watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Test Match Special

Started by bog, August 21, 2018, 08:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Did anyone just see the BBC sport on 1 and hear Johnathan Agnew's reading out of an email from a listener about the passing of this listener's father? A quite stunning piece of emotional writing. If it is possible to hear this in some way then I really do recommend it.   Phenomenal.

Holders

No, didn't hear it. I've always loved TMS and its iconic moments - the cakes from various dear ladies about the country, commentary during stoppages for rain, Johnners, the Botham "hit wicket" moment. And, of course the one and only, late lamented, inimitable John Arlott.

Did you hear Henry Blofeld on the Ainsley Herriott cookery show? "Do you mind if I call you Blowers?" "No, not at all, can I call you Anus?".
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

bog

Quote from: Holders on August 21, 2018, 08:50:45 AM
No, didn't hear it. I've always loved TMS and its iconic moments - the cakes from various dear ladies about the country, commentary during stoppages for rain, Johnners, the Botham "hit wicket" moment. And, of course the one and only, late lamented, inimitable John Arlott.

Did you hear Henry Blofeld on the Ainsley Herriott cookery show? "Do you mind if I call you Blowers?" "No, not at all, can I call you Anus?".

I am not a major cricket fan but when ever I do hear that programme the voices give a certain rare ambiance that make we want to listen. Will we ever forget Jonners? The batsman's Holding....
No I missed that moment with Blowers!   

Holders

bog

I've heard worse from my wife.... :022:

Fernhurst

TMS still has a certain" feel" but the days of Jonno and Arlott were really special.

How many commentators do they employ these days? They seem to change every couple of overs.
It seemed to be Jonno and Arlott did all day with the occasional interjection by the irascible Freddy Trueman.

Great days with as many mixed results as present day but many more boring bits which highlighted their terrific commentary style keeping us all amused.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

grandad

I heard that very moving e-mail. Love TMS. I watch on TV with the sound off & listen to TMS. Loved Jonners , Arlott & Blowers. The new crop don´t have the same charisma.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Holders

Fernhurst

Bog
Jonathan Agnew reading out that very emotional email from an obviously very loving family is available on The BBC Sports app.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Holders

What a truly lovely e-mail. It sounds like he played a captain's innings.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on August 21, 2018, 10:42:10 AM
Bog
Jonathan Agnew reading out that very emotional email from an obviously very loving family is available on The BBC Sports app.

Fernhurst, I found that one of the most moving pieces I have ever heard. The power of the written word.

bobbo

Just listened to it. Very emotional , and so perfectly written and read.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Back in the 1950s/60s John Arlott was a football journalist in the Winter but I cannot remember his newspaper.
Regardless of that he was a familiar sight at the Cottage reporting on our games.
He had a wonderful sense of humour and I well remember his lines 'Fulham gained a corner and Tosh Chamberlain relieved the pressure by heading clear'.
You had to be a supporter to know what he was on about.

bog

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on August 21, 2018, 12:16:01 PM
Back in the 1950s/60s John Arlott was a football journalist in the Winter but I cannot remember his newspaper.
Regardless of that he was a familiar sight at the Cottage reporting on our games.
He had a wonderful sense of humour and I well remember his lines 'Fulham gained a corner and Tosh Chamberlain relieved the pressure by heading clear'.
You had to be a supporter to know what he was on about.

What a classic line that was!

092.gif