News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our defensive unit is currently shocking !

Started by Riversider, July 25, 2018, 11:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Plenty of people getting excited about our front line but for me it counts for nothing unless we tighten up at the back,
Our back line will make us or break us this season, we don't want to be in a position whereby we have to score 2 or 3 goals just to get a point !
If you own a bungalow there is no point in buying an expensive security door if you are then going to go out for the day and leave all your windows open.
Our defence at the moment is weaker than the one we had last season and by some distance the weakest in the Premier League,
We need a left back that is better than Matt Targett,
We need a right back that is better than Ryan Fredericks
And a centre back that is better than Dennis Odoi,
We would then still need cover at left back and at centre back,
So yes get excited about the front line, but remember it's largely irrelevant until the defence gets strengthened,
So two weeks left and lots still to be done, the way we've gone about our business up front and in midfield I'm confident that the signings will come and confident that they will to the standard that we've seen so far,
George Graham built a great Arsenal team around his back 4, I hope we can do the same,
""One nil to the Super Whites, One nil to the Super Whites"

RaySmith

We've signed a centre back and a keeper, and have Richie as rb, and efforts have been made to sign Targett.
But I'm sure the club is trying to sign further reinforcements.

Midfield players can have defensive qualities and roles - last season even Mitro was effective defending corners, and pressing opposing defenders.

jelmo

It isnt great... But like you said, there is still a lot of time to address this.

For the first time in a good few years I actually feel confident that we will address the areas of the team that need strengthening.

Also, I cant knock Odoi. I think he will be a good squad player and will keep surprising people. Also, he will forever be a legend after his Derby goal!  049:gif

Barrett487

Obviously we're confident of new defensive signings, however there won't be any time for them to develop any understandings.

For Palace, maybe we'll change system and go to 3 at the back, using S.Sess as RWB, with a back three of Christie Ream & MLM, and R.Sess as LWB. Maybe Betts will stay in goal for this game as well, to preserve the understanding he has with TR.

General

Defence and up front/wings are our weakest areas - saw a poll on Twitter asking fans that question and of 1000+ voters there was an even split between in need of defensive and attacking options.

Most people agree it seems we need two quality forwards, a winger  (schurrle - maybe one other), another LB, RB and CB to be confident we can stay up or have some sort of strength.

That's 6 more players not including schurrle

Mawson
Mitrovic
Willian jose
Augustinsson
Plattenhardt
Mbabu
Schurrle
Calum chambers 
Lopez

All being linked would suggest someone agrees in the ether at the very least or someone at the club agrees too.

Even if you focus on those we're linked heavily with relatively recently - Mbabu, schurrle, Jose and mitrovic it'd suggest we're likely to be on some par with that reasoning.

gang

Quote from: Riversider on July 25, 2018, 11:00:12 AM
Plenty of people getting excited about our front line but for me it counts for nothing unless we tighten up at the back,
Our back line will make us or break us this season, we don't want to be in a position whereby we have to score 2 or 3 goals just to get a point !
If you own a bungalow there is no point in buying an expensive security door if you are then going to go out for the day and leave all your windows open.
Our defence at the moment is weaker than the one we had last season and by some distance the weakest in the Premier League,
We need a left back that is better than Matt Targett,
We need a right back that is better than Ryan Fredericks
And a centre back that is better than Dennis Odoi,
We would then still need cover at left back and at centre back,
So yes get excited about the front line, but remember it's largely irrelevant until the defence gets strengthened,
So two weeks left and lots still to be done, the way we've gone about our business up front and in midfield I'm confident that the signings will come and confident that they will to the standard that we've seen so far,
George Graham built a great Arsenal team around his back 4, I hope we can do the same,
""One nil to the Super Whites, One nil to the Super Whites"

Although I agree we need to strengthen our defense I don't think George Graham built a great Arsenal team they were boring to watch and would not like to see his style anywhere near Fulham.

alfie

Quote from: Barrett487 on July 25, 2018, 11:22:30 AM
Obviously we're confident of new defensive signings, however there won't be any time for them to develop any understandings.

For Palace, maybe we'll change system and go to 3 at the back, using S.Sess as RWB, with a back three of Christie Ream & MLM, and R.Sess as LWB. Maybe Betts will stay in goal for this game as well, to preserve the understanding he has with TR.
I slightly disagree here, these are professional football players who fully understand all sorts of formations, so in my opinion it would not take long to gain an understanding of the way Slav plays, Targett, Mitro fitted in straight away, so why should not others.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Two Ton Ted

We're signing lots of attacking players so the ball stays out of our half.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Matt10

I wouldn't say as shocking, but it's definitely troublesome. Even Slav tried Cisse at LCB against Lyon, and we conceded 2 goals due to his lack of awareness in that position. We need an RCB and LB badly, although I think Max can play LB just fine, and even then he has played RCB for Nice before. However, I definitely want a CB alongside Ream.

bencher

Do we definitely need a new RB?

Our current depth options are:

1. Cyrus Christie
2. Denis Odoi
3. Steven Sessegnon
4. Marlon Fossey (I think)

If none of the above are good enough, I would think we will need to ship one of them out, because I can't see us having 5 right backs on the books (I appreciate we had 5 before Freddo left, but Christie was bought as his replacement).

fulhamben

Quote from: bencher on July 25, 2018, 02:37:42 PM
Do we definitely need a new RB?

Our current depth options are:

1. Cyrus Christie
2. Denis Odoi
3. Steven Sessegnon
4. Marlon Fossey (I think)

If none of the above are good enough, I would think we will need to ship one of them out, because I can't see us having 5 right backs on the books (I appreciate we had 5 before Freddo left, but Christie was bought as his replacement).
Fossey has been playing left back in pre season and him and Steven will go into the 23s. Meaning we only have Odoi and Christie. If we sign a decent CB I can see Odoi going to the right and Christie would be adequate cover
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

The Rock

I'd argue we need 3 starting defenders on top of your fav pick of Le Machand, Ream, Odoi, and Christie.

They are all necessary to keep as squad players, but others are right on here in assuming we'll ship an average of 3 goals per match with our current back four.

They will get roasted to a burnt crisp.

alfie

Quote from: The Rock on July 25, 2018, 03:19:35 PM
I'd argue we need 3 starting defenders on top of your fav pick of Le Machand, Ream, Odoi, and Christie.

They are all necessary to keep as squad players, but others are right on here in assuming we'll ship an average of 3 goals per match with our current back four.

You just never know they may turn out to be just fine
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

RoyTund

Would like another quality cb and obbiously a lb

Woolly Mammoth

We have to sign a left back and a right Centre Back if we want to keep a clean sheet this season.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Whitesideup

Quote from: alfie on July 25, 2018, 03:38:26 PM
Quote from: The Rock on July 25, 2018, 03:19:35 PM

You just never know they may turn out to be just fine

And a lot may depend on the cover they get from the defence. I think McDonald can perform effectively in that role, ( ie the holding central midfield) at premiership level and that would help our defence perform well .. as they did particularly in the second half of the season.  Target is, however, a big loss, and he made a difference in January, so we still need to cover his position. Personally I don't think Sess is defensively strong enough yet.

filham

At the moment our back four against Place looks like:-

Christie         La Marchand     Ream      Sess.

Will that be capable of keeping Palace in check. for 90 minutes.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on July 25, 2018, 06:53:49 PM
At the moment our back four against Place looks like:-

Christie         La Marchand     Ream      Sess.

Will that be capable of keeping Palace in check. for 90 minutes.

I doubt it, and I hope that will not be the complete first choice back 4 on that day, otherwise it could be a much more difficult season.

Never forget your Roots.

GJB

Christie Odoi Ream Le Marchand with Sess on the wing surely?

Also, have people seen enough of Le Marchand to disregard him as not being good enough to be our left back for the season? I haven't so can't comment whether he'll be good enough, but am interested to hear why people consider him as a squad player rather than a starter?

Woolly Mammoth

That back four as a unit is not strong enough, Odoi, who will probably be competing for the right back spot, although I think Christie has the edge. Odoi is suspended I am to understand for the Palace match.
We need a quality orthodox left back, and a quality right sided centre back.
It's going to be a long challenging season, we will need all hands on deck.
Due to suspensions, injuries and loss of form.
But we need a stronger back division than the ones stated. We are two quality defenders shy, and that's minimum.

Never forget your Roots.