watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

V.A.R system test shambles continues!

Started by davew, June 23, 2018, 12:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

I am going to stop watching the World Cup or at least betting on matches unless this stupid system is scrapped. It is must be under the control of bookies and the time delay is while they work out what the financial consequence to them on what their verdict is! I am not a sore loser just rather pi$$ed off that that on all the games I have watched, a lot of the reviews have resulted in the wrong decision and even worse a lot of definite penalty decisions have not even been reviewed, help me out here, what is the point of this system??
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Woolly Mammoth

There isn't any point, it just reflects how corrupt FIFA still are and always have been.
If FIFA told me night followed day, I would go and ask someone else. 
Plus some of the referees and linos are not beyond criticism either, they will turn a blind eye, depending which teams are playing and what the score is.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Walsh

I've seen a lot of this knocking about. What VAR decisions haven't been right?

I understand that some decisions should have gone to VAR but didn't, but I'm a tad confused on which decisions went to VAR and weren't correct?

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Walsh on June 23, 2018, 11:35:01 AM
What VAR decisions haven't been right?

Well there's a handful of penalties that should have been given: two to England, one to Egypt and one to Serbia. And that's just the games I've actually watched. Or is wrestling a player to the ground not a penalty anymore?

Not to mention that not a single yellow has been given for diving inside the box because the refs leave the decision to VAR and VAR doesn't intervene for yellows, only for major incidents like red cards, goals, penalties. So if it's a dive no penalty is given but no yellow either.

A disaster IMO.

Walsh

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on June 23, 2018, 11:51:04 AM

Well there's a handful of penalties that should have been given: two to England, one to Egypt and one to Serbia. And that's just the games I've actually watched. Or is wrestling a player to the ground not a penalty anymore?

Not to mention that not a single yellow has been given for diving inside the box because the refs leave the decision to VAR and VAR doesn't intervene for yellows, only for major incidents like red cards, goals, penalties. So if it's a dive no penalty is given but no yellow either.

A disaster IMO.

But how is that down to VAR? VAR is only used upon request from the referee. VAR isn't used unless the referee needs it.

Syd Cupp

I think that VAR is a good thing in that it sees things a ref or linesman may get wrong or miss.

The bit i would like introduced is a time allowance for instance
a - issue happens
b - 20 second to decide, whlst game is taking place
c - if time elapses then carry on with play
As at some point in time the game will carry on (as it has in some cases til ball becomes dead) and either a goal will be scored or penalty given and the ref will have to cancel said penalty or goal to review previous VAR decision.

Where as with a clock on the decision this will stop any likely problems.

The other factor that hasn't been looked at (Thank goodness) are Corners and Free kicks where players pull shirts etc
despite these still being fouls.
As we would be playing so much extra time or VAR time !!

I feel for penalty and goals decisions VAR is good BUT it still really needs looking at even though its in the teething stages still.

bobby01

Quote from: Walsh on June 23, 2018, 12:01:38 PM

A disaster IMO.

But how is that down to VAR? VAR is only used upon request from the referee. VAR isn't used unless the referee needs it.

I was under the impression that car looked at it then told the ref to look. If the ref has made a call he obviously believes that to be correct. Tbf, the penalty for Neymar that was overturned was correct, the other one that was not  given but overturned was correct. I thought maybe this var is working now,but to give a foul against Mitro last night was beyond belief, stone bonker pen.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

S.F.Sorrow

A disaster IMO.

No, most often the ref doesn't request VAR, it's usually the other way around. The VAR-team will alert the ref when they think he has made a wrong decision, to give him the chance to correct it. But the ref may choose to ignore the VAR-team. And in far too many cases the ref has ignored VAR and let the wrong decision stand.

Twig

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on June 23, 2018, 01:55:14 PM

A disaster IMO.

No, most often the ref doesn't request VAR, it's usually the other way around. The VAR-team will alert the ref when they think he has made a wrong decision, to give him the chance to correct it. But the ref may choose to ignore the VAR-team. And in far too many cases the ref has ignored VAR and let the wrong decision stand.

All spot on SF. VAR has utterly failed to penalise ridiculous levels of wrestling in the area. It's a farce.

cottage expat

Quote from: Twig on June 24, 2018, 12:36:23 AM
Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on June 23, 2018, 01:55:14 PM

A disaster IMO.

All spot on SF. VAR has utterly failed to penalise ridiculous levels of wrestling in the area. It's a farce.

Again today, a glaringly  obvious penalty that should have been given to Sweden and not a peep from the VAR crew. It really is useless.

toshes mate

I understand that some decisions should have gone to VAR but didn't, but I'm a tad confused on which decisions went to VAR and weren't correct?
I do believe the answer to your point is the whole game is under VAR scrutiny but only certain incidents are being highlighted.  Who decides?  Why?  Why are some obvious errors being picked up whilst other, perhaps more disadvantageous to the 'spectacle', blatant errors not being reviewed?  Letters to FIFA asking 'why' will not be answered.....   Conclusions?  The game is corrupt.

davew

Quote from: toshes mate on June 24, 2018, 07:20:24 AM

I do believe the answer to your point is the whole game is under VAR scrutiny but only certain incidents are being highlighted.  Who decides?  Why?  Why are some obvious errors being picked up whilst other, perhaps more disadvantageous to the 'spectacle', blatant errors not being reviewed?  Letters to FIFA asking 'why' will not be answered.....   Conclusions?  The game is corrupt.
Exactly!!!!!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Nero

VAR is still down to human interpretations of the rules, errors will still be made, hookers will still be sent to hotel rooms and Holidays will still be taken

toshes mate

Quote from: Nero on June 24, 2018, 10:26:48 AM
VAR is still down to human interpretations of the rules, errors will still be made, hookers will still be sent to hotel rooms and Holidays will still be taken
Dear me not the old 'interpretation shield' behind which politics, commerce, every fraternity or mercenary of any shape, size, colour or creed that ever functioned has hidden behind since time immemorial. Consistency of decision making is not hard to achieve as long as that interpretation shield is left where it belongs as a memory of how bad things can get when it is in plain sight. If a referee blows up for a negligible infringement in the middle of the pitch then he simply has to make the same call in the box.

SP

Presumably VAR isn't programmed to look for players encroaching in the box when a penalty is taken?