more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A Message From Our Chairman

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 18, 2018, 10:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

To be fair it's a nice enough touch - if you like that kind of thing

Personally speaking I read it and thought it a little out of place for a hard working business person to write.  Sure you celebrate your attainments but you also know they are moments in time to be savoured for a day or so (the memories will always come back when you want them to) and then it is back to business.  And so I'd have liked something a bit more constructive, business like, and reassuring that hard work is already happening to secure players so the Club can make all that hard work count for something in the next, just as important, stage of the 'Project'.

Lighthouse

Quote from: toshes mate on June 19, 2018, 09:05:00 AM

Personally speaking I read it and thought it a little out of place for a hard working business person to write.  Sure you celebrate your attainments but you also know they are moments in time to be savoured for a day or so (the memories will always come back when you want them to) and then it is back to business.  And so I'd have liked something a bit more constructive, business like, and reassuring that hard work is already happening to secure players so the Club can make all that hard work count for something in the next, just as important, stage of the 'Project'.

But then your statement to the fans would still be criticised for telling us the bleeding obvious. Football fans are really into the emotion of the game and there is nothing wrong with the owner continuing to join into that emotion. It may be a nothing statement but it was meant to convey unity and excitement. If you are only going to savour your success for a day or so then life would be even worse than it already is.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Andy S

I think that both Mo and Shaid have done their bit.  As always it is where we go from now that counts

toshes mate

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 19, 2018, 09:26:07 AM

But then your statement to the fans would still be criticised for telling us the bleeding obvious. Football fans are really into the emotion of the game and there is nothing wrong with the owner continuing to join into that emotion. It may be a nothing statement but it was meant to convey unity and excitement. If you are only going to savour your success for a day or so then life would be even worse than it already is.

It'll be criticised by somebody for sure and it is already saying the bleeding obvious for pity sake.  As I already said Khan is a business man and his business was not made powerful via  sentimentality or sharing 'joy' for anything longer than as necessary.   As I said if you like postcards from the seaside then it does its bit.

EJL

"Khan doesn't care"
*Releases statement showing he does*
"The statement doesn't say anything"

Holders

Quote from: toshes mate on June 19, 2018, 10:10:16 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on June 19, 2018, 09:26:07 AM

It'll be criticised by somebody for sure and it is already saying the bleeding obvious for pity sake.  As I already said Khan is a business man and his business was not made powerful via  sentimentality or sharing 'joy' for anything longer than as necessary.   As I said if you like postcards from the seaside then it does its bit.

I agree. It might be the bleedin' obvious but at least he tried to keep in touch during the close season. As a successful business man he's hardly going to put his cards on the table regarding transfers. A postcard from the seaside is an excellent analogy.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

BarryP

Quote from: EJL on June 19, 2018, 01:04:46 PM
"Khan doesn't care"
*Releases statement showing he does*
"The statement doesn't say anything"

That is an excellent summary!
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Burt

He didn't have to do anything.

The fact that he did is the main thing.

MJG

Just the views of a long term fan

MJG

Quote from: Statto on June 19, 2018, 08:04:05 PM
Quote from: MJG on June 19, 2018, 05:36:49 PM
He simply can't win can he?

Er... Well he could always just ensure we have a good transfer window that reflects the grand statements he made a few weeks ago, ensure the redevelopment of the Riverside stand continues to progress, and deliver timely, informative updates on those things... or am I just being unreasonable expecting a chairman to do that?
He does a fluffy piece still talking about Wembley... Just as we all are... And it was a totally unexpected posting by him, no it didn't give away trade secrets or much else, but as a message from someone who's been critiqued for not caring or being absent, as just a but of communication it was fine. But of course that's not enough is it? Every line, every sentence, every paragraph is taken apart and looked at. Maybe best for him to just keep quiet and allow everyone to make up their own thoughts.

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on June 19, 2018, 09:56:56 PM
He does a fluffy piece still talking about Wembley... Just as we all are... And it was a totally unexpected posting by him, no it didn't give away trade secrets or much else, but as a message from someone who's been critiqued for not caring or being absent, as just a but of communication it was fine. But of course that's not enough is it? Every line, every sentence, every paragraph is taken apart and looked at. Maybe best for him to just keep quiet and allow everyone to make up their own thoughts.
But, MJG, he is not a 'victim', no matter how you want to play it.   He is an absent owner - his choice.  He is keeping in touch - his choice.  He chooses a 'fluffy' way of communicating - his choice.  He announced his interest in Wembley Stadium just before we play an important game there - his choice.   He is doing what he chooses to do, and none of us can complain about that because, at the end of the day, it is his Club bought with his money.  But, as supporters of Fulham for much longer than Khan has even known of the Club's existence we can comment upon his choices and his words, especially in the absence of his 'actions' which, compared to fluff, are worth so much more.

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on June 20, 2018, 08:14:57 AM
But, MJG, he is not a 'victim', no matter how you want to play it.   He is an absent owner - his choice.  He is keeping in touch - his choice.  He chooses a 'fluffy' way of communicating - his choice.  He announced his interest in Wembley Stadium just before we play an important game there - his choice.   He is doing what he chooses to do, and none of us can complain about that because, at the end of the day, it is his Club bought with his money.  But, as supporters of Fulham for much longer than Khan has even known of the Club's existence we can comment upon his choices and his words, especially in the absence of his 'actions' which, compared to fluff, are worth so much more.
Where did I say he was a victim?
He didn't announce Wembley it was the FA on the morning of a meeting they had, its been a long time before that he approached the FA, well before we got to Wembley.
People do complain about it though don't they? Only need to look back over this thread.
In the end he's an owner who has deleted vast majority of what happens to others at the club. He's not going to talk about transfers and budgets in the detail people want, no one does at any club really.
I liked the message, it was very unexpected and I believe Wembley has seen a penny drop for the Khans in many ways.

Roberty

But, as supporters of Fulham for much longer than Khan has even known of the Club's existence we can comment upon his choices and his words, especially in the absence of his 'actions' which, compared to fluff, are worth so much more.

It is June 20 - we have been promoted for 26 days

What were you expecting him to have been done in this time?

It's a simple greeting thanking everyone for their support
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on June 20, 2018, 08:22:13 AM
He didn't announce Wembley it was the FA on the morning of a meeting they had, its been a long time before that he approached the FA, well before we got to Wembley.
People do complain about it though don't they? Only need to look back over this thread.
In the end he's an owner who has deleted vast majority of what happens to others at the club. He's not going to talk about transfers and budgets in the detail people want, no one does at any club really.
I liked the message, it was very unexpected and I believe Wembley has seen a penny drop for the Khans in many ways.
He agreed the date and time of the meeting with the FA, I would assume, and would/could have requested full confidentiality about his offer to buy until an appropriate and agreed moment, I would assume.  In other words those outcomes were as a result of his strategic choices as a shrewd and successful business person who has amassed a huge fortune.  He must know how people work to have got where he has got.  I don't want him to 'talk' about anything.  I want to be able to judge him by his actions - those things that absolutely negate the need for 'fluffy' PR releases in any shape or form. 

Good for you that you enjoy postcards from the seaside or 'see you soon' texts or voice mail messages.  I prefer the person who actually acts rather than is always 'just' keeping in touch. 

toshes mate

Quote from: Roberty on June 20, 2018, 08:29:32 AM
But, as supporters of Fulham for much longer than Khan has even known of the Club's existence we can comment upon his choices and his words, especially in the absence of his 'actions' which, compared to fluff, are worth so much more.

It is June 20 - we have been promoted for 26 days

What were you expecting him to have been done in this time?

It's a simple greeting thanking everyone for their support
I expected nothing which if you had read my previous comments on the matter you would have already understood.

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on June 20, 2018, 08:39:45 AM
Quote from: MJG on June 20, 2018, 08:22:13 AM
He agreed the date and time of the meeting with the FA, I would assume, and would/could have requested full confidentiality about his offer to buy until an appropriate and agreed moment, I would assume.  In other words those outcomes were as a result of his strategic choices as a shrewd and successful business person who has amassed a huge fortune.  He must know how people work to have got where he has got.  I don't want him to 'talk' about anything.  I want to be able to judge him by his actions - those things that absolutely negate the need for 'fluffy' PR releases in any shape or form. 

Good for you that you enjoy postcards from the seaside or 'see you soon' texts or voice mail messages.  I prefer the person who actually acts rather than is always 'just' keeping in touch.
it was an FA council meeting where it had to be made public.

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on June 20, 2018, 08:45:03 AM
It was an FA council meeting where it had to be made public.
Which, of course, he would/could have deduced the timing of in discussions before he made the offer, but he wasn't to know Fulham would get to a 'play-off' final.... 

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on June 20, 2018, 08:55:56 AM
Which, of course, he would/could have deduced the timing of in discussions before he made the offer, but he wasn't to know Fulham would get to a 'play-off' final....
considering he first mentioned the idea last year I don't think it was anywhere near his thoughts and of course the FA have to consider and talk about it to the wider board/council at some point.

VicHalomsLovechild

Quote from: toshes mate on June 20, 2018, 08:39:45 AM

Then why bother putting a "message" on a board? Unless we actually worked side by side with the guy we don't know what he's doing or not doing for the Club. All we can do is piece together the information at hand. Results, interviews, letters from the Chairman, acquisitions etc.
To my way of thinking the Chairmans letter was well timed as the Club had no other news to speak of and well intentioned. I'll read any bit of news concerning the Club. Transfer rumours, interviews, new strip. To my way of thinking it enables you (not 100% accurately, granted) to piece together how the Club are doing away from the pitch.
Any mention of the Khans seems to always end in a bit of an argument. Which is a shame as we all support the same Club and love them or loath them the Club is back in the Premiership.

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on June 20, 2018, 08:58:27 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on June 20, 2018, 08:55:56 AM
considering he first mentioned the idea last year I don't think it was anywhere near his thoughts and of course the FA have to consider and talk about it to the wider board/council at some point.
Mentioning an 'idea' and making a serious cash offer are two completely different things.  The former wouldn't necessarily warrant the need for the FA to take it any further; the latter would.