https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tony Khan.

Started by charliejones141, June 04, 2018, 08:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

Quote from: toshes mate on June 05, 2018, 09:39:12 AM
Quote from: Holders on June 05, 2018, 09:23:24 AM
If you resent them their obscene wealth why go and see them then? It's the way of the world and we can vote with our feet - or not - as we wish.
The truth is that it isn't their obscene wealth keeping the football clubs alive - it is the media money raised from TV subs from ordinary folk who do not necessarily attend football matches.  Owners of football clubs are place holders for reasons of their own choosing.  I have nothing against the Khans and what they do with their money, but OTT comments about them are not my forte.

I agree. The comments against Tony, particularly on the twitter quote, were out of order. Players get what they do because of market forces; the football world went crazy years ago and there's no turning the clock back.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Dirk Lehmann

Quote from: Newry FFC on June 04, 2018, 10:36:08 PM
Quote from: Milo on June 04, 2018, 10:23:30 PM
The key to our success was the Rigg philosophy of signing the POTYs for various Championship teams eg Cairney, McDonald, Ream etc.

We won't know just how much input Khan or Kline had in that... but my money would be more on Rigg pulling the strings.

That same strategy was ridiculed for signing Lonergan and Pringle. But 3 out of 5 aint bad!

And O'Hara and Stearman...

FulhamStu

Quote from: toshes mate on June 05, 2018, 09:39:12 AM
Quote from: Holders on June 05, 2018, 09:23:24 AM
If you resent them their obscene wealth why go and see them then? It's the way of the world and we can vote with our feet - or not - as we wish.
The truth is that it isn't their obscene wealth keeping the football clubs alive - it is the media money raised from TV subs from ordinary folk who do not necessarily attend football matches.  Owners of football clubs are place holders for reasons of their own choosing.  I have nothing against the Khans and what they do with their money, but OTT comments about them are not my forte.

I think you will find Khan has been funding something in the region of a ten million pound a year loss since he purchased the club.

Twig

Quote from: The Enclosurite on June 05, 2018, 08:41:01 AM
Yes, and while Tony and his mates (the players) are living it up in Vegas rubbing their wealth in our faces, Fulham fans get hit with a massive price hike for season tickets and worry about how they are going to be able to afford to watch their beloved club in the years to come.

Don't know what you are banging on about. My season ticket cost no more than last year. In fact, as I passed 65 it went down in price!  Fantastic value for premiership football. 
Of course prices will rise in the next couple of years assuming we stay in the premiership. That is to be expected. But right now our tickets compare favourably with other premiership prices.
And no, I don't resent them their wealth and no I don't think they rub their wealth in our faces. Your post reads like petty jealousy.

The Enclosurite

Nothing to do with jealousy, it's about Fulham Football Club potentially pricing out a whole new generation of fans. Look at the bigger picture.
¡COYW!

The Enclosurite

Quote from: Statto on June 05, 2018, 07:17:33 PM
Quote from: The Enclosurite on June 05, 2018, 07:15:30 PM
Nothing to do with jealousy, it's about Fulham Football Club potentially pricing out a potential whole new generation of fans. Look at the bigger picture.

If we are only getting 15,000 next year I might agree with you but I suspect we'll sell out every week. Plenty of bored rich kids in Fulham.

Who will be replacing long term committed season ticket holders and their families.
¡COYW!

Milo

He was having a go at a 13 year old on instagram tonight..

Personally I think he's pretty vulgar... all the embarrassing celebrations at the end of the playoff final with the players like some drunk Uncle at a wedding. I note most of the team didn't accept the free holiday offer and stayed well clear.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Milo on June 07, 2018, 11:05:46 PM

Personally I think he's pretty vulgar... all the embarrassing celebrations at the end of the playoff final with the players like some drunk Uncle at a wedding. I note most of the team didn't accept the free holiday offer and stayed well clear.

What was embarrassing about him? Does he not have a right to express himself or should he sit there all professional and glum?

wheelerdeeler

Define most of the team? Because Mitrovic, Kalas and Johansen went off to play internationals, The Sessegnon's aren't 21 so there really isn't much point going to Vegas, guys like Ream have families they might have already made plans with etc.

Logicalman

Quote from: The Enclosurite on June 05, 2018, 07:15:30 PM
Nothing to do with jealousy, it's about Fulham Football Club potentially pricing out a whole new generation of fans. Look at the bigger picture.

It's more to do with Market forces than anything else.

Every club is a business, it's not run to satisfy the fans, it's run to make money - get used to it.

Like everything else, we all have the right to spend money how we wish, we all make that decision, in every walk and facet of our lives. If the players and TK decide to splash it up in wherever they wish to, who are we to complain or make derogatory comments about it?  I guess next we could complain our next door neighbour went to Vegas, or perhaps a staff member from wherever one shops for groceries, just because we decide to spend our monies on a particular club, gives us no rights to complain how the club spends it, especially in a promotion season.

As fans, these days, we are not financial backers of the club to any real degree, the only real value we give is our support, mainly on the emotional level, not fiscally.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

RoyTund

He can't really win. Not necessarily my cup of tea and i think overall its difficult to argue stats hasn't worked. I'll raise you an Aston Villa.

OtherHodgson

I get that it is making it difficult for some and a tough price to pay for some of our supporters. But if they aren't making money on the club and our tickets are at market price or below it's hard to blame it on our owners. They are entitled to some return on their investment and there are many club owners i for one wouldn't swap with.

KJS

All this Khan bashing is embarrassing some people need to take a step back and assess what they have achieved since they took over a club left in limbo by MAF!

RaySmith

The game changed irrevocably  several years ago, and football as the cheap  leisure pursuit of the working -class, that it was when I began going in the 60's, vanished.

Thatcher changed British society for good with her 'individual wealth is good, no such thing as society' mantra, empowered  media baron Rupert Murdoch, and wanted to introduce  id cards for football fans, who she regarded as scum, along with the media.

Then Murdoch's Sky money rescued football, but focussed on the Prem, which became even richer, and wages, and thus prices went up from  a cheap afternoon's entertainment, to astronomical, beyond many traditional fans' pockets.

The days of  local businessmen, or comedians like Tommy Trinder, being chairmen of football clubs have long gone, and you need to be  very rich, beyond even those wealthy men, to own a top club these days.

We are lucky to have  Khan as Fulham owner, I think, since he is a legit businessman, and not likely to be refused a visa to this country, and seems prepared to put a lot of his wealth into the club.

It sems naive to think that st and  admission prices generally wouln't go up after reaching the Prem - Khan is a businessman first and foremost after all.  If people will pay the prices, is he going to say 'well these aren't the folk we want watching Fulham?'

But, MJG said that the  FFT, is that's what the fan organisation is called, will be raising the subject of pricing  out  our traditional, and old and young, fans, though i think many of our tradtional fan base  has already been priced out.

I think one idea - from Germany? - that you have a very cheap price band in certain areas, maybe the Hammy End- as well as top prices in , say The Riverside, especially with the new stand facilities, is a good idea, and would  retain traditional fans, and  help bring in new, young fans, but you would still get top dollar from those who could afford it.

VicHalomsLovechild

The Chairman and his son had a tough start. Things didn't work for them and a lot of people on here thought we were in trouble. Relegated, cancelling of a couple our favourite players contracts and mad max in charge of the team. Since then there have been a couple of hiccups but on the whole they're both showing one way or another that they want to run the Club properly. I'm really interested in how the sustainability thing is going to work. Different league, higher earnings, higher costs are going to price people out of going. I can't see sustainability just being about hard cash though. Maybe facilities at Motspur park will change and allow for a greater number of those priced out of Premiership games to watch the Academy and under 21's etc. Looking at the vids from the Club they all seem a pretty polished lot and would the benefits of a larger crowd not be useful to them and maybe a fair few of us would enjoy a return to grass roots football where the pressure of doing it right replaces the pressure of results.
Tony Khan said on Twitter that the Wembley victory was the greatest day of his life ( Oh how he would have enjoyed the Europa run) He's 36 pretty passionate and from what I can see doing right by us. Long may it continue.

toshes mate

Quote from: KJS on June 08, 2018, 06:19:52 AM
All this Khan bashing is embarrassing some people need to take a step back and assess what they have achieved since they took over a club left in limbo by MAF!
Equally embarrassing are OTT obsessions with owners who have chosen to invest fractions of their wealth in football clubs that were once cheap entertainment sources for working class people, inspirations for youngsters with sufficient talent to believe they could make the grade as professional footballers, and those older generations of supporters who'd tell any kid prepared to listen how the whole thing worked.  As RaySmith eloquently describes just above the game changed, perhaps forgot its roots, and is perhaps living the lie that clubs in financial trouble, under pressure from big business property interests or simply starved of support feel very close to their skins.   

Certainly we have to appreciate the investment of the Khans for keeping us alive but we must also be realistic about what FFC means to them as compared to what it meant to the working class community spirit that was once alive and well in SW6 and started the professional game in London.  Those big business interests will never be too far away although the charisma of the Johnny Haynes Stand and Craven Cottage will always make life more difficult for them than some other places in the area.

Deeping_white

He wasn't having a go at a 13 year old at all - he was defending Freddo's decision to leave and said that he should respect Ryan for all the effort he put into getting us back to the Prem, which is spot on. In terms of calling him vulgar for celebrating, I bet you'd be the first person on here moaning that he sat there looking disinterested if he didn't celebrate so he can't really win with people like you. When you say most of the team; 9 players went to LA/Vegas, and once you discount those that cant go there and drink, and those who were on international duty then you've not really got many players left to pick from that didn't actually go so your point is invalid there as well.

mrmicawbers

Blimey if you can't celebrate on that day at Wembley when can you.Celebrated like a Fan which I think he has become.I sincerely hope he doesn't start throwing silly money about like some fans on here would.

Maidstone Lee

Quote from: Statto on June 08, 2018, 09:06:34 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on June 08, 2018, 07:29:40 AM
Thatcher changed British society for good with her 'individual wealth is good, no such thing as society' mantra, empowered  media baron Rupert Murdoch, and wanted to introduce  id cards for football fans, who she regarded as scum, along with the media.

Not sure how you can blame/credit Thatcher in any way for a load of yanks, Arabs and Chinese becoming interested in English football around the 1990s and early 2000s.

Thatcher's only effect on football whilst in office was coming down hard on hooliganism, and reducing that may have made the game more marketable. So to that extent I suppose it's arguable that if it wasn't for her, football might still be cheap, but then of course you'd still have a good chance of getting your head kicked in.

Completely agree with that.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Tabby

Not too hot on Khan going on twitter tirades. It doesn't matter how right or wrong you are, when you start arguing with random people on twitter you lose dignity by default.