https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (29/08/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 29, 2010, 07:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214990
Fulham - Johnson Comeback Draws Nearer!
The rehabilitation programme designed to get Andrew Johnson back into the first team fold continues in earnest.

The striker, who has been out since January, will play in two specially arranged behind-closed-doors friendly matches with Mark Hughes telling the official site,

'Andy [Johnson] is joining in with the senior squad and we've got matches, behind closed doors, organised for his benefit in the coming weeks.'

'Hopefully he'll get through them okay and he'll be an option, albeit initially on the bench.'

With our striking options currently restricted, never has a comeback been so eagerly anticipated.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214990#ixzz10tlH1srm

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6406024,00.html?
Riise going nowhere - agent
Norway midfielder not going out on loan claims agent

Fulham midfielder Bjorn Helge Riise will not be sent out on loan, according to his agent Tore Pedersen.

The 27-year-old Norway international has yet to play for the Cottagers this season and was reportedly unsure where he stood under new manager Mark Hughes.

Speculation mounted that a short-term move away from West London may have been on the cards, but following a discussion with the club, Riise's agent says he will be staying put.

"We have been in contact with Fulham, and been told that Bjorn Helge will not be loaned out," Pedersen told Nettavisen.

"The feedback was that they are delighted with him, and his chance will come.

"They were crystal clear that he is not going to be loaned out. Instead, they praised his attitude and effort in training."

Riise, younger brother of former Liverpool full-back John Arne, has been at Craven Cottage for one year after arriving from Lillestrom last summer.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214991
Fulham - Schwarzer to Make Long Trip!
International fever hits us again shortly!

After recovering from injury, our goalkeeper, Mark Schwarzer, has, as you`d expect, been selected by the Australian coach - Holger Osieck, to represent the Australian side in their forthcoming match with Paraguay on October 9th, in Sydney.

It`ll be a long, long, round trip for Mark and it could become an opportunity for David Stockdale to see some more first team action if Mark Hughes decides that is the apt thing to do considering jet-lag, fatigue and all that jazz.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=214991#ixzz10tltJ6un

WhiteJC

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_4547_club-focus-â€Â"-fulham-â€Â"-attack-out-of-focus-could-david-elm-be-the-answer.html?
Club Focus – Fulham – Attack out of focus, could David Elm be the answer?

With just one recognised striker from 22 players on the field in Saturday's fixture at Craven Cottage, there was little surprise the match ended goalless. Mark Hughes' more direct, attacking style of play was once again evident, but without Bobby Zamora's ability to pull balls out of the air or Moussa Dembele's talent at taking balls into his feet towards the opposition goal, the Whites were, as was feared after Dembele's injury, sorely lacking up front.

Zoltan Gera, for all his industry and enthusiasm, needs a target man to play off, and Clint Dempsey, despite his ability to adapt to a number of positions, is not that man. So, ultimately, the Dempsey-Gera partnership failed to produce the goods. Dempsey spent much of the game on the floor under challenges that Zamora would stand up to, and in doing so highlighted the lack of a striker who can play with his back to goal. Gera - the perfect partner for Zamora in the Europa League last season - could do nothing with the scraps the Everton defence provided him with as they successfully dealt with his striker partner. As a result, Fulham ended up with little of the possession, and even less in the way of clear-cut chances, as the forwards' inability to keep the ball at their feet or bring it down ended attacks before they had got going.

Hughes' willingness to change things that are npt working has been a positive factor in this early stage of the season. He was not afraid to replace John Pantsil at half-time after the Ghanaian was run ragged by Wolves, and on Saturday, despite Gera being one of the better players in the first half, recognised the need to alter things up front. He again brought on Eddie Johnson, who was effective at first, but was successfully marshalled by the Everton defence as the half wore on. Johnson undeniably brings another dimension to the Fulham attack - the natural pace he possesses forces defenders to play deeper, thus creating more space for the midfield to operate. Initially he caused some worry, but raw pace was not the answer to the Whites' attacking problems at the weekend, as Johnson is also not in the mould of Zamora - he too is often unable to hold the ball and create chances, and instead relies on the support of a stronger partner. So, as Dempsey and Johnson between them struggled to carve out openings for each other, a player who might well have made all the difference was forced to watch from the stands.

There are, of course, no players in the squad who are capable of fulfilling exactly the role Zamora plays, indeed there are few in the league better at what he does. But if it is a big man, who is strong in the air and has the ability to shield the ball from defenders who is required at this current time, then Hughes could do a lot worse than try his final remaining option - David Elm. Very much a peripheral figure in his time at the club, he has, in this writer's opinion, shown enough in his few appearances for the Whites to suggest he could do a decent enough job in the Zamora role, at least until the goal-scoring threat of Dembele is back in action. The Swede performed well in one of his only starts last season against Burnley – setting up one for Danny Murphy and tapping in the second himself. It is exactly that kind of player - unselfish and strong - that Fulham were very much in need of on Saturday. The difference could well have been one flick-on to any one of Gera, Dempsey or Diomansy Kamara - all capable finishers - that made the difference between one or three points.

In truth, it was a point gained against the Toffees as, while the majority of outfield players did little to impress, Mark Schwarzer appeared back to his best after a somewhat shaky start. Recently Schwarzer has crumbled under the pressure of balls being lumped into the box and challenged for, but on Saturday his command of his defence and shot-stopping ability were back to their best. Claims from some quarters that his head has been turned by Arsenal's summer pursuit will have died down somewhat after the Australian's performance at the weekend, as he twice saved brilliantly to win his side a point.

The big decisions for Hughes, however, remain in the forward department, as he looks to reignite his side's attacking threat.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/eddie-johnson-only-ever-wanted-fulham-stay-1146391?
Eddie Johnson only ever wanted Fulham stay

USA striker Eddie Johnson says his priority was always to stay with Fulham.

Johnson spent part of last season on-loan in Greece with Aris.

He told fulhamfc.com: "Fulham's a very good Club and a family orientated Club. When you go out on loan like I did, and you're away from the Team, you may not be there physically but your spirit is always with the Club."

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/johnson-happy-new-chance-under-fulham-boss-hughes-1146361?
Johnson happy with new chance under Fulham boss Hughes

Eddie Johnson is hoping for a fresh start under new Fulham boss Mark Hughes.

The USA striker tasted action in their 0-0 draw with Everton.

"I'm delighted to be getting my chance," Johnson told fulhamfc.com. "Mark Hughes has come in for Roy Hodgson, who did a really good job at the Club, and has really given me a chance to get my name back out there and show the fans and the Club my worth.

"I worked hard in pre-season to impress the Manager and I've been carrying that through on a day-to-day basis. With the injuries that have happened, to guys that are friends of mine on the Team, I've been given a chance.

"I want to keep building up the minutes out there. This is the best League in the world that gets the most coverage and exposure so players always come and go. It's a League where if you don't take your chance you will be replaced in a couple of months.

"I've always had faith in my ability and I knew that when Mark Hughes came in as Manager it would be a fresh start for everyone. Even before the injuries I was always in the 20 players selected so I kept my head down and just kept working hard."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/ClintQA.aspx
On The Spot

Clint, are you a fan of wrestling and in particularly John Cena? I've seen you celebrate using the same trademarks he uses!?

It's in reference to 'you can't see me'. I wasn't doing it because the wrestlers were doing it, just 'you can't see me' because I scored.

I did grow up watching wrestling with Hulk Hogan and those guys. I'm not really in to it as much as I was when I was a kid.

Every now and then when you flick through the channels you see what's going on but my celebration wasn't a reference to John Cena.

Clint, who is the best player you have played against in the Premier League?

That's a tough one – I don't know in the Premier League. I would say the best player I've ever played against was Zidane.

I played against him when he was at Real Madrid and I was in the MLS.

What is it like to score at the World Cup Finals? Is it a better sensation than scoring in the Premier League?

Yes. There is so much build up to a World Cup Finals. With the qualifying, the fact that it only comes around every four years and then you have just three games to get the job done and advance out of the group.

Every goal is so crucial and to score for your country in such an important game – I don't think there's a better feeling that that.

A World Cup goal is comparable to scoring a winning goal in a Premier League game to help your team win. That's a similar feeling.

Clint, what do you feel is your favourite match you've played since joining Fulham?

I'd have to say the most memorable was the match we played against Liverpool at home when I scored to get the points that helped keep Fulham up.

There are quite a few fellow Americans playing in the Premier League now. Who do you like to play against and who would you most like to see make a permanent move from MLS in the States?

It's good to play against any American in the Premier League. They've worked hard to get where they are and play in one of the best leagues in the world.

Any time you get to see someone you've played international football with is always a good time. It's cool to play against someone who has worked as hard as you have to get where you are.

I couldn't say who would be the next to come over because I haven't been following the MLS that much so I can't really say.

Clint, out of all the Fulham players, who would win a Fifa tournament on the XBox/PS3?

I don't play much. I used to play more before I had a kid and now I have another one on the way.

I would say some of the Reserve boys are good and Danny the kitman is good. They have a set up in the kitroom where they get some games going.

In terms of the First Team boys I know Bobby plays and maybe AJ and Duff. You hear them talking about it.

What is your favourite part of living in London/England?

My favourite part is playing in the Premier League. That's the reason we are here but besides that I would say getting a chance to learn about a different culture and get outside of your comfort zone.

If you spend your whole life in the States, to try and live somewhere else, you learn more about the world and that there is more out there. There's a different way of looking at things than just the way you do in the States.

Clint, if you could sign ANY two players for Fulham, who would they be?

I'd sign Messi and Diego Forlan because he got the MVP at the World Cup.

How did it feel to score for the USA vs England?

It's good to score against anyone at the World Cup. To score the goal that got us a draw and a point we needed was special for me.

There was so much build up to the game between USA and England; it was good to step up to the occasion.

Even though it wasn't the greatest goal they all count the same and it helped us get the points needed to progress to the next round.

Clint, when will you be releasing another song? 'Don't Tread' is surprisingly good and I wouldn't mind hearing more!

No, I don't really see myself doing any music in the future. I was doing it as a hobby back in the States. I got the opportunity to do a track and it was something I'd always wanted to do but I was never trying to make it in the industry as a rapper.

I got the opportunity to work with an artist I looked up to from Texas, Big Hawk. The sad thing is shortly after we did the video, he was killed, so I think that had something to do with me pushing away from music.

I was trying to focus on football and a family not the whole music scene.

Clint, out of all the players at FFC which would be the best in a skills contest?

The best in a skills contest – KG's got some cool skills. Yeah, I'd say KG – he's pretty skillful.

What would you rather win - the World cup with the USA, Champions League with Fulham or the Premier league with Fulham?

I'd rather win the World Cup with the USA because it only comes around every four years and it's the pinnacle.

Why were you sporting a black eye in the match against Juventus?

It seems like I always have a black eye! I think we played United before the Juventus game and when I went to head the ball my eye hit Vidic's head - that gave me a black eye.

Clint, what was the most emotional match in your life so far?

That's a good one. Pretty much all the ones we had In the World Cup were pretty emotional because we conceded first in every game.

Even though we only played four games it felt like we'd played half a season because every game was a must win, in every game we conceded first, even in the last game we ended up losing to Ghana.

All those games were the most emotional because there is so much pressure on you to perform and you have to step up to the plate. Not every player is guaranteed that they'll play in that many World Cups and that was my second one.

As my second World Cup there was a lot more pressure on me to do well as more of a veteran. For sure they were the most emotional games.

Was the World Cup draining and how did you recover ahead of the new season?

It was tough because to go out the way we did in overtime and concede the goals we did was definitely frustrating.

Also, I found out on the day of the game that my grandfather had passed away so after the game, the next day, I flew back. Everything happens for a reason and I was able to make his funeral.

Then, before I came back for the new season, my Dad had to be rushed to the emergency room in the hospital because he had a pulmonary embolism, which is a blood clot on the lung. If we hadn't of caught that in time it could have potentially been fatal.

Everything is fine now but it was definitely a tough summer and that's why I got back a little bit late, because I was making sure my Dad was okay before I came back.

What do you do to relax on your days off?

I play with my daughter a lot. She's getting older now so we go outside a lot for long walks in the park. We just try to be outside and that's kind of what I do on my days off.

What do you like to watch on the box? Are you a fan of cooking programmes, a TV series or do you watch sport?

My guilty pleasure is watching Jersey Shore! We download them off iTunes and that show is hilarious.

We're getting them in advance every Thursday and we can't wait to watch them. We watch them on the laptop and then there's X Factor.

My wife got me in to X Factor and it's cool to see people come from nothing and try to make something of themselves. Or people who have worked really hard all their life on their craft trying to progress.

For away matches my wife will record the show and we'll watch it together and they have ones on Sunday too. They're the two shows my wife and I look forward to watching.

You travel a lot – do you collect air miles? If so, where is your favourite holiday destination to use those air miles?

I try to collect air miles but most of the time I use them to help pay for flights for other members of my family to visit wherever I am.

I don't really go on vacations to be honest. Every summer I probably get 21 days off so I know I'm going to spend 10 days in Texas and 10 days in North Carolina.

My family is from Texas but my wife and I have a place in North Carolina so I know what my summer is going to be. Until the day that I'm no longer playing international football there's not much chance to go on vacation.

You and Eddie [Johnson] are good mates - tell us something we don't know about Eddie?

What do people not know about Eddie? He likes to sing a lot. Even though he doesn't have the best voice he's really into music and likes to sing.

Eddie watches the X Factor too and he gets emotional when he sees people do well that have had a tough life. He tears up even though he's a tough guy. I know he's got a big heart and a lot of people probably don't know that about him.

What does Clint Dempsey want for Christmas this year?

What I want for Christmas is a healthy boy. My wife is due in November so that would be the best Christmas present – a healthy and happy boy.

Keep an eye on Cottage Corner for our next player Q&A in the coming days and send us the questions you want us to ask...

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/ClintQA.aspx#ixzz10toFDJOL

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/GeraWestHamPreview.aspx
A Tough Task

Fulham face a testing trip across the capital this weekend when they travel to Upton Park to face West Ham United.

The Hammers currently sit second from bottom in the Barclays Premier League but have had to contend with a hard start to the season, with games against Manchester United, Chelsea and Tottenham in their early campaign schedule.

Speaking from the Club's Motspur Park training ground, Zoltan Gera believes that Saturday's opponents are in something of a false position and is expecting a challenging encounter.

"They have a new manager and some new players and I think they need time. It's going to be a tough game for us, no question," Gera told fulhamfc.com. "They have very good individual players and if they're playing well, it's difficult to play against them.

"Looking at the table, Everton started badly but Everton are a very good team. West Ham, I think, are in the same situation. They struggled with the start but I'm sure they will be a much better team than the table shows at the moment.

"It's very important to start well against them and frustrate the home crowd. We want to win this game; there is no question about that. We want to be better then the last few years away from home. Hopefully the players will be ready for this."

The Whites will be looking to maintain their unbeaten Barclays Premier League record and, as Gera states, the undefeated run has not come about through luck.

"It's a very good feeling and we feel like a stronger team," he said. "We've played three games away from home and I think the Team is strong and hard to beat.

"I think we play a bit more open football than last year, there are a lot of one against one situations during games and the players can do the right things in these situations. It's good to play in a team like that. Players have more freedom to go forward and do what they can for the Team; we can use our ability and I think it's good for the Team."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/GeraWestHamPreview.aspx#ixzz10tobCEas

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/NextOneUpHammers.aspx
Hammer Time
West Ham United v Fulham, Barclays Premier League
Saturday 2nd October 2010 (KO 3pm)

This weekend we travel to Upton Park for our first London derby of the season.

West Ham finished in 17th place last season, winning just twice in the final 12 games. Within days of the end of the campaign, manager Gianfranco Zola was on his way out, but the ex-Chelsea link was maintained with the appointment of Avram Grant.

From his time at Portsmouth, Grant has useful experience of working on a budget, for finances are similarly tight for the Hammers. Nevertheless, he has been able to spend £4million on Mexican international winger Pablo Barrera and £1million for his former Pompey striker Frederic Piquionne. Also acquired have been Israeli defender Tal Ben Haim and former Aston Villa winger Thomas Hitzlsperger, signed on a free transfer from Lazio.

Despite the squad additions, the Hammers did not make an encouraging start to the season and were rooted to the foot of the table after losing their opening four games conceding three goals in each. However a recent draw at Stoke before last weekend's victory over Spurs has lifted spirits in East London.   
Ticket Information

Tickets for Saturday's game are on General Sale.
Prices: Adults £36, Over 65s £21, U16s £1 (Juniors purchasing tickets must produce ID at the turnstiles.)
Loyalty points: 1

Stadium Information 

Address: Boleyn Ground, Green Street, Upton Park, London E13 9AZ
Telephone: 020 8548 2748
Capacity: 35,595
Visitors Sections: Centenary Stand Lower Tier
Disabled Sections: Centenary Stand
Fulham at Upton Park

P37 W8 D8 L22 F47 A77

Getting There

(Approx 15 miles from Fulham)

Despite recent renovations, the Boleyn Ground maintains the atmosphere of one of London's most traditional Premier League football grounds – aside from our own of course.

Coaches

Depart Motspur Park at 11:45am, Craven Cottage 12:15pm.
Price: Season Ticket Holders/Members Adults £10; Juniors £5
Non Season Ticket Holder Adults £15; Juniors £8
To book coach tickets, call 0870 442 1234 option 3.

By Road

Leave Fulham via New Kings Road (A308) and in two miles bear right onto A3212 (signs Westminster). At Westminster join Embankment and follow signs City. Continue ahead until Tower Hill then follow signs for A13 onto Commercial Road. Pass the exit for Blackwall Tunnel then take the left hand lane avoiding Canning Town flyover. Do not use flyover but continue ahead at roundabout onto Barking Road (A124). In approx two miles turn left into Green Street. Ground is on the right.

By Car

Travellers intending to use routes involving the Blackwall Tunnel should note that the Southbound tunnel is closed completely on the weekend of the West Ham game and that access to the A13 from the Northbound tunnel is also subject to diversion. The closure is also likely to impact traffic levels on the A13 throughout the day.

Car Parking 

There are many residents only schemes in the vicinity of the ground. Car crime is also a problem. Parking may be easier south of Barking Road or up towards Romford Road.

By Tube

Upton Park tube (Zone 3) is less than five minutes walk from the ground and is served by the District and Metropolitan Lines. Check www.TFL.gov.uk for any engineering work which may affect your journey.

The Area

Upton Park is just a short tube ride from Central London, and with West Ham fans reputedly very partisan, it's advisable to seek refreshments in more neutral surroundings. If you're making a day of it, walking and boat tours of the 2012 Olympic sites can be arranged, or for post-match entertainment, change at West Ham Station for the Jubilee line and head to the o2 Arena.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/NextOneUpHammers.aspx#ixzz10tp3v6HD

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6405796,00.html
Hughes' striker hope
Johnson and Kamara to press claims

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is optimistic that both Andy Johnson and Diomansy Kamara can give his squad a real boost in the coming weeks.

Hughes has been left desperately short of options following injuries to Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele in recent weeks, but now he hopes Johnson and Kamara can fill the gaps in the coming weeks.

Kamara has featured little this season but could soon get his chance under Hughes, whilst Johnson is closing on his return from injury.

"We've lost key personnel with Bobby and Moussa out, so these guys are going to have to get the job done," he said.

"I'm still getting to know them as a group of players. I have seen Diomansy from afar when I brought teams to Fulham in the past.

"He's had something like four or five training sessions and half a game, so I haven't really seen his qualities first hand yet."

Friendlies

Hughes confirmed that they have also set up friendlies geared towards Johnson building up his fitness.

"Andy is joining in with the senior squad and we've got matches - behind closed doors - organised for his benefit in the coming weeks.

"Hopefully, he'll get through them okay and he'll be an option, albeit initially on the bench."

There is good news for Hughes, though, in that Dembele is set to return from his injury within a matter of weeks.

"I would imagine after the international break he'll be fit and well," he added.

"He's been very lucky.

"I've been pleased with what Moussa's produced this season and to not have him available from a tackle so late in the game is frustrating, but we'll get him back as soon as possible."