https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (04/10/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 04, 2010, 07:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Back Soon

Monday 4th October 2010

After establishing himself as Mark Hughes' first choice right back in recent weeks, Stephen Kelly was forced to watch Saturday's draw with West Ham United from the sidelines due to injury.

The Republic of Ireland international defender sustained a calf injury during Fulham's recent draw with Everton at Craven Cottage, and whilst the injury left him deeply frustrated, Kelly hopes to make a return to action very soon.

"It's frustrating to get injured in the way I did after playing week-in, week-out," Kelly told fulhamfc.com. "It turned out to be a calf tear but not as serious as they first thought.

"I don't really go to ground that easily but as soon as I went up for the header I just felt a pop and felt pain straight away. It's very frustrating for me after having hopefully having made a good mark in the right-back spot.

"I'm progressing quite well and it's feeling a lot better so if I'm lucky I could be back in training at the end of this week if it keeps progressing at the same rate.

"I was playing at left-back before but since Carlos Salcido has come in the Manager's put me back to my natural position which has been great. It's nice that he decided to give me a chance after seeing what I did at left-back.

"I'm happy to play anywhere across the back four. You're always happy when you're playing but you always like to play in your best position and, for me, I think my strongest position is at right-back. It's great that the Manager's shown confidence in me."

Under Hughes' guidance many players have been given a greater attacking licence this season and that attacking philosophy also holds true for the full-back position, as Kelly told fulhamfc.com.

"From my point of view you can definitely see that there are a lot more opportunities to get forward and get crosses in," he said. "I think the way we played before was a lot more regimented; the Manager wants us to have that same stability and steely defensive quality but he also encourages us to get forward.

"You don't just go galloping forward at every opportunity, you have to see what's happening on the other side of the pitch – you don't want both full-backs to be caught up the pitch on the counter-attack. It's all about timing your runs and making sure you're going at the right time.

"Hopefully I think he sees in me a player who can get forward and get back at the same time – it's an attribute he looks for in his players, the ability to do both jobs. I think he's seen that in other players in the team too.

"He talks about the players being very dynamic and putting pressure on the opposition. It's great to be able to show a part of my game that I love doing."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/KellyInjuryLatest.aspx#ixzz11PLjKnR0

White Noise

Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur

Barclays Premier League

Saturday 16 October

Kick-Off 15:00

Tickets for the visit of Spurs to Craven Cottage on Saturday 16th October are now available to Season Ticket Holders, Members and supporters with a previous purchase history.

Fulham supporters have been busy snapping up their tickets and there are only an extremely limited number remaining. Ensure you don't miss out by purchasing yours today.

On-sale dates
Season Ticket Holders on sale (2 tickets)
Fulham Club Members on sale (2 tickets)
Previous Purchasers on sale (2 tickets)
Loyalty points: 1 (more info)|

Buy tickets now|

Hospitality Matchday Experiences
Why not take your matchday experience to the next level by climbling onboard our fantastic River Thames Boat Cruise before the big match.Combine the experience of top-flight football with a scenic two-hour voyage along the river, taking in some of the Capital's most famous sights.

Find out more about hospitality available| or call 020 8336 7555 (Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm) to book your place. 

How to Buy Tickets
buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0870 442 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
Previous Purchasers can only book by calling the Ticket Office on 0870 442 1234 (option 3)
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
by fax 0207 384 4810 (download printable form )
by postal application to FFC Ticket Office, Stevenage Road, Fulham, SW6 6HH enclosing a stamped addressed envelope (download printable form )
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange
* Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

Prices
Category A prices apply to this match.

NB: Blocks A and AL are a designated Family Area and are not available to  book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0870 442 1234 opt.3 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/TottenhamHome.aspx#ixzz11PN2wGlR

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/10/01/dempsey-vows-to-prove-manager-hughes-wrong-64767-27381680/

Dempsey vows to prove manager Hughes wrong

Oct 1 2010

By Paul Warburton, Ealing Gazette

CLINT Dempsey insists he will prove Mark Hughes wrong by winning over his fourth Fulham manager in four years and claiming a permanent spot in the first team.

Injuries to the Whites' strikers have meant the Texan has been forced to fill a slot he cannot stand - the lone front man with his back to goal. But Dempsey is ready to shoulder the burden after being sidelined at the start of the campaign.

In fact, the USA World Cup international has only had two full games since South Africa and warned boss Hughes his best is yet to come - provided he gets a run in the first team.

"The only way you can be fully fit is to play 90 minutes week in, week out," said Dempsey. "Would I like to have been given a chance from the start? Sure, but that's life - it's tough, but that's the way it goes. I've got to make the most of my opportunities and score goals. This is the fourth time I've had a new manager, and it will be four years since I came here. But it's all part of the process of proving yourself.

"Whatever position they want me, I'll do the best I can."

Dempsey was sporting a shiner after the 0-0 draw against Everton on Saturday - a souvenir from the tough encounter at Blackburn the week before where the American opened his account.

But the forward reckoned it was not going to get any easier at West Ham tomorrow (Saturday), despite facing a lesser physical outfit.

He added: "Who's to say West Ham are less tough? The positive is we're not losing away - apart from the Carling Cup game. Even when we do concede, we show our character and come back."

The man whose home borders the country of Carlos Salcido has also taken the Mexican under his wing.

Dempsey added: "I speak less than kindergarten Spanish - but we're communicating. I'm telling him places to eat and places to go.

"He's a good player and he's learning English, so he'll soon be speaking with all the rest."

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/10/a_level_playing_field.php

A Level Playing Field

Posted by Phil Mison 3 hours, 59 minutes ago

We all know there are lies, damn lies and statistics, but no regular Fulham follower needs convincing since joining the Prem referees have been doing us down. When's it going to stop?

It all began in match one at Old Trafford in 2001 when we really took the game to United, only for Mike Riley to swing the game the way of the mighty reds and ensure 'little' Fulham were kept in their place.

And it continues ten years on, although we're now a well established Premier side. Not only that, we are officially the friendliest ground for away fans to visit, red cards for our players come along as regularly as Haley's comet, from Tigana to Hodgson we have a tradition of playing the game in the right manner.

That is the way we want it to stay, and why following FFC is such a privilege for us all. For all his playing reputation as a hard man, so far Sparky - despite the provocations - has not sought to change our style. I predicted in my preview last week the derby with West Ham was unlikely to be a bruising affair.

Yet post match we had Dempsey showing remarkable self-control in interviews while his face resembled someone who'd just sparred 10 rounds with Tyson having forgotten his headguard. A flailing elbow from da Costa did the damage, Duff also got cut above the eye, Parker put in one typically nasty challenge (par for the course).

For the second time in 7 matches this season MOTD's cosy knitting circle of pundits were forced to admit Fulham had been denied a clear penalty - after the Vidic manhandling of Dembele was missed v United, at Upton Park the ever feeble Marriner failed to see EJ bowled over in the box. A goal then would have sent us in at half-time two up, surely enough to take the win.

Not only have refs missed two blatant pens that have cost us an extra four points, in every game this season we are being out-fouled at a rate of 2-1 by opponents (bar Blackpool). Two of our most valuable players have left the field on stretchers, and while Wolves protested his innocence at the time, Karl Henry showed his true colours Saturday with a truly appalling lunge at Wigan inside the first ten minutes. Again we see another terrible leg break at the weekend (tibia and fibia) from a player with 'form' in De Jong that reignites the debate on reckless challenges across the media today. This issue already blogged here last month, guys.

Fans dig deep to come and watch football. If you prefer blood and guts go to ice hockey, cage fighting or rugby league. If I was the club CEO I would be writing in the strongest terms this week to the Premier League, the League Managers Association, and, above all, the head of the Referees Committee insisting Fulham players start getting some protection. We are not asking for a special dispensation, for favouritism, we are asking for fair play and the chance to compete ON A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD.

Success and simply staying alive in the Prem is a tough enough task for clubs outside the big boys. Our lads are not in the habit of crowding match officials or moaning constantly at dubious decisions in the vein of Wenger and Ferguson. It's time to make a stand at FFC!