watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (07/10/10)

Started by WhiteJC, October 07, 2010, 07:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://tribalfootball.com/fulham-striker-zamora-confident-england-chance-will-come-again-1163951?
Fulham striker Zamora confident England chance will come again

Once recovered from injury Bobby Zamora is confident he will still be in England coach Fabio Capello's thoughts.

The Fulham striker is currently on the sidelines as he works his way back to full fitness after suffering a broken leg and ankle ligament damage against Wolves on 11th September.

Zamora is not expected to be back in action until the New Year but believes further international recognition will come his way provided he finds his form again for the Cottagers.

"I think if I can go out and do well for Fulham then I don't see any reason why not," the 29 year old said.

"I definitely gave Fabio Capello a good picture of me when I was there and with the performance in the game I like to think I did enough to certainly be considered in the future."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=216039
Fulham - Hodgson`s Choice!
There`s no denying that the period in our history when Roy Hodgson was in charge will be remembered very fondly.

Under Hodgson our Premier League status was maintained, with us also achieving a record high finish during his tenure, and our exploits in the Europa League, last season will forever remain etched in our memories.

But football is a changing game, a beast of a kaleidoscope that can churn thing sup and give you the most irregular of patterns. We`ve no doubt that Hodgson thought long and hard about leaving Craven Cottage to go to Anfield. Hodgson would have been divided over whether to take the Craven Cottage model to another level or grasp the opportunity to try and restore a falling giant back to the higher echelons of English football.

As it so happened Roy went for the latter, charmed by the Liverpool offensive and keen to finish his managerial career with a flourish by restoring Liverpool to the lofty perch the Anfield support have always believed is their divine right.

Unfortunately, even as Hodgson was heading north the troubles, behind the scenes, at Anfield were being played out by a cast not supported by the audience. Hicks and Gilette were never the most popular of owners amongst the home support, all in all a far cry from the experience he`d had with Mr Al Fayed a the Fulham helm.

As is often the case the Liverpool faithful gave Hodgson a warm reception, they`re nothing if not fair in that respect. Enticing Joe Cole, from Chelsea, added further to his rising stock on Merseyside and all appeared to be well in the Hodgson run camp.

Sadly, for Hodgson, seven games into the Premier League season and all has not gone according to plan. Liverpool languish in the relegation places with a solitary win to their credit. That rising stock has fallen to such an extent that the home support are erring towards Kenny Dalglish returning as the manager and with the possibility of new owners coming in change could be the only norm at Anfield.

Naturally, Hodgson remains confident that he can turn things around and that he can lift Liverpool out of the relegation zone and towards challenging for a European place basing his belief on his, more than decent, record in the coaching and managerial fields he`s inhabited for the past three or four decades declaring,

"That`s the way of football. At the end of May I was having fantastic moments and at the end of September I`m having bad moments, but I don`t think that after 35 years of coaching I`ve suddenly lost the abilities that have served me so well."

Now I`ve rattled on for quite long enough here, especially as my original intention was to only make a single point, but I can`t help feeling if Hodgson has any regrets about vacating the managerial office at Craven Cottage for the quagmire that is currently Anfield.

It`s be an awful shame if his quest for one final hurrah at the end of a managerial career that has seen his credentials become firmly established was to end in despair and disappointment, would it not?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=216039#ixzz11eRz9Ghd

WhiteJC

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/defending-our-defense.html?
Defending our defense
By: timmyg

One worrying trend so far this young season is the amount of goals sloppy goals we've conceded. I could be wrong, but I don't recall this happening when Roy was around.

Of the 7 goals Fulham have conceded, I'd say about half are a direct result from a turnover or an own goal. Let's overview them first, and then go through each:
8/22 Manchester United: Scholes, Hangeland (og)
8/28 @Blackpool: Panstil (og), Varney
9/11 Wolves: van Damme
9/18 @Blackburn: Samba
10/2 @West Ham: Piquionne

Scholes' goal for United was the first we conceded, and really the only one that wasn't a direct result from a Fulham player's mistake. United had a corner, and when it came to the old stalwart he thwacked it low and away past Stockdale.

Next, Hangeland was the first own goal victim of the season when a Ryan Giggs shot krept

The next week at Blackpool, Johnny Panstil conceded an owl goal after he failed he clear a Luke Varney shot. The second goal was a result of two things: an intercepted pass from Danny Murphy and Steven Kelly not tracking back after playing very far forward and no one covering his position.

At home to Wolves, Jelle van Damme scored after Painstil failed to clear (am I sensing a trend here?) and deal with a cross from Kevin Doyle. Jelle was at the right place at the right time and scored an easy garbage goal.

Cherno Samba's goal at Blackburn was a foul and should not have counted. Enough said about that, the better.

And here are this past Saturday when a poor pass from Brede Hangeland was intercepted by West Ham, and because our flanks were progressing forward, our backs were caught out of position. Frédéric Piquionne received a free header and knocked it into the back of the net Rich, per usual, has some good analysis about that one.

I understand most goals are a result from a defensive mistake. But to have such a large ratio of goals conceded as a direct result from a sloppy pass out of the backfield is troubling. We can really only point to Scholes' goal as one fairly conceded. Under Roy, we'd probably have more than enough cover to negate any numerical disadvantage or being caught out of position had there been a turnover. That's because no one broke from the straight 4-4 defense and midfield lines.

The importance of mistake-free football when playing aggressively is becoming quite evident under Hughes, and is something I'd imagine he works on during this international break.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/10/6/1734585/thoughts-on-mark-schwarzers-comments-opinion?
Thoughts On Mark Schwarzer's Comments - Opinion

Mark Schwarzer has recently been quoted regarding his future plans. Reportedly this summer he had serious interest from Arsenal. With the transfer window opening up in January, I saw these comments by Schwarzer, and wanted to give my thoughts on his words.

Below are quotes from Mark Schwarzer from a Daily Mail article.
Schwarzer stated, 'A lot can happen between now and January. What will be, will be. If there's an opportunity in January, then we'll explore it.'

Based on these comments it sounds like to me that Mark Schwarzer could still have ambition to leave Fulham. I think at this point it might be time for both sides to part ways in January.  All of these stories I don't think help the team or the player.

Now, If I am Mark Hughes I would only let Schwarzer go to another club if he had a proper replacement already in place. If Hughes finds a goalkeeper of Schwarzer's level that wants to come to Fulham than I am on board with letting the Australian keeper leave.

The fact that Mark Schwarzer is talking to the press about his future is troubling to me. I always like teams and players that keep all of the business of football behind closed doors. I have a feeling he is talking to the press to put pressure on Fulham to sell him. 

Mark Schwarzer is an exceptional goalkeeper, and obviously I want him to stay at Craven Cottage. However, it might be time for both sides to move on.

Mark Hughes in a very short time has proven to me that he puts the club first. Reportedly he did not make a deal for Schwarzer to go to Arsenal, because he could not find a replacement. I feel confident that in January he would put Fulham first again ahead of Schwarzer.

So, when the January transfer window opens I am sure there will be plenty of speculation surrounding Schwarzer. If Fulham find a replacement goalkeeper, I would be fine with Schwarzer moving on to another club.

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/10/06/things-7/?
Things
Filed under: General — rich
Timmy's got a good bit up about the defence.   As Timmy suggests, I think a few of us saw this coming.   The disappointing thing is that with our best forwards absent we haven't perhaps benefitted from the new, open approach.   But I'm sure we will.

In other news, Fulham Review 09/10 is definitely sold out.  I've about four left for emergencies, but we've got through two print runs now so that's going to be that.

As noted earlier, if you want to help with this year's book please let me know.   With the baby on the way I'm not going to see half as much football this season so would welcome contributions, match reports (including the West Ham away game if you went!), and so on.   I'll ensure it's a fine book and have a few tricks up my sleeve to make sure this is the case, but will just need a bit of help with the writing.

WhiteJC

http://www.oxford.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=216066
Fulham help out the U's
Oxford United who are without a reserve fixture this week decided to taken on a Fulham XI.

The U's gave run outs to a few fringe players as well as players coming back from injury. Simon Eastwood, Antony Tonkin, Rhys Day (pictured), Simon Clist, Richie Baker, Mitchell Cole, Sam Deering, Jack Midson and Matt Green were joined by a few youth players.

Oxford won te match 2-1 thanks to goals from Jack Midson & Matt Green.

Read more: http://www.oxford.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=216066#ixzz11eU6YKNJ

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/Zamora-talks-of-rollercoaster-year.aspx
ZAMORA TALKS OF ROLLERCOASTER YEAR

It has been a year of mixed emotions for Fulham striker Bobby Zamora. A rollercoaster 12 months saw him take in the highs of a shock Europa League final appearance against Atletico Madrid and a debut for England at Wembley in August.

But tempering those memorable moments has been a pair of devastating injuries: first the Achilles problem that prevented the most in-form English frontman at the time from booking a place on the plane to South Africa for the World Cup, and the recent broken leg suffered at the hands of Wolves' Karl Henry.

Zamora will undoubtedly look back at 2010 as his most successful year in football, but the timing of his latest injury was cruel. The 29-year-old had just opened his account for the season, having netted three goals in his previous two games against Port Vale and Blackpool, and Henry's mistimed challenge came exactly a month after his impressive Three Lions bow against Hungary.

Still facing at least another four months on the sidelines, Zamora's frustration is currently at its zenith as he deals with the exasperating experience of a forced rest period before a full schedule of rehab begins in earnest. Stranded in a no-man's-land of sorts, the former Brighton and West Ham forward cannot wait to feel like he is actually moving towards a recovery.

"It's getting there but it's going to be a long process," Zamora said. "It's starting to get to me now as the boredom is setting in. It's going to be a long slog but what doesn't kill me will make me stronger. That's the way I'm seeing it and I will use the time wisely. It's the lot [that I miss], going out seeing the boys out kicking the ball and enjoying training. It's the day to day stuff, missing all that. I'm going to use my time wisely, get back into the gym and coming back stronger and make it even harder for those defenders.

"It needs to be catalogued and people need to know what it [returning from injury] is all about. It is hard and it is boring and it is depressing. But you set your goals and you're slowly getting closer to them which pushes you on and when you get back you can really express yourself. I'm already looking forward to getting into the gym and battering that for a while! I don't have a specific game in mind but I've targeted February/March time to get back playing - it's a long old time away but that's the goal. I'm going to work hard and do everything I can to make sure I come back fighting."

Last season represented Zamora's most prolific campaign in professional football since he left Brighton in 2002-03, when his 14 goals failed to prevent the Seagulls relegation to League One. On the final day of that campaign, Zamora scored in a 2-2 draw away at Grimsby, but seven years on he experienced a significantly more impressive season climax in Hamburg. Diego Forlan ended Fulham's remarkable continental journey with an extra-time winner in the Europa League final, but while the football world may have been shocked that Roy Hodgson's side were even competing that night, Zamora insists there was no astonishment in the Cottagers' dressing-room.

"I don't think we were surprised," Zamora says. "I think, certainly at home, we are not scared of anybody, I think we can give anyone a good game and you can see that in the last two seasons. We were pleased with the way it went and we are looking to push on. This season, we haven't got the European distraction and we're out of the Carling Cup - we've got two competitions to go for and we are looking to crack on and do well in them."

Hodgson's departure to Liverpool over the summer was a big blow for Zamora and his team-mates, who were always quick to credit their boss for both the improved performances of the team and themselves as individuals. But Hodgson's successor Mark Hughes has been welcomed with open arms at Craven Cottage according to Zamora, who reveals that after a quiet start to life in London, the Welshman has settled in at the club and even banters with Fulham's strikers about the goals he scored during a glittering playing career.

"I was majorly disappointed [that Hodgson left],'' he said. ''He was tremendous for Fulham and tremendous for myself and I was gutted that he chose to leave but it is Liverpool and they gave him the opportunity to manage. I obviously understand where he is coming from. His organisational skills are what he's about, making players play as a team. He's mastered that and you've seen that with us in the last couple of years. He's good at his man-management and getting the best out of players and I am sure he will do well there.

"[But] Mark's been spot on since he arrived, really good. He was quiet for the first couple of weeks, I think he was just taking it all in and assessing everybody. He's been impressed with the players and we have been impressed with him and his staff - we're all looking forward to what's ahead. He hasn't mentioned anything about his time at Manchester City, he's the Fulham manager now and he's focused on that - he's a professional man, he wants us to do well and we're fully focused on doing just that. He's already spoken about the amount of volleys he smashed in, he loves that one and he's dropped that in a few times. He's a very good manager and, as I say, he's come out of his shell now and become a bit more lively, we're all pleased to have him at the club."

A return to club action under Hughes is Zamora's primary concern but after experiencing life as an England international in August, he has developed an insatiable appetite for another crack at representing his country, with the prospect of playing for Fabio Capello's side again providing him with excellent motivation ahead of his rehab.

"I was disappointed not to have gone to the World Cup, but that's football and I just missed out,'' he said. ''I was quietly confident that I'd get a call-up if I carried on how I had done and thankfully it came and I thought I did okay. I got the famous text from Michelle [Farrer, director of Club England team operations] and the rest is history.

"It was unbelievable - meeting up with the squad and training alongside the likes of Rooney and Gerrard was brilliant. It was enjoyable and I thought I did well in training and in the game, and afterwards I was chomping at the bit to do it again. I may be out for a while now but I've had a taste of it which has made me even more determined to get back."

A difficult few months await Zamora; there will likely be setbacks along the way and as an injured player, an even greater level of discipline and intensity will be required for him to work his way back to match fitness. But his will-power and determination should see him return to haunt Premier League - and possibly international - defenders on a regular basis again.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/WelcomeFFCTampereFinland.aspx
Welcome Finland!

The Club would like to welcome the latest addition to the International Members' Clubs, FFC Tampere Finland after just ten members met the Club's official entry level status and received the first level of Fulham FC benefits.

The Club is pleased to announce that the first Official International Fulham Members' Clubs have been registered in the form of FFC Sweden, FulhamUSA, the Fulham Exiles, FFC Norway, the FFC Dutch Members' Club and FFC Tampere Finland.

After hearing from one particular International Member in Finland, juha yrjölä, has taken on the role as Members' Club Secretary for FFC Tampere Finland. As a group they are now entitled to a monthly prize draw, a signed kit (to raffle off), their Club details on the fulhamfc.com website and much more. Read more on the benefits of being part of an Official Members' Club.

In addition to each member receiving the great benefits such as ticketing priority, ticket discounts and an exclusive members' pack, all members in FFC Sweden, FFC Norway, FulhamUSA, Fulham Exiles, FFC Dutch Members' Club and FFC Tampere Finland share the following rewards for becoming official:

Official status awarded
Certification of Affiliation
Details on official club website (contact name, email address, URL and logo)
Signed Kit (to raffle off)
One secretary to run scheme on behalf of club and liaise with Fulham FC
Monthly Prize Draw
Find out more about the Official International Fulham Members' Club scheme and buy your membership today!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/WelcomeFFCTampereFinland.aspx#ixzz11eWG0eRD

BestOfBrede

"Scholes' goal for United was the first we conceded, and really the only one that wasn't a direct result from a Fulham player's mistake. United had a corner, and when it came to the old stalwart he thwacked it low and away past Stockdale."

I think this goal was a BAd mistake by the Fulham defence...
Scholes was 'miles' out when he hit that shot - There were plenty of bodies in there but firstly, noone came out to tackle scholes and Etuhu (I think it was) turned his back on the shot and let it go past him - If he had stood facing the attacker the ball would have hit him!

White Noise

'Inside Fulham' Podcast

Bobby Zamora with an injury update 6th Oct 2010

Wed, 6 Oct 10

Duration: 8 mins

Bobby Zamora on his recovery from that broken leg, as he watches the basketball at the O2 Arena. Plus we hear from Mark Hughes and goal scorer Clint Dempsey after the draw at West Ham.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iffc

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/44821/Van_der_Sar_tipped_to_retire_at_seasons_end.aspx?
Van der Sar tipped to retire at season's end

Manchester United's goalkeeping coach Eric Steele believes that veteran Edwin van der Sar will retire at the end of the current campaign.

The 39-year-old Dutchman seems set to be offered a new 12-month contract by the Red Devils, but Steele thinks that the former Ajax, Juventus and Fulham ace will opt to bow out.

He told the Manchester Evening News: "I think Ed has made his mind up and said this is his last year.

"He is a good pro and a sensible and highly intelligent guy who will know when the time is right.

"I don't think he will need myself or the manager to tell him that time has come - he will know
"I think we need him because this team is in transition at the moment. If he gets to Christmas and he thinks it is right to go on and the manager thinks it is right, we will make a decision.

"It is down to how he feels and performs. If he doesn't perform the manager will make the decision. Edwin will as well."

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1640/1/liverpool-rival-fulham-german-strike-ace?
Liverpool to rival Fulham for German strike ace

Liverpool have joined the race to sign Bayer Leverkusen striker Stefan Kiessling.

talkSPORT revealed earlier this week that Fulham were in the hunt for the 26-year-old but now the player's agent has revealed that the Merseyside club are also trying to land the forwards signature, as well as a host of other top European clubs.

Speaking in German newspaper Bild, the player's representative, Ali Bulut, said: "Milan, Liverpool, Schalke 04 and Rubin Kazan have asked for the player in the recent weeks.

"There are no formal offers at the moment. Depending on what Bayer say he could be sold in January."

WhiteJC

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1314102.html?cid=rssfeed&att=
Schwarzer wins pick of Australian awards

Goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer was the big winner at the 2010 Australian Football Awards ceremony in Sydney today.

The Fulham player took the Footballer of the Year title and the Professional Footballers Australia (PFA) Footballer of the Year award.

The FMA Australian International Player of the Year went to Everton midfielder Tim Cahill, as voted by the Australian football media.

The players were at a gala function to receive the awards ahead of Saturday's international friendly against FIFA World Cup™ quarter-finalists Paraguay in Sydney.

The PFA Harry Kewell Medal for the best young player was awarded to former Melbourne Victory goalkeeper Mitch Langerak, now with German Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund, ahead of Adelaide United's Mathew Leckie and FC Utrecht's Tommy Oar.

WhiteJC

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/blackburn-rovers-fc/128356-blackburn-rovers-rival-fulham-fc-for-crystal-palace-starlet.html?
Blackburn Rovers rival Fulham FC for Crystal Palace starlet

According to reports a number of Premier League clubs are interested in Crystal Palace starlet Wilfried Zaha.

Blackburn Rovers are understood to be one of those clubs.

The People claims that along with Rovers, Zaha's developments are being monitored by Fulham and Wigan Athletic.

The 17-year-old has been watched closely by scouts in recent weeks as he makes a mark on the Eagles' first team.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6433003,00.html?
Gera hoping for wing role
Hungary ace keen to play out wide

Fulham forward Zoltan Gera is hoping to play out wide more under Mark Hughes, rather than in an advanced position.

Gera does not believe his style of play is suited to a striker role which Hughes demands, whereas he does enjoy operating out wide.

The talented schemer believes that with a little patience and hard work he can become a regular under Hughes.

"I really enjoy training but (Hughes') tactics differ from Roy Hodgson's," he told skysports.com. "Hughes wants a strong striker who can run into the space and hold the ball, but I'm not that kind of player.

Style

"My best chance to play is on either wing where I also like playing. In 4-4-2 our wingers are not very close to the touchline. They can play quite free football. They can run into the centre part of the pitch. This fits my style.

"I'm happy to see that I may have the possibility to play as a winger. I'm patient and know that if I go on like this then I'll be a regular member of the starting line-up."

Hodgson worked wonders during his time at Fulham, although he has failed to make an immediate impact with his new club Liverpool.
Gera feels for Hodgson and knows that it will take time for the experienced tactician to stamp his authority on Anfield.

"This is a tough time for Hodgson," he continued. "Liverpool played another type of football before under their ex-manager (Rafa Benitez).

"I think Hodgson is trying to shape the team to play the way he imagined. The building of the team - like at any other team - takes some time."

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1659/south-africa/2010/10/07/2154671/south-africas-kagisho-dikgacoi-warns-bafana-about-conditions?
South Africa's Kagisho Dikgacoi Warns Bafana About Conditions In Sierra Leone
Fulham midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi has urged Bafana Bafana to be tough when they take on Sierra Leone in an Afcon 2012 qualifier this Sunday.

The ex-Golden Arrows anchor, who made progress in his recovery from injury, says that he knows from past experience that conditions in the West African country will not be favourable.

"They should be tough mentally and expect a tough game because they are going to be bullied by everyone including the players," the Free State born player said.

"But they should know that the country is behind them."It is not going to be easy; Sierra Leone are a good team, the facilities are not going to be good - I know that because I have been there before," he said, according to Kickoff.com.

"They normally say 'when the going gets tough, the tough get going' so I expect them to adopt that attitude, like the Bafana team of Mark Fish, Doctor Khumalo and others who once played with soldiers pointing guns at the them in the DRC."

White Noise

http://www.football365.co.za/story/0,22162,14293_6432661,00.html

KG: Bafana will face bullies

Dikgacoi: Advice to Bafana

Injured Bafana Bafana midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi has warned his team-mates not to roll over to Sierra Leone's bullies.

The Fulham grafter has been struggling with a thigh sprain that has kept him sidelined for much of his time in England. He has only managed 12 appearances thus far for the Cottagers and will be watching on TV as Bafana do duty in Freetown.

The ex-Golden Arrows captain was part of Bafana's squad that lost away to the Leone Stars in 2008 and knows what's in store for Pitso Mosimane and the players.

"They should be tough mentally and expect a tough game because they are going to be bullied by everyone including the players," he told his official website.

"But they should know that the country is behind them.

"It is not going to be easy, Sierra Leone are a good team. The facilities are not going to be good - I know that because I have been there before."

Dikgacoi wants Bafana to draw on the inspiration of past greats who played in turbulent circumstances.

"They normally say 'when the going gets tough, the tough get going' so I expect them to adopt that attitude, like the Bafana team of Mark Fish, Doctor Khumalo and others who once played with soldiers pointing guns at the them in the DRC," he added.

'KG' is eager to resume his duties for Fulham under manager Mark Hughes.

"I am hoping to be fit by next week and to be back in action and perhaps with a chance of making the team when we play Tottenham Hotspur in our second London derby in two weeks," he concluded.

ScalleysDad

"A beast of a kaleidoscope"
Now I remember why I read this forum and not the recognised meedjah.