Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (30.09.10)

Started by White Noise, September 30, 2010, 05:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/09/waiting_in_the_wings.php

Waiting In the Wings

Posted by Phil Mison 9 hours, 43 minutes ago

Players have been falling over themselves to tell us how happy they are with life at Fulham. Among those making all the right noises are those on the fringe. Will we see Hughes give youth a chance?

After a downbeat week and two dismal displays let's press the happy button in the build up to Saturday's trip to West Ham by reminding ourselves Fulham and Man United are the last two unbeaten sides in the Prem as we enter October.

Hughes says the club have already adapted to the loss of BZ - as a former striker himself the gaffer will no doubt be working overtime on the training ground to get the Whites goal-scoring machine ticking over again. In games to date Hughes has reacted quickly to changing things around when he felt we've been struggling, in contrast to Roy's approach. He's been talking up Eddie Johnson too, suggesting he just needs an injection of self-confidence to get among the goals. I remain sceptical, but can't fault the psychology. Meanwhile, friendlies behind closed doors are being arranged to facilitate the return to match sharpness of Andy Johnson and Kamara.

Six weeks into the season and Hughes says he's still to learn things about some of his squad. For all their respective qualities every astute observer has posted how the Gera-Dempsey axis just does not work. I reckon Mark too has got the message by now. With the back four looking solid Mark can concentrate on matters further up the pitch. Our unproductive front players clearly need more creativity from the midfield, while up front let's be bold and take a gamble. I fancy Mark has the character to do just that.

From our official web site comes a profile of young Finnish striker Lauri Dalla Valle. Out there this week also a feature on young Italian prospect Marcello Trotta. Are these boys ready for a taste of the big time? - both certainly have a lot going for them.

Lauri is 6 feet tall and a centre forward of great promise. He had a spell with the Inter youth team in 2005, atttracted interest from Chelsea in 2007 and scored freely for the Liverpool youth side, including a 30 minute hat-trick in the FA Youth Cup last January. "I am a centre forward, and one of my biggest strengths is my ability to get into good goal scoring opportunities. I have always scored goals and like to think that I can make a difference. I always try and think a move ahead of my opponent - often that can be the difference in scoring a goal".

Whizz kid Trotta has already had a season with Fulham, unlike Lauri who only came down from Liverpool in the summer. He bagged 30 goals for the under 18 side last season and this graduate from the Napoli youth system has also been called up to the Italian U-19 side. "English football has toughened me up to add to the skills I learnt at home. I'm really happy with my progress so far at Fulham, adding speed and power to my game."

If there are to be changes up top it's likely David Elm will be the first in line given a run out, but perhaps it won't be too long before our teenage talents find a way on to the bench. With one of the oldest squads last season the Fulham new wave - to which we must add Moussa, Matthew Briggs, David Stockdale and Rafik Halliche, gives us all grounds for optimism while we count off the days to Bobby's return.

Should the boss actually decide a major overhaul of Roy's Europa League warriors is needed, I wonder if Clint from midfield might be the trigger to unlock opponents? On current form I would take Duff out of the side until he gets his appetite back, Davies and Murphy may not be far behind. A role out wide for Dembele on his return (hopefully for Spurs on the 16th) would be my preferred option. One thing our young brigade won't lack for is the hunger to make an impact.

The future's bright - but it's not orange (sorry Blackpool). Follow me via my Twitter account @fulhamphil
Fulham FC - holders of the Fair Play award 2009-10

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/156142/Fulham-boss-Mark-Sparky-Hughes-gets-Zoltan-Gera-vote/

FULHAM BOSS MARK 'SPARKY' HUGHES GETS ZOLTAN GERA VOTE

30th September 2010

By Jeremy Cross

FULHAM forward Zoltan Gera admits he is relieved to be free of Roy Hodgson's shackles.

Hodgson – who led the Cottagers to the Europa League final last season – vacated the Fulham ­dugout in the summer to take over at Liverpool.

But the new Anfield boss has ­endured an uncomfortable start to life on Merseyside.

Liverpool lie 16th in the Premier League and Hodgson has already been criticised for his rigid and cautious style of play, ­particularly away from home. In contrast, new Fulham manager Mark Hughes has introduced a more attacking approach at Craven Cottage.

And Gera admits his side are a more attractive proposition ­under the man nicknamed Sparky.

He said "I think we play a bit more open football than last year – it's good to play in a team like that.

"There are a lot of one-against-one situations during games and the players can do the right things in these situations.

"Players have more freedom to go forward and do what they can for the team, which is good."

Hughes, who has yet to taste a Premier League defeat as Fulham boss, knows he needs to improve the club's away form.

Under Hodgson, the London club picked up just one away league win all last season.

Gera added: "We play West Ham this weekend and it's important to start well against them and frustrate the home crowd."

White Noise

Inside Fulham Podcast

Wednesday 29th September 2010

Share In the latest episode of the Inside Fulham Podcast, Manager Mark Hughes reflects on the goalless draw against Everton, and American striker Eddie Johnson talks about taking his chances with the Whites.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/Podcast.aspx#ixzz10z8ZCEAM

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3158969/Transvestites-TV-claims-he-had-sex-with-married-Premier-League-star-Carlos-Salcido.html

My Prem ace romp by busty, er, bloke

By NICK PARKER, Chief Foreign Correspondent

Published: Today

A BUSTY transvestite yesterday claimed on TV he had sex with a married Premier League footie star.

The Mexican model's allegations are vehemently DENIED by Fulham ace Carlos Salcido, 30 - who plans to sue.

Blond Yamille Herrera, 24, said the defender had no idea she was really a HE. The transvestite claims he later told the player he was male.

Asked on Mexico's TV Notas if there was "a sexual encounter, a sexual relationship", Yamille replied: "Yes".

He told how they kissed passionately before the World Cup footballer - who plays for Mexico - submitted to being pleasured in a hotel bathroom.

Yamille, who repeated his claims in a Mexican magazine, said the romp happened as international players held a wild bash after beating Columbia 1-0 in a friendly on September 7.

It was only later during an online chat that the transvestite confessed to the defender: "I'm not a girl."

Yamille said: "He was very shocked. Imagine! He was very surprised, asking, 'Why didn't you tell me?'"

Last night - as Salcido vowed to sue the transvestite - a Fulham spokesman confirmed the player insists the claims are a pack of lies.

The defender himself said: "This situation has already passed into the hands of the lawyer. We'll see what happens."

The Sun revealed a fortnight ago how the Mexican FA was investigating allegations their players hired 14 prostitutes and the transvestite - who also uses the name "Gema" - for the bash at the Camino Real Hotel in Monterrey.

Salcido and ten team-mates were fined £2,500 each.

Celtic midfielder Efrain Juarez, 22, and another player got a six-month ban from the national side.

There is no suggestion other players had sex at the party.

Salcido wed less than two years ago. He and wife Fabiola have two kids.

Yamille, wearing a low-cut minidress on TV, told of going to the party after being given tickets for the friendly by the player.

The transvestite said: "This must be very hard for his wife. It was never my intention to hurt anyone. I regret it a great deal."

White Noise

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1454/9/dyer-set-return-west-hams-clash-fulham

Dyer set to return for West Ham's clash with Fulham

By Marc Isaacs

Wednesday, September 29

West Ham midfielder Kieron Dyer is expected to be fit for the Premier League game against Fulham on Saturday.

Dyer has been outstanding for West Ham in the opening part of the season but was forced to leave the field after 42 minutes during the 1-0 win over Tottenham.

There were fears the England midfielder had suffered another injury setback, but manager Avram Grant revealed after the game he was feeling sick before the game.

But Dyer has returned to training this week and is expected to take his place for the London derby at Upton Park this weekend

White Noise

http://videocelts.com/2010/09/blogs/diomansy-kamara-set-for-fulham-return

Diomansy Kamara set for Fulham return

Posted on Wednesday, 29th September 2010

by Joe McHugh

Diomansy Kamara is set to start his first game of the season when Fulham travel to West Ham on Saturday.

The 29-year-old joined Celtic on loan in January but returned to Fulham at the end of last season despite reports of interest from Paris St Germain.

Kamara played for the last 20 minutes of Fulham's goal-less draw at home to Everton on Saturday with Mark Hughes hoping that Kamara can go some way towards filling the gap left in his side caused by Bobby Zamora's broken leg.

The Fulham boss said: "We've lost key personnel with Bobby (Zamora) and Mousa (Dembele) out so these guys are going to have to get the job done.

"I'm still getting to know them as a group of players. I have seen Diomansy from afar when I brought teams here in the past and played against him.

"He's had something like four or five training sessions and half a game so I haven't really seen his qualities first hand yet.

"Andy Johnson is joining in with the senior squad and we've got matches, behind closed doors, organised for his benefit in the coming weeks. Hopefully he'll get through them okay and he'll be an option, albeit initially on the bench."

Kamara joined Celtic on the same day as Robbie Keane and Edson Braffheid as Tony Mowbray attempted to mount a challenge for the title.

None of those players were retained by Neil Lennon with Keane starting just one match since returning to White Hart Lane.

That however is one match more than Braffheid who has yet to kick a ball for Bayern Munich.

The Dutchman has been a regular on the bench without getting involved and was again on the bench for Bayern on Tuesday night when they won 2-1 away to Basel in the Champions League.

White Noise

Leicester set to seal move for former Fulham defender Liam Rosenior

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 11:43 PM on 29th September 2010

Leicester City will today sign free agent Liam Rosenior in a bid to solve their defensive problems.

The former Fulham right back, 24, has been without a club since his contract at Reading ran out in June.

City manager Paulo Sousa is desperate to shore up a defence that has conceded ten goals in the last two games.

And he believes the former England Under-21 star will add some pace to his backline.

Sousa, who is under pressure following his side's slump to the foot of the Championship, said: 'We need to keep working hard, especially on keeping clean sheets.

'This is not an easy moment, I know that, but I have spoken to the new owners and I think the best way to turn this around is to stick together and be strong.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1316335/Leicester-set-seal-Fulham-defender-Liam-Rosenior.html#ixzz10zBFglHp

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/29092010/58/premier-league-match-facts-west-ham-united-v-fulham.html

Match facts: West Ham United v Fulham

Wed, 29 Sep 14:58:00 2010

Fulham have only won two of the 14 Premier League meetings with West Ham, their first and last.

Carlton Cole has scored in each of his last four Premier League matches against Fulham.

West Ham have conceded five headed goals, more than any other team in the top flight.

All four of West Ham's goals this season have come from set pieces.

Victor Obinna has had more shots in the Premier League without scoring than any other player in the division, 13.

Fulham are one of only two unbeaten teams left in the Premier League this season.

Fulham are only the second team in Premier League history (after Ipswich in 1992-93) to draw five of their first six games.

Fulham have scored at least two goals in their last five Premier League games in October.

Fulham have won only three of 41 Premier League London derbies away from home.

West Ham have conceded exactly two goals in their last six October Premier League games.

Opta

White Noise

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/09/29/mark-hughes-banking-on-one-of-his-johnsons-solving-striker-probl/

Mark Hughes Banking on One of the Johnsons Solving Striker Problem

29/9/2010 7:45 AM GMT

By Jon West

Trouble is, he'll only go and get himself injured in one of them...

Fulham fans can be forgiven for a dollop of gallows humour on top of their hopes that Andrew Johnson will soon be terrorising Premier League defences on their behalf.

The former Everton forward, capped eight times for England between 2005 and 2007, is close to his long-awaited comeback from injury.

Eight months have passed since he was sidelined with a wrecked knee and Fulham have arranged a series of private friendlies to speed up his match sharpness.

The circumstances could hardly be more pressing either as Bobby Zamora, the undisputed number one goal-getter in Johnson's absence, is only just beginning the long road to recovery following a broken leg.

And new signing Mousa Dembele is also out injured at the moment, prompting manager Mark Hughes to suggest cautiously that Fulham could soon have their £10 million man firing on all cylinders at last. Follow Us on Twitter Friend Us on Facebook iPhone App - Get It Now
"Andy is joining in with the senior squad and we've got matches, behind closed doors, organised for his benefit in the coming weeks," Hughes said. "Hopefully he'll get through them okay and he'll be an option, albeit initially on the bench."

If he does then the 29-year-old will join an illustrious list of sportsmen helped back to fitness by US surgeon Richard Steadman, whose surgical skills enabled Alan Shearer, Michael Owen and Ruud van Nistelrooy to recover from potentially career-ending knee injuries in the past.

Johnson is now 29, an age when a forward should be at the peak of his powers, but Fulham knew they were taking a risk when they signed him in July 2008 as the player's medical results were far from straightforward.

But Fulham fans are keen to see him back as soon as possible, not least because the 'other Johnson' - USA forward Eddie - has yet to sparkle in a white shirt and had been perpetually ignored by previous manager Roy Hodgson.

Hughes is prepared to give him a chance though and gave him a taste of action in the 0-0 draw with Everton.

"I worked hard in pre-season to impress the manager and I've been carrying that through on a day-to-day basis," the American said. "With the injuries that have happened, to guys that are friends of mine on the team, I've been given a chance.

"I've always had faith in my ability and I knew that when Mark Hughes came in as manager it would be a fresh start for everyone. Even before the injuries I was always in the 20 players selected so I kept my head down and just kept working hard."

Two men with the same surname and the same goal it seems.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=215128
Fulham - The Enigma of the Draw!
UNDEFEATED. it sounds great, doesn't it?

But, is it really? In Fulham's case, I'm not so sure. Yes, we've lost no matches, but we have only one win in six. Draws provide a false sense of security, and paired with an unexpected string of losses, can quickly turn into an anchor around the neck that can see you dragged down the table. Wins are what matter.

I'm not suggesting that draws don't have value; obviously they do. If you're a struggling club, draws sometimes make all the difference. They are often the difference between top-flight status and relegation to the Championship.

In 2007-08, eight-win Fulham owed our survival to twelve draws that allowed us finish even on points with ten-win Reading, where goal differential kept us out of relegation.

In 2004-05, a six-win West Bromwich Albion squad with an inferior goal differential finished a point above seven-win Crystal Palace on the strength of sixteen draws.

Draws also have an impact at the top of the table. Chelsea claimed the title last season by a single point - one more draw in place of a loss than Man United. In fairness, Chelsea's superior goal differential would have seen them claim the title even if the point totals would have been equal.

The exact same scenario occurred in 1998-99 season when Man United claimed the title by a single point over Arsenal. The additional draw in place of a loss in that case was even more significant as United had a one-goal advantage in goal differential that would have been nullified had Arsenal shared the same record.

Again in fairness, Man United would have still won the title on goals scored.

In the preceding season (1997-98), Man United lost the title to Arsenal by a single point, but in that case, could've won the title on goal differential had points been equal. In that season, a single draw crowned the champion. So draws are good, right?

Uummm. maybe not.

If you're not concerned with relegation, and aspire to championships or European qualification draws can be killers. In recent times, just ask Liverpool and Manchester City.

In 2008-09, Liverpool suffered only two defeats and had a superior goal differential, but eleven draws saw them finish four points behind a four-loss Manchester United squad for the title.

Last season, Man City had three fewer defeats and a superior goal differential, but thirteen draws saw them finish three points behind Spurs for the final Champions League place.

Beyond the mathematical significance of a draw, there's the mental aspect. Draws can bring out differing emotional responses for players, coaches and fans based on the circumstances. Draws at home tend to be disappointing; while draws on the road tend to be acceptable.

But, that doesn't always hold true. Draws against the big clubs, even at home, tend to be satisfying; while draws against lower opposition (or perceived lower opposition), even away, tend to be frustrating. Additionally, regardless of where the draw occurred or who it occurred against, the manner in which it happened can enhance whatever the initial reaction might be. Fighting back to earn a draw tends to elevate satisfaction or allay frustration. Conceding late to give up a win tends to have the opposite effect.

So, what are we to make of Fulham's five draws in six matches - good, bad, neither? Of course, it's too early to say. The next two matches will reveal their significance. Pick up two wins (or a win and a draw) and the early draws are looking pretty good. Lose one or both and the early draws begin to loom large. Draw both. c'mon. Could we really have seven draws in our first eight matches? Could you imagine - undefeated, but sitting in the bottom half of the table? I don't even want to think about it.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=215115
Fulham - What if?
Six matches into the Premier League season and Fulham sit undefeated; five draws and a single win.

An odd beginning to the season to be sure, but one that provides at least two clear opportunities to subvert the field of statistical analysis for my own amusement.

Let's take six week's worth of information to extrapolate over a thirty-eight match season to draw an irreproachable conclusion. Hey, the news media does it all the time, so it must be a completely valid and worthwhile approach to predicting the future.

Scenario #1- Fulham Go Undefeated (Well, this is just too tempting to pass up.) You could approach this from two angles:

a) One win and five draws every six matches;

b) one win and three draws every four matches (we defeated Wolves in our fourth match).

One assumes a pattern. The other assumes no pattern. Hmmm, let's just do both!

a) This could result in six or seven wins depending on how they fall, so we'd be looking at either 50 points (6-32-0) or 52 points (7-31-0). Either of those point totals would put us solidly mid-table, but might even garner a Europa League spot.

b) This is the far more appealing scenario as it would guarantee nine wins, so we'd finish the season with 56 points (9-29-0). Again, solidly mid-table and a Europa League spot even more likely.

Heartwarming, isn't it. Little old Fulham join Arsenal as the only undefeated Premier League side (take it easy PNE supporters, I said Premier League), while obliterating the record for most draws in a season.

Ah, wait, the six-match projection applied to Man United would also have them going undefeated this season and thus raining on our parade. Oh well, who cares!

Scenario #2 - Fulham Continue Our Win Rate, Regardless of Draws (Scary, scary thought.)

Same two approaches from Scenario #1 apply:

a) six/seven win season;

b) nine win season.

a) To say that six or seven wins would be an impediment to maintaining our Premier League status would be an understatement. However, West Brom managed to stay up in 2004-05 with only six wins, so it's not impossible. Just keep those draws coming lads!

b) Well, nine wins is much more manageable. Why on two separate occasions, Fulham has managed to keep our Premier League status with only eight wins (2006-07, 2007-08), so nine wins is a cake walk. Virtually every season, a nine win team keeps their Premier League status. Again, keep those draws coming lads! There you have it.

Here's to wasting your time with useless, but unimpeachable statistical analysis (and fortune telling) courtesy of Teddy_KGB.

Cheers.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=215115#ixzz10zcdL1Qx

White Noise

Ready For Duty

Thursday 30th September 2010

After a scintillating start to the new season, which included a penalty save against Manchester United and four consecutive appearances for Fulham, David Stockdale received a double blow following Fulham's draw against Blackpool on August Bank Holiday weekend.

Stockdale had played through the pain barrier at Bloomfield Road to help Fulham to a 2-2 draw but following the match the young keeper was ruled out for three weeks. If that wasn't enough it was then revealed that his impressive form was due to earn him his first England call-up - before injury intervened.

"Unfortunately injuries are part and parcel of the game but to miss out on my first England call-up was gutting," Stockdale told fulhamfc.com. "I'm a proud Englishman and it was heartbreaking to miss out on that. Now I've got to stay patient, keep working hard and wait for my opportunity at Fulham to come again. Obviously Mark [Schwarzer] is our number one keeper at the moment, but when my opportunity arises, I'm going to grab it with both hands and do my very best for the Team.

"I was bitterly disappointed to get injured against Blackpool after making my breakthrough. I'd put together a good run of games after waiting two years for my chance and I was showing the Manager, the Club and the fans what I could do. Before that, people didn't know what I could do."

Stockdale is once again fighting fit and available for selection this weekend when Fulham travel to Upton Park. The keeper is clearly loving his time at Fulham as a professional footballer and evidently takes nothing for granted – even days at the Training Ground when he's injured!

"The ankle is fine now and I'm back in full training with the First Team. I'd only had two days training before the Everton match last weekend so we didn't want to risk it – but I will be available on Saturday when we play West Ham. I can't wait to get back in the mix.

"I always enjoy every day coming in for training. Even when I was injured I still enjoyed it, not being injured of course, but coming in every day to the Training Ground and being around the Team. It's a great place to be and I'm loving it."

Just as Stockdale was returning to fitness the Club lost Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele to injury, whilst managing to maintain their impressive unbeaten League record. Stockdale is clearly proud of Fulham's record this season and believes Mark Hughes has installed the confidence and steel that will see Fulham gain all three points on their travels in the very near future.

"We've had a bit of bad luck in terms of injuries but Clubs pick these injury runs up and hopefully over the course of the season it'll even itself out. Wolves, Blackburn, Stoke and Everton are four tough games at any time of the season, not to mention when you're picking up injuries to crucial players!

"Full credit to the lads, they've stuck in there and to remain unbeaten says a lot about the Team. It shows how we stick together no matter what happens. Also, when we've got a Manager like Mark Hughes then you should know we're not going to be a pushover. That comes with the territory.

"The Manager [Mark Hughes] has brought a lot of confidence into our Team. When you've got a Manager with such a great pedigree in the game it breeds confidence amongst the players. He can also show the strikers a thing or two and help them out.

"We're doing better but the statistic still stands that we haven't won away for quite some time – we want to break that. We'd love to keep our unbeaten run going – it's going to be a tough game this weekend. It's always hard at Upton Park but if we play like we know we can then I'm confident we can get a good result this weekend."

A fellow Barclays Premier League goalkeeper who has endured his fair share of trials and tribulations recently is West Ham's Robert Green. Fulham will be hoping to reign supreme over the Hammers' stopper this weekend but Stockdale had nothing but praise for Green following his sensational performance against Tottenham last weekend.

"The West Ham fans are always going to support him (Green) through and through and hope he does well. He didn't have the best start to the season but to come back, carry on playing, and put in a performance like he did last weekend was hugely impressive. For him, as a person, he can build on that and you've got to be mentally strong and he showed character to come out the other side. Fair play to the lad, he came back strong and did well against Spurs."

Stockdale is clearly loving life at Fulham and is clear about his professional ambitions over the course of the next few years.

"I love it down here [London]. When I first moved it was a challenge in terms of settling into new surroundings whilst trying to establish myself at a Premier League Club. But it didn't take long and I'm so settled down here that I'm happy to stay here for good. I've got three years left on my contract and I just want to keep doing well, earn myself a place in the First Team and establish myself as the Club's number one keeper."

Having played against the likes of CSKA Sofia, Everton and Manchester United for Fulham, Stockdale has a taste for the big match occasion and when pressed, the keeper reveals there is one team he would love to see Fulham drawn against in this season's FA Cup.

"I think if we were drawn against Leeds in the FA Cup I'd have to go and speak to the Manager! I couldn't miss out on that! When I was on loan to Leicester we played Leeds and about 100 of my friends and family members came down to watch the game. They were split because they wanted me to do well but they also wanted Leeds to win. Anyway, when we scored I ran the length of the pitch to celebrate because it was such an important goal, but then I realised who we were playing! Everyone was pretty quiet amongst my family members that night!"

This weekend Stockdale's family members will be heading West to watch the Ryder Cup and whilst he would love to catch the action, the Ryder Cup doesn't come close to this weekend's London derby match at Upton Park.

"Some of my family are heading up to watch the Ryder Cup and I'm a little jealous to be honest. I've got a feeling we'll do it this year in Wales and I'll be watching it on TV. Having said that, I'll be heading to Upton Park with the Team and I wouldn't trade that for anything. I'd happily swap defeat in the Ryder Cup for a win against West Ham this weekend!"

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/StockdaleBackInAction.aspx#ixzz110F87lIj

WhiteJC

http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk:80/football/west-ham/west_ham_v_fulham_preview_1_659870?
West Ham v Fulham preview

The Hammers are looking for their third win on the trot when they take on Fulham on Saturday.

He was the King of Craven Cottage, leading an unfancied, unfashionable team to a European final and even being mentioned in dispatches for the England job.

But his move to Liverpool has turned him into a supposedly terrible manager again, while Mark Hughes is left to take over the steady reins at Fulham.

So far, he has done a decent, though unspectacular job.

Fulham are unbeaten in the Premier League this season, but that statistic is a litte deceptive as they have drawn five of their six matches thus far.

They did hold Manchester United 2-2 at Craven Cottage, while draws at both Bolton and Blackburn are no mean feats, but nevertheless, this could be a good time to take on the Cottagers.

Strikers Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele are now inury victims, leaving them short of firepower.

American Clint Dempsey, who scored in Fulham's victory over West Ham at the Cottage last season, may well be the one to watch, while Hughes may even draft in Diomansy Kamara for the match after he came on as a substitute in the 0-0 draw with Everton at the weekend.

Hughes has made few changes from Hodgson's squad, replacing Paul Konchesky with Carlos Salcido from PSV Eindhoven, and it is that continuity which makes them so hard to beat.

The Fulham boss may see this game as one that they can win however, and if he plays a more attacking game, that could give West Ham their best chance of victory.

Last season, West Ham grabbed the lead through Carlton Cole and then saw Fulham midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi sent off before half time.

However, the 10-men hit back and in the end West Ham had to rely on a last-minute equaliser from Junior Stanislas to grab a point.

If the Hammers play as they did against Tottenham then they should have few problems in sweepng Fulham aside.

The problem may well be getting up for another London derby so soon after last week and that could spell disaster.

History suggests that West Ham won't lose. Fulham have not been victorious in the league at Upton Park since 2001, when Luis Boa Morte was part of that winning team.

Maybe he can be on the winning side again on Saturday.

Possible team: Schwarzer, Hangeland, Hughes, Salcido, Baird, Etuhu, Duff, Murphy, Gera, Dempsey, Davies.

Prediction

West Ham 3 Fulham 1

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/keeper-ready-for-battle-1102941.html
Keeper ready for battle

Fulham keeper David Stockdale is desperate to fight his way back into the side and has warned Mark Schwarzer he is ready to play.
The youngster started the season in great form in the first team due to the absence of the Australian international but he picked up an injury at the end of August and lost his place in the side.

The injury also cost him a call up to the England set up but he is now fit and desperate to get back into the first team.

"Unfortunately injuries are part and parcel of the game but to miss out on my first England call-up was gutting," Stockdale told fulhamfc.com. "I'm a proud Englishman and it was heartbreaking to miss out on that. Now I've got to stay patient, keep working hard and wait for my opportunity at Fulham to come again. Obviously Mark [Schwarzer] is our number one keeper at the moment, but when my opportunity arises, I'm going to grab it with both hands and do my very best for the Team.

"I was bitterly disappointed to get injured against Blackpool after making my breakthrough. I'd put together a good run of games after waiting two years for my chance and I was showing the Manager, the Club and the fans what I could do. Before that, people didn't know what I could do."

WhiteJC

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/09/30/shakhtar-donetsk-will-prove-to-be-tough-opponents-for-inconsiste/
Shakhtar Donetsk Will Prove to Be Tough Opponents for Inconsistent Arsenal

Lurking in ambush for Arsenal, you might say, is Mircea Lucescu and his Shakhtar Donetsk team still to meet the Gunners twice. I've known, liked and admired Mircea since his playing days. An outside left of technical quality and consistent effect; he captained Romania against England in the 1970 World Cup. Well educated, even artistic, he would later manage the Romanian team that finished behind England and Northern Ireland in the qualification stages of the 1986 World Cup. A furious Lucescu accused England of plotting a goalless draw at Wembley with Northern Ireland to exclude Romania. There has never been the least evidence of this, though I remember a leading member of that England team remarking to me that one didn't want a communist country to qualify.

At club level, Lucescu has been constantly on the move; he has coached four Italian clubs, the last, somewhat unhappily, Inter, two major clubs in Turkey and has been in the Ukraine since May 2004.

So far in their group his team have accounted for Partizan Belgrade and in Portugal for Braga, a comfortable 3-0 success. Predictably perhaps the Shakhtar team has a clutch of Brazilians, one of whom, 23 year old Luiz Adriano, scored two of the goals against Braga. Overall, Arsenal haven't been happy travellers to Eastern Europe but on the face of it, they and Shakhtar should qualify without too much stress and strain. It remains to be seen, though who actually will win the group.

At least Arsenal, after their victory against Partizan, seem to have found a goalkeeper, or to put it more precisely, a goalkeeper who has at last found himself. Before the match in Belgrade, Arsene Wenger seemed to be whistling to keep his spirits up when he declared that despite so much evidence to the contrary, Lukasz Fabianski was a fine keeper. However, last season he was guilty of a series of blunders not least in a Champions League game at Porto where two fearful errors cost Arsenal the match.

But with Manuel Almunia injured, and in directly inconsistent form the previous Saturday against West Brom, Fabianski had to play, this time to great advantage. Though beaten from one penalty he impressively saved a second. While right back Bacary Sagna, taken apart by West Brom's former Arsenal winger Jerome Thomas, couldn't possibly play as badly again and didn't. Just as well for Wenger that Fabianski came good when he'd been so slow to get a new keeper all summer and arguably undermined Almunia in the process.

But how well off for keepers are Chelsea? True one saw a Petr Cech in form against Marseille last Tuesday at the Bridge but if Cech is hurt then disaster looms. Deputies Ross Turnbull and Hilario have looked horribly shaky. But nearby Fulham not only had adept veteran Mark Schwarzer whom Wenger pursued, but a fine deputy in David Stockdale who has just turned 25 and earlier this season defied the Manchester United attack. If only Fulham's jinxed strikers could escape perpetual injury! First Bobby Zamora than the gifted Belgian Moussa Dembele, as well that after long absence Andy Johnson a costly acquisition, seems at last on the brink of a return.

White Noise

http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=2799

West Ham United v Fulham - Match Preview

Filed: Thursday, 30th September 2010

By: Preview Percy

Look at it this way: if Preview Percy wasn't at home writing this stuff he'd be out on the streets mingling with members of the public. We figure that this is the lesser of two evils....

Next up it's another Saturday 3pm kick off for a second derby in a row as we entertain Fulham.

Now before we move on to the preview proper I believe I need to do some advance explaining of what is to follow. A "spoiler alert" if you will. Those of you who don't like to have stuff explained to you should look away now.

You see in last week's preview those oh so sensitive souls from White Hart Lane took great offence at what I thought was a rather obvious in-joke in which I referred to their no.3 as "Christian" Bale. I suppose I should have factored in the room-temperature IQ of the opposition support, if only to save the boss from having to deal with all those semi-literate emails to the comments box. So in the interests of harmony, peace and all things lovely and nice, I'd like to make the following quite clear for the benefit of any Fulham fans that, unlikely as it sounds, might be as dim as them from WHL: Yes I do realise that Fulham are not actually managed by Nerys Hughes. Nerys Hughes is an actress with a track record in unfunny sitcoms about scousers and dull dramas about nursing. Whereas Mark Hughes is a former professional footballer who now manages Fulham. Mind you have have you ever seen the two of them together in a room?

Ok it's safe to look again now. Fulham are currently unbeaten in seventh place with eight points, four points clear of ourselves. They are the league's draw specialists as, whilst they have but a solitary win to their name (a 2-1 home victory over Wolves) they have drawn their other five (0-0 away at Bolton and at home to Everton, 2-2 at home to Man Utd and away to Blackpool, and 1-1 at Blackburn). In the League Cup they got rid of Port Vale 6-0 before falling at the next hurdle to our next round opponents Stoke 2-0.

The visitors are managed by Nerys Hughes, the former Man Utd, Barcelona Chelsea, Southampton and Blackburn striker. Hughes arrived in the close season replacing Roy Hodgson. Hodgson led the Cottagers to last season's Europa Cup final where the Cottagers went down 2-1 to Atletico Madrid. Liverpool moved in for Hodgson in the close season because, basically, they needed someone with Europa Cup experience. Hughes came in after 7 months out of work following his dismissal by Man City. He was linked with the vacant post at the Boleyn, though only SuGo will ever know whether that was ever a serious link. His appointment followed protracted negotiations with Martin Jol who was close to signing from Ajax but ended up staying put.

The transfer window saw seven in and nine out. Hodgson raided his former club to take former Hammer Paul Konchesky up to to Anfield. As part of the deal two Livierpool youngsters Lauri Dalla Valle and Alex Kacaniklic came in the opposite direction. Defender Chris Smalling left for Old Trafford in a deal that was, technically, part of the previous window. To replace him former Arsenal defender Philipe Senderos came in on a free in what was effectively Hodgson's last deal for the club. However the Swiss international will miss the lion's share of the season having ruptured his achilles tendon in training. Jonathan Greening's season-long loan from West Brom was also made permanent during the close season. Much of the window headlines, however, centred around a transfer that didn't happen. Aussie 'keeper Mark Schwarzer seemed bound for Highbury in the early weeks of the season. Having missed the first few League matches through injury it seemed the good form of deputy David Stockdale would allow Schwarzer to leave. However a combination of an allegedly derisory transfer fee offered by Arsenal and an injury to Stockdale put paid to the deal – at least for this transfer window. Schwarzer's return to fitness conveniently occurred too late for Fulham to source a replacement.

The departure of Konchesky reduces the number of ex-Hammers in the squad to two. A nasty injury to Bobby Zamora will keep him out until next year. Not that there is ever a good time for injury but the broken leg he suffered against Wolves came at a particularly rotten time for the likeable forward coming as it did when he was being picked for England squads and this is (at least) one Hammer who wishes him all the best for a speedy recovery.

Also in the squad is John Paintsil. There has always been some confusion over the spelling of his name – apparently it's misspelt as Pantsil on all his official ID documents having been spelt incorrectly on his birth certificate. Just to confuse matters further, in the World Cup in South Africa whoever was responsible for ironing the names on the back of Ghana's shirts came up with yet another variant as, possibly after a surfeit of Castle, someone called Panstil turned out in the group match against Serbia. Pa(i)ns(t)il played in all five of Ghana's matches in SA including the unfortunate quarter final defeat to Uruguay – a match that is still looked on with great fondness by your correspondent who had Uruguay in the office sweep. Paintsil has been out of favour in recent weeks – his last appearance came in the victory over Wolves and, though he has been on the bench in subsequent matches he was missing completely from the squad for last weekend's 0-0 at home to Everton.

Up front, they went with Dempsey and Gera against Everton, though the Hugarian half of that partnership was replaced by Eddie Johnson. Johnson's namesake Amy (ok Andy if you must) has been absent of late with an ailment called "jumper's knee" and this weekend may be a few days to soon for a return to the starting line-up. The other attacking option available to them is Senegalese international Diomansy Kamara. A former West Brom player of the year, Kamara spent the back end of last season on loan at Celtic where he partnered Robbie Keane. Let's hope Kamara is as effective this week as Keane was last week.

"And what of us" I hear you shout. Well, as the song would have put it had the lyrics been different: what a difference a week makes. In the space of 7 days we picked up a deserved point at the Britannia, knocked Sunderland out of the League Cup and, picked up three points against Spurs. The newspaper reports of the Spurs match were hilarious. The journos took great pains to mention how Green had "silenced his critics" - whilst failing to mention exactly who those critics actually were. Journalists in hypocrisy shock!

Most reports concentrated on Green's form – but it was a superb team performance that ensured that the points ended up in the right place. The Piquionne-Obinna partnership that showed so much promise up on Wearside in midweek flourished on Saturday and I'd hope that they would start this weekend (subject to fitness). This, I'm afraid, is likely to mean a run of games on the bench for Carlton Cole if they can keep up the sort of form shown in the last week.

On the injury front "Der Hammer" looks to be out for another couple of weeks. There is something that is so West Ham about signing a class player who escaped injury in the World Cup by not getting selected for the squad, only to see him pick up a knock in his first international afterwards. It's going to be a nice selection headache for the boss once all are fit, assuming – and knowing our our luck that's a big assumption – we do manage to keep everyone fit. Thankfully Dyer's tummy should have recovered for this one and, that being the case I'd hope, nay expect an unchanged starting XI. Damned if I can remember the last one.

Well all is optimism and light at the moment and I'm not going to buck the trend in my prediction this week. A slight word of caution is due, mind. Fulham will probably be more difficult to turn over than Spurs were. Nevertheless, the tails are well and truly up at the moment and I can see the nightmare start to the season fading in the rear view mirror. Lets say 3-1 another three points and a step up a place or two.

Enjoy the game!

Last season: drew 2-2 One of those matches where we were cruising until the opposition had a player sent off. One nil up through Cole's header, we then went 2-1 down and things looked grim until Stanislas grabbed a late equaliser, which fooled nobody.

Danger man: Clint Dempsey to be fair nobody has really stood out for them thus far this season but Dempsey has caused us problems in the past.

Referee: Andre Marriner second appearance of the season at the Boleyn for this official. Let's hope he's studied the laws of the game in the month or so since his last one against Bolton. Jewel in the crown of a woefully sub-standard performance was his baffling failure to award a free-kick for Davies' assault on Upson. That was effectively the turning point in a match that, up to that point, we'd dominated.

Travel news: Hallelujah, rejoice, let joy be unconfined. There are no, repeat no, planned engineering works on our bit of the District Line this weekend. Upton Park station will be open so you can resume all those friendships that you used to strike up in the interminable post-match queues.

Daft fact of the week: Apparently the London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham has the fewest railway stations of any London borough. Which begs the question: how come there will be so many trainspotters in the away support this weekend?

WhiteJC

http://www.101greatgoals.com/upbeat-west-ham-can-continue-the-winning-run-against-draw-specialists-fulham/66884/?
Upbeat West Ham can continue the winning run against draw specialists Fulham

West Ham v Fulham, Premier League, October 2, 2010

West Ham 2.30; Draw 3.23; Fulham 3.26

All eyes this weekend are on the London derby between Chelsea and Arsenal but there is another London derby occurring, involving West Ham and Fulham.

This season Fulham have become the Premier League's draw specialists with five draws from their opening six fixtures. Amongst those draws lie a creditable 2-all tie with Manchester United as well as stalemates at both Bolton and Blackburn, places where it is usually difficult to come away with points.

Fulham's consistency has left them in seventh place in the Premier League with eight points. Nevertheless, storm clouds are gathering for  Mark Hughes' men.

Strikers Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele account for 60% of the Cottagers' goals this season. With injuries to Dembele, Zamora and Andy Johnson they are left without a striker who the manager trusts, and, for all their foraging last week against Everton, Zoltan Gera and Clint Dempsey are not natural leaders of an attack. They were toothless against a poor Everton side.

It will be interesting to see whether the Fulham manager opts to start the game with the pairing that began last weekends fixture or he opts to start with fourth choice striker Diomansy Kamara.

The defence have conceded six goals so far. After his long summer flirtation with the Gunners, Mark Schwarzer has regained the goalkeepers jersey. Otherwise, the back four is much the same as under Roy Hodgson with Salcido coming in for Paul Konchesky.

Things are looking rosier for the Hammers who are searching for their third win on the spin and back to back Premier League wins. Avram Grant began the season much maligned but after an excellent victory against Tottenham, which Matthew Upson described as the Hammers' best performance in two years the fans will be looking for the team to produce a result.

Although the Hammers no longer lie at the foot of the table the win only saw them move up a solitary position. Nonetheless the under pressure  players have shown that they have some fight in them. Robert Green's fisted salute to the press box demonstrated how much the win meant whilst Upson who has had a torrid start to the season played with gusto.

West Ham have struggled to score goals this season evidenced by the fact the Scott Parker is the team's top scorer with two goals. It has taken sometime for the combination of Frederic Piquionne and the on loan Victo Obinna to gel but they are finally beginning to look like a handful for the league's defences.

Grant however, may look to start Saturday's game with Carlton Cole as he has enjoyed great success against the Cottagers, scoring in each of the last four Premier League fixtures between the two clubs.

West Ham welcome back their club-crock Kieron Dyer who was withdrawn after 41 minutes in the victory against Spurs.

History suggests that West Ham won't lose. Fulham have only won two out of the fourteen Premier league meetings between the two clubs and have not recorded a victory in the league at Upton Park since 2001. With the wind in their sails and Fulham's attacking issues expect West Ham's climb up the table to continue.

101gg predicts: West Ham 2 – Fulham 1 (8.96)

West Ham 2.30; Draw 3.23; Fulham 3.26

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9048294.stm
Lawro's prediction

West Ham have just enjoyed three really good results - against Stoke, Sunderland and Tottenham - and they look a different side to the one that started the season. Maybe that point at Stoke will prove their catalyst because they look decent now.

Fulham, meanwhile, still look a solid proposition away from home but the goals and guile up front is still missing. It's all well and good being hard to break down - and you don't want to lose that - but sooner or later Mark Hughes will have to add something up front, probably through purchases rather than a change in tactics.
Prediction: 2-1

Travers Barney

What a clown that moustachied moron is....'but sooner or later Mark Hughes will have to add something up front'.....(transfer window has ended old stager)..........not like we have been affected by injuries to our England International centre-forward or our top signing of the summer or anything.

Pension him off.

We are the whites we are the whites we are we are we are the whites
We are the whites