watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (04/10/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 04, 2010, 07:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://sport.virginmedia.com/football/article/2010/10/03/hughes_may_move_the_goalposts?

Hughes may move the goalposts
Fulham manager Mark Hughes admits his side may have to play uglier football at times if they are to end their 13-month stretch without an away win.

The Cottagers' last win away from home came in August last year when predecessor Roy Hodgson guided the Cottagers to a 1-0 victory over Portsmouth at Fratton Park on the opening day of last season.

The Londoners have failed to win on the road so far under Hughes' stewardship despite taking the lead at Blackpool and West Ham.

Saturday's stalemate at Upton Park could have been prevented had Brede Hangeland not carelessly misplaced a pass on the edge of his box in the build-up to Frederic Piquionne's 51st-minute equaliser.

Hughes is proud of the attractive game he has instilled within the Fulham camp since his appointment this summer but admits he may have to sacrifice that to end the team's awayday hoodoo.

"We overplayed to our cost unfortunately," said Hughes, whose side went in 1-0 up at the break thanks to Clint Dempsey's goal. "We are a good side and we want to play a certain way but maybe away from home that attitude and that philosophy has to be tempered a little bit and you have to know when it's right to clear your lines, regroup and get a view of what's going on."

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/10/3/1728041/fulhams-style-of-play-should-start-paying-off-with-victories-opinion?
Fulham's Style Of Play Should Start Paying Off With Victories - Opinion

It is easy to look at all the draws and think something is wrong with Fulham. However, I actually feel the exact opposite right now. I think Fulham are on the verge of breaking out, and stringing together several wins. The main reason I feel this way is definitely the "style of play" Fulham have been showing since Mark Hughes has taken over.

Under Hughes I have noticed a club that is much more offensive minded than the teams coached by Roy Hodgson. The first proof of this style difference has been the play of Dickson Etuhu. He is much more involved in the offensive play with Fulham this season. Under Roy Hodgson he was mostly used as a defensive central midfielder.

The second proof of this style has been the play of Simon Davies. He has been much more involved this season with trying to create scoring chances.

The third evidence of a more offensive approach this season has to be Fulham's play on the road. Under Roy Hodgson, Fulham seemed to play more for a draw than go for a win away from Craven Cottage. There is no question that under Hughes, Fulham are going for the win when they have played on the road this season.

For example, in Saturday's game on the road against West Ham, Fulham continually pushed forward to get the win at Upton Park. The Cottagers were not sitting back with a lead. They were up 1-0 going into the second half. Fulham came out and immediately created a scoring chance with Clint Dempsey.

Unfortunately, Brede Hangeland made a mistake which eventually led to the West Ham goal. There was plenty of time left in the second half with the scored tied at 1-1. Would Fulham play for the draw? The answer to that question was absolutely not.

Fulham would push forward and create several scoring chances. Clint Dempsey had a one on one chance with Robert Green. Dickson Etuhu also had a header on net that was nicely saved by Robert Green. In stoppage time Diomansy Kamara had a great opportunity to score. His shot just went over the bar.

The reason for pointing out these scoring chances is to demonstrate the different approach to an away game under Hughes for Fulham. The Cottagers wanted all three points from this game.

Hughes is putting his club in position to win every week. If you play for a draw on the road, you are probably going to drop points. You are not giving yourself a chance to win.

The current Fulham side have the mentality to push forward and create scoring chances. The more scoring opportunities you create, the better odds you have of actually scoring. Do they leave themselves open to counter-attacks?  I would say Fulham have left themselves vulnerable, but the Cottagers defense is so strong that I think this approach is worth the risk.

Another reason to be optimistic about possible future victories has to be the return of two strikers coming back soon. Moussa Dembele could be back in action shortly after the international break. Andy Johnson is working himself back into shape, and could be in the Fulham lineup in the upcoming weeks.

With Fulham adding weapons to their offensive style of play I have to believe the victories should be coming soon. As Fulham get healthy, and keep playing this style, the Cottagers could be on their way to a successful season.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1317425/Barclays-Premier-League--Saturday-talking-points.html?
Barclays Premier League - Saturday talking points

Sinking feeling

Avram Grant has spent an incredible 194 days at the bottom of the Premier League since taking over at Portsmouth on Nov 26, but he's confident he can steer West Ham to safety, despite the 1-1 draw with Fulham which left him back in the basement.
'We are not a team to be at the bottom of the league, we are not a team for relegation,' he said defiantly.
Green v Dempsey - the rematch
Some 112 days after Clint Dempsey wrecked Rob Green's World Cup, they met again.
3min: Dempsey sets himself, Green stands firm, the American pulls his shot wide.
33min: Dempsey scores with a volley past the (blameless) West Ham keeper.
48min: Eddie Johnson passes, Dempsey shoots, beats Green but clips the crossbar.
58min: Dempsey in again but Green smothers.
Verdict: Dempsey's day again - just . . .

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1317425/Barclays-Premier-League--Saturday-talking-points.html?#ixzz11N0RGLqS

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6425448,00.html?
Hughes wants ugly display
Cottagers boss says away win is just around the corner

Fulham manager Mark Hughes believes his side may need to play ugly if they are going to pick up an away win in the Premier League.

The Cottagers squandered a 1-0 lead at West Ham on Saturday to end up drawing 1-1 with the Hammers, despite Clint Dempsey's opening goal.

It means the West Londoners have now gone 13 months without an away victory - the last triumph on the road coming at Portsmouth on the opening day of the last campaign.

Hughes admits Fulham could perhaps have sealed a win on Saturday had they been more defensive after taking the lead, and hints that attacking play may have to be sacrificed in the future.

"We overplayed to our cost unfortunately," he said.

"We are a good side and we want to play a certain way but maybe away from home that attitude and that philosophy has to be tempered a little bit and you have to know when it's right to clear your lines, regroup and get a view of what's going on.

"After the break they changed the shape a bit. At that stage you maybe have to be a bit cold minded and realise that maybe it's not the time to play football and you have to clear your lines instead and get an understanding of what changes the opposition have made but we just continued to play in the same way, which is to our credit."

Quality

Despite the draw, Hughes believes an away win is just around the corner and says it is a matter of belief.

"It's only a matter of time given the quality that we have got before we turn the draws into victories," the former Blackburn boss added.

"I have a good group of players. I have a lot of technical players that, certainly away from home, maybe bear the scars of not having won enough times on the road.

"We have to overcome that and we are conscious of it but I'm not scared by it or feeling bogged down by it."

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/10/03/balance-4/?
Balance

Time to dig into the numbers again.

Based on all games so far this season.
Key:  S=total shots, SA=shots against, DIFF=difference (i.e. is a team shooting more than opponents?)
%SOT=% of shots on target, R=rank, %SAOT=% of shots against on target, R=rank
BALANCE is defence rank – attack rank, e.g. is this skewed one way or another?
R on the far right is a 'defensiveness' rank, which is the rank of % shots on target allowed and the inverse of % shots on target

What this whole thing is the assumption that if a team is very defensive, getting men behind the ball, opponents will struggle to get shots on target.  Think it through:  if you have one defender and four attackers in the area the forwards should get a good shot in; if there are eight defenders they should be able to mark, cover and harrass the forwards, and shots will be wayward.   It's not perfect, but a surprisingly good way of seeing where teams' priorities lie.

So look at the rankings on the far right.  Spurs are the most 'open' side in the league by this method, with very strong attacking commitment and fairly poor ability to close down shots the other way.   At the other end are Sunderland, Liverpool and Fulham.    Surprise, surprise!

We're still not getting enough good shots in (46% on target) and are defending pretty well.   Liverpool are brilliant at stopping opponents getting good shots in, but at the expense of their attack.  The best teams seem to have a very small 'balance' number, which suggests that outliers in this category need adjustments (or for our best forwards to come back from injury).

WhiteJC

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/1004/1224280311552.html
Duff likely to recover in time for selection

REP OF IRELAND SQUAD NEWS: GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI looks set to have a full Republic of Ireland squad available for Friday's European Championship qualifier against Russia with Damien Duff - the only injury casualty from the weekend's club games - expected to be passed fit to play by the FAI's medical staff this afternoon.

Duff picked up a head wound in Saturday's draw between Fulham and West Ham and while the Dubliner subsequently appeared to be limping as he left the pitch 20 minutes before the end, it is believed that the cut above his eye was his only significant injury.

The winger arrived back home last night and will report along with the rest of the players to the squad's Portmarnock hotel at noon today when he will be assessed

However, the feeling last night was that he will be ready to compete for a place in Friday evening's starting line-up and, it is hoped, next Tuesday's in Slovakia, after missing the opening two games of the campaign due to a calf strain.

Duff has traditionally been an automatic starter for the team but he perhaps faces a greater challenge now for his place than he has been used to with both Aiden McGeady and Liam Lawrence giving Trapattoni very strong alternatives with their form of late.

Lawrence continued to thrive at his new club Portsmouth over the weekend, laying on one goal and scoring the other - his second successful spot kick of the week - as Portsmouth came from two down to secure a point at Middlesbrough.

McGeady, meanwhile, won considerable praise from the Italian in Duff's absence last month and the former Celtic player helped his new club, Spartak Moscow, to maintain its recent improvement in form yesterday, playing all 90 minutes of a 1-0 win over Anzhi Makhachkala.

Duff aside, there appeared to be few new concerns for Trapattoni over the weekend other than the number of important players who failed to see much competitive action.

While Richard Dunne made a welcome return from injury for Aston Villa in their 2-1 Premier League defeat at White Hart Lane, Spurs striker Robbie Keane failed to feature.

Keith Andrews also had to sit out Blackburn's visit to Stoke where Glenn Whelan only came on as an injury-time substitute.

John O'Shea, on the other hand, was a member of the Manchester United defence praised by Alex Ferguson after the scoreless draw at Sunderland on Saturday while Kevin Doyle turned in an industrious performance for Wolverhampton as they lost 2-0 at Wigan.

Having been called into the squad on Friday, Seamus Coleman helped Everton to their first win of the season with the young Donegal man playing 86 minutes of the 2-0 victory at St Andrews before being replaced by Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, a possible starter for the Russians on Friday.

In the English Championship, Keith Treacy maintained his impressive start to the season with another goal for Preston as the club drew 1-1 with Reading.

Ian Harte, who indicated over the weekend that he would still like to receive a recall to the international set-up at some stage, set up the visitors' equaliser with from a corner.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/hughes-considering-changing-fulham-style-play-1157011?
Hughes considering changing Fulham style of play

Fulham boss Mark Hughes admits he may change their style of play after their draw at West Ham United.

Saturday's stalemate at Upton Park could have been prevented had Brede Hangeland not carelessly misplaced a pass on the edge of his box in the build-up to Frederic Piquionne's 51st-minute equaliser.

Hughes is proud of the attractive game he has instilled within the Fulham camp since his appointment this summer but admits he may have to sacrifice that to end the team's awayday hoodoo.

"We overplayed to our cost unfortunately," said Hughes, whose side went in 1-0 up at the break thanks to Clint Dempsey's goal.

"We are a good side and we want to play a certain way but maybe away from home that attitude and that philosophy has to be tempered a little bit and you have to know when it's right to clear your lines, regroup and get a view of what's going on.

"After the break they changed the shape a bit. At that stage you maybe have to a bit cold minded and realise that maybe it's not the time to play football and you have to clear your lines instead and get an understanding of what the changes the opposition have made but we just continued to play in the same way, which is to our credit."

WhiteJC

http://tribalfootball.com/fulham-attacker-dempsey-shrugs-heavy-elbow-1157201?
Fulham attacker Dempsey shrugs off heavy elbow

Fulham ace Clint Dempsey has shrugged off an elbow he copped during their draw with West Ham United.

Afterwards Dempsey, who was left with a large bump near his eye after an aerial challenge with Manuel da Costa, expressed himself pleased that the Cottagers' unbeaten start was intact.

He told Sky Sports: "I just went for the ball and got an elbow but it happens so.

"We're a little bit disappointed with not getting three points but we'll take the positive that we do have a point and hopefully we can continue this unbeaten run."

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/8039945/West-Ham-United-goalkeeper-Robert-Green-lets-hands-do-talking-in-draw-with-Fulham.html?
West Ham United goalkeeper Robert Green lets hands do talking in draw with Fulham
West Ham United 1 Fulham 1

Kermit the Frog was right: it's not easy being Green. You try making a crucial mistake in your country's opening World Cup game. Ever since that fateful spill against USA in June, Robert Green has had to deal with its largely deleterious consequences.

Confidence is a goalkeeper's most prized but most fragile commodity, and at times this season, Green's appeared to have reached its nadir. Having lost his England place, he committed similarly facile errors against Chelsea and Stoke, generating scorn from sections of his own fans. But if Green's international career is to have an autumn, this autumn could be its gestation.

The fightback is on. Green followed a string of fine saves last weekend against Tottenham by gesturing contumaciously to the press box. There was to be no repeat against Fulham. This time, Green let his performance do his bidding, rescuing a point for West Ham United.

"If he keeps playing like that then it'll be hard to leave him out [of the England squad]," Mark Noble said. "He's made a couple of mistakes, but they've gone now and I'm sure he will be as good as he's always been."

Noble expressed his surprise at the level of abuse that has been directed at Green. "At the end of the day it was a genuine mistake [against USA]," he said. "Some of the criticism he got was unworthy, but he has bounced back."

If any opponent was going to bring on the sweaty palms, it was his old assailant Clint Dempsey. But aside from a first-half goal which Green could do nothing about, he kept him at bay. He also made late saves from Simon Davies and Dickson Etuhu which extended West Ham's unbeaten run to four games.

But despite Green's heroics and Frédéric Piquionne's second-half header, West Ham are at the foot of the table once more. "We are not a team to be at the bottom of the league, we are not a team for relegation. We play football to be in a better place," Avram Grant said.

Mark Hughes was satisfied after extending his side's unbeaten start to the season. "I hadn't realised what talent there is here, and that makes my job less stressful," he said.

"I got bogged down for 12-14 months at Manchester City with things that were away from the pitch. But at Fulham everything is set up in the best possible way."

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/04/west-ham-united-fulham-premier-league?
Mark Hughes regains zest with Fulham while West Ham see cause for hope
• Fulham maintain unbeaten record at Upton Park
• West Ham show signs of steady improvement

Mark Hughes would balk at the suggestion that he is a man reborn after his seven‑month break from the game but the perky, purposeful manner with which he has begun his tenure as Fulham manager marks a stark contrast with the drawn and drained character so brutally sacked by Manchester City.

"I've put weight back on, that's why I look better," he said, after watching his side retain their unbeaten record with a sixth draw in seven games.

"[City] is a chapter in my footballing life that was closed and this is another one. I'm really pleased with my decision to come to Fulham. I hadn't realised what talent there is here – not just in the team but around the club.

"That makes my job less stressful in terms of how you spread your energy because I got bogged down for possibly 12 to 14 months in my job at City with things that were away from the pitch. That can change your focus but at Fulham everything is set up in terms of allowing me to prepare my team in the best possible way so it's a great job."

While his side sit with Manchester United as the division's only unbeaten sides, there will need to be some fine-tuning. It was strange to see that Hughes, one of the finest centre-forwards of his generation, had dropped Zoltan Gera in favour of Eddie Johnson – a fast but loose striker who last started a Premier League game two and a half years ago.

Clint Dempsey, whose crisp volley put Fulham ahead, did his best to turn possession into a goal threat but, with Bobby Zamora out until the new year, the expected return of Moussa Dembélé and Andy Johnson to face Tottenham Hotspur in a fortnight could be a moment to savour. Maybe then there will be fewer draws.

West Ham are building an unbeaten run of their own – four games in all competitions – and, although they remain bottom of the league, they stand four points behind Fulham in ninth. Their defence is improving, Robert Green impressed again and there are signs of a partnership between their goalscorer Frédéric Piquionne and Victor Obinna.

"I think we'd have lost this game three weeks ago," said Mark Noble, one of West Ham's brighter sparks. "We are sticking together as a team and in Carlton Cole, Piquionne and Obinna we have forwards that can scare teams."

In Avram Grant West Ham have a manager who has experience relevant to their plight – he has spent the past year at the foot of the table, although he was keen to explain the distinction between Portsmouth and his current club.

"It's different to last season," he said, laughing off suggestions that he was the crucial common denominator between the two campaigns. "Portsmouth were not just a team at the bottom of the league, it was a package of problems that got worse every week."

"It was not easy up to 31 August because there were a lot of question marks about who was going and coming from the club. We are not a team to be at the bottom of the league, not a team for relegation. I like our spirit."

Man of the match Clint Dempsey (Fulham)

WhiteJC

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2010/October/04/fulhams-schwarzer-hopeful-of-eventual-transfer/?
Fulham´s Schwarzer hopeful of eventual transfer

SYDNEY (AFP) - Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer said Monday he has not given up hope of a move in January's English Premier League transfer window to pursue his ambition to play Champions League football.

The Australian was linked with a four-million pound move to Arsenal in the summer but Fulham manager Mark Hughes refused to let him go.

Schwarzer, 37, said he can see time running out and admitted the recent disappointment of the failed move was among the toughest times of his career.

"It was probably one of my hardest periods ever," Schwarzer told reporters after arriving in Sydney for next weekend's friendly international against World Cup quarter-finalists Paraguay.

"This is the only time in my career I have ever tried to force an issue," he said.

"I don't have time on my side. If you were a 30-year-old you would walk away and say 'fair enough, I understand'.

"But I'm almost 38 and I want to fulfil an ambition. The sheer opportunity that was there ..."

Schwarzer said while he had been happy at Craven Cottage, any footballer would be "crazy" to turn down the chance to play with the elite at Champions League level.

"That was very flattering, but sometimes you've just got to grin and bear it and just get on with normal life again as much as possible," he said.

"You just have to get your head down and work as hard as possible.

"It can affect your day-to-day life, and ultimately I am judged on how I perform week in, week out.

"If that performance drops, then no club is going to be interested in me.

"The bottom line is I've got to play well wherever I am."

Schwarzer said a move was still a possibility in the next transfer window.

"A lot can happen between now and January. What will be will be," he said.

"If there's an opportunity in January, then we'll explore it."

Tom

Quote from: WhiteJC on October 04, 2010, 08:20:52 AM
http://www.soccerway.com/news/2010/October/04/fulhams-schwarzer-hopeful-of-eventual-transfer/?
Fulham´s Schwarzer hopeful of eventual transfer

SYDNEY (AFP) - Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer said Monday he has not given up hope of a move in January's English Premier League transfer window to pursue his ambition to play Champions League football.

The Australian was linked with a four-million pound move to Arsenal in the summer but Fulham manager Mark Hughes refused to let him go.

Schwarzer, 37, said he can see time running out and admitted the recent disappointment of the failed move was among the toughest times of his career.

"It was probably one of my hardest periods ever," Schwarzer told reporters after arriving in Sydney for next weekend's friendly international against World Cup quarter-finalists Paraguay.

"This is the only time in my career I have ever tried to force an issue," he said.

"I don't have time on my side. If you were a 30-year-old you would walk away and say 'fair enough, I understand'.

"But I'm almost 38 and I want to fulfil an ambition. The sheer opportunity that was there ..."

Schwarzer said while he had been happy at Craven Cottage, any footballer would be "crazy" to turn down the chance to play with the elite at Champions League level.

"That was very flattering, but sometimes you've just got to grin and bear it and just get on with normal life again as much as possible," he said.

"It can affect your day-to-day life, and ultimately I am judged on how I perform week in, week out.

Schwarzer said a move was still a possibility in the next transfer window.

"A lot can happen between now and January. What will be will be," he said.

This guys act is tired. Good riddance!!!
Fulham for life!

WhiteJC

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1312402.html?cid=rssfeed&att=
Schwarzer still keen on Arsenal move

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer says that he has not given up hope of a move in January's English Premier League transfer window to pursue his ambition to play UEFA Champions League football.

The Australian was linked with a £4 million pound move to Arsenal in the summer but Fulham manager Mark Hughes refused to let him go. Schwarzer, 37, said he can see time running out and admitted the recent disappointment of the failed move was among the toughest times of his career.

"It was probably one of my hardest periods ever," Schwarzer told reporters after arriving in Sydney for next weekend's friendly international against FIFA World Cup™ quarter-finalists Paraguay. "This is the only time in my career I have ever tried to force an issue," he said.

If you were a 30-year-old you would walk away and say 'fair enough, I understand'. But I'm almost 38 and I want to fulfil an ambition.
Mark Schwarzer

"I don't have time on my side. If you were a 30-year-old you would walk away and say 'fair enough, I understand'. But I'm almost 38 and I want to fulfil an ambition. The sheer opportunity that was there..."

Schwarzer said while he had been happy at Craven Cottage, any footballer would be "crazy" to turn down the chance to play with the elite at Champions League level. "That was very flattering, but sometimes you've just got to grin and bear it and just get on with normal life again as much as possible," he said.

"You just have to get your head down and work as hard as possible. It can affect your day-to-day life, and ultimately I am judged on how I perform week in, week out. If that performance drops, then no club is going to be interested in me. The bottom line is I've got to play well wherever I am."

Schwarzer said a move was still a possibility in the next transfer window. "A lot can happen between now and January. What will be will be," he said. "If there's an opportunity in January, then we'll explore it."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6425927,00.html?
Schwarzer won't rule out move
Keeper not giving up on Champions League dream

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has refused to rule out a move away from the club when the transfer window reopens in January.

Schwarzer's future was the subject of intense speculation over the summer after attracting interest from Arsenal.
Fulham managed to keep hold of the Australian and Cottagers boss Mark Hughesrecently indicated they would like to tie down Schwarzer to a new contract, with his current deal due to expire at the end of the season.

However, Schwarzer has indicated he has not given up hope of a move to a Champions League club and will explore any options that come his way in January.

"A lot can happen between now and January. What will be will be," Schwarzer told the Australian media.

Flattered

Schwarzer admits he was flattered to be linked with Arsenal and concedes the speculation over his future manifest one of the hardest times of his career.
"It was probably one of my hardest periods ever," added Schwarzer.

"This is the only time in my career I have ever tried to force an issue.

Schwarzer continued: "That was very flattering [the interest from Arsenal], but sometimes you've just got to grin and bear it and just get on with normal life again as much as possible," he said.

JBH

Sparky should take note of Schwarzers comments and play Stockdale ahead of him.

WhiteJC

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_4603_club-focus-fulham-two-points-dropped-but-plenty-of-positives.html?

Club Focus - Fulham - Two points dropped but plenty of positives

By Matt Domm
Monday 04 October 2010

Clint Dempsey will likely never have to work harder for a goal. The pre-match build-up to Saturday's fixture at Upton Park revolved around the American's shot in the World Cup that forced the then England No 1, Robert Green, into a costly mistake. The target of the media focus was then the target on the field as, even before his 33rd-minute strike, Dempsey was subject to numerous late challenges and an elbow to the temple.

It has become a theme of the season for Fulham's goal-scoring threats to be let known they are in a game by opposing defenders - with sometime over-exuberance leading to dangerous tackles - but since the injuries to Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele the Whites front-men have learned they will not be getting sympathy from referees, and have attempted to channel their energies into scoring goals. And on Saturday Demspey, fresh from the latest late tackle, fired home the opener after a fantastic passing move - the perfect response from the American, his celebration showing just how much he'd earned it.

Since Dembele suffered his injury, Dempsey has shown he is not afraid of commitment to the team's cause, and as such must be putting himself firmly in Mark Hughes' plans, even if at first he was left smouldering on the bench. The manager, in his pre-match comments, said the Belgian is expected back soon, and the prospect of Dempsey in his current form and Dembele terrorising defences is enough to encourage even the most pessimistic of Fulham fans in the absence of Zamora.

Unfortunately for the Whites, despite plenty more chances to beat Green on Saturday, it was one defensive error that stopped all three points heading back across London. The ever-reliable Brede Hangeland made a suicide pass early in the second half, letting West Ham equalise with an excellent Frederic Piquionne header, and after that there was no further way past the home side's goalkeeper - despite Dempsey's continued efforts. As with every away performance so far this season, there are plenty of positives to be taken, such as Fulham being the team most likely to win, and the amount of chances that were created. The down side with yet another away draw, and six overall from seven games, is that the four travelling matches so far have been four of the most winnable. The Whites are yet to face a fancied, top-half to European side, which is where the real test will lie. At least, however, Mark Hughes is expecting to win every game, which will only give his players confidence.

When a team is seemingly cursed away from home, such performances simply must be converted into wins, otherwise they will once again become reliant on home form. But with Dembele set to return after the international break to link up with the fiery Dempsey, there should soon be a higher number in the 'games won' column.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6426083,00.html?
Hughes finds happiness again
Welsh coach finds passion rekindled at Craven Cottage

Mark Hughes is glad to be free of the stresses of Manchester City and admits he is loving life at Fulham.

The Welshman was the boss at Eastlands when City came under new ownership and were handed a multi-million pound war chest.

Hughes admits handling the added pressure which accompanied the takeover took its toll, with his post no longer concentrated on matters on the field.

In the end he was relieved of his duties in December 2009 after failing to match the expectations of the new owners.

He has, however, returned to the Premier League ranks at Fulham and is delighted to have found a post which allows him to focus his full attention on football matters.

"City is a chapter in my footballing life that was closed and this is another one," said Hughes. "But I'm really pleased with my decision to come to Fulham.

"I hadn't realised what a good club Fulham is and what talent there is here, not just in the team but around the club. That level of quality makes my job less stressful in terms of how you spread your energy.

"At City I got bogged down for possibly 12-14 months in my job with things that were away from the pitch. That can change your focus but at Fulham everything is set up in terms of allowing me to prepare my team in the best possible way, so it's a great job."

Aggrieved

Hughes, after handling City's riches, has been forced to readjust his approach at Craven Cottage, but feels he is a better manager for having gone through a testing time at Eastlands.

He added: "When I was at City I did a good job under the circumstances.

"At times I felt a bit aggrieved that it wasn't acknowledged what everyone in the team and the club was going through. There was a huge amount of change and we had to manage that.

"It was a great experience and I've learned from it and I'm sure Man City have learned from it.

"There are differences here, of course. I've spent £5million on Moussa Dembele and that's a significant part of my budget so actually that is quite stressful. Maybe it is more stressful in the transfer market because you have to make sure you use your budget correctly - at City they didn't have a budget!"

WhiteJC

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=829931&sec=transfers&cc=5739&cc=5739
Schwarzer won't rule out January move to Arsenal

Mark Schwarzer has reignited the possibility of a move to Arsenal by saying he will consider any offers that are put to Fulham in January.

Schwarzer, 37, was the subject of interest from Arsene Wenger over the summer and even handed in a transfer request at Craven Cottage in an effort to secure a move to Emirates Stadium.

Fulham were unwilling to sell their No. 1, meaning Schwarzer was forced to remain with Mark Hughes' side. However, the Australian believes the situation could be reassessed in January.

"A lot can happen between now and January. What will be, will be," Schwarzer said. "If there's an opportunity in January, then we'll explore it."

Schwarzer, speaking after arriving in Australia for an international friendly against Paraguay, said he felt he had no choice but to pursue the move to Arsenal, given his time remaining at the top level is likely to be short.

"This is the only time in my career I have ever tried to force an issue," he said. "I don't have time on my side. If you were a 30-year-old you would walk away and say 'fair enough, I understand'.

"But I'm almost 38 and I want to fulfil an ambition. The sheer opportunity that was there. That was very flattering, but sometimes you've just got to grin and bear it and just get on with normal life again as much as possible.

"You just have to get your head down and work as hard as possible. It can affect your day-to-day life, and ultimately I am judged on how I perform week in, week out. If that performance drops, then no club is going to be interested in me. The bottom line is I've got to play well wherever I am."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1317552/Its-ON-Fulham-keeper-Mark-Schwarzer-wants-Arsenal-move.html?
It's back ON! Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer still wants Arsenal move

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has opened the door for a January move to Arsenal.

The Australia international was a target for Arsene Wenger during the summer transfer window - but the Gunners didn't budge on their £2m valuation of the custodian.

Schwarzer was desperate to seal a move to the Emirates Stadium and even handed in a transfer request to force a deal.
But boss Mark Hughes refused to sell his No 1, dashing the 37-year-old's hopes of a dream move - however Schwarzer hasn't given up joining the Gunners.

He said: 'A lot can happen between now and January. What will be, will be. If there's an opportunity in January, then we'll explore it."

'This is the only time in my career I have ever tried to force an issue.

'I don't have time on my side. If you were a 30-year-old you would walk away and say 'fair enough, I understand'.
'But I'm almost 38 and I want to fulfil an ambition. The sheer opportunity that was there. That was very flattering, but sometimes you've just got to grin and bear it and just get on with normal life again as much as possible.

'You just have to get your head down and work as hard as possible. It can affect your day-to-day life, and ultimately I am judged on how I perform week in, week out. If that performance drops, then no club is going to be interested in me.
'The bottom line is I've got to play well wherever I am.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1317552/Its-ON-Fulham-keeper-Mark-Schwarzer-wants-Arsenal-move.html?#ixzz11O36Pwj6

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/HughesWHReaction.aspx
A Great Job

Mark Hughes believes the quality of Fulham's performances on the road will soon see the Whites claiming all three points away from home.

Hughes' side were unfortunate not have secured an away win at Upton Park last weekend with West Ham goalkeeper Robert Green the star of the show for the Hammers.

Fulham's positive, attacking approach is the reason behind the Club's impressive unbeaten League record that will stand them in good stead this season, according to Hughes.

"Away from home we're trying to be positive," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "Obviously it's frustrating to get the draws but it's only a matter of time, considering the quality we're producing, that we turn those draws into three point victories.

"The draws are frustrating. On Saturday against West Ham we certainly did enough to win the game. We're not setting up to get men behind the ball and frustrate teams – we're attack minded and trying to break the lines to cause the opposition problems.

"That's why we're unbeaten - because we're positive. It's only Manchester United and ourselves that remain unbeaten. There have been some games were we've rode our luck and got draws but there have also been games that we've left frustrated because we should have taken three points."

Hughes has made an impressive start to life at Fulham and is clearly enjoying a new managerial challenge following his tenure at Manchester City. 

"I'm really pleased with my decision to come to Fulham," said Hughes. "I think a lot of people don't realise what a good Club Fulham is and the talent that exists – not just in the Team but in the people that surround the Club as well. I've been really surprised by that level of quality and that makes my job less stressful in terms of how you spread your energy.

"I got bogged down for 12-14 months in my job with Manchester City with things that were away from the actual football field. That can change your focus but at Fulham everything is set up to allow me to prepare the Team in the best possible way. It's a great job."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/HughesWHReaction.aspx#ixzz11O89h3fX