https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (27/05/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 27, 2018, 06:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic was right about Aston Villa

The Cottagers chief's words hurt - but he called it correctly

Anthony Taylor's final whistle signalled the end to another season of failure for Aston Villa.

Manager Steve Bruce – brought in to provide the promotion quick fix – couldn't reach the Premier League for a fifth time.

As Fulham's players raced towards their fans, one even holding a smoke bomb above his head, Villa's players fell to their knees.

There were tears from some as they failed to hide the anguish felt by every play-off final loser.

While those around him dropped, Bruce stood tall in the technical area for a period of reflection at the end of what has been a gruelling season for the Villa chief.

As managers often say, "It's back to the drawing board" for Bruce and his team of lieutenants.

That 'drawing board' is where this game was lost, though.

While Fulham arrived at Wembley with an identity and a clear way of playing, few of us were aware which Villa would turn up – even those of us who've watched Bruce's team every week this term.

When Villa are at their best they're in the opposition's faces and fighting for every ball – but hard work alone isn't enough to win promotion.

There's a popular saying amongst football coaches and players which is written on the walls of virtually every training ground in the country: "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard."

Fulham were the bookies and pundits' favourites ahead of kick-off due to the exciting array of players at Slavisa Jokanovic's disposal.

Tom Cairney, whose goal proved the difference, was a class above every Villa player bar Jack Grealish.

Ryan Sessegnon is freakishly talented – but youngsters need chances and Jokanovic has given him one. Sessegnon wasn't even pulled once Fulham went down to 10 men. The recently-turned 18-year-old has his manager's full confidence.

Jokanovic enraged Villa's fanbase prior to the match, saying Villa are an 'old and tired team'.

The Serbian was spot on. He'd seen something the rest of us hadn't and his team exploited it on the biggest stage.

Villa, with the bigger wage bill and vastly more experienced squad, were relying on the latter alone to pull them through.

In the end, Fulham's talented squad worked hard enough to undo Villa's nine months of good work and ensure the 83 points they racked up over 46 hard-fought matches went to waste.

It's not always the case, but Jokanovic's philosophy and Fulham's talent prevailed over Villa's old heads.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-manager-slavisa-jokanovic-right-14711288

WhiteJC

5 Things we learned from Fulham's win over Aston Villa

Cairney the hero for Cottagers.

Fulham secured promotion to the Premier League with a 1-0 victory in their Championship play-off final against Aston Villa.

Despite being under pressure throughout the second half, Tom Cairney's first-half finish proved enough for their often-promising season to end in glory.

Here, Press Association Sport analyses five things learnt from Wembley.

1. Ryan Sessegnon is ready to thrive in the Premier League. He was already expected to attract significant interest from bigger clubs and the 18-year-old further enhanced his growing reputation with the superb pass that created Cairney's goal on such a high-pressure stage. If Fulham can retain Sessegnon and Cairney, they will have two significant assets as they build for next season.

2. Aston Villa are capable of responding by securing promotion next season. A moment of quality ensured Villa will remain a Championship team for at least the coming 12 months, but in Steve Bruce they have a manager who has overseen numerous promotions, and the core of their starting XI will remain one of the strongest in the division.

3. John Terry is unlikely to play Premier League football again. The defender only ever appeared likely to return to the English top flight with Villa. Aged 37, even if he remains with them and they secure promotion in 12 months' time, a further year at the highest level will by then most likely be beyond him.

4. Fulham may have to adapt. The form of Slavisa Jokanovic's team during the second half of the season perhaps made them the strongest in the Championship, and their expansive, attacking football means they have numerous admirers. Villa regardless created chances that superior teams would have taken, so Fulham could prove at risk by playing that same way in the Premier League.

5. Fulham have struck gold. Promotion to the Premier League is estimated to be worth an additional £160million, spread over three years, which obviously would make a significant difference to either team. If they prove capable of surviving one season, that could even increase to £280million.

Happy days at Fulham (John Walton/PA).

http://sport.bt.com/football/5-things-we-learned-from-fulhams-win-over-aston-villa-S11364274474859

WhiteJC

Tim Ream: Fulham aiming to 'prove ourselves' in Premier League after promotion

Fulham defender Tim Ream says he and his teammates are ready to "prove ourselves" in the Premier League after beating Aston Villa 1-0 in the promotion playoff final at Wembley on Saturday.

The United States international helped Fulham keep a clean sheet despite his center-back partner Denis Odoi's sending off in the 70th minute.

Ream's only Premier League experience came in 13 games for Bolton Wanderers in 2012, after he left the New York Red Bulls in MLS. And after seven season in the Championship, he said he was already looking forward to the next test.

"I don't know that you can describe what the feeling is right now and the emotions, and the release of everything that's gone on this season, in the second half of the season," Ream told Sky Sports. "There's not many better feelings than this.

"It's incredible. I had a taste of it what, six years ago now, and I wanted to get back ever since. It's the top of the top. Now to be back there and to get a change again to prove ourselves against some of the best in the world, there's nothing better.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic recognised that his team will have to invest in their side to ensure survival after winning promotion.

"I personally must be satisfied. This is our project, this Fulham is my club, my staff. We needed two and a half years," he said. "We must adapt ourselves; we know what is ahead of us. The Premier League is the most competitive league and we must be clever.

"That [January] transfer window was successful and gave an important push for the team. We must show ambition to be a Premier League team, show ambition with [transfer] money too.

"We believe we can play this way, but we must know what characters and what players we need. We must try and dominate against teams we believe we can dominate."

Tom Cairney's 23rd-minute goal was the difference as Fulham capped a remarkable turnaround in the second half of their season to join Wolverhampton and Cardiff in the Premier League next season.

"A lot of people said we had to change the way we play and gave us a lot of stick," he said. "I've been playing all season not fully fit. I just need the summer to rest get fully fit then take on the Premier League.

"We knew we weren't going to shrink in this environment. In my eyes in the last two years we have been the best team in this league."

Cairney added: "It feels like an out of body feeling. I got a feeling that they wouldn't score and it would be our year. It's a dream come true. I believe what we are doing here is special and I've said for a while that we've been playing Premier League football in the Championship.

"We went on a 23-game unbeaten run. We've been the best team in the league and although we didn't get automatic promotion, we blew teams away."

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, who scored 12 league goals after joining on loan from Newcastle midseason, spoke of his pride after giving everything.

"We are very proud and proud of Fulham today. Unbelievable day," the 23-year-old Serbian said. "We score a goal and today we get a red card. I'm so tired right now I don't feel my legs "We are really happy and proud."

Information from Press Association was used in this report.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/fulham/story/3510606/tim-ream-says-fulham-aiming-to-prove-ourselves-in-premier-league-after-promotion

WhiteJC

Fulham's teenage sensation Sessegnon ready for Premier League

LONDON (Reuters) - Appropriately it was teenager Ryan Sessegnon's astute pass that paved the way for Fulham to reach the Premier League promised land with a Championship playoff win on Saturday.

Sports News
May 26, 2018 / 9:32 PM / Updated 11 hours ago
Fulham's teenage sensation Sessegnon ready for Premier League
Martyn Herman

4 Min Read

LONDON (Reuters) - Appropriately it was teenager Ryan Sessegnon's astute pass that paved the way for Fulham to reach the Premier League promised land with a Championship playoff win on Saturday.
Soccer Football - Championship Play-Off Final - Fulham vs Aston Villa - Wembley Stadium, London, Britain - May 26, 2018 Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon celebrates promotion to the Premier League Action Images via Reuters/Tony O'Brien

The 18-year-old has earned rave reviews for his performances this season, with speculation rife about which top-flight side would secure his signature in the close season.

But after Fulham's 1-0 victory over Aston Villa at Wembley he can grace the Premier League in a white Fulham shirt next season after all — thanks to the minimum 160 million pounds ($212.91 million) windfall the club can now look forward to.

Defeat would have put huge pressure on Fulham to sell the left back, who scored 16 Championship goals this season.

The west London side's triumph has changed everything.

Sessegnon and Tom Cairney, who scored the winner, will still be targeted over the coming months but Fulham, and billionaire owner Shahid Khan, have the financial muscle to resist overtures for a player many felt deserved an England World Cup call-up.

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic, who also took Watford into the Premier League, could also find himself a target after taking the Londoners up playing stylish football.

The Serbian will expect some funds to strengthen the squad in the close season — as well as keeping the club's best players like Sessegnon and 27-year-old Cairney.

"This is a really important victory for us. We deserved it. It's not easy to play at Wembley, there is a lot of pressure," said Jokanovic. "We know what is ahead of us.

"The Premier League is the best and most competitive league, and we must be clever.

"One important improvement is now finished, and now we must show ambition to be a Premier League team."

CAIRNEY PRAISED

Jokanovic was full of praise for captain Cairney who has been playing for much of the season with a knee injury.

"The last two years Cairney has been fantastic," he said.

"The beginning of the season we had to find a solution for his knee problem, but when he came back he played like we remember last season.

"Today he was crucial, he's captain of the team. He showed the quality and personality to bring the team to the Premier League, and he's an important player for us."

While Fulham look ahead to a return to the top flight after a four-year absence, Steve Bruce's Villa side are condemned to a third year of second-tier football.

"It's been difficult this season financially, so we understand. We've been saying that for the last 12 months," the experienced Bruce said. "The decisions have got to be had above me to say what we've got and what we haven't got.

"Defeat is difficult. We've come close this year and we'll try again."

Whether or not 37-year-old former Chelsea and England skipper John Terry and highly-rated midfielder Jack Grealish, 22, remain at Villa Park is another matter.

"Of course there will be speculation about Jack. Personally, I would like him to stay. Another year with us would do him the world of good," Bruce said.

"We'd love to have given him the platform of the Premier League and we haven't, but he's playing regular football week in and week out. We'll see what happens."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-england-ful-ava-quotes/fulhams-teenage-sensation-sessegnon-ready-for-premier-league-idUKKCN1IR0QH?rpc=401&;

WhiteJC

Fulham's scintillating football set to invigorate tired Premier League

Slavisa Jokanovic's side play the kind of front-foot football that makes them welcome Championship play-off winners

The deafening sound as Fulham celebrated promotion under the Wembley arch gave a whole new meaning to white noise, for Slavisa Jokanovic's slow-burning, swaggering side had finally got over the line. A couple of months ago, Jokanovic had insisted that dreams were to be had in the bedroom but he woke with his team triumphant and many topless at the end of Fulham's first game at the national stadium since 1975. His players, showered in gold confetti, guzzled champagne as they bounced on a hastily erected stage still feeling the effects of the mass pile-on at full-time.

The often ice-cool Jokanovic erupted with joy, thumped the air with both fists, later hoisting the trophy airborne while Shahid Khan, the Fulham owner intent on buying Wembley for £900m, puffed his cheeks. Victory was theirs, Wembley possibly his. Khan, who is worth around £7bn, moved from Pakistan to the United States with $500 in his pocket and here Fulham exited with a jackpot that could be worth £280m if they stay up next season.

For now, as Jokanovic said when asked about the future of Ryan Sessegnon and retaining on-loan striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, it is all about enjoying what his attacking team have achieved. This fearless, rip-roaring Fulham team, along with the champions Wolverhampton Wanderers, will reinvigorate a Premier League that has grown a little tired and musty. Promotion is vindication for the glorious front-foot manner in which Fulham have flummoxed countless teams this season. They will do the same next season but they are not naive. "We must try to dominate against teams we think we can but we must be realistic in the future," Jokanovic said.

The risk, as typified by Denis Odoi's wild kick on Jack Grealish to pick up his second yellow card, is that they can sometimes overindulge but they are mightily good fun. Tom Cairney, the twinkling Fulham captain, just about held back the tears in interviews pitch-side. "After we missed out on promotion last season, a lot of people wrote us off," he said. "We got a lot of stick. But football won today. Football won."

Cairney harnessed his role not only as the team's protagonist but its artist too – probing, prowling, twirling away from challenges, stroking passes across the canvas and, ultimately, adding that all-important finishing touch. Before Cairney slotted home, time appeared to stand still as he readied himself to meet Sessegnon's cute, weighted ball. For a team that froze on the final day of the regular Championship season, in turn forcing them into the play-offs, they displayed enormous steel, fight, and plenty of personality here.

Much of the talk in the buildup to this match had revolved around Villa's big-game experience yet Fulham showed they have anything but a soft underbelly. They were perfectly capable of time-wasting and utilising other dark arts, just like the rest of them. Mitrovic, one of three key January signings, put in another classy performance too, summed up by a sublime touch to control Tim Ream's pass. How other clubs must wish they had pushed the boat out as Fulham, then languishing in mid-table, did to land Mitrovic from Newcastle United, as well as Matt Targett from Southampton.

Any worry that Fulham would buckle at the thought of the occasion or wilt under pressure evaporated. "We must adapt ourselves and know what is ahead; we must know it is the Premier League, the best and most competitive league," Jokanovic said. "We must adapt and be clever, we must not make one step back. To show ambition we are going to need to show the money too."

Sessegnon, who turned 18 this month, has been rightly lavished with praise all season. Yet on the opposite flank, Ryan Fredericks was again mightily impressive, with both occasionally helping out the other to double up on Albert Adomah and Robert Snodgrass. Between them, they gladly hoovered up danger and it was only Grealish, the dancing Villa playmaker who Fulham failed to mute. His bewitching second-half surge upfield did deserve to finish with the ball rippling the net.

Other than that, Villa asked few questions, by which point Fulham had answered all those thrown at them. The exciting thing is the project Jokanovic referenced in his post-match comments is just beginning for this Fulham side.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/may/26/fulhams-scintillating-football-set-to-invigorate-tired-premier-league

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney describes promotion feeling as 'an out-of-body experience'

Fulham matchwinner Tom Cairney described winning promotion with Fulham as "an out-of-body experience" after beating Aston Villa.

Cairney struck midway through the first half in a fierce-tempered occasion on Saturday, with the Cottagers having to see through the final 20 minutes with 10 men following Denis Odoi's dismissal.

"It feels incredible, it feels like an out-of-body feeling," Cairney told Sky Sports.

"I swear, in that last minute when the ref blew the whistle and we were defending with 10 men for 20 minutes, I had a feeling they wouldn't score. It was our time, it was going to be our year."

Cairney has been earning rave reviews in Slavisa Jokanovic's side, who lost in the semi-finals last year.

His 91 per cent passing accuracy in the Championship this season is the best of any recorded by a player in the EFL - and Premier League clubs have been linked with a move for him.

Cairney has been aware of the interest but is delighted to have made it to the big league with the west Londoners.

"It's a dream come true," he said.

"For the last year, 18 months or so I've been linked with a few clubs and people have been questioning what I was doing, but I've signed a contract extension for a reason.

"I believe what we're doing here is special, what the gaffer is doing is special. I've said for quite a while we've been playing Premier League football in the Championship and I'm so happy we get to play Premier League football in the Premier League."

Cairney said he believed "football" had triumphed at Wembley.

"When we didn't get promotion at the end of the season, a lot of people wrote us off and said we had to change the way we play," he added.

"People gave us stick but football won today."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11386614/tom-cairney-describes-promotion-feeling-as-an-out-of-body-experience

WhiteJC

Cairney steers Fulham into the Premier League
by Dan on May 27, 2018

Days like this don't happen to Fulham. The Whites, famously making their first visit to Wembley in 43 years, are usually runners-up in finals. But Slavisa Jokanovic's side are different. They shrugged off the disappointment of failing to clinch automatic promotion at Birmingham City earlier this month, overcame a one-goal deficit against Derby in the play-off semi-finals, and produced a performance that married potency with sheer tenacity to see off Aston Villa under unimaginable pressure.

That the goal that clinch their return to the top flight after a four-year absence came from the left boot of Tom Cairney was fitting. The Fulham captain, the fulcrum of this easy-on-the eye side, was crestfallen following the agonising play-off exit at the hands of Reading last year, tearfully applauding the travelling support after the final whistle as the Royals fans invaded the pitch. He was magnificent this afternoon, driving Fulham forward, and clinically slotted the decisive goal under the advancing Sam Johnstone from ten yards. Cairney was found by a wondrous pass from Fulham's teenage prodigy Ryan Sessegnon, who made light of a heavy touch after attempting to control Kevin McDonald's pass, beat Conor Hourihane and spun before threading a brilliant ball between John Terry and James Chester.

The goal was what Fulham's fast start merited, but Jokanovic's men could have been three-up by the half-time interval. Sessegnon headed straight at Johnstone at the back post after a mistake from Terry, whilst the excellent Aleksandar Mitrovic, who led Terry a merry dance for much of the afternoon, slammed a shot against the Aston Villa goalkeeper when he should have done better. Villa, for all their experience, were muted as an attacking force on the big occasion – with only Jack Grealish offering a significant threat to Marcus Bettinelli's goal, but the gifted midfielder spooned a clever free-kick from Robert Snodgrass well over the bar just before the break. Bruce was furious that Ryan Fredericks escaped after a late lunge at Grealish just after the Fulham goal, but the Villa man was fortunate not to see red himself for a terrible tackle on Cairney in the second half.

Fulham had dictated both the tempo and the play in the first 45 minutes, but the pattern of the second period was entirely different. Jokanovic's men began brightly, with Chester toeing a dangerous Mitrovic centre clear with Sessegnon waiting to pounce, and Stefan Johansen forcing a save from Johnstone, but Villa were soon pushing the white shirts back. Albert Adomah found far more room than in the first half and whipped over a number of threatening crosses, but first Snodgrass and then Grealish failed to find the target with headers.

Villa were becoming far more adventurous and then almost found an equaliser when an incredible slalom run from Grealish took him past four Fulham defenders and into the penalty area, but Bettinelli was equal to his deflected shot. Shortly afterwards, the Villa playmaker went studs-up into Cairney sparking a mini-melee outside the Fulham box but was only cautioned by referee Anthony Taylor, who was also to way away decent penalty shouts for both sides.

Fulham spurned two good chances to double their lead when in quick succession, McDonald glanced a header wide from a corner, and then Sessegnon did brilliantly to play in Johansen but the Norwegian's rising drive flew over the crossbar as Terry and Chester converged on him inside the box. It looked as if Jokanovic's side could rue those misses when Odoi received his marching orders after catching Grealish in the chest to earn a second booking, but their confidence never wavered despite Villa ending the contest with three strikers on the pitch as Bruce threw on Jonathan Kodija and Scott Hogan.

The Londoners had to absorb a barrage of late pressure but Bettinelli had little to do in a nerve-shredding final quarter of an hour, although substitute Ollie Norwood produced a sensational block to deny Hourihane inside the area. Fulham's defence, superbly marshalled yet again by the peerless Tim Ream, survived five anxious minutes of added time unscathed, sparking joyous celebrations in front of Fulham's delirious 38,o00 fans.

ASTON VILLA (4-1-4-1): Johnstone; El Mohamady (Kodija 77), Hutton, Terry, Chester; Jedinak (Onomah 77); Hourihane, Grealish, Snodgrass, Adomah; Grabban (Hogan 82). Subs (not used): Bunn, Bree, Bjarnason, Whelan.

BOOKED: Chester, Grealish, Jedinak, Hutton.

FULHAM (4-3-3): Bettinelli; Fredericks (Christie 82), Targett, Odoi, Ream; McDonald, Johansen (Norwood 72), Cairney; Kamara (Kalas 77), R. Sessegnon, Mitrovic. Subs (not used): Button, Piazon, Ayite, Fonte.

BOOKED: Odoi, Kamara.

SENT OFF: Odoi (70).

GOAL: Cairney (23).

REFEREE: Anthony Taylor (Wythenshawe).

ATTENDANCE: 85,243

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/05/cairney-steers-fulham-into-the-premier-league/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic ready for Premier League challenge

Fulham head coach says that with 'ambition' Cottagers can cope with demands of PL following playoff final win

Slavisa Jokanovic says Fulham are aware of what lies in store next season after earning promotion to the Premier League with a Championship playoff final victory over Aston Villa on Saturday.

Captain Tom Cairney scored the only goal of the match to help Fulham return to the top flight for the first time in four years.

And Jokanovic says that with the right approach the west Londoners have what it takes to adapt to the requirements of the Premier League when the 2018/19 season gets under way on 11 August.

"We know what is ahead of us," the head coach told Fulham's official website. "The Premier League is the best and most competitive league, and we must be clever.

"One important improvement is now finished, and now we must show ambition to be a Premier League team."

Jokanovic also paid tribute to Fulham's match-winner, Cairney.

"Today he was crucial, he's captain of the team. He showed the quality and personality to bring the team to the Premier League, and he's an important player for us."

https://www.premierleague.com/news/694113

WhiteJC

Newcastle fans want Aleksandar Mitrovic sold after Fulham promotion

Newcastle United-owned Aleksandar Mitrovic featured for Fulham in the Championship playoff against Aston Villa on Saturday.

Newcastle United fans want the club to sell Aleksandar Mitrovic after the striker helped Fulham win the Championship playoff final against Aston Villa on Saturday evening.

Mitrovic featured for Fulham in their 1-0 win against Villa at the Wembley Stadium in London in the Championship playoff final.

The Serbia international striker moved to the Cottagers on loan from Premier League side Newcastle in the January transfer window.

The 23-year-old former Partizan and Anderlecht has been a huge success at Craven Cottage, and Newcastle fans want Mitrovic to move to Fulham on a permanent contract in the summer transfer window.

Mitrovic, who earns £60,000 per week as salary according to Spotrac.com, has failed to impress Newcastle manager Benitez, and it would make sense for him to make his loan deal at Fulham permanent.

The Serbian striker has done relatively well in the Premier League for the Magpies, and given his success at Craven Cottage in the Championship, Fulham would be wise to snap him up if Newcastle are willing to sell him this summer.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/05/27/newcastle-fans-want-aleksandar-mitrovic-sold-after-fulham-promot/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss demands club now 'show the money' – Aleksandar Mitrovic at the top of his list

Aleksandar Mitrovic helped Fulham to win at Wembley, now the manager demands the necessary funds to buy the Newcastle striker and others.

What a three months for Aleksandar Mitrovic.

His loan spell at Fulham has produced 15 wins, three draws, and only two defeats.

No wonder the Cottagers are desperate to sign him on a permanent deal.

The 15th Mitro win for Fulham came at Wembley, the West London team streets ahead of Villa in terms of ability and style of football.

Once Cairney scored after 23 minutes the outcome rarely looked in doubt.

Fulham had dominated the opening quarter and fully deserved the lead.

A red card for Odoi with 20 minutes remaining gave Villa some late encouragement but the Fulham keeper never really had a save to make.

The 12 goals from Aleksandar Mitrovic were key to Fulham's excellent late run to third place and whilst he managed no goals in any of the three play-off matches, he played his part in all of the games.

Now of course thoughts will turn to the transfer market and with promotion now secured, the Fulham manager has demanded that the club's owner shows ambition, saying 'we're going to need to show the money too.'

Jokanovic has already repeatedly made clear that he wants to sign Mitro on a permanent deal and will surely want to try and get the deal done ASAP, to head off competition from elsewhere.

With his Fulham form having raised the Serbian striker's profile, Fulham will surely need to offer in the region of £15m to £20m if they are going to keep the Newcastle loan forward.

Slavia Jokanovic:

"We have shown we are one of the best Championship teams.

"We showed we can be solid, organised and work altogether for a clean sheet.

"The last 20 minutes [playing with 10 men] all we were thinking about was not conceding.

"This is a really important victory for us and we deserved it.

"It's not easy to play at Wembley, there is a lot of pressure.

"We know what is ahead of us.

"The Premier League is the best and most competitive league, and we must be clever.

"One important improvement is now finished, and now we must show ambition to be a Premier League team.

"To show the ambition, we're going to need to show the money too.

"We believe we can play this way but we must know what characteristics of players we need.

"In general we must try to dominate against some teams that we believe we can dominate against and be realistic [against others].

"We must know what our plan is  and what are the characteristics of the players we need for the future."

Steve Claridge talking to BBC Sport:

"(At Half-time) Fulham are playing more how we'd expect them to play.

"Villa have one up front in Lewis Grabban but their wingers are more worried about Fulham than going forward.

"To say Grabban is isolated is an understatement.

"They look like they're waiting to make a change but they'll never get back into it this way.

"They need to be more positive.

"(70 minutes in) I think the red card was a little bit harsh.

"I think the first one was one where the referee saw the challenge but not if Denis Odoi got the ball – but the second (yellow) one was a ridiculous challenge, not the kind of challenge you should make.

"(after final minute) You have to say, overall, Fulham have deserved this.

"Certainly when it was 11 v 11 they had the majority of the best chances and have certainly negated Villa since the sending off."

"Villa took a half to get going.

"I don't quite know what the game plan was – for 45 minutes, they were tepid in the extreme.

"Then they pushed the widemen on and created more opportunities, but even in those periods, Fulham were still the better team.

"Fulham stuck together in what was a bitty game. They did enough to see it out in a game littered with mistakes."

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/05/fulham-boss-demands-club-now-show-money-aleksandar-mitrovic-top-list-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

Frederick and Grealish should have been sent off | Aston Villa 0 Fulham 1

Fulham celebrated promotion back to the Premier League this weekend after beating Aston Villa 1-0 in the Championship play-off final at Wembley.

An ill tempered game ended with the eventual winners with a man down when centre-back Denis Odoi was sent off for two bookable offences – both for fouls on Jack Grealish. Earlier Villa were incensed that Ryan Fredericks escaped a red card during a first-half clash with Grealish, the Fulham right-back appearing to step, studs first, on Grealish's leg, but referee Anthony Taylor only deemed it a yellow. Later, in the second half, the Villa midfielder himself was booked for a lunging tackle on Cairney.

The Ref Online's Mark Halsey gave us his take on all three big talking points:

Fredericks stamp – Absolute red card all day, Anthony Taylor simply didn't recognise the severity of the challenge. His fourth official Kevin Friend, however, should have seen the incident, he's right there and he's got to advise Anthony of the stamp which was clear act of violent conduct. It happened right in front of the technical area, Steve Bruce saw it so why hasn't Kevin? Having said that Anthony really should also be recognising these challenges. He's part of the UEFA elite referees group and if he wants to consider himself up there with the best referees in Europe, then he's got to protect players in those situations better, he failed to do so.
    Grealish late lunge – It was with excessive force, endangering the players safety, so again it should have been a red card. Once more Taylor's recognition of careless, reckless, and reckless with excessive force foul challenges wasn't what it should have been.
    Denis Odoi sent off – Two cautions, both were for reckless foul challenges, both were correct. The defender can have no complaints and you have to give Taylor credit for applying the law, unfortunately he wasn't consistent throughout the game.

If Anthony is to be successful within the UEFA elite, in the Champions League, he'll need to do better at stamping his authority on games, being more decisive, and showing courage when serious foul play and violent conduct incidents occurs.

At the moment we can see why Michael Oliver is so far ahead of everyone else. Hopefully Anthony will look back and learn from this performance, recognise where he went wrong and look to improve. This is where good quality coaching can help but unfortunately we are lacking in this area, and that is not the fault of the referees.

They all make errors, the best know how to deal with them, park it, learn from it, and move on.

https://theref.online/frederick-and-grealish-should-have-been-sent-off/

WhiteJC

Fulham's promotion forces Chelsea into important decisions on loanees

After a four year hiatus, SW6 derbies will return to the Premier League. Fulham's return forces Chelsea to make necessary and belated decisions about Lucas Piazon, Tomas Kalas and their top-rated youth.

Lucas Piazon and Tomas Kalas spent the last two years nearly in sight of but far from the thoughts of Stamford Bridge. Both players were regulars in Fulham's XI and crowd favourties at Craven Cottage. In two seasons Kalas played as many games (76) for Fulham as he did in his two year loan – from 2011-13 – at Vitesse. Piazon "only" made 58 appearances, scoring 12 goals and nine assists.

Fulham's return to the Premier League should be doubly fortunate for this duo. Chelsea can only have one player on loan at a given Premier League team. They will either need to sell these players to Fulham, sell them to another club or give them their opportunity at Stamford Bridge. Another loan would be intolerable. The players would be right to reject it and force a transfer.

Piazon has a much greater chance of ascending to Chelsea's first team. The Blues need more wingers, and Piazon has proven himself to be what they need. He primarily plays on the right, meaning he can challenge and provide depth for Willian. He is also comfortable on the left, where he can take Pedro's place as depth or as the starter when Eden Hazard plays as a No. 10.

Chelsea already have a surplus of centre-backs. Despite Tomas Kalas' exemplary record on his loans, there is simply little room and little hope for him to break through. Fulham have wanted to buy him for the last two seasons, and Chelsea have stubbornly and foolishly refused to sell. The Blues denied Kalas his Premier League desserts when he helped Middlesbrough earn promotion in 2016, kicking him back to the Championship with Fulham. Kalas is happy at Fulham and Fulham are happy to have him. He has earned this transfer many times over.

Chelsea should also move both players out of the loan army to make room for the next generation of loanees. Kalas and Piazon are evidence of Fulham's value as a loan partner. Chelsea should move them to a permanent status somewhere so another player can take their place on loan at Craven Cottage.

Mason Mount and Jay Da Silva are the best candidates to represent the loan army in west London. They have earned a loan at a club like Fulham every bit as much as Tomas Kalas and Lucas Piazon have earned a permanent station somewhere. They are both coming off particularly strong seasons on loan, and both look ready for Premier League football.

Mount has the advantage of playing first-tier football, so while the transition to the Premier League may be easier for him, it also means he may be ready to jump right to Chelsea. If he is not yet ready for Chelsea's first team, he needs only a year in the Premier League to finish his development. Gareth Southgate would particularly enjoy watching Mount and Ryan Sessegnon play together for an entire season.

Despite being out of the top flight for four years, Fulham still have the character and culture of a Premier League mainstay. Their goal will be a mid-table finish, not survival. This is the sort of mentality that will be crucial for top prospects like Mount and Da Silva. Piazon and Kalas flourished under Slavisa Jokanovic not only because he trusted them, but because he treated the team like a displaced Premier League team. He managed the team as if they were already in the top flight, and their reward was Saturday's promotion.

That is the mindset Chelsea need their loanees to develop, along with their technical and tactical skills. Jokanovic is no slouch in building those attributes, either.

Fulham's return to the Premier League is great news for the league and the fans. Something just seems right about them being in the top flight, and there's always such a great feel to the west London derbies. So much less acrimonious and banter-laden than, say, north London derbies.

A side benefit of Fulham's return is forcing Chelsea's hand on their loan strategy. Chelsea have spent the last few seasons content with stashing players here and there and everywhere. They will not be able to do that with Craven Cottage any longer. For once they must make real decisions around some of their most valuable and closest-to-home loanees.

https://theprideoflondon.com/2018/05/27/chelsea-fulham-promotion-loans/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Aston Villa: play-off final player ratings

Fulham are back in the Premier League. Tom Cairney's goal at Wembley gave them victory in the play-off final, taking them into the top flight after a four-year absence. Here's how we rated each Whites player in the win against Aston Villa.
Marcus Bettinelli: 6

Produced a fine save to deny Jack Grealish at 1-0 up in the second half.
Ryan Fredericks: 7

Attacking threat often forced Grealish to defend and abandon his attacking instincts.
Tim Ream: 6

A calm presence in a defence that was under consistent pressure throughout the second half.
Denis Odoi: 5

Produced a potentially-crucial block from Lewis Grabban's close-range shot but was sent off following a second yellow, which invited pressure.
Matt Targett: 6

Unusually offered little going forward, largely because of Villa's second-half response.
Kevin McDonald: 7

Midfielder provided the discipline his team required as they sought to stretch Villa.
Stefan Johansen: 6

Wasted a fine chance to put Fulham 2-0 up, settle their nerves and arrest Villa's momentum. But overall he did well in midfield.
Tom Cairney: 8

His composed finish gave his team the lead they deserved and provided the platform for victory.
Aboubakar Kamara: 8

Came close to scoring, at 0-0, with a promising chance he created for himself, and was unfortunate not to be rewarded with a goal.
Ryan Sessegnon: 8

Again demonstrated his potential and vision with the superb through-ball that created Cairney's goal.
Aleksandar Mitrovic: 7

Did well to hold the ball up against an experienced defence, and drew the challenge from which James Chester was booked.
Oliver Norwood: 8

Brilliant, late challenge denied Conor Hourihane from a dangerous position. Tomas Kalas and Cyrus Christie also did well defensively when they later came on as as substitutes too.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-was-fulham-aston-villa-ratings

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic creates history after leading Fulham into the Premier League

Fulham are promoted to the Premier League after Tom Cairney's first half goal gave them a 1-0 Championship Play-Off Final victory over Aston Villa.

Their win meant the pre-match comments of Whites boss Slavisa Jokanovic, who unusually described Villa as "an old and tired team" before stating his intention to put John Terry "under pressure from strong and fast players" went unpunished.

Before the game, there was talk of the Serb's remarks backfiring on him and Aston Villa's big-game experience coming to the fore, not without good reason. Eight of the starting eleven had featured in play-off finals and that's without including the pedigree of John Terry, whose elite career meant he never needed to.

There was also concerns about whether Fulham, who employ a process-driven approach which requires extra self-assuredness, could execute their possession-based performance on the big stage.

Those concerns held weight early on, when Villa pressed intelligently, forcing midfielder Kevin McDonald and defender Denis Odoi into the occasional slip.

Fulham though didn't lose faith in their plan and after growing into the contest, Tom Cairney netted a crucial 23rd-minute opener. Stefan Johansen played a clever reverse pass to Ryan Sessegnon, who escaped Conor Hourihane's delayed challenge to worm inside and slot through for Cairney to finish smartly.

From Steve Bruce's perspective, the goal raised concerns. Alan Hutton, who had been tasked with watching Aboubakar Kamara, was too slow to switch his concentration to Cairney's run. Centre-backs James Chester and Terry, who had looked rock-solid in the semi-final win over Middlesbrough, were both slow to react; was Slav right after all?

Normally, his side can manage leads in the second half by keeping the ball. Due to the unique nature of the contest though, they were pinned back: Villa re-started the game with far more vigour and intensity than we saw in the latter stages of the first half.

Hourihane gained a grip on the midfield while Albert Adomah posed a threat down the left, the latter's cross headed just over the bar by Jack Grealish. The attacking midfielder is known less for his aerial prowess and more for his silky footwork, which we saw just before the hour mark, when he escaped numerous Fulham defenders only to be denied by Marcus Bettinelli from close-range.

Villa looked set to turn the screw when Odoi was given a second yellow after a rash challenge on Grealish during a feisty period.

Ironically though, the Cottagers managed proceedings in the second half better with 10-men than with 11. It might have raised a few eyebrows when Kamara, who had nearly won a penalty out of his counter-attacking qualities, was taken off, but holding midfielder Oliver Norwood made some vital challenges and one or two cynical fouls when needed.

The Midlanders came closest when Robert Snodgrass curled wide with a late free-kick but otherwise, Bettinelli's goal went surprisingly unchallenged, condemning Villa to defeat.

The Villans have made progress this season and there are better characters around the club, for which Bruce deserves credit. The next step though is to establish a more coherent playing identity, the absence of which has sometimes been accounted for by moments of individual quality.

By contrast, Fulham are more deserving of their place in the Premier League. Having won the hearts of many neutrals in the Championship with their free-flowing play, they now have an opportunity to take on England's elite.

http://www.thesackrace.com/news/27th-may-2018/slavisa-jokanovic-creates-history-after-leading-fulham-into-the-premier-league