News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our defensive unit is currently shocking !

Started by Riversider, July 25, 2018, 11:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Well then, this thread was started 11 days ago, and since then we've added one (very good) defender, who won't be available unfortunately until after the International break,
We have just 6 days to go until the first game of the season, how the bloody hell have we got ourselves in to such a mess ?
It's been said that we need to "upgrade " all over the pitch, so I have a question for you all,
Is Cyrus Christie an upgrade on Ryan Fredericks, yes or no ?
If you answered no, do you think we need a new right back, yes or no ?
If you've answered yes, that means we need a right back, a left back, and a right footed centre back brought in over the next 6 days , will it happen ?
Yes I think it will , BUT, will our defence be a cohesive unit against Crystal Palace ? Not a hope in hell.
Do I worry for us over the season, no not really, do I worry for us over the first 4 games , yes I do !
In Crystal Palace we must have one of the worst opponents that we could have faced, a team who's strength is it's attacking prowess and a team that isn't weighed down by any exertion at the World Cup,
A baptism of fire next Saturday I fear, but things will get better.
COYSW

filham

We have been waiting a few years for a really strong centre back, he arrives about a week before our first premier match and we now realise he is recovering from a knee operation and will probably watch the match from the stands with  Odoi our suspended centre back.

Fulhamish in action right at the beginning of our premiership comeback.

Palace and Spurs are going to have a field day against our weak back four.

Milo

We need to sign:

A LB better than Targett
A RB better than Christie.

Both are Championship full backs. Our style means full back is essential for getting the ball out of defence and starting moves.

bornafulhamfan

Quote from: Milo on August 05, 2018, 01:05:11 PM
We need to sign:

A LB better than Targett
A RB better than Christie.

Both are Championship full backs. Our style means full back is essential for getting the ball out of defence and starting moves.

Agree with you. Tierney and Clyne would be ideal for me. Think Clyne isn't that unrealistic because he's third choice at Liverpool.

Lighthouse

We will be signing a central defender, loan or otherwise. We will be signing a left back. We may or may not be signing a central midfielder. But a right back and a forward despite the need will I doubt be coming.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Tonywa

We looked dreadful at the back yesterday and to be frank Celta Vigo could have scored four or five if their finishing had been a bit better.  Sadly I thought Kevin Mac looked all over the place, Ream was slow and showed little sign of forming an effective partnership with Le Marchant.  Christie was OK, but not outstanding and as usual at LB Sess looked something of a fish out of water.   Quite seriously worried at our ability to stay in the Premier unless some more strong recruitment is undertaken.   Those wanting us to start the season with last year's line-up couldn't be more wrong judging by yesterday's showing..

hovewhite

Quote from: Tonywa on August 05, 2018, 03:07:43 PM
We looked dreadful at the back yesterday and to be frank Celta Vigo could have scored four or five if their finishing had been a bit better.  Sadly I thought Kevin Mac looked all over the place, Ream was slow and showed little sign of forming an effective partnership with Le Marchant.  Christie was OK, but not outstanding and as usual at LB Sess looked something of a fish out of water.   Quite seriously worried at our ability to stay in the Premier unless some more strong recruitment is undertaken.   Those wanting us to start the season with last year's line-up couldn't be more wrong judging by yesterday's showing..
not watching friendly will take your opinion if it proves to be the case then slav,TK have a lot to do this week.I am watching the first 5 games as I want to see us adjust to life back with the big boys!

Lighthouse

Quote from: Tonywa on August 05, 2018, 03:07:43 PM

Well our line up from last season has all but gone. Both full backs gone and Odoi suspended. Only we could replace him with a centre half who is unavailable for at least a month or so.

RoyTund

Surprised it appears yesterday's friendly was the wake up call for how bad we could be at the back. It wasn't a strength in the championship and we are Targett, kalas and Fredericks lighter.

Mince n Tatties

Whats more shocking is I went out for a stroll earlier and on my return went to the freezer to find my wife had eaten the last of the ice cream.😬

hovewhite

I love the idea of offensive players coming in,it's in true Fulham style,coaches like George Graham and Alex fuergerson would always build from the back,so here we are 1 defensive left side CB with a week left and no RF CB,no left FB needed like first in !going to be an interesting week.coyw.

Riversider

Quote from: RoyTund on August 05, 2018, 03:58:37 PM
Surprised it appears yesterday's friendly was the wake up call for how bad we could be at the back. It wasn't a strength in the championship and we are Targett, kalas and Fredericks lighter.

To be fair Roy this thread started long before yesterday, the warning signs have been there a while.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Riversider on August 05, 2018, 04:23:57 PM
Quote from: RoyTund on August 05, 2018, 03:58:37 PM

To be fair Roy this thread started long before yesterday, the warning signs have been there a while.

Yes I don't think yesterday was a shock to any fan. The point is that if we were in a division lower starting with the present back four we would be wetting ourselves. We may have hoped that our new players would somehow have shown enough quality to make us feel reassured. But they didn't and so the pressure on our back four will be considerable. But time yet to rectify the situation. But only just.

Riversider

Quote from: Riversider on July 25, 2018, 11:00:12 AM
Plenty of people getting excited about our front line but for me it counts for nothing unless we tighten up at the back,
Our back line will make us or break us this season, we don't want to be in a position whereby we have to score 2 or 3 goals just to get a point !
If you own a bungalow there is no point in buying an expensive security door if you are then going to go out for the day and leave all your windows open.
Our defence at the moment is weaker than the one we had last season and by some distance the weakest in the Premier League,
We need a left back that is better than Matt Targett,
We need a right back that is better than Ryan Fredericks
And a centre back that is better than Dennis Odoi,
We would then still need cover at left back and at centre back,
So yes get excited about the front line, but remember it's largely irrelevant until the defence gets strengthened,
So two weeks left and lots still to be done, the way we've gone about our business up front and in midfield I'm confident that the signings will come and confident that they will to the standard that we've seen so far,
George Graham built a great Arsenal team around his back 4, I hope we can do the same,
""One nil to the Super Whites, One nil to the Super Whites"

This thread was started in July by a mere humble Fulham supporter, I could see danger ahead, I could see the warning signs, , shame more people at the club getting paid millions weren't slightly more proactive, 
That back 4 witnessed today is 100% relegation material, if Mitrovic was to suffer an injury that kept him out for 5 or 6 games I don't think we would pick up a single point in that time,
You would hope that work has already started on the January transfer window and pray that we are still in touch by the time it comes around,
How you can spend over a £100 million in one window and yet look so bad defensively is beyond me.

JoelH5

You almost sound pleased, just so you can say you were right.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Woolly Mammoth

Cannot disagree  too much with what you have said on this thread. But isn't that what coaches/ managers and trainers are for. To coach defences into a unit, and condition players, and use training drills to get the players into shape with a system of play.
So having said that, on that basis, it's not all doom and gloom.
Because I reckon the club has the material, ie the players, it's a question as how long will it take to drill these defenders and the rest of the team, to make themselves difficult to score against.
We were too square today at times, and very rarely did players look across the line.
Sometimes we defended too deep, other times we pushed up too far.
So I would like to think that our coaches have identified what needs to be improved, and work on it through the week in training, and every week until we get it right, that's what coaches and trainers are for.
So by now everyone at the club should know what needs to be improved and worked on, for the sake of the clubs survival in this Division.
Because I do think writing off players this early is a little premature as there is potential, but plenty of room for improvement, including conditioning and match fitness.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Bryan, Le Merchand, Mensah, Mawson, Chambers. Five defenders grabbed in some desperation during the summer, are any of them better than players that were here last season.

I think I would feel safer with:-

Fredericks , Odoi, Ream, Targett

JoelH5

Quote from: filham on September 22, 2018, 10:00:14 PM
Bryan, Le Merchand, Mensah, Mawson, Chambers. Five defenders grabbed in some desperation during the summer, are any of them better than players that were here last season.

Fredericks would get caught forward way too much in this league, like West Ham have already found out, hence he doesn't play.

Odoi. He was excellent today but it's not like he hasn't made mistakes so far this season.

Ream, Yes, I think he'll be great but we're yet to see.

Targett faded towards the end of last season.

I think it's way too early to judge the defence this early on, especially considering it's a whole new setup against much better teams than last year.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Milo

:plus one:

Fulham76

Quote from: Milo on September 22, 2018, 11:38:22 PM

:plus one:

Agreed.

Unfortunately, despite all that money spent, we don't appear to have improved.

Mawson & chambers both very poor today.