watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Politically correct

Started by Andy S, July 13, 2018, 09:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Fifa to investigate the FA over chants at the Croatia game. We are also told to be "PC" at matches presumably even to fans from Liverpool regarding Hub Caps and John Terry etc. I grew up in football when it was fair to take the Micky out of an opponent to try and put him off his game. Is that so bad?

Tabby

I remember that making monkey noises at black players was considered the height of wit while I was growing up. Some of the PC stuff is for the better.

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on July 13, 2018, 10:12:08 AM
Just out of interest have you even read what chant Fifa are investigating? Personally Ive no problem with that particular chant but I can see perfectly well why Fifa wouldn't want it sung at international football matches. It is very different to John Terry / hub cap chants
was  it the anti terrorist one or ten German bombers?
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Lighthouse

The point is surely that we are in danger of drawing attention to a chant that few heard and most have forgotten just to prove how PC we are. Surely Fifa could put all their energy into trying to stop the bribes and the back handers they take when trying to decide which World Cup venue is best suited for their get rich quick schemes.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Neil D

I heard it was 'No Surrender' .  I assume it is related to Northern Ireland and Loyalism.  Quite why they would want to chant it in Russia (or anywhere else for that matter) escapes me.

Westlondonffc

Quote from: Neil D on July 13, 2018, 10:54:29 AM
I heard it was 'No Surrender' .  I assume it is related to Northern Ireland and Loyalism.  Quite why they would want to chant it in Russia (or anywhere else for that matter) escapes me.
Are the IRA not a terrorist organisation?

Neil D

Quote from: Westlondonffc on July 13, 2018, 11:25:49 AM
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.  Why would England fans want to chant this in Russia or at any other football match?

epsomraver

Quote from: Neil D on July 13, 2018, 11:58:16 AM
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.  Why would England fans want to chant this in Russia or at any other football match?
same reason we sing the Al fayed song when we are not playing QPR ?  run out of songs?

Westlondonffc

Quote from: Neil D on July 13, 2018, 11:58:16 AM
Just agreeing with the OP. It's considered UN-PC now to criticise a terrorist organistaion, for some reason. And plenty of songs get sung that have no relevance to the game

Woolly Mammoth

Political Correctness is one of the twin evils of this world.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Wolf

I'm unclear whether the OP things political songs at football are a good thing, or they're just on their hobby horse
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Neil D

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 13, 2018, 12:49:38 PM
Political Correctness is one of the twin evils of this world.
I am relieved to read that there are only two evils in the world.  What's the other twin?