more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (24/03/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 24, 2018, 07:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Perth Glory confirms Fulham's capture of 16-year-old wonderkid

The 16-year-old has signed on a three-year contract and will go into the U18 squad at Fulham

Perth Glory have confirmed Fulham's signing of 16-year-old Riley Warland.

The Australian wonderkid joined the Cottagers for an undisclosed fee over the summer transfer window, but his former club have now confirmed that the deal has officially gone through.

Warland is one for the future, with the youngster joining up with the U18 squad at Fulham - a side that already boasts an impressive array of future talent in west London.

He was on the bench for the U18s first game of the season, where they drew 1-1 away to Swansea City thanks to a Jean-Piere Tiehi, while he made his first start in the 2-0 defeat to Aston Villa last weekend.

The Australian came through Perth's NPL Academy after joining the club's Development Centre in 2011, and will spend the next three years in west London.

Perth's Football Director Jacob Burns believes Warland's move to Fulham is another success story for the club's youth programme.

He said: "The move to Fulham represents a fantastic opportunity for Riley," he said, "and while it is sad to see a young prospect depart, he goes with our very best wishes.

Riley Warland of the Glory sits on the bench during the round 11 A-League match between the Perth Glory and the Wellington Phoenix (Image: Stefan Gosatti/Getty Images)

"He has been with the club since the age of 9 and his progress is a testament to the hard work of every coach he has worked under within our two-star Academy here at Glory, as well as to his own hard work and dedication.

"Riley joins a lengthy list of players who have followed the clear pathway that exists within our Academy structure and gone on to earn opportunities at top overseas clubs".

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/perth-glory-confirms-fulhams-capture-15062277

WhiteJC

Andre Schurrle in, Kamara out - Fulham starting XI as Cottagers take on Burnley

Our reporter has selected his XI to take on Burnley - who would you pick in yours?

Fulham face another tough Premier League test when they welcome Europa League chasing Burnley to Craven Cottage.

They've lost their first two games back in the top flight, getting beaten 2-0 by Crystal Palace in the opening game of the season, while they also lost on their return to Wembley Stadium as Tottenham Hotspur dispatched them 3-1.

Despite the two defeats, there have been positives to take from a very new-look Fulham side, with only four of the starting XI last weekend having started their play-off final victory just three months previously.

That included a completely new back five, while only Tom Cairney remained of the vital midfield trio.

Slavisa Jokanovic is still trying to find out what his best XI is, having only had his players together for three weeks and he has yet to name an unchanged line-up in the Premier League.

He made three changes for the game with Spurs, handing Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa a debut after he started training with the club on the Wednesday before the game, while Timothy Fosu-Mensah also got his Fulham debut, replacing Cyrus Christie on the right.

Aboubakar Kamara also started the game, coming in for Andre Schurrle as part for the front line, although the Frenchman struggled with his defensive duties.

Neeskens Kebano and Aboubakar Kamara celebrate the first goal (Image: Christof Koepsel/Bongarts/Getty Images)

But how should Fulham set up to take on a Burnley side who have one eye on European competition? Here's the starting Xi our Fulham reporter, Ryan O'Donovan, would go with on Sunday.

"I could see the thinking behind Jokanovic's tactical changes against Spurs, but I think picking Kamara to have so much defensive responsibility was a mistake.

"I expect Fulham to see much more of the ball and dominate this game like they did against Crystal Palace on the opening day, and for that reason I'd drop Kamara back to the bench and bring back Schurrle on the right.

"I thought he did well on the opening day, and where Fulham should see more of the ball, I think he'll thrive.

"I'd keep the back five as it is - Fabri did really well in the goalmouth and seems to be improving as each week goes by, while the best way to get a strong defensive unit is to play them together.

"Denis Odoi will be available while Tim Ream could make his return from injury, but with the way Maxime Le Marchand has played, I can't see him being dropped.

Ryan O'Donovan's Fulham XI vs Burnley

"Calum Chambers will probably be one of the first choice centre backs going forward, so despite a dodgy display last weekend I would start him again to get him more minutes.

"Elsewhere, the team picks itself - the midfield trio of Anguissa - Cairney - Jean-Michael Seri has serious potential and need time to gel, while Ryan Sessegnon an Aleksandar Mitrovic will both start.

"Fulham: Fabri; Bryan, Chambers, Le Marchand, Fosu-Mensah; Anguissa, Cairney, Seri; Sessegnon, Schurrle, Mitrovic"

Andre Schurrle in action (Image: Marc Atkins/Getty Images)

Do you agree with the starting XI that Ryan has picked? Or would you rather see Jokanovic go with something different against Burnley?

You can have your say on what Fulham team you'd like to see on Sunday by choosing your side using our team selector widget below.

Just pick your favourite XI and share it on social media.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/andre-schurrle-in-kamara-out-15062505

WhiteJC

3 Things Needed To Get A Result Against Burnley This Weekend

This Sunday, in our third fixture back in the Premier League, we welcome Sean Dyche and his Burnley side, to Craven Cottage.

With two defeats from our opening two games, against Crystal Palace (h) and Tottenham Hotspur (a), here at Vital Fulham, we've come up with three scenarios that must happen this Sunday.

The first is pretty simple.

This is a game that Fulham cannot afford to lose. To do so would see doubts creep in as to whether we are good enough to make an impact in the Premier League, with those thoughts turning towards a possible relegation battle. The longer Fulham go without getting a result on the board, the greater the pressure will become. Burnley had a fantastic season last time out, qualifying for the Europa League, but they haven't started this season so well, Fulham must take advantage of it.

The second is a little more difficult.

In our opening two games, it has become noticeable, especially against Crystal Palace, that we didn't make the most of the chances we created. Stepping up from the Championship to the Premier League, it is imperative that any chances that befall us have to be taken. Whereas in the Championship, our attacking football created a plethora of chances, the Premier League is different, in the ninety minutes you may only get a couple of chances come your way, with the defences being more organised and resilient.

The third concerns our principles.

Although the opening two games have seen two losses, it is essential that Fulham stick to their principles. The style of football the team plays is attractive to watch and has served us well in realising our aim in getting back into the top-flight of English football. Here at Vital Fulham, we are sure if we persevere with it and with the additions to the side starting to settle in, it will pay dividends.

COYW's

https://fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/3-things-needed-to-get-a-result-against-burnley-this-weekend/

WhiteJC

Chelsea defender Kalas joins Bristol City on loan

Tomas Kalas joined Bristol City on a season-long loan from Chelsea.

Kalas, 25, spent last season on loan at Fulham, playing a key role as they won promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs.

The Czech centre-back is the second player to join City on loan from Chelsea this summer.

He joins Jay Dasilva, who also recently signed for the Robins on a season-long deal.

"The experience Tomas brings to this football club will be invaluable and I am really looking forward to working with him," City manager Lee Johnson told the Championship club's website.

"He has already proven himself at Championship level and I have no doubts that he can help us in our bid to reach new heights."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea/another-loan-move-for-chelsea-defender-kalas

WhiteJC

Grant Leaves Fulham

Fulham Football Club has today announced the departure of Senior Professional Development Coach, Peter Grant.

Peter leaves the Club after four years, having joined in the summer of 2014, initially as First Team Coach. Following the departure of Felix Magath that year, Grant's role changed to Senior Professional Development Coach where he worked closely with the Academy as well as overseeing the Club's Under-23s team. Prior to this role, Peter also presided over the First Team in a caretaker capacity in November 2015 for three matches.

The Club would like to thank Peter for his hard work and commitment during his time at Fulham. Peter made a significant contribution to the Club's success. He will always be welcome at Fulham and we wish him all the very best for the future.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/23/peter-grant-leaves-fulham

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic focused on success with Fulham in the Premier League - not contract talks

The head coach has less than a year remaining on his deal at Craven Cottage

Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic has said that contract talks with the club are in the hands of his agent. and that he is solely focused on success with the club.

The 50-year-old, who led the side to the Premier League last season, has under a year remaining on his deal at Craven Cottage, with talks having been ongoing over the summer.

However, reports surfaced over the past couple of days that talks had been put on hold until Christmas as Jokanovic looks to keep the club in the top flight, although football.london understands there has been no rush from either side to sign a new deal.

It still remains likely the head coach will sign an extension at Fulham, but ahead of their game with Burnley, Jokanovic has said that his deal is in the hands of his agent and that he is solely focused on the process of turning the Cottagers back into a Premier League club.

He said: "This is not first time I have this question and I prefer not to make so many comments about private things.

"This job is in hands of my agent and the club where I have news, I can share this with all the people.

"In this moment, I am focused only about this process, about the Premier League and competition and I am fully motivated to do everything to be successful with my team and club.

(Image: Nick Potts/PA Wire)

"This kind of the situation is in hands of different people, I am really not talking all the days with the club about money or this kind of the situation.

"I am working with the coach here, I know I depend on the results and our supporters after two games we're going to expect some points. We're going to find a great atmosphere like always.

"I'm sure we're going to find this support for the next game too. In this moment what I am really worried about; my team, about results, about getting our first Premier League points. That's where I'm focusing my energy at the moment."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/slavisa-jokanovic-focused-success-fulham-15065175

WhiteJC

Kalas targets third promotion after joining Bristol City from Chelsea

Chelsea defender Tomas Kalas is targeting a third promotion from the Championship after joining Bristol City on loan.

The defender completed a season-long loan move from the Blues on Thursday to become City's ninth signing of the summer.

It will be a third spell in the English second tier for the 25-year-old, who has previously played for Middlesbrough and Fulham – where he was promoted with each.

He joins a side who had threatened to break into the top six last season before falling away in the second half of the campaign, but he says the ambition shown by manager Lee Johnson played a major part in luring him to Ashton Gate.

"It would be nice to keep on going that way and at least get into the play-offs with Bristol City and to try and get promoted," he told the club website.

"The manager and the way he spoke to me and the way Bristol City plays – they are two key factors for me being here, and why not do it for the third time in a row? That is why I am here.

"The Championship is probably the hardest league in Europe.

"I can't compare it anywhere but Holland, but I think it is one of the toughest and it is not easy to get your place secured.

"It is very tough physically and to get promoted is not only about individual quality, it's about the team and working together."

He added: "I'm very excited to get my situation sorted and join a club that is willing to play football. When I was at Fulham we met teams like Bristol City so I am glad that I am joining a club who want to play football and not just kick long balls."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea/kalas-targets-third-promotion-after-joining-bristol-city-from-chelsea

WhiteJC

Jokanovic says contract talks are out of his hands

Slavisa Jokanovic insists negotiations to extend his contract as Fulham manager are out of his hands.

The Serbian, who was appointed in December 2015, has delayed discussions about extending his commitment to the club until after their first few months back in the Premier League.

They have so far lost to both Crystal Palace and Tottenham and on Sunday host Burnley, and he is instead adamant that their pursuit of points is his sole priority.

"This job is in the hands of my agent and the club," the 50-year-old responded when asked about his contract situation.

"I am focused only about the Premier League and competition and I am fully motivated to do everything to be successful with my team and club.

"I know I depend on the results and our supporters after two games will expect some points.

"What I am really worried about (is) my team, about results, about getting our first Premier League points. That's where I'm focusing my energy."

Fulham remain without the injured Alfie Mawson, who after returning to training is preparing to face Exeter on Tuesday in the Carabao Cup.

"(Mawson) started working with us after a long period without being active," said Jokanovic. "He made the last two training days with us and will need the time to build fitness.

"We have a plan for next week to try to use him in the Carabao Cup and then decide if we will try to use him in 45 and 60-minute periods."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/jokanovic-says-contract-talks-are-out-of-his-hands-as-mawson-edges-towards-comeback

WhiteJC

VAR at Craven Cottage

VAR will be in operation at Craven Cottage for the first time during our Carabao Cup Second Round tie with Exeter City on Tuesday evening.

Three other fixtures - Brighton & Hove Albion v Southampton, Leicester City v Fleetwood Town & Everton v Rotherham United - will also feature the live trial, meaning it is the first time the technology will have been used in multiple matches simultaneously in this country.

Fans at the Cottage will be kept abreast of in-game developments with the same notification process put in place at the recent Community Shield, as the video officials, based remotely at Stockley Park, assist the referee in ONLY four match changing situations:

•          Goals

•          Penalty/no penalty decisions

•          Direct red cards shown or not shown (second yellow cards are not able to be reviewed)

•          Mistaken identity

The emphasis of the experiment is to focus on clear and obvious errors.

In this way, the system aims to minimise any interference with the flow of the game and maximise the advantages of reviewing the video replays.

Given the subjective nature of football and a desire to maintain the flow and spectacle of the game, the system is not intended to achieve 100 per cent accuracy in every decision.

The original decision of the referee on the pitch can only be changed if a video review shows a clear and obvious error.

Kevin Friend is the man in the middle for Tuesday night's meeting with the Grecians.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/23/var-at-craven-cottage

WhiteJC

Fancy Your Chances As A Pundit, Give This One A Go Then

This Sunday, Fulham welcome Burnley to Craven Cottage for a Premier League fixture.

The game has been switched from its usual Saturday kick-off as Burnley, to their credit, are involved in a Europa League fixture, in Greece, this Thursday evening.

So far, after two games, a season that promised so much for Fulham hasn't delivered what we'd all hoped for.

Two games have seen the Cottagers yet to earn a point.

Hopefully, that will change this Sunday at Craven Cottage.

Here at Vital Fulham, we're of the opinion that we just need a bit of extra luck and we'll be on our way to climbing the table.

But, we all know luck can be fickle.

Ahead of the game, we're giving you the chance to predict the outcome of the game via our new poll facility.

It'd be appreciated if you took a few seconds to consider the options before casting your vote:

https://fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/fancy-your-chances-as-a-pundit-give-this-one-a-go-then/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic: 'Alfie Mawson could play in EFL Cup'

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has suggested that he intends to give Alfie Mawson his debut in the EFL Cup clash with Exeter City.

Mawson has arrived from Swansea City, but the centre-back is yet to feature for the Cottagers due to undergoing knee surgery during the summer.

However, Jokanovic has said that the plan is to give Mawson "some minutes" against the League Two outfit next week.

At a press conference, the Serbian told reporters: "He started working with us after long period out. He made last two days at training and he will need time to build.

"We have a plan for the next week to use him in some minutes in the Carabao Cup.

Mawson has penned a four-year contract with the West Londoners.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/league-cup/news/jokanovic-mawson-could-play-in-efl-cup_334156.html

WhiteJC

Premier League predictions: Lawro v actors Idris Elba & Aml Ameen

Jose Mourinho's Manchester United will attempt to get back on track after defeat by Brighton, but have a tough task at home to Tottenham, who have won two from two so far, on Monday evening.

BBC Sport football expert Mark Lawrenson says it is exactly the sort of game the Portuguese will relish.

"He may be under pressure from some fans to play a bolder, more adventurous style, but that is just not in Jose's DNA. He is never going to change that," he said.

"He is fully justified in some ways. In these big games his teams more often than not get a really positive result."

Lawro is making predictions for all 380 top-flight matches this season, against a variety of guests.

Yardie, directed by Elba (left) and starring Ameen (right), is based on a novel of the same name written by Jamaican-born author Victor Headley

This week's guests are actors Idris Elba and Aml Ameen, who worked together on Elba's directorial debut film Yardie.

Arsenal fan Elba says that Match of the Day pundit Ian Wright is his favourite former Gunner.

"He was just a class player, a beautiful guy, a lovely personality - he was one of the first players to make me realise that footballers were human," the Luther actor told BBC Sport.

Ameen, who watched England's games in a pub in Santa Monica near where he lives, says that this summer's World Cup sparked a deeper appreciation of the game in him.

Both Elba and Ameen made predictions but, as the bigger football fan, it is Elba's guesses that go up against Lawro's.

LAWRO'S PREDICTIONS

Fulham v Burnley (16:00 BST)

Burnley created lots of chances against Southampton on the opening day and should have won that game.

The Clarets are on a Thursday-Sunday schedule because of their Europa League campaign and have to travel back from Athens at the end of this week after their play-off first leg against Olympiakos.

Fulham are another open, engaging team but, having scored just once in their opening two games, I am not sure they have that cutting edge up front.

They also will have to cope with the physicality that Burnley test you with.

Lawro's prediction: 1-1

Idris' prediction: 2-0

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45282185

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Burnley - Premier League: Kick-off time, where to watch, TV channel; odds and more

Fulham and Burnley are both searching for their first Premier League win

Fulham will hope to break their run of two defeats when they welcome Europa League hopefuls Burnley to Craven Cottage on Sunday afternoon.​ Slavisa Jokanovic's side will want Burnley to have one eye on their Europa League qualifier against Olympiakos on Thursday, and the Serb will be encouraged by the some aspects of the display in the 3-1 loss to Spurs at Wembley.

Sean Dyche's side suffered a European hangover last Sunday when they entertained Watford at Turf Moor. James Tarkowski levelled for the hosts after Andre Gray's opener, but second half goals from Troy Deeney and Will Hughes condemned Burnley to their first defeat of the season.

The Clarets were also made to work for their point at St Mary's on the opening weekend of the season, and will be hoping to put an end to their current indifferent league campaign with a win here.

What time does it start?

Fulham vs. Burnley kicks off at 4pm (BST)

Where can I watch it?

The match will not be shown live on TV or online in the UK.

Highlights will be BBC One at  10:30pm.

It's a big game for...

Matt Lowton: The Burnley right-back had one of his poorest performances in Burnley shirt against Watford last weekend. The 29-year-old struggled to deliver quality crosses on a consistent basis while he made a fatal error in the lead up to the Hornets' third goal by gifting the ball to Will Hughes in a dangerous area. The challenge this weekend comes in the form of Ryan Sessegnon and Andre Schurrle, who will look to exploit the Englishman's shaky confidence.

Stat....

53: Burnley have gained 53% of their total points away from Turf Moor since the beginning of the 2017/18 season. That figure equates to 29 points out of a possible 55, which is a higher share than any other side.

Remember when...

The sides have not face each other in the Premier League since 2010, however their last encounter in competitive action was a five-goal thriller at the Cottage.

Player to watch...

Maxime Le Marchand : The 28-year-old Frenchman put in a commanding display at the heart of the Fulham back four at Wembley last weekend and helped partner Calum Chambers come through some shaky moments. Putting in a number of strong tackles and blocks throughout, the former Nice centre-back has filled in superbly for the injured Tim Ream and will need to be at his best again to keep out a physical Burnley forward line.

Past three-meetings...

Fulham 2 (McCormack, Dembele) Burnley 3 (Vokes x2, Gray), Championship, March 2016

Burnley 3 (Gray x2, Taylor) Fulham 1 (McCormack), Championship, November 2015

Fulham 3 (Murphy, Elm, Zamora) Burnley 0, Premier League, February 2010

Form guide...

Fulham: LL

Burnley: DWDDWL

Odds...

Fulham to win: 21/20

Burnley to win: 14/5

Draw: 12/5

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-vs-burnley-premier-league-preview-live-stream-tv-watch-what-time-kick-off-odds-team-news-a8505296.html

WhiteJC

Head Coach press conference

Slaviša Jokanović believes Burnley will embrace the engorged schedule that comes from balancing Premier League football with a European campaign.

The Clarets are currently in Greece as they face Olympiakos on Thursday evening in their Europa League Play-Off, just three days before heading to Craven Cottage.

But our Head Coach says it is the sort of problem that clubs should be embracing.

"The last two-and-a-half years I played Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday!" Jokanović stated. "They cannot complain. They had great success last season.

"Many people are talking about the Europa League and these kinds of successful steps that this team made.

"They were a promoted team [in 2014] and then relegated after the first attempt. Then they came back to the Premier League, survived one year, and then this last year had some really great achievements for Burnley.

"I believe it's not only one year, they've played with confidence for a few years, and in the end they are enjoying this situation playing Sunday, Thursday, Sunday, Thursday.

"We are going to try to find some kind of benefit from this game they are going to play tonight, but in the end we know what Burnley are about. They are never tired, they are running and fighting like a really crazy gang.

"I have respect for them, respect for how they play football, and respect for all the successful steps they have made these few seasons."

Sean Dyche won plenty of deserved respect for leading Burnley to a seventh placed finish last term, and Jokanović expects his team will only get better as their cohesion goes from strength to strength.

"They are one of the most settled teams in this competition," he explained. "They know each other and how they want to play, what the targets are for these players.

"The beginning of the season can be tough for us for this reason – we don't have this continuity, this time to know each other.

"I know our supporters, after two games, are going to expect some points. I expect we are going to find a great atmosphere in our stadium, like always last year.

"They were crucial in the past for our promotion, and I am sure we are going to find this support from the stands in the next game, too.

"We need to be competitive. We understand all the games present a chance to win, and this is another chance for us on Sunday afternoon.

"We know what we need, we need the victory, and we are going to try to force the situation to win the points."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/23/head-coach-press conference