident in my ability and I'm looking forward to it.'

With four years left on his Southampton contract, it looks unlikely that Targett will be back at Fulham after his current loan, but victory will at least ensure a return to Craven Cottage in the Premier League.

'After the play-offs, I'll have holiday and then back to Southampton at the end of June,' he added.

'Now I'm just focusing on the final and hopefully getting Fulham to the Prem. Who knows, I could be playing against Fulham next year.

'But hopefully I can go out on a high.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5749315/Targett-saw-rise-Gareth-Bale-row-seat-Ryan-Sessegnon.html#ixzz5G1XK7MrG
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham ace delivers honest verdict on Championship season

Tim Ream has been in fine form for the Cottagers this season.

The American international has played a key role for Fulham this season as part of a strong centre-back duo with Denis Odoi.

He only missed two league games this season, with his role in the team gradually increasing ever since he joined from Bolton Wanderers back in 2015.

The 30-year-old has been a top performer, with his passing accuracy and range just as his important as his defensive contributions. However, the most important game of the entire season against Aston Villa awaits him and the team.

Here's what Ream had to say about his season so far to NBC Soccer: "I've played 46 games now, and the performances and form that I've been on – not just from the start of the undefeated run, but going back to the beginning of the year.

"I don't think there's anybody that can question the level that I've been playing at and question whether it's the best in my career, because it is without a doubt.

"The Sunderland result when we lost at their place in December was a real eye opener for us. They hadn't won at home in over a year and we go there and lose 1-0. If I had to point to anything, that was the catalyst for the turnaround because we were so embarrassed and so angry at ourselves because we knew we were a better squad than we were showing."

The Verdict

Fulham were unlucky not to finish in an automatic promotion spot, and their style of play deserves to be in the Premier League. However, they only have themselves to blame because they started the season slowly and then were unable to overcome the last hurdle, which was Birmingham.

Ream will be key in ensuring Fulham force their style on Villa, so him and Odoi will have to hold a high line, as they usually do, and they can't afford to make mistakes on such a large pitch due to the space the Villa attackers will be able to exploit.

The Cottagers need to be brave in this match because their possession based philosophy has got them so far and they can't turn back on it now.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-ace-delivers-honest-verdict-on-championship-season/

WhiteJC

'Everyone knew he was going to be good': Fulham's Slavisa Jokanovic ready to face ex-Chelsea team-mate John Terry in play-off final... as he jokes Robert De Niro could play him in a film

Slavisa Jokanovic played with John Terry for Chelsea between 2000 and 2002
    Jokanovic is determined to guide Fulham to promotion via the play-offs
    The Fulham boss wants to keep hold of Ryan Sessegnon and Tom Cairney
    Jokanovic delighted Fulham are back at Wembley for the first time in 43 years

Slavisa Jokanovic is chuckling as he recalls his first impression of a teenage John Terry at Chelsea.

'I said to Mario Stanic, "Who is that old man?" And Mario turned to me and said, 'No, he's only a kid, 19, very good player.'

'John had just returned to Chelsea from a loan spell at Nottingham Forest. To be fair, he doesn't look much different now but he had an old face.'

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic is aiming to guide his side to glory in the play-off final

Jokanovic played for Chelsea between 2000 and 2002 after moving from Spanish football

Jokanovic, who was at Chelsea from 2000 until 2002, will see his former team-mate in football's richest game next weekend as his Fulham side face Aston Villa in the Championship play-off final.

'Chelsea had World Cup champions Frank Leboeuf and Marcel Desailly but within two years this guy was being voted (Premier League) player of the year,' he says. 'He was young, he would kick you, he had streetwise dirty tricks but he could play.

'Everyone knew he was going to be good but sometimes he'd attract trouble and get in the papers. One time, before we played Norwich, he was arrested and he came from the cells to play. I'd say to him, 'John, if you like I'll go for a beer with you because nobody knows who I am — but they will when we get our picture taken.'

Jokanovic first managerial job in England was at Watford during the 2014-15 campaign

The 49-year-old has been mentioned as a possible replacement for Chelsea's Antonio Conte

'When my boys go out at Wembley who knows what they may feel, but to John it will be just another game. He'll be cool.'

When it comes to being cool, this suave 49-year-old Serbian could be straight from the pages of a John le Carre spy novel.

He won promotion to the Premier League as manager of Watford three years ago and has taken Fulham within touching distance of the same achievement. It is fair to say everyone knows who Slavisa Jokanovic is now.

Indeed a return to Stamford Bridge has already been touted, as Antonio Conte's replacement.

'When I arrived at Watford, people couldn't even say my name,' he says. 'But I took time to listen to the English ways.'

In the chaos that followed Fulham's play-off semi-final win over Derby County, this calm, dapper figure cut a swathe through the maelstrom that enveloped Craven Cottage. Jokanovic shrugged aside the plaudits of fans on the pitch to commiserate with Gary Rowett.

A defensive midfielder, Jokanovic made 45 appearances for Chelsea near the end of his career

'We are all actors, the way we dance around the touchline, shouting and waving hands but it's important to have respect and be respected,' he says.

As the sun pushes through the windows of his office at Fulham's Motspur Park training ground, Jokanovic twirls the end of his moustache and paws at his beard, pondering his arrival in English football. His voice has a slight rasp as he converses in his thick, Eastern European drawl.

'When I first played for Chelsea against Liverpool, I'd come from eight years in Spain. I wanted to play two-touch football but if I couldn't find an option in front of me I passed it back. The crowd didn't like it.

'Ray Wilkins, who was a fantastic man with great experience as a coach, said, "Slavisa, I know what you're trying to do but if you can't go forward, don't play so much two touch, don't even play one touch... just play half a touch! Kick the ball forwards and don't complicate your life."

'In the end, I just went "f*** off" and hoofed it forwards too. This was my first experience in England. It was faster. I wasn't satisfied it was how I wanted to play but my legs were completely dead at the end. You have to adapt.

'It's not easy for people from outside England. Now I think people recognise that I have learned good ways.'

The lesson served him well.

In November, the situation at Fulham did not seem so straightforward. The club had just sacked data analyst Craig Kline, who called police to the club in a rage, they were 17th in the Championship and fans were questioning if things could get any worse.

Unruffled, Jokanovic refused to panic. 'It was a tough moment for us. The key? A key is for a car, to switch on. In football you have to take little steps. If I knew then where we would be in May, I wouldn't be a manager, I'd be in the betting shop instead.'

Those little steps saw the recruitment process change for the better. The team began to gel, fighting characters emerged and the additions of Matt Targett, Cyrus Christie and Aleksandar Mitrovic gave them balance plus a cutting edge.

The extremely talented Ryan Sessegnon continues to be linked with a move away from Fulham

A 23-game unbeaten run came next, with playmaker Tom Cairney and coveted teenager Ryan Sessegnon leading the charge.

Sessegnon, who turned 18 on Friday, is rated at £50million by the club. Jokanovic provided his debut after the teenager impressed in a pre-season friendly against Brighton two years ago.

He said: 'At first I'd brought him in to see what he could offer for the future. After one month he was doing fantastic. He scored a great goal against Brighton and that's when I knew I could trust him.

'Whether you're 16 and two months or 36, it's simple: he did a better job than others. I wanted to play him against Newcastle but I waited a week. When I put his name on the board, some players thought I'd made a mistake. But they were the ones who made the mistake of thinking about themselves. They hadn't noticed this quality. Now he has played more than 80 games. He is special.

'I'm not a father figure to him — he has great parents. I don't know if they shout at him at home but here he is intelligent, he understands what I tell him, he's a clever lad.'

Tottenham have tried to sign Sessegnon and will try again. Likewise, Cairney is not short of top-flight suitors.

Jokanovic insists that Tom Cairney, who is wanted by several clubs, is important to Fulham

'Cairney is important to us, we missed him early in the season with injury. He's never scared,' growls Jokanovic. 'I say it's better for them to stay with me. Fight with me. I can make them better, they'll play and we will have greater quality.'

It is difficult to disagree. Jokanovic talks, not quite with menace, but a no-frills honesty. 'People think I'm scary but I'm not... not really.'

He is sharp, fluent in three languages and cultured. After all, this a man whose music tastes include The Cure and The Cult, he lists Sergio Leone's gangster epic Once Upon a Time in America as his favourite film — 'Yes, Robert de Niro could play me' — and is partial to the theatre and watching tennis with the odd Pimm's at nearby Wimbledon.

Friends say he is a typical native of home city Novi Sad, the 'Serbian Athens' on the banks of the Danube, where Jokanovic first honed his skills playing on the streets for eight hours a day. His father, a driving instructor, did not really encourage his football, so Jokanovic was a late developer.

He did not take the game seriously until he was 14 and was even scolded by his local club for preferring to play on the streets with friends rather than attend first-team matches.

Today he is not so easily distracted. His wife and three children — Stasa, Sara and son Marko — live at the family home, in Madrid, furthering their education. Though they will venture to London for next Saturday's game, their absence allows him to focus on the task ahead.

Jokanovic is delighted that Fulham are back at Wembley for the first time in 43 years

Wembley and its reverence as English football's home is a moot point considering Fulham owner Shahid Khan's vested interest in the venue, but it is clear it is a ground Jokanovic holds in great regard 'like the Maracana or the Bernabeu'. This will be his first competitive experience there.

It is also the first time Fulham have returned to Wembley since Alan Mullery and Bobby Moore led them in the 1975 FA Cup final. They lost 2-0 to West Ham but a repeat is not on Jokanovic's agenda.

'It's a great occasion. Being the first Fulham side back there in 43 years is special and a nice statistic but the job is not done until we are in the Premier League. The win over Derby will mean nothing. It's not enough just to be there and say this is a nice place. We go to win. I will never give up and never surrender. We are close to the land of opportunity and our ambition must be to make it.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5746485/Fulham-boss-Jokanovic-ready-former-Chelsea-team-mate-Terry-Championship-play-final.html#ixzz5G1eGfEYJ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Pud

Enjoyed that piece on the gaffer  :54: