News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What shahid said about our ambitions had we got promoted pr Wembley win..

Started by General, June 27, 2018, 02:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Just putting it here as a reminder for all..

Fulham owner Shahid Khan has big ambitions if the club secures Premier League promotion

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

​GIUSEPPE MURO
Wednesday 23 May 2018 10:56

Fulham have spent four years outside of the Premier League and their owner Shahid Khan wants to ensure the club do more than just make up the numbers should they return to the top table of English football.

Khan has stabilised Fulham since relegation in 2014 and is ready to invest in the team this summer if they get promoted at Wembley on Saturday.

Fulham play Aston Villa in the Championship play-off final and it would perhaps be understandable if  the winners simply aimed to avoid relegation next season.

However, Khan, who is worth an estimated £5.2billion, hopes promotion is just the beginning of a successful period for the club.

The 67-year-old American insists Fulham would not go up and then spend a season struggling to avoid the drop and he has vowed to supplement their already talented squad to ensure they will do well in the top tier.

Khan said: "This has been a hard journey over the last four years but regrettably necessary to rebuild the team the right way.

"We have committed to our style that is winning football but also pleasing for the fans. We've done that part and now we have ambition to move forward.

Jokanovic wants Fulham to match his ambition ahead of talks
"The Premier League is where Fulham belongs, the supporters and the players. Getting back there would be mission one accomplished. But we are an ambitious club. We want to get to the Premier League and then our goal is not to skate by, our goal is to win.

"Money is not a limitation but a number of other things are just as important and we want to go about it wisely and the right way. We have great players, who work hard, you want to see them accomplish and be rewarded. Then you want have a sustainability programme to invest and supplement it [the team] with whatever helps us be more successful."

Fulham spent 13 years in the Premier League before they dropped into the Championship and even though he has curbed spending, Khan is committed to the long-term aim of establishing the club in the top flight again.

"It is the long-term viability and sustainability," said Khan, who has pushed through plans to rebuild the Riverside Stand at Craven Cottage and wants Fulham to bring more players through their academy.

One player that system has produced is Ryan Sessegnon, who has become one of the hottest talents in English football following a sparkling season.

All eyes will be on Sessegnon, 18, at Wembley and the result of the match is likely to determine whether he stays at the club.

Tottenham have long been admirers of Sessegnon but the left-winger would prefer to stay at Fulham if they get promoted and Khan hopes he will.

"He is super talented," said Khan. "I think he has been at the academy for almost 10 years. He is a product of Fulham and is Fulham through and through. And what a nice young man, too. He is the perfect package in many ways.

"Look at [Fulham goalkeeper] Marcus Bettinelli and how he has progressed, another one to come through the academy. That is what makes Fulham special. It is not just being mercenary. It is being built the right way and the real definition of being a team."

Captain Tom Cairney and Ryan Fredericks could also leave the club if they miss out on promotion, while Chelsea have added Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic to their list of possible successors to Antonio Conte. For now, though, Khan is just concentrating on Saturday's clash.

"That is our focus right now," he said. "But actions speak louder than words and look at what has happened over the last couple of years.

"I am optimistic for Fulham but also hopeful for promotion.

"I like Slav, he is a nice guy and a super talented coach. That is why we worked very hard to recruit him and secure him from Maccabi Tel Aviv and then work with him to give him the tools we need to succeed.

"We have him under contract. I want the best thing for him and the best thing for Fulham. Right now, the best thing for everybody is getting promoted."

Khan could become one of the most significant figures in football if he completes a deal worth well in excess of £500million to buy Wembley Stadium.

On Saturday, he hopes to join the American owners in the Premier League — Stan Kroenke (Arsenal), the Glazer family (Manchester United) and John Henry (Liverpool).

"We have to have confidence," said Khan, who is flying to London for the game and will visit the club's training ground to speak to Jokanovic and the players ahead of the match.

"This is a special team. To go 23 unbeaten, that tells you what kind of a team it is and absolutely it deserves to win this Saturday."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-owner-shahid-khan-has-big-ambitions-if-the-club-secures-premier-league-promotion-a3846221.html

Southcoastffc

"We are an ambitious club. We want to get to the Premier League and then our goal is not to skate by, our goal is to win. Money is not a limitation"

I've posted this part a number of times on here already.

Well, yes but IMO you've been a bit too selective in your Khan quote and have missed some telling, pertinent comments, especially re finance.  He said: "Money is not a limitation but a number of other things are just as important and we want to go about it wisely and the right way. We have great players, who work hard, you want to see them accomplish and be rewarded. Then you want have a sustainability programme to invest and supplement it [the team] with whatever helps us be more successful.   It is not just being mercenary. It is being built the right way and the real definition of being a team."

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

toshes mate

I am not an advocate of Khan by any means as people will already know but I do believe there are right and wrong ways to keep a club, any club, on the straight and narrow.  One thing I do feel Khan is right about is the team aspect and it is something that seems and feels new to his repertoire.   As a team FFC can go as high as possibility will allow but it is so very important that Khan, himself, ensures that that is happening from the roots of the Club (the Academy) right up to the senior executives and directors who have been tasked by him to oversee the team.

It is his long distance oversight that often worries me although I do understand all the distractions he may have.  That is one part of the Khan equation that simply doesn't add up for me.

S.F.Sorrow

"Money is not a limitation"...

But that's not entirely correct, is it? Has everyone forgotten about FFP?

Sure, we can spend more in the Premier League than in the Championship but so can every other PL-club. We are one of the smaller clubs in the PL. We can't match the big clubs in sponsorship deals, sales of merchandise, matchday revenue, etc.

In the Championship we were one of the bigger clubs. We could spend more than most. This is not the case in the PL, no matter how much money Khan is willing to spend.

Relying on 6 loans to get promoted within FFP was a clever move but it also means we need to sign more players than any other PL-club to be competitive this season. And if we survive this season we will have a reduced capacity for 2019/20. It seems to me we are facing two VERY difficult seasons financially.

Or have I gotten these FFP rules all wrong? I'm not looking to start an argument over Khan's spending here, just genuinely interested to know where we stand financially compared to other Premier League clubs.

MJG

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on June 27, 2018, 12:36:39 PM

Sure, we can spend more in the Premier League than in the Championship but so can every other PL-club. We are one of the smaller clubs in the PL. We can't match the big clubs in sponsorship deals, sales of merchandise, matchday revenue, etc.

In the Championship we were one of the bigger clubs. We could spend more than most. This is not the case in the PL, no matter how much money Khan is willing to spend.

Relying on 6 loans to get promoted within FFP was a clever move but it also means we need to sign more players than any other PL-club to be competitive this season. And if we survive this season we will have a reduced capacity for 2019/20. It seems to me we are facing two VERY difficult seasons financially.

Or have I gotten these FFP rules all wrong? I'm not looking to start an argument over Khan's spending here, just genuinely interested to know where we stand financially compared to other Premier League clubs.
As a promoted side we have limirts on the wages we can spend. We would have to go very high to get near it but it is there. So unlike some on here who think we can now do whatever we want, there are still rules to play within.
Just the views of a long term fan

Lighthouse

It is not so much the amount as the quality of player. No point in putting a figure on what he should spend. We will know just how ambitious we are in a few weeks. Right now we are coming straight back down with the players left in the squad. But improvements in a few key areas and all may be well.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Statto on June 27, 2018, 02:57:04 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on June 27, 2018, 11:42:32 AM
Well, yes but IMO you've been a bit too selective in your Khan quote and have missed some telling, pertinent comments, especially re finance.  He said: "Money is not a limitation but a number of other things are just as important and we want to go about it wisely and the right way. We have great players, who work hard, you want to see them accomplish and be rewarded. Then you want have a sustainability programme to invest and supplement it [the team] with whatever helps us be more successful.   It is not just being mercenary. It is being built the right way and the real definition of being a team."

Hmmm, I'd call that common sense which goes without saying, not telling or pertinent.

People always (incorrectly) equate spending a lot of money with wasting money, as another poster already has on this thread.

There is no connection between spending a lot and spending ineffectively. You can spend a little money just as wastefully as you can spend a lot, and you can spend a lot just as effectively as you can spend a little.

The fact is that except for odd lucky find, good players will cost money. We should already have a budget agreed internally, and it should match Khan's comments by being high.

It isn't a reasonable defence to say, I didn't want to spend a lot because we'd have wasted it, it's about quality not price etc... If Khan has those concerns he should be sacking his son and Mackintosh, not tightening the purse strings.
Whether or not it is common sense, you gave a very selective and truncated quote which, in my view, distorted what SK was reported to have said.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Twig

To add my two pennies worth, I agree with Shad's proviso that we need to go about our spending wisely and I also agree that our existing players have worked hard and need to be treated fairly.  However having acknowledged all that he has very clearly said that we are ambitious and that money is not a limitation.  Whether Statto was being a bit selective or not the point still stands.

Now we have to wait and see whether he lives up to his hype, and for me this will be the first really big proving point as to his integrity and his ambition as an owner.

Holders

Quote from: Twig on June 27, 2018, 07:26:45 PM
To add my two pennies worth, I agree with Shad's proviso that we need to go about our spending wisely and I also agree that our existing players have worked hard and need to be treated fairly.  However having acknowledged all that he has very clearly said that we are ambitious and that money is not a limitation.  Whether Statto was being a bit selective or not the point still stands.

Now we have to wait and see whether he lives up to his hype, and for me this will be the first really big proving point as to his integrity and his ambition as an owner.

Totally agree. The proof of the pudding is in recruitment this window and the Riverside.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Whitesideup

Quote from: MJG on June 27, 2018, 12:44:59 PM
Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on June 27, 2018, 12:36:39 PM

As a promoted side we have limirts on the wages we can spend. We would have to go very high to get near it but it is there. So unlike some on here who think we can now do whatever we want, there are still rules to play within.
And Statto's insistence that we have to spend £80 to £100 million?  And what about the wages that go with the signing of these players who will not guarantee success? One bad season could possibly threaten the future financial wellbeing of the club. Improve the side by all means. Add quality where we can rather than squad players. Give Joka the say on who he wants. I like Khan's emphasis on the team. This is where Burnley and Bournemouth have got it right. No overpaid big egos here please.

filham

I suspect the realisation that we are going to have to spend millions in starting the new season with the playing strength we had at the end of last season has already come as a shock to all concerned.

Twig

Quote from: filham on June 27, 2018, 08:49:05 PM
I suspect the realisation that we are going to have to spend millions in starting the new season with the playing strength we had at the end of last season has already come as a shock to all concerned.

You may be right but there is no excuse, it was blindingly obvious that we would have a bunch of loan players this summer. 

Twig

Quote from: Statto on June 27, 2018, 09:12:11 PM
Another things these threads aways generate, besides the failure to comprehend the difference between how much something costs and whether it's value for money, is comparisons that don't work because they're comparisons to clubs who (a) came up as champions (Bournemouth, Burnley, Newcastle), (b) already had premiership squads (Burnley, Newcastle), (c) only stayed up by the skin of their teeth (Huddersfield, Brighton) and/or (d) spent £50m+ in a much cheaper market than the one we're in (Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Brighton)...

Sorry but there's no recent precedent for a club that's been in the championship for several years coming up through the play-offs, spending a modest amount of money and staying up comfortably... Not even close... It is a great recipe for relegation though

Plus no precedent, as far as I am aware of, of a team being promoted with so many loan players in or around the starting eleven.