watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Was it just me

Started by Beamer, July 11, 2018, 10:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beamer

Or was Dele Ali a complete waste of space today. Throughout the second half he just wandered about the pitch not getting involved at all. He made no effort to close down the cross for their equaliser despite being 10 yards from the guy, never attempted to show for any throws and generally looked as if he was only interested if the ball happened to come to him.
For the totally pointless 3rd/4th game I'd make him play along with anyone in the squad who hasn't had a full game yet and changing the keeper at half time so they all get a taste.

Jem

Quote from: Beamer on July 11, 2018, 10:58:10 PM
Or was Dele Ali a complete waste of space today. Throughout the second half he just wandered about the pitch not getting involved at all. He made no effort to close down the cross for their equaliser despite being 10 yards from the guy, never attempted to show for any throws and generally looked as if he was only interested if the ball happened to come to him.
For the totally pointless 3rd/4th game I'd make him play along with anyone in the squad who hasn't had a full game yet and changing the keeper at half time so they all get a taste.
Hate the way we have to find someone to blame. The boys played well beyond most of our expectations.  We made the semis for goodness sake!
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Andy S

Fo me Harry Kane didn't do a lot either. I'm not blaming anyone just stating a fact

BedsFFC

With about 20 mins to go, he was clearly absolutely shattered. I also think Lingard was as well. They lost a yard and couldnt get as close to the croatia midfield, which in turn made the defence looked shaky and dried up any attacking force we had. It wasnt fight or desire, there was just nothing in the tank.

When you look at Rakatic and Modric, you realise that their game management is superb. Thats just being involved in so many big games for them each personally. Nobody deserves any blame. We over achieved, we're the youngest team in the competition.

Beamer

Wasn't picking a scapegoat, overall they were a bit better than we were on then night but also seems fair to express the view when a player simply doesn't put a shift in when things aren't going their way when others are running their socks off. Doesn't mean I'm not proud of their efforts or happy with the progress the team has made in a very short time.

Baszab

I agree about Ali -- I thought GS made an error in not bringing him off for Delph or Dier after about 60 minutes - he really contributed nothing at all in the last hour he played - he looked spent

There were acres of space on Croatia's right wing to attack

Yes I know we overachieved blah blah....but opinions are allowed to be made

sarnian

Yes some players were poor tonight but in reality result was no surprise.

The media whether it be the Press,  TV or Social have hyped England up no end without taking an objective view. Yes the team have reached the semi final but who have they played. Other results opened up England half of the draw so what did they really have to do to get to the semi final. Beat second rate teams in Tunisia and Panama then play reserves in meaningless game against Belgium.
They then met an under strength Columbia and then a Swedish team who were very average at best and relied on keeping a clean sheet.

The first team with any quality who could pass and move our defence around that we met showed the same limitations that have been there for ages in England teams.

Yes the experience will do the players good but we shouldn't get deluded as to how good they are :016:

Barrett487

When Sterling left the pitch, our flair and creativity left with him. Croatia were laughing at us i presume. Rashford was rubbish today, miscontrolling or lacking in ideas and generally uninspiring. We had to play an extra 30 minutes without a spark. Alli wasn't around, Lingard went for a Big-Mac. Kane wasn't on song.... they all looked tired in the second half, and yet they take off the player who's buzzing!!!

Lighthouse

Look a load of kids some of whom I have never heard of or know which club they play for managed to reach the semi final of the World Cup. Yes tonight we were naive and showed our inexperience at this level. But I think trying to fault with any player is pointless. Too many mistakes and we never looked like scoring after we went ahead. However lots to be proud of.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Rock

Great posts. Half the team was the U-21's from 2-4 years ago that came up with Southgate. Nothing but chin held high for making it to the semi's and in 4 years time it may be almost the same starting 11. Plus Sess :)

St Eve

Quote from: Jem on July 11, 2018, 11:05:55 PM
Hate the way we have to find someone to blame. The boys played well beyond most of our expectations.  We made the semis for goodness sake!
Yes he was, lingard
For the totally pointless 3rd/4th game I'd make him play along with anyone in the squad who hasn't had a full game yet and changing the keeper at half time so they all get a
Yes he was and Lingard wasn't much better.but we did better than I expected and now have 2 quality center backs

Texas White

I just can't get worked up about them like I do Fulham. Nothing compares to the play off euphoria. Give me a Fulham fix any day.

SWSixer

Quote from: BedsFFC on July 11, 2018, 11:30:11 PM
When you look at Rakatic and Modric, you realise that their game management is superb. Thats just being involved in so many big games for them each personally. Nobody deserves any blame. We over achieved, we're the youngest team in the competition.

Modric was phenomenal. I get a bit misty eyed watching him going around in this tournament as it is likely to be the last tournament he is at this lofty level.
A joy to watch.

Carborundum

Quote from: SWSixer on July 12, 2018, 04:35:53 AM
Quote from: BedsFFC on July 11, 2018, 11:30:11 PM

Modric was phenomenal. I get a bit misty eyed watching him going around in this tournament as it is likely to be the last tournament he is at this lofty level.
A joy to watch.
Agree with both these posts.  An absolute midfield masterclass from half time onwards. England did so well with what they had at their disposal.  But it should be no surprise if a midfield involving Modric and Rakitic wins the World Cup.  Finding an English duo who can match their performance levels seems a lot less like a lucky dip with England's younger teams doing so well in recent years.  So, not for the first time I find myself taking a more glass-half-full position than some on this board.

gezkc

Delle Alli got a knock quite early on and was limping for a little while, so I'm not sure why Southgate kept him on as he clearly wasn't 100%. Mind you, he did the same in the Tunisia game - Delle Alli was kept on despite an injury in the first half.

I guess the drawback of having an inexperienced side that haven't played together much is that it makes you reluctant to change things in the heat of the action.

FFC1987

Disclaimer, I'm incredibly proud of the England setup for what its achieved and how everyone's conducted themselves to bring us together and represent us amazingly on the world stage both on and off the pitch.

If I'm going to be football critical, I think we need get better in certain areas. Southgate for instance, in my opinion, really struggled to identify a way to change the momentum of a game. Columbia is a perfect example as is Croatia now. I think his over reliance to keep Ali and Kane on no matter what, harmed us, particularly Ali. Both games was crying out for Ali to come off, he looked spent from the first kick of the tournament and we had a young, hungry player who could add more energy and drive in Loftus Cheek. The reason I levy some criticism to Kane is, especially against Croatia yesterday, he kept drifting into ridiculous areas whether it be too deep, or out wide. He's our no.1 threat on goal and seeing him drift wide and put a cross in is mental to me. I'm not saying i'd of taken Kane off, but i'd of got in his ear to stop compromising team structure and get himself in box to get a goal! We lacked creativity throughout the tournament in my opinion so hopefully players come through and add this to our team.

No tantrum in the above, just being critical for the sake of it and mean absolutely no offence by it to any proud england fan like me. Just an observation of where I felt we went wrong a few times.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 12, 2018, 09:54:25 AM
Disclaimer, I'm incredibly proud of the England setup for what its achieved and how everyone's conducted themselves to bring us together and represent us amazingly on the world stage both on and off the pitch.

If I'm going to be football critical, I think we need get better in certain areas. Southgate for instance, in my opinion, really struggled to identify a way to change the momentum of a game. Columbia is a perfect example as is Croatia now. I think his over reliance to keep Ali and Kane on no matter what, harmed us, particularly Ali. Both games was crying out for Ali to come off, he looked spent from the first kick of the tournament and we had a young, hungry player who could add more energy and drive in Loftus Cheek. The reason I levy some criticism to Kane is, especially against Croatia yesterday, he kept drifting into ridiculous areas whether it be too deep, or out wide. He's our no.1 threat on goal and seeing him drift wide and put a cross in is mental to me. I'm not saying i'd of taken Kane off, but i'd of got in his ear to stop compromising team structure and get himself in box to get a goal! We lacked creativity throughout the tournament in my opinion so hopefully players come through and add this to our team.

No tantrum in the above, just being critical for the sake of it and mean absolutely no offence by it to any proud england fan like me. Just an observation of where I felt we went wrong a few times.

Good Post. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

nose returns

yesterday we played our best when kane came very deep and left space for sterling to exploit. it went wrong when at half time Kane was sent forward and left the center of the midfield exposed. counter intuitive I know to withdraw your best forward but it was working.
On top of that young had a brilliant tournament but was exposed through lack of pace far too often V croatia and rose should have come on at HT.
AND, lingard had a stinker as did alli. it is no good saying do not change a winning team. If we had been scintillating stay as you are but we hadn't. what we saw was a top class team effort and work ethic we can be proud of through the tournament and a great platform, I hope, for future campaigns BUT for all that the manager made a massive error not changing the starting 11, and then not reacting at half time to the changes croatia made.
We remain wasteful in possession and shot shy and lingard and especially alli had not shown enough quality in too many games to mean they should be starting against Croatia.
I hope southgate learns, he is the one that went very wrong yesterday. He has done a brilliant job so far and I am behind him but he was at fault yesterday, no question in my mind.
Joca is my favoutrite manager at the moment for obvious reasons and do not like his critics of his having a go BUT he made errors on a few occasions last season and I said so, but still had 100% trust in him.
With southgate I am only 65% certain he will take us to better thing however, I think he deserves at least four more years of being guaranteed leadership unless he really blows out (he will not).

Let's see how we do in the Euros. I suspect we are still going to be reliant on a favourable draw to proceed very far in the tournament unless the lingards/alli/sterling, start to perform rather better consistently.

BedsFFC

What is refreshing about world cup football and more so with events like the olympics is it's all on a level playing field. I'm looking forward to the season. I've actually only just started to really think about it. I enjoyed the end of last season so much, I've been in a bit of a celebration bubble but let's be honest, the premiership is a bit bloody seedy.

What is refreshing with England and it's taken 52 years of hurt, is that we are now not the Liverpool of international football. We now dont think we are superior and have a divine right to win cups. You can argue with selection, but the 11 that started are not far off the best we have. We dont have any world class players but I dont think we have had for ages. We just thought we did.

We needed to score a 2nd when we were on top and eneregy levels were high. I think we would have won then as Croatia would have had to take bigger risks. Croatia's experiance won the game. Half way through the 2nd half we started to look as naive as we understandbly are. Rakatic and Modric have won 5 Chamoiuons leagues between them.

As our midfield was tiring, their's was just starting to purr. That doesnt make our midfield bottlers or whatever is being said. Theirs is just better than ours.

The good news is, we have some fantastic young talent coming through. The picture now is far rosier than it's been for ages.

Anyway, it's over.

Now the real business starts. COYW's